Chapter 8

Moving on from Grief

 

Chapter 8

 


 

Luhan blinks awake, his hands automatically stretching out to the right, reaching for the rough features of Yifan. His fingertips touch smooth skin, soft and sinewy. The haze of sleep fades away,and Luhan remembers. The thin body is familiar to him and Luhan instinctively curls into his warmth. Kai grumbles in his sleep, shifting to accommodate Luhan. Luhan feels a warmth press against his back, and he nuzzles further into Kai's arms. When the heat follows him, Luhan distangles himself, to investigate the source of the heat.

What Luhan does not remember is how Sehun got into the bed with them. He blinks again, then reaches out a hand to poke the lanky boy, half hopeful he was a creation of Luhan's sleep deprived brain and that Luhan could just turn around and wrap Kai's arms around him.

When his finger meets solid body, Luhan brain jumps into high alert. He immediately shakes Kai, shushing the boy as he wakes up, grumpily and loudly. Kai is still sleepy, looking less like a charm and more like a baby who got his candy stolen. Luhan his hair, hand tracing his face. Kai takes his hand, and sleepily presses a kiss to his fingers.

Luhan just points to Sehun, unable to explain. Kai blinks, reaching over to poke Sehun, the same way Luhan had. He studies the body lying in their bed and tries to come up with a reasonable explanation.

"What is he doing in here?"

"I don't know. If I knew, why would I wake you?"

"He wasn't here when we fell asleep."

"I think I would have remembered that. I really think we would have noticed."

"You do realize that we were a little preoccupied."

"I still think I'd notice if there was a third person in the rooms while we got...busy"

"Maybe he's into watching, like a voyeur."

"That...that sounds like a lot of fun."

"How long has he been here?"

"How would I know?" Luhan whispers increase in volume as he becomes increasingly exasperated. He watches as Kai quietly slides out of the bed, frowning as he continues to puzzle over the mystery that is Oh Sehun.

"Is he bothering you?"

"Not really...Normally, I'd think he'd wait til we extended an invitation."

"Do you really want to extend an invitation to that scrawny thing?"

"Mayyybeeeee..."

"So really, what's the problem..."

"I have no idea."

"Then why'd you wake me up?"

"Maybe I like it when you're all sleepy and growly...."

"Oh?"

Kai grins as Luhan straddles him, mouths connected, hips rolling in time. Kai groans, the sound low and deep in throat, as he nibbles against Luhan's lips, on his bottom lip. They break apart, when a snuffling sound interrupts their make out session. Luhan looks over, disgruntled as Sehun turns in his sleep.

"What do we do with him?"

"Come on," Kai reaches over, taking Luhan's hand in his, pulling the smaller male up. Luhan follows wordlessly, as Kai closes his room door as quietly as possible.

"Where are we going?"

"Baekhyunnie hyung."

"Why are we going to Baekkie's room?"

"Why are you whispering?"

"I don't...AHHHH!" Luhan clutches his chest, as he falls against Kai, staring wide eyed at Yixing, who he swears has materialized out of nowhere. Kai clutches him close, staring at Yixing with wide eyes.

"So why are you whispering?"

"I...it's...oh my god..." Luhan continues to clutch his chest, sinking to his knees in shock, feeling his heartbeat stutter, Kai sinking behind him.

"We have...we wanted...to...see Baekhyunnie hyung,"

"What are you doing out here?"

"I'm making a call?"

"To who? Satan?"

"To Joonie...why would I call Satan at this time of the night?"

Luhan clambered back to his feet, pulling Kai up with him, as the two inch towards Baekhyun's room, an eye on Yixing, who waves them off with a smile.

Kai slides into Baekhyun's room with ease, Luhan following behind him. Luhan clambers into his bed, gently shaking the snoring male.

Baekhyun sputters awake, blindly whipping his hand around, "Kim Jongdae, you keep that filth out of my house!" Luhan giggles as he watches Baekhyun come out of his sleep. Kai stands by the door, leaning against the frame, a fond smile adorning his face.

"Hannie? Jongie? What's going on? Are you okay?" Baekhyun takes Luhan's face in his hands, examining the boy. He waves Kai over, smiling his rectangular smile, as Kai walks over and slides into Baekhyun's lap. Baekhyun his hair, cooing over the sleepy boy. "Did you have a nightmare, Jongie?"

"Sehun is in our bed," Luhan blurts, still trying to get over the fact. Baekhyun stares at Luhan, blinking rapidly, before his face turns to stone. He marches out of his room, with Kai and Luhan trailing after him. The two clutch each other tighter, as they pass the Yixing's room, bracing themselves for any surprises.

Baekhyun just looks at them, shaking his head with a slight smile, before resuming his march towards Luhan's and Kai's room. He throws the door open, the loud crash reverberating through the room.

"KIM SEHUN! JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?"

A thud is heard from the room, as Sehun rolls off the bed in shock. Luhan laughs as he takes in the wild eyed Sehun, hair sticking from his head as he tries to unravel himself from the blankets. Sehun blinks, examining the room, before turning to them.

"Where am I?"

Luhan giggles and walks over to Sehun, ,sitting on the bed, smoothing his hair down. Sehun, in turn, lays his head in Luhan's lap, seemingly fading back to sleep. He was content to simply fall back to sleep, his drowsy state only made worse by the lull in Luhan's soft voice and the gentle motions of his hand.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THIS ROOM? WHAT WERE YOU PLANNING TO DO TO MY BEAUTIFUL BABIES?" Baekhyun roars, and Sehun starts awake, completely terrified. He backs away, scrambling on his knees, trying to escape the deathly grip Baekhyun would have had on his head, had it not been for the bed acting as a barrier.

Kai settles behind Luhan, resting his body on Luhan's back, smirking as he watches Baekhyun chase Sehun around the room. Sehun's legs tangle beneath him and he rolls on the floor, whimpering in pain. Kai laughs, amused as the male continues rolling on the floor, Baekhyun watching him, the way a lion would a gazelle.

Baekhyun stands over him, tiny in comparison to the taller male, and yet Sehun cowers in fear underneath him.

"KIM SEHUN, AREN'T YOU GOING TO ANSWER ME? WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

By this point, Baekhyun was smirking, enjoying his little game. Yixing slinks into the room, phone to his ear, "Baek, could you tell Joonie you aren't murdering anyone? He thinks this environment is unsafe."

"ARE YOU GOING TO ANSWER ME OR WILL I HAVE TO TORTURE IT OUT OF YOU?"

Yixing blinks, "maybe this was a bad idea," he mutters, walking out of the room, assuring Joonmyeon that, no he was not living in a mad house.

Sehun whimpers again, curling into his body on the floor.

"Please! Dae-hyung wasn't home, and there were all these sounds, and I got really scared, so I came here." Sehun mumbles, hands thrown over his head.

Baekhyun relents, studying Sehun with scrutinizing eyes. He gently kneels down, sitting on Sehun's stomach. "Were you afraid?" He Sehun's face, uncharacteristically gentle. He moves off of Sehun, pulling the boy against him, his hand a comforting prescence in Sehun's hair. Sehun unconsciously leans into Baekhyun's embrace, the warmth soothing him.

Sehun nods, tears building in his eyes, "there were really loud noises, and things were crashing. And I got really scared." He shivers and curls into Baekhyun's arms, with Baekhyun tightening his embrace around him.

Baekhyun nods, pulling Sehun up with him. He pats the terrified boy's shoulder, wrapping an arm around his waist, "you wanna stay here or you wanna go with me to check out your room?"

"Can I...can I just stay here tonight? Please? I'll even sleep on the couch."

Baekhyun shakes his head, "my bed can fit the both of us, come on." He drags the boy with him, calling out a cheery good night over his shoulder. Luhan and Kai stares at the door, slightly surprised. Although Luhan knew that Baekhyun was the type to tease the people he cared about, he was surprised because the only other person Luhan had seen on the receiving end of Baekhyun's twisted love was Yifan and Jongdae.

"I always knew he had a soft spot for him," Luhan muses, falling back on the bed, sprawling back the sheets.

Kai grunts, burying himself in the blankets, pulling them over his head. Luhan smiles, patting the lump where Kai's head lay. He snuggles down, smiling when Kai makes a hole in the blanket, drawing him close.

Luhan breathes in Kai's scent, the heady scent filling his head, surrounding him, sending him into a lulled state. Luhan closes his eyes, buries his head in Kai's shoulder, Kai silently shifting so that Luhan fit against his body comfortably. They drift to sleep, a slow fall that reassures them.

 


 

"I'VE LOST SEHUN!" Jongdae screams says he enters the apartment in a panic. Five pairs of eyes swing to stare at him. Jongdae stops in his tracks, taking in the sight of Sehun sitting at the table, a fork suspended in mid air.

Jongdae flings himself towards Sehun, draping himself over the boy, as he wails loudly. "I THOUGHT I LOST YOU! WHY'D YOU RUN AWAY?" Sehun flinched, trying to push his clingy roommate away.

"He slept here," Baekhyun said, carefully placing his scrambled eggs onto Sehun's plate. "He had a nightmare."

Jongdae took a moment to absorb the information, his eyes twinkling. "Did you sleep well with mommy?" Jongdae teases.

"I...well...Yes." Sehun hangs his head, as he gives in to the crazy the is Jongdae and Baekhyun. Baekhyun grins, patting Sehun on the head. Chanyeol stares at them both, amusement evident on his face.

"I found them coiled up together, Sehun clinging to Baekhyun like a baby. They looked so peaceful. It felt so wrong waking them up."

"I am not a baby! I was just...having a good night's sleep without Dae hyung going 'click click click' at the speed of light at the crack of dawn." Sehun waved his hand, imitating what he thought Jongdae's face looked like when he was hunched ovr his computer.

"Kim Sehun, be nice to your hyungs!"

"I...I..."

"Apologize to Yeollie."

"Why are you so nice to him!"

"I didn't find him in bed with my children."

"I'm sorry, Yeol-hyung."

"why don't I get an apology?"

"Now was that so hard, Kim Sehun?"

"Can we please never speak of this again?"

"Why are you ignoring me?"

Kai smirked, "welcome to the family, Kim Sehun." Too focused on the giggling Luhan, Kai misses the stare the Chanyeol directs at him, until he is pulled out of his reverie.

"I am Oh Sehun. Oh!"

"Kim Sehun, can you pass me the ketchup?" Yixing giggles, palm out for the bottle. Sehun levels a glare, a growl passing his lips, as he snatches the bottle and throws it at Yixing. Sehun does not even flinch when Baekhyun flicks his forehead.

"Stop ignoring me!"

"I am Oh Sehun!"

"I am standing right here!" Jongdae shovels a spoonful of eggs into his mouth, mocking Sehun who tried to slap his hands away.

"Kim Sehun, eat your eggs. You still need to shower. You're going to be late for class."

"... Yes hyung."

"Jongdae, stop eating your son's eggs. There's more on the stove."

"Aren't you going to serve me, jagiya?"

"After you stayed out all night, and abandoned our stepson at home, you can serve yourself," Baekhyun promptly replied.

Jongdae pouts, reaching over to hug Baekhyun.

"I didn't mean to. I had to finish my coding project. So I was working at the library because someone," Jongdae swung his head around to glare at the retreating back of a certain Kim Sehun, "thought it was funny to keep plugging and unplugging my wires just so that I wouldn't be able to type my codes. Before I knew it, it was morning."

"Did you do well?"

"A+, I'm hoping."

"You could have called," Baekhyun frowned, watching Luhan and Kai clear the table. "Sehun was scared," he mumbled against Jongdae's ear.

Jongdae winced, "I really didn't mean to leave him by himself at night. I didn't think he'd freak out..."

Sehun pops from the corner, holding a pair of jeans and a shirt that Kai had loaned him, "mind if I borrow your shower?"

"What are you supposed to say?"

"Hyung?"

"..."

"Omma..." Sehun gave in, giving up all pretenses, simply letting Baekhyun have his way.

Baekhyun smiled, a wide grin taking up half his face. "Go on, Kim Sehun. You know the way. Scrub behind your ears."

Sehun shook his head, one hand rubbing the back of his neck, his face flushing red as he shuffles to the bathroom, grumbling to himself. 

"Not that I'm complaining, okay, maybe I am a little, but since when has Chanyeol become part of this family?"

"Your second ex wife dropped him off. Apparently, now he's your responsibility."

"Ah, I see. And here I thought he was trying to replace me. That still doesn't explain why he's eating here though," Jongdae points at Chanyeol, who continues eating as though he was not part of the conversation.

Chanyeol grins, looking even more like an insane lunatic than he already did with his frizzy red hair and black buttons downs tucked into his jeans. Jongdae quietly plans to burn down Chanyeol's wardrobe while Barkhyun tried to find ways to chop all his hair off. "My roommate pretty much lives in this apartment and it's lonely eating...well alone.

Jongdae chuckles, arms draped over Baekhyun's waist, chin snugly fitted on his shoulder, nodding in acquiescence to Chanyeol's words. "You can always come over to our place, if it gets a little too wild here." Baekhyun smacked him in the arm.

"Baek-ah, feed me..."

"Feed yourself Dae-ah."

Jongdae pouts, pressing closer. His face fitted against Baekhyun's neck, Jongdae slyly grins when he feels the stiffness in the smaller's shoulders. Deciding to push things along just a little, because for all his patience, Jongdae is a little miffed, that Baekhyun has not said anything or tried anything, not even the light flirting that used to go on between them, Jongdae presses a kiss to Baekhyun's neck. Baekhyun squeaks, his face coloring rapidly, his shoulders tensing even further. Jongdae presses another kiss, his arms tightening, before releasing Baekhyun, smirking to himself, as he walks over to the stove.

Out of the corner of his eye, he watches Baekhyun trying to control himself, waving his hands over his face to cool the heat down. When Luhan and Kai barrel into the kitchen, bags slung over their shoulders, Baekhyun turns his attention to them. Jongdae notices how messy Luhan's hair is, how reddened Kai's neck is, how the both of them seem relaxed, and Jongdae knows they have done a lot more than shower in that shower. Jongdae notes the disapproving scowl on Chanyeol's face and wonders how that would play out. This would be fun.

"Need a ride, my darlings?" Jongdae smiles, his hands already reaching for Luhan. Kai snatches Luhan away, scowling and batting away Jongdae's hands. Jongdae chances a glance back, making a note of the scowl on  Chanyeol's face.

"If you're driving them, you should take all of us."

"How I'm going to fit six people, I don't know."

"Sehun can sit in the trunk." Chanyeol chokes on his orange juice, the moment the words spill from Baekhyun's mouth. He coughs, Jongdae pounding on his back, before looking up with red eyes.

"I have a car...I can take some people..." He offers.

"I call Lulu and Baekkie!" Jongdae announces, pausing. "And since Lulu and Jong- dammit- Kai are a package deal, I guess I got him too." Jongdae grins again, as the same frown makes it's way on Chanyeol's face, the gears in his head turning.

"Alright then, it's a plan."

Jongdae nods, waving his hand. He walks over to the couch, settling himself in it. He pats the cushion next to him. "Come sit with me, Lulu."

Luhan grins, tossing himself into the couch, cuddling up against Jongdae. He, in turn, wraps an arm around Luhan's shoulder, patting the seat on his other side for Kai. Kai huffs, dropping next to Luhan, tugging his waist, pulling him into his lap. Luhan giggles, wiggling on Kai's lap. Jongdae pouts, his arms hugging air. Chanyeol laughs from his seat in the armchair, still glancing repeatedly at Kai. He bit his lip when Kai nuzzled Luhan's neck, looking away, the same frown making his way on his face.

Sehun laughs loudly, Yixing laughing behind him, at the scene before them.

Sehun tosses himself on the couch, into Jongdae's arms while Yixing sits beside him. Sehun coos towards his hyung's betrayed expression as Yixing pats him comfortingly on the back, all while holding back on his snorts.

Kai grins, hugging Luhan, watching as Jongdae splutters. He wails for Baekhyun, who strolls in moments later, asking who died, if they had died in Chanyeol's hair. Chanyeol puffs his cheeks, large hands running through his hair.

"There's nothing wrong with my hair," he protest, to which Baekhyun laughs at. 

"You and me, we're going to see my stylist someday."

"Stop ignoring me!" Jongdae pouts, crossing his arms, looking like a petulant child. Luhan obliges, leaning over Sehun, to peck Jongdae on the cheek. Jongdae grins, his mood becoming something akin to sunshine, as he immediately hugs Luhan, uncaring of the sputtering protests of Sehun who is stuck between them. Kai simply watches, ever amused by Jongdae's antics. Chanyeol watches them, mostly Kai, Jongdae muses, his eyes stuck to the tanned male.

With his back to Baekhyun, Jongdae misses the glare leveled at his back, too busy making Sehun's life miserable. With a loud huff and an irritated mutter spilling from his mouth, Baekhyun stalks to the couch, pulling Luhan back, "We need to leave, or we'll be late."

Jongdae stretches his body, climbing off the couch, brandishing his car keys. 

"Let us go on an adventure."


 

Author's note: here's a light and fluffy chapter that I really liked. It took me awhile to figure out what to write!thank you to my lovely commenters and my wonderful subscribers! I'm always looking forward to that orange words on the side of my screen. Thank you all your words of encouragement and for liking my story.

Tell me what you think guys!

I wrote this in mobile so please let me know if you see any errors.

Happy readings! Subscribe above and comment below guys!