Chapter Seven

Comfort Zone

Edited 11/17/14 


Perched on one of the outside benches at school, Taemin sat between Kibum's legs as the older played with his hair. Over the week it had become routine for them; Kibum would busy himself with various hairstyles he'd been dying to try but never could, and Taemin scoped the perimeter for Jonghyun.

Though they were on hair dresser-body guard terms, Kibum still wasn't sure how he felt about Taemin. They had become closer since Taemin started -blocking Jonghyun, but Kibum was still wary of Taemin's intentions. He wasn't used to people wanting to be his friend. Why should anyone start now? Completing up a nicely done waterfall braid, Kibum combed his fingers through Taemin's hair thinking of trying a fishtail next.

"You're not making my hair look weird, are you?"

Kibum shrugged despite Taemin not being able to see it. "Depends. How do you feel about fishtail braids? Would you prefer a ladder? Ooo, I should do a ladder combo."

"Um, no. I'm gay, not a girl."

Kibum's lips formed a tight line and his fingers tightened in Taemin's hair. "Thanks..."

"Aww, don't get upset," Taemin said in a dulcet voice as he leaned back against Kibum. Resting his hand on the back of Kibum's head, Taemin brought his temple level with his lips and pressed a chaste, dramatic kiss to it.  "There, all better?"

"People need to stop kissing me," Kibum grumbled.

"Your face is always so hard, I think people need to kiss you more. Maybe you'll smile once and while."

"Why would anybody even want to?"

Sitting up so Kibum could continue with his hair Taemin smiled. "Well, Jonghyun wants to because you're hot. I did it because that's just how I'm used to comforting my friends. Ask any of them, I've kissed 'em all. Even that stupid mutt."

"That doesn't bug Minho?"

"Ha, he ed about it once. I told him to shut his up 'cause he was the only one I kissed on the mouth. Haven't heard a peep of the matter since."

Grunting in response, Kibum opted for the ladder braid combo and started on the feather waterfall part of the combination. He let the feathers fall from the initial braid before using them to create a second one about two inches down. Once the ladder was almost all the way around the occipital part of Taemin's head, Kibum finished off the second braid normally. I wonder if Myungsoo would grow his hair out if I asked... Ha, hell nawh.

Adding the final twist, Kibum inspected his creation. "Can I tie it so it stays?"

"You want me to walk around with it?"

Pulling out a bundle of new hair ties, Kibum dangled them before Taemin. "Please?"

Taemin scrunched his nose in displeasure. "Do I have to?"

Kibum dropped his hand with downcast eyes. There wasn't a whole lot of things he enjoyed doing. When he thought about it, he could count his list of hobbies on one hand. That's why it hurt a little when people didn't humor him and his stupid fancies.

"No," Kibum said dejectedly.

Turning his head to face Kibum, Taemin felt like kicking himself. How Kibum had the ability to make you feel like the most putrid piece of he would never know.

"Uhg, fine. Do whatever you want."

"You don't have to..."

Shifting to face front again, Taemin waved his hand dismissively. "You're killing my soul with that expression. Seriously, you look so desolate. Just do it, I'm sure it'll look ing fabulous."

Taemin missed it, but Kibum blushed a little. With a feeble smile, Kibum gave Taemin a small hug around the waist.

"Holy , affection," Taemin laughed.

"Shut it, I'm trying to be friendly."

Pulling two of the thin, elastic bands off the cardboard, Kibum tied the two hanging braids off.

"Done."

"Fantastic. Here's my phone, snap a pic."

Taking a picture, Kibum held it out for Taemin to see.

"Well, would you look at that? Beautiful. I am so getting for this."

Stretching, Taemin stood and wiggled his . "My fell asleep and my bone hurts."  Rubbing his , Taemin pouted.

"Taemin... this may not be need to know information, but you do know that you have a nice keister, right?"

"I can't believe you said keister and yes, yes I know. I relish in it."

"Well, other people know you have a nice too and... you're just rubbing it for all to see. The ually desperate are drooling as we speak. Some are about to explode in their pants."

Taemin froze before laughing and shaking his . "And with that, I believe they're done," Taemin winked.

Scoffing, Kibum shook his head. "You're going to get ."

"They're too scared of Minho to me. If I may be so bold, you have a voluptuous booty yourself. I heard girls and boys alike groan when you bent down to pick up your pen in the hallway."

"That's... slightly disturbing."

"All great creations come with cost."

"Yes, well, my great creation just cost me my security."

Taemin smirked, plopping down next to Kibum. Lifting his legs, Taemin laid them over Kibum's thighs. "I will love you forever if you massage my calf muscles. Gym ed me up today."

Kibum rolled his eyes and shoved Taemin's legs off. "I can't very well do that in this position. Turn over onto your stomach."

Clapping joyfully, Taemin flipped on the bench and rested his chin on his crossed arms. Hiking a leg over the younger, Kibum settled on Taemin's hamstrings for better access to his claves. 

Extending his appendages, Kibum brought the heels of his hands down together on the back of the boy's left knee. Applying pressure, Kibum spread the heels of his hands, pulling Taemin's muscles. He worked his way down like that in rhythmical kneads until he got to the heel, then he wrung his fingers around his leg all the way back up.

"Jesus Christ, you're good with your hands," Taemin moaned.

"Myungsoo used to work a pretty physically demanding job. He always came home with aches and pains in his legs and back, so I looked a few things up to help make him feel better. Course I don't have any oils, so this isn't going to be the best. You're wearing pants, so it wouldn't have mattered."

"This is the , I don't know what you're talking about.

Kibum worked his way down and back up Taemin's left calf a few more times before switching to the right and repeating the process.

"Holy hell, will you marry me?" Taemin groaned.

"... If you let me do your hair whenever I want."

"I do that now."

"And keep it the way I style it."

"Done. Hey, can you do my back next?"

Somewhere off to the side, someone began laughing. "Hey, froggy, Taeminnie's getting married!"

Kibum flicked his eyes to the side to look at an amused Joon and a grumpy Minho. Onew was there too, but he was too busy "not" checking out Joon to care about Kibum and Taemin's engagement.

"Two weeks. You've been here two weeks and you've already stolen Taemin from me!" Minho whined.

"Should'a asked when you had the chance, frog," Taemin giggled.

Even though the situation was just a joke, Kibum saw the hurt in Minho's eyes. He looked so painfully crestfallen. The doesn't really think I'm taking Taemin, does he?

"Taemin, Frogger is brooding," Kibum pointed out.

Taemin glanced at Minho and tsked. Wriggling out from under Kibum and sitting upright, he reached his arms our and beckoned Minho closer. "Oh, come here you big baby."

Minho grumbled as he shuffled over to Taemin. Taemin wrapped his fingers around Minho's thighs and planted a kiss on his abdomen. "You know I love you, I don't see why you're adamant on ignoring it," Taemin said into his stomach. Minho blushed and mumbled out, "Na-do saranghae."

"I don't understand why you won't ask him out," Joon said from where he was hanging on a hyperventilating Onew.

"Why won't you ask out Onew?" Minho shot back.

"Two reasons. One, this is the first time he hasn't high-tailed it at the sight of me since you're little stormed the shower with him. Two, he's in denial about liking me right now and will say no if I ask. See, I'm being smart. You're just being a ."

"Alright, -face. I'm gonna shove my foot so far up your you'll be tasting toes till Tuesday."

Pulling away from Taemin, Minho rounded on Joon.

"You gotta catch me first, frog legs," Joon taunted, letting go of Onew and taking off.

"Get back here, asswipe!" Minho yelled bolting after Joon.

Sighing, Taemin leaned back against the table. "He's so stupid," he mumbled picking at his cuticles.

"Why is he so insecure?" Kibum wondered aloud.

Dropping his hands in his lap Taemin said, "Remember when I said we've been lovey dovey for the past two years?"

"Yes."

"Well... it started out as a ruse to get Kai's attention. I had the biggest of crushes on him when I was in seventh grade. I didn't know how to tell him, so I asked Minho to help me make him like me back. Long story short, it didn't work on Kai, but it did on Minho."

Taemin's eyes followed Minho as he chased Joon down and tackled him to the ground. He chuckled a little as he watched them roll in the grass.

"Taemin didn't like Minho back at first," Onew jumped in, finally recovering from his panic attack. "It wasn't until half way through his eighth grade year that Taemin developed feelings for him. Now Minho thinks he's just a distraction from Kai. He loves Tae, but he doesn't want to be the rebound."

"Oh... then... maybe it's time for the grand gesture," Kibum said nonchalantly.

"What?"

"Ya know. That one thing you can do to show him you're truly sincere."

"Uh... sleep with him?"

"No, . Think deeper. Use us an example. Keeping your hair up was a grand gesture."

Taemin thought hard about it before standing up abruptly. "I got it!" He went to take off before pausing and asking, "What do you mean keeping my hair like this was a grand gesture? Did it really mean that much?"

"Why wouldn't it? You did it because you knew it would make me happy," Kibum said with a stony face that contradicted the fuzzy feeling he had.

"Does that mean we're friends?"

Kibum had a mental debate before giving Taemin a stiff nod. "I'm still not... a hundred percent there yet."

Taemin grinned and said, "I'll take it," before making his leave.

Kibum juggled the event around in his head. He actually thought of Taemin as a friend. He couldn't tell him everything like with Myungsoo, but he was his friend none the less.

"One down, three more to go," Onew joked. Shifting from foot to foot, Onew flashed that signature eye smile Kibum's way. "I'm going to go find Minho and Joon. They're really going to beat each other's asses if someone doesn't stop them."

Now, the first rule of hiding was to not be out in the open. The second was to have someone looking where you weren't. Kibum wasn't doing either, and that proved to be a major mistake in the end. He nearly in his drawers when large hands clapped down on his thin shoulders. Seriously, one of these days I'm going to crap in my pants. There'll be no warning, just duce.

"Yoeboseyo, Kibummie!" Jonghyun laughed out.

"Jesus, I'm alone for thirty Goddamn seconds..."

Jonghyun smirked and sat down with Kibum.  "Should have known better by now. How's my little foxy doing?"

"I was fine till you got here," Kibum mumbled under his breath.

"Ouch. Harsh. And here I am trying to love you."

"Well could you not?" Kibum spat. I shouldn't have to hide all the ing time. I should be able to walk around campus without looking over my shoulder!

"What kind of predator would I be if I let my prey off so easily?" Jonghyun sniggered.

"A smart one. Go away, I don't have the patience for you today."

"Psh, come on, that's boring. Hey, have you been to the school garden yet? We should go there."

Jonghyun snatched up Kibum's hand and pulled him up from the bench, trying to drag him off. Growling, Kibum wrenched his hand away, holding his fist defensively against his chest.

"Seriously, would you just off?!"

Kibum wasn't hostile like many people with PPD, but he'd be lying if he said he didn't have an occasional spurt of rage.

"I don't understand what you want. I'm not avoiding you for s and giggles! I'm sure there are plenty of other people willing to spread their legs for you, so would you leave me the hell alone?"

Jonghyun stared at him, dumbfounded. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish, speechless. Kibum continued in his silence.

"I don't have anything you could want. What is it that you want anyway?"

Finding his voice, Jonghyun managed a strained, "Nothing..."

"Bull. You want in my pants, right? Taemin said you kept staring. Sorry, but I'm not about any wham-bam-thank-you-mans."

"No, I just wanted -"

"I know what you wanted," Kibum hissed through clenched teeth. "And you're not getting it. Do me a favor and stay the away from me."

Kibum stormed off leaving a shocked Jonghyun rooted in his spot. He didn't understand what had just happened. He never insinuated that he wanted to have with Kibum. Where did that even come from?

"You shouldn't play with fire, Jonghyun."

Turning, he saw Onew with a scratched up Minho and Joon at his sides.

"What?"

With a sigh, Onew hooked him around the neck and pulled him off. "I think you and me need to have a little talk about sensitivity."


It was Saturday and Kibum couldn't be happier. No school, no therapy session, no Jonghyun, and no more crazy, parents. He was nearly shaking in the passenger seat of Myungsoo's car, Pie in his lap, as they followed a small moving truck to Sungyeol's apartment complex.

"Don't piss yourself over there, cub. I actually like my car," Myungsoo joked.

Ignoring his hyung, Kibum wiggled around restlessly in his seat. Why is it taking so ing longggg.

"Calm down, Bummie, we're almost there."

Dude, I'm still ignoring you. Kibum squished his cheek to the glass and whined. He wanted out of the car so freakin' bad. He dug his French leopard print nails into the upholstery in his agitation.

"I just went through a lot of trouble to get custody of you, so it would be a shame to have to kill you. Get your talons out of my ing seat."

Kibum stuck his tongue out at Myungsoo but released his poor sear from the tight, manicured grip. Glancing back out the window, Kibum smacked Myungsoo when he saw the moving truck pull into an apartment building parking lot.

"Myungsoo look! Look, look, look!" Kibum wacked Myungsoo's shoulder between each look.

"Dude, I see. Stop hitting me, you're digging your claws into my arm."

Kibum was already unbuckling his seatbelt when Myungsoo pulled into the lot behind the moving van. Be couldn't get out fast enough as he fumbled with the handle. He fell ever so clumsily out of the car with Pie when the door finally opened.

"Jesus Christ, slow down before you hurt yourself, child."

Looking up from his spot on the gravel, Kibum saw Sungyeol smiling over him. Sungyeol hauled him up from the ground and brushed off his back.

"You'd think he knows he has a present waiting for him in the apartment," Myungsoo winked.

Uh, no, but I do now! Kibum jumped up and down like a five year old. He was going to be totally stoic and boring later, but he was to be a little boy again for the next few hours.

"What present? I wanna present. Is it pepero? I like pepero..."

Myungsoo shook his head. "Nope. But you can't have it till all of your boxes are in your room."

"It better be amazing if I'm lifting stuff. This manicure was 50,000 won. I'm making you pay for it if I brake a nail..."

"We just spent 700,000 won on your present, so you can shut up," Myungsoo snorted.

What the hell did they get that cost 700,000 won? Maybe a TV? No, he knows I don't watch TV. Maybe the biggest stuffed elephant known to mankind.

Kibum followed Myungsoo and Sungyeol to his... well, their apartment with Pie and one box full of clothes held tightly in his arms. He hoped the apartment wasn't grungy. Myungsoo wouldn't agree to live with a grease monkey, would he? They finally made it to a mahogany door with a big 407 on the front. Okay, time for the moment of truth.

Sungyeol twisted the door knob as best he could with his stack of boxes and knocked the door open with his . Kibum followed close behind Myungsoo as he observed the apartment, and, Oh my God, it looked like the ing coffee shop!

His large living room had small, overstuffed furniture and multiple beanbags just like the coffee shop. The huge TV was different, but that wasn't what Kibum was focuses on. He took a whiff and noticed the place smelled just like coffee beans. It's like he brought work home with him.

The kitchen was, of course, full of multitudes of different coffee with a few types of tea thrown into the mix. It was fairly large, which was nice, with pretty marble counters, polished wooden cabinets, a grey-tiled floor, and a stainless steel fridge. You don't get marble counters on a coffee makers paycheck, what the ?

"Um... why do you live in coffee beans?"

Sungyeol looked at Kibum and shrugged. "I like coffee."

"He orders extra coffee at the shop just so he can bring the home. I think he just snuffs it, I don't know if I've ever seen him drink it," Myungsoo cracked.

"You don't get in trouble for stealing their coffee?"

"No, because it's my coffee. I own the shop," Sungyeol said.

Well, that explains the marble...

"Um... where do I put my stuff?"

"Oh! This way."

Sungyeol and Myungsoo led Kibum down the hall to a room at the end. Myungsoo pushed open the door to reveal a plain, untouched bedroom with a big bed. Like, seriously, it looked like it could fit five people.

"You're going to love the closet," Myungsoo said angling his head towards a closed door.

Walking over, box and Pie still in hand, Kibum managed to open an oversized door. This big door better mean huge closet. Peering inside he nearly squealed because what proper fashionista would not flip over a walk in closet?

The room was almost completely white with off-white carpet, and a plush, black bench in the middle. It had a black lamp shade-like light fixture that created a butterfly looking picture on the ceiling when he flicked the light on. There were literally like twenty drawers, forty cubbies, and five spots to hang clothes. At the end of the short hall was a rectangular window with a shoe case sitting under it that could hold eighteen pairs of shoes. Okay... alright. I think I might cry.

"Do you like it?" Myungsoo asked.

"Do you know... how many shoes I can fit in all of those cubbies?"

"Goddammit, I didn't think about that..."

Dropping his box (not Pie, you don't just drop Pie) Kibum squeezed the ever loving daylights out of Myungsoo.

", stop trying to kill me with your love! Ya know I'm not the one who gave you this room, right?"

"I can't hug Sungyeol," Kibum said into the crook of Myungsoo's neck.

"Oh? And why not?"

"'Causeeeee. He's weird..."

Sungyeol sputtered in the doorway while Myungsoo hooted with laughter. "Bwahaha, oh God. And, um... why is that?"

"He has an abnormal infatuation with coffee! Did you look at his coffee beans? He has Kopi Luwak. Do you know how much that costs? Do you know where that comes from? Besides that, if he has coffee beans, he must have a coffee bean grinder. He grinds his own coffee Myungsoo, and then apparently snorts it like ! That's weird."

"Hey, that coffee's really good!" Sungyeol defended. "And don't listen to Myungsoo, I don't snort ground coffee."

Kibum pulled away from Myungsoo and gave him the best puppy eyes he could pull. "Sooo... can I have my present?"

"After you get all your boxes."

Kibum huffed and grumbled about 50,000 won pedicures for the entirety of the heavy lifting. The heavy lifting he did, that is. Around the twenty-fifth box- he had a lot of - Kibum conked out on the bare mattress and didn't wake up for anything. Myungsoo thought he looked precious, and ended up carrying the remaining sixteen boxes Kibum had to his room.

"Kibummie... sweetheart... you've been asleep for three hours. It's one in the afternoon," Myungsoo whispered.

Kibum inhaled deeply and smiled at the addicting scent that is coffee beans. Eyes fluttering, he blinked the cloudiness away and took in the nerd before him. Funny. He could have sworn Myungsoo had woken him... nope, there he is.

Kibum twisted around to face his hyung, who was grinning above him on the bed.

"Did the baby have a nice nap?"

" off," Kibum mumbled tiredly.

"Such a potty mouth! I think we need to take his present back, Sungyeol."

"Noooo," Kibum whined. He hooked his fingers loosely on Myungsoo's shoulders and pulled himself up. Resting his head on Myungsoo's chest, Kibum fought the sleep still tugging on his brain.

"Where ith it?" Kibum slurred.

"Sungyeol has him."

Kibum squinted at Sungyeol, looking over the fact that Myungsoo said him. He looked at the blurry fluff ball Sungyeol was holding up and scoffed.

"Who pays 700,000 won for a cotton ball?"

Sungyeol chuckled and held the cotton ball out for Kibum. "Who wouldn't pay for a walking cotton ball?"

Kibum blinked confusedly before rubbing his eyes. Giving the cotton ball another look over Kibum gaped. Wrapped in Myungsoo's long fingers was a fluffy little kitten with a dark blue bow tied around his middle. Kibum reached forward tentatively and plucked the Siamese Munchkin he had asked for two years ago out of Sungyeol's hands.

The tiny kitten mewled and squirmed before settling comfortably into Kibum's arms like the baby he was. He tucked his stubby legs up into his fuzzy chest and kneaded his paws into Kibum's side. The kitten latched his mouth onto Kibum's shirt and led, purring.

"Why is he my shirt?"

"The breeder said he was just weaned and still tries to le on people's shirts and fingers. It's normal, he'll stop if we don't let him do it," Myungsoo said, scratching behind the kitten's little ear.

"But I'll feel bad if I make him stop."

"Yeah, we couldn't do it either. Maybe he'll grow out of it?"

Rocking the kitten, Kibum cooed to the fury bundle. He's so little...

"T-Thank you," Kibum stuttered. He gave Myungsoo a quick kiss on the cheek so he could get back to staring at his new baby.

"Sungyeol actually paid the most for him. We split the cost of the kitten, but he paid for the food, and the litter, and the cat box, and the toys, and the bow..."

"Myungsoo, do you want me to say thank you to your boyfriend?"

"Well, I want you to think of him as your hyung too, but thank you is a start."

Sungyeol leaned forward onto the bed expectantly. Does he want a kiss too? Um, okay...

Kibum bent down to press the same fast kiss to Sungyeol's cheek, pulling away with a pissy face and flushed cheeks. Sungyeol held his equally red cheek with wide eyes.

"Oh... i-is that not what you wanted?"

"That's not what I was expecting."

"That's... embarrassing," Kibum said, averting his gaze and shrinking into himself.

Both Myungsoo and Sungyeol laughed at him. ing s. I changed my mind, screw Sungyeol. He can it.

"Your dongsaeng is adorable."

"Isn't he?"

"Go away before you make me cry, jerks."

Myungsoo hugged Kibum from behind. "Aww don't cry. What'cha gonna name him?"

Looking at his baby boy, Kibum watched him on his shirt, leaving a quarter sized saliva spot.

"Um... Keikeu."

"Aish, what's with you and sweets?"

"I could have named him French Curl, be happy it's Keikeu."

Kibum played around with Keikeu till he fell asleep on the bed before unpacking. He filled up all the hangers on the poles, half the drawers, and the whole shoe case. This means more clothes, hell to the yes.

Shutting the closet door, Kibum stared at the many boxes still needing unpacking.  Uh, that. What time is it? Five... I want food.

Kibum walked down the hall noticing various pictures covering the walls. They mainly consisted of Myungsoo, Sungyeol, and those boys he met at the coffee shop. He was pretty sure that one's name was Sungjong, but that was about it.

"Myungsoo?" He called from the end of the hall.

"I'm in the living room."

"So not making food?"

"No, I ordered pizza."

Dragging his feet to where Myungsoo was laying down on one of the couches, Kibum flopped down on top of him.

"Oh, . Seriously dude, didn't we have a discussion about this earlier?"

"Saranghae," Kibum said quietly. "And... thank you for... everything."

Myungsoo rubbed Kibum's back and pecked the top of his head. "Anything for my cub."


Hello people, how you be doing? If you're doing good, good for you. If not then tomorrow is a new day. This chapter was so hard to write, which is why it took longer than the others. I have things that I want to happen, but it's too early for any of them to happen. Like, I was planning on something, like, pretty significant happening around chapter fifteen, but I need the chapters eight-fourteen before that can happen and it . Can we just pretend I wrote those chapters? No? Dammit... Hey, guess what? My friend was pregnant and she had her baby! Don't mentally think congrats though because she's seventeen and the father is a no good she won't get rid of. Ah, the stupid life of American teenagers I can never and will never figure out.

Okay, time for the pictures I put up at the end of every frickin' chapter.

Waterfall Braid

Fishtail Braid

Ladder Braid Combo

Yay, hair. I didn't know two of these existed before this chapter.

These are Kibum's nails because I found 'em and I thought they were awesome sauce.

Time for a little lesson on coffee. Do any of you know what Kopi Luwak coffee is? It is an Indonesian brand that is one of the, if not the most, expensive brands of coffee in the world, ranging anywhere from $115 to $590 dollars per 500 grams. To put that into perspective, it takes roughly 30 grams of ground coffee to make 6 ounces approximately. You can make almost seventeen 6 ounce cups per 500 grams. Based off the price range per 500 grams, that means it would cost you anywhere from $6.76 to $34.71 for one 6 once cup of coffee. I know, that's bull no matter which price it is. You want to know what makes it even worse? These coffee beans are found inside berries eaten by this fox-weasel animal called a Luwak (they are adorable). The luwaks can't digest the beans, so they pass them on. That's how they get the beans, hence the Luwak part of Kopi Luwak. The beans came out of animal booty, and some genius thought, "Hmm, I bet that would make a great cup of coffee." Ain't that something? 

Now that that rant is over, here's Keikeu! (means what it sounds like. Cake.)

This is the walk in closet. I decided that Sungyeol's apartment was going to be the right around the time I was writing about the kicthen.

That's it, I think... Um...Oh, I guess I'll say that 50,000 won is around $50 and 700,000 won is around $700. Sorry if the chapter is boring, I'm trying not to bull my way to chapter fifteen. Next chapter is going to be, oddly enough, from Taemin and Onew's perspective, so that'll be new. See ya guys, byeeeeee :D