Chapter 12

Moving on from Grief

Chapter 12

 


 

 

Baekhyun blinks awake, and finds himself wrapped securely around a warm body. While this was not exactly unusual, what was unusual was Baekhyun's urge to stay. His urge to drag his fingers through the dark, silky hair. His urge to trace the strong jawline, and to plant kisses along the pale forehead. His urge to tighten his hold on the sleeping boy, to adjust his head so that he would not be uncomfortable against Baekhyun's hard shoulder.

Baekhyun was terrified.

He ignores his urges and slides out of bed, wincing when Jongdae lets out a sleepy whine, turning over in his bed. He runs to the bathroom, shoving his legs into the first pair of underwear he sees, grabbing his phone out of the nightstand and locks himself in. He slams his head against the counter when he realizes he has the wrong phone. He dials a number he has memorized by heart and prays the lazy will answer the phone.

"Byun Baekhyun! Do you know what time it is? It's....it's eight....it's ing eight in the ing morning, you jackass. On a Saturday. I hope you're dying or..."

"I slept with Jongdae."

"I'm sorry. Say that again." The tone is harsh and cold, demanding an explanation.

"I slept with Jongdae."

"I'm coming over, you jackass."

Baekhyun is met with the dial tone and he hangs his head, sitting on the toilet seat, panicking over his panic attack. He takes a deep breath and washes his hands, splashing water on his face. He steps out of the bathroom, going back into the bedroom. He studies Jongdae on the bed, dark hair messily strewn on the white sheets, the blankets falling to his waist, revealing a toned chest, his trail disappearing into the white. His arms are stretched out, as he sleeps out his back, his chest lightly rising and falling with each breath. Baekhyun smirks as he sees the dark bruises strewn over the column of Jongdae's neck, trailing down to his chest. He remembers carving them into Jongdae's skin, the whimpers and whines still ringing in his ears, as Jongdae tugs against his hair. He recalls the pleas, the begging, all music to his ears, the sweetest melody Jongdae had ever sung, in Baekhyun's opinion.

A goofy smile spreads across Baekhyun's face as he walks towards the bed, sitting down, and leaning in to peer at Jongdae's sleeping face, the kiss swollen lips, the fluttering lashes, the slight hitch in Jongdae's throat as he breathes. He the dark hair from Jongdae's temple, hand running through the hair and Baekhyun suppresses the urge to press his nose into the hair, to press his lips against the snowy skin.

He hears the sound of a camera whirring, and jerks around, eyes widened in shock. The sharp intake of breath that has Baekhyun choking, send Luhan and Yixing into a sputtering fit of laughter, the two making a picture in their fluffy animal pajamas. The two try to muffle their laughter, with the sleeping Jongdae in mind, but fail and they run out of the room. Baekhyun can hear the faint howls coming form the kitchen and huffs, pressing a final kiss to Jongdae's head.

 


 

"What do I do?"

"Just get back in bed with him."

"I can't."

"Why not? Why is this so difficult? You said you loved him!" Yixing is hard to take serious with his unicorn hood and pajama set. Baekhyun deliberately smacks the protruding horn and stifled a wince when Luhan smacks him with an antler as he turns to glare at Baekhyun.

"Did you change your mind? Because I will kill you!" An unexpected interruption causes all three whispering boys to almost slide off their chairs. Luhan turns and catches Sehun mid-yawn, his rainbow hair a mess on his head, sweats hanging low on his hip as he sleepily rubs an eye. "I did not endure all those sounds for nothing."

Luhan grins, leaning forward, "tell me more about these sounds," he bats his eyes, the cheeky smile spreading further across his face when Sehun leans forward and begins to whisper hushed details into his ear. Yixing leans closer, his giggles covering up any sound Sehun could make. Baekhyun smacks his hands on the table, "I called you! I'm the focus here. The meeting is about Jongdae! Now help me!"

"Just go back to bed and cuddle with him." Luhan waves a dismissive hand, turning his attention back to Sehun. Baekhyun notes the distracted way Sehun watches Luhan, his eyes following Luhan's every move, the way his palms seem to inch closer and closer to Luhan's body. He smirks, 'leverage,' he thought, 'for date nights,' before freezing, the thought sending warm shivers down his spine.

"I'm afraid." It was honestly hard to pour his heart out to a deer and a unicorn, and a half man-boy that Baekhyun may or may not like.

"You're just scared because Kim Jongdae is once again holding your heart in his hands. The last time, you stole it back, you took his along too. Now, it's his turn. Just get back into bed with him. If he doesn't want you, he'll kick you out. And if he does want you, then, obviously there's something wrong with him, poor boy."

Baekhyun takes a deep breath, soaking in Yixing's words. He swallows and turns to Luhan, a silent desperation in his eyes. Luhan smiles, takes Baekhyun's hands between his own. "Give him a chance, Baekkie. He's the one who can make you happy."

"Have you ever felt this scared....with Yifan?"

"I was always scared he would leave me. That one day, he would get tired of my carelessness, of my laziness, of my nagging. That one day, I'll get lost, like I always do and he won't find me." Luhan smiles, at the careless way Yixing throws his arms around him, so focused on Baekhyun, he misses the dark glance that Sehun throws his way, the way his jaw tightens at the mention of Yifan's name. "It happened, though. Through no fault of ours. Despite the fact, I wished it had all ended in a different way. My worse fears came true. But you know what?" Luhan blinks, his small sad smile tearing a hole in Baekhyun's heart. "If I could live through the entire story again, with the same ending, I would, just for a few more minutes with him. To hold his hand. To hear him tell me he loves me. To finally be able to tell him I love him."

Baekhyun quivers, the intensity in Luhan's eyes, the sadness in his voice, the terror in Yixing's eyes as he remembers the loss and decides. He stands up and shoos the two away, "Get lost, I don't want Jongdae to find you two here. We need to talk and I don't want an audience. Take Kim Sehun with you," Baekhyun declares, his haughty attitude returning after its brief bout of submission, and Baekhyun was in charge.

Sehun rolls his eyes, and grabs Luhan by the elbow. "Mind if I share your bed?" Sehun definitely does not get excited by the thought.

"It'll be a tight fit with Kai...but meh. The more the merrier," Luhan shrugs and Sehun's excitement is quashed faster than it had begun to sprout. Luhan grins at the catcalls that Yixing lets loose, and lovingly watches Baekhyun whack Yixing over the head. His hand covers Sehun's, a sudden fear spiking through his body. "They'll be okay, right?"

"Are you kidding? You did not see them last night. Wild animals, that bunch." Sehun smiles in response to Luhan's bright smile, his entire focus on Luhan's hand that was gripping his own and in making sure that the smile stayed there. Sehun had developed a sort of protective instinct after the incident yesterday.

"Let's get you upstairs. You need your eight hours, since you're but a child." Luhan grabs the flailing Yixing, being assaulted by Baekhyun with pillows and drags him to safety, calling a cheery goodbye behind his shoulder as they leave the apartment.

When Luhan dumps Yixing in his own bedroom, and makes to go to his own, Sehun grabs him by the waist. "How's the shoulder?"

"Fine." Luhan rolls his shoulder, wincing at the sparks of pain that shoots through him. "I just need to ice it. Can't do it when Kai's around, or he'll get suspicious.”

"I'll look in the freezer."

"No, don't. Just go to bed first. I'll see you in a bit."

"Shut up, Luhan."

"That's hyung to you, brat."

Sehun grins, walking to the fridge. He pulls out a bag of frozen...gummy bears? He turns to stare questioningly at Luhan, who grins. "They taste delicious with vodka," he says, with a sheepish shrug, walking over to grab them from Sehun. Sehun scowls, and jerks them away. He holds them high above his head, a smirk making its way across his face, as he watches Luhan bounce up, trying to grab them from him. He watches the pout form on Luhan's face, and tweaks Luhan's nose playfully. Luhan growls, and tries to be threatening and Sehun has to stifle his laughter, when he figures what Luhan reminds him of. A kitten batting a ball of yarn. Sehun pictures Luhan as a tiny kitten and almost bursts into giggles.

While Sehun tries to contain his laughter, Luhan tackles him to the ground, triumphantly holding the frozen bag over his head. Sehun's hands automatically hold Luhan's waist, and he swallows, their positions a little too much for him to handle. Luhan was straddling him, and crowing victoriously over his head, and Sehun found his eyes dragged to the blooming bruises against the pale white of Luhan's skin.

He sits up, earning a startled squeak from Luhan, and roughly yanks his shirt off.

Luhan looks at him, affronted. He tries to cover his shock and dread with humor, "why Sehun, all you had to do was ask..." voice trailing off as the vice like grip Sehun has on his waist, fingers digging into his bony hips tighten, at the sight of the patterned bruises that adorned Luhan's body. He tries to push Sehun away, to stand and move but freezes when the dark, intense glares that causes Luhan to shudder turns to him.

"These weren't there yesterday. I know. I checked.”

"I have an explanation."

"Something I won't like." Sehun frowns, his eyes darkening, rage rolling off of him. His fingers dig into Luhan's hips, and Sehun has to fight the urge press his lips against each darkened patch of skin. Only because he was worried they would hurt. And Sehun was a gentleman who did not like to see pretty people hurt.

"Something I really don't care about." Luhan's remark cuts through Sehun, and he swallows. Again, the rage rises, but this time, it was directed at Luhan and his carelessness. Sehun knew that if Kai was in his position, that he would not get this much opposition from Luhan.

"Explain it then," Sehun's voice is deep, opposed to flippancy of Luhan's.

"Yesterday, after you left, I went to the store. Kyungsoo was hanging around there. We got into another fight, to finish what we started, before you rudely interrupted. He left worse than I did."

"God dammit, Luhan. You could've have been seriously hurt! You've seen how he was with Kai! You've seen the scars!" Sehun was suddenly gripped with fear, at the rate Luhan was going, he was going to get himself killed.

"And that's why he needed to stay away."

"You should've called! I would have come with you! Hell, you probably wouldn't have gotten these, if hadn't gone looking for him. And don't even lie to me, that you ran into him. You went looking for a fight!”

"I don't need you to look after me."

"Your behavior is destructive, Luhan! You're always looking for a fight! Confrontation and fighting people won't make you feel better!"

"What the hell would you know!" Luhan roars, Sehun hitting the bullseye on the centre.

"You're hurting the people you care about! Can you imagine how Kai is going to feel about this?"

"And if you ever tell him, I will break you in very way possible. I will make you watch as everyone you love suffers. And I will revel in the knowledge that you will die a broken man as you watch your friends shatter apart," Luhan hisses, nails digging into Sehun's forearms, the vicious energy leaking into the room.

"Why? Why is this so important to you?! Why is he," Sehun gestures wildly in the direction of Luhan's room, "so bloody important to you when you don't even look after yourself?!" Sehun's chest heaves as he slams his hands on the table. Luhan does not even flinch.

"Because he's the only one I have. Because he's the only one who needs me," Luhan's voice drops into a whisper, his hands clenched into his lap. "Because he's mine. And I look after what's mine." Luhan looks into Sehun's eyes, and Sehun finally sees past the angry facade, and into the quiet desperation, the lonely despair, and the shattered heart. He reaches for Luhan, wanting to wrap him in a hug, to hold him, to mend him, to show him that he was not alone.

"That doesn't mean you have to fight my battles," Kai's quiet voice filters in, Luhan whirling around from his position on the floor, Sehun's hands suspended in the air. Too many people were coming into rooms unannounced, and one day, Luhan was going to have a heart attack and he was going to die and how would these unannounced guests like it then. Kai stands at the doorway of the bedroom, his inky black hair falling in his tanned face, his bottom teeth worrying his lips, his chocolate eyes studying the bruises on Luhan's body. "It means you have to fight them with me, not try to hide them from me.” He steps away from the doorframe, his eyes shining strangely in the light.

He kneels by Luhan, taking him away from Sehun, and crushes the older boy to his chest. "He's not supposed to be able to hurt you. He's not. He's not." Kai keeps mumbling the words into Luhan's shoulder, and all Luhan can do is soothe him, his hair, and cooing at him. Sehun watches, a green wave washing over him. He had to fight the urge to snatch Luhan away. He did not even know where the urge had come from.

Sehun stands abruptly, barely disrupting the couple, and makes to leave the kitchen. He turns at the last second,wanting to get a final jab in when he sees the hard press of Kai's jaw melting against the soft porcelain skin of Luhan's. The two were attached, skin to skin and not separating anytime soon. Sehun feels irritated, and puts this down to the fact that he was the one who rescued Luhan. He should be the one who gets the cuddles, all the lovings.

Stupid Kai. Stupid Luhan. Stupid dependance.

 


 

Luhan could feel the burning heat seeping into his skin, the fingers carving new patterns into Luhan's body, mouth breathing a new rhythm into Luhan's lungs.

Kai finds solace in the fact that Luhan still has his name branded in his soul and brings it to light, rebranding reminders all over his body.

"He's not supposed to be able to touch you."

Kai flips them over.

"He's not supposed to hurt you."

Luhan presses a harsh kiss, nibbling on the plush lips above him.

"You promised me."

Both their clothes were stripped.

"I promised to look after Jongin."

Kai slides in, the gasp that escapes Luhan filling the darkening parts of his mind, the grip that tightens on his shoulder reminding him of the pain he had once felt but instead of the dread that used to make him quiver in fear, filled him with a sort of vigor, and power, and he presses his body against Luhan's, a show of possessiveness that takes control of him.

"You can't leave me."

Luhan explodes, the muffled screams ringing in Kai's head, a reminder that he was part of Luhan and Luhan was a part of him.

"I would die first."

Luhan presses a gentle kiss to Kai's forehead, leading them both on shaky legs, to the shower.

"Not if I die with you."

 


 

Baekhyun leads a shyly smiling Jongdae into their apartment, arms tightly linked together. He waits for everyone to look at them, becoming disgruntled when no one pays the pair any mind.

"My dear children and the lowly peasants whom I allow to mingle with my children!" Baekhyun calls, attracting their attention when he can no longer stand their insolence at ignoring his magnificent presence.

Luhan sniggers and Yixing hands him a note, shaking his head at Baekhyun. Baekhyun glares at their idiotic antics, and decides that he has better things to do than lecture them about consequences of gambling.

"I am here to introduce to you, my future husband, after two painful years of stupidity on my part, Kim Jongdae. You, my dear children, may refer to him as daddy. Others will refer to him as the queen of the future supreme ruler of your pathetic asses."

Chanyeol sniggers at Baekhyun's announcement, Sehun barely containing his laughter, almost falling off the couch. Luhan and Yixing blinks and both quietly agree that this is was better than anything else Baekhyun could have come up with and joins Tao and Suho in clapping enthusiastically. Kai simply stares, with an eyebrow raised, before slowly clapping, matching Luhan's hands.

Jongdae's face turns red, and he shakes his head. "Idiots. All of you. Especially you!" He grumbles, pointing to Baekhyun who looks betrayed by Jongdae's name calling. Jongdae continues to shake his head, hands waving in a gesture that says ‘I have nothing to do with this idiot,’ and goes to sit by Luhan who promptly moves onto Kai's lap, blinking his eyes innocently as he pats the cushion next to him for Jongdae, "there's room for you here, daddy." Jongdae squeals and hugs the taller male, cooing at him. Baekhyun huffs at the lack attention he receives and goes to steal Jongdae back.

"What about Minseok-hyung?" Kai asks cautiously. He did not want anything to interrupt one of his favorite people's life, just when they were happy.

"I've called him. We're meeting up later, to talk." Jongdae Luhan's hair nervously. "We were never really together. I mean, he never asked me out or anything. We just...kinda hung out and had ..." Jongdae mumbles, his face flaming to red again. Yixing pinches his cheeks while Suho beams at him.

"Don't be too mean to Minnie- hyung okay?" Tao pouts, his dangerous ageyo pouring out of him.

Jongdae laughs uncomfortably, "of course."

Luhan pauses, his head cocked to the side, before asking, "want us to come with, daddy? We'll just sit at a table to cheer you on. And possibly beat the crap out of Minseok-hyung if he does anything evil." Sehun's head snaps up, boring holes into the back of Luhan's head at his violent admission.

"I though you liked Minseok!"

"I like you more, Baekkie."

Jongdae is not as shocked as Baekhyun, whose eyes glint suspiciously at Luhan's causal admission. Yixing throws his arms around Baekhyun, patting his head, while Baekhyun uses Yixing's shirt to wipe the tears out of his eyes.

"So, Dae-ah, what do you say? Want us to come along?"

"Only if promise not to bash his head in. And if you promise not to stand out.”

"I will give it my best effort."

"Then you can come along."

 


 

"I don't understand why you would go back to that," Minseok gnashes his teeth in anger, his finger angrily pointing to Baekhyun sitting in the corner, "after everything he's put you though."

Jongdae shakes his head, only Baekhyun would think giant sunglasses and a newspaper would be considered inconspicuous, and he bet that Luhan and Yixing are only encouraging him, by matching their ridiculous neon colored outfits. "Minnie ah, I still love him. Despite everything, I still love him. I know I shouldn't. But I can't stop myself."

"I thought you were giving up on him."

"I tried but hyung, how can I give up when all I see is him."

"You can try. With me. I've distracted you before, Jongdae, and I can do it again. This time, until you've forgotten about him. I won't stop halfway.”

"Minnie-ah...that's not fair to you. I can't do that."

"I'm willing to do it. Use me, like how I used you. If I'm a bad person, then he's worse! I used you for . All I cared about was how beautiful you looked under me, wrecked and writhing. You used me to forget about him and I was okay with that, as long as I was the only one who could see you like that." Minseok points to himself, before slamming a fist down on the table. "But him! He broke your heart, then took you for a joy ride. When he figured out that he couldn't play anymore, because I showed up, because I became serious, now he wants to selfishly keep you for himself! So he does this! If you think for, one minute, that he actually cares about, then you, Kim Jongdae, are a lot more naive than I thought." Minseok bites his lip angrily, fingernails digging into his palms, as a sheen spreads over his eyes.

Luhan has to hold a fuming Baekhyun back, slapping a hand over his mouth. "Let Jongdae say his piece. He needs to hear this and reply to this, or it will burn in him forever. Because nothing Minseok-hyung is saying is a lie. And if Minseok-hyung is saying this,then Jongdae has thought about it."

"Minnie-ah, you took care of me, when all I could think about was how to burn him out of my mind. And for awhile, just for a little bit, I could. You were good to me," Jongdae's hand is hesitant, resting on Minseok's fist, as he tries to calm the older down. "But I wasn't happy for long. That's why we kept breaking up, remember. Because I couldn't keep him away. And I know what it must seem like. I must seem like a total idiot to you. But I promise you. This is my last chance to him. If he messes up, I really will forget him. And I'm sorry to do this to you, but you're really the only person I have that will never side with Baekhyun. So I will come running to you." Jongdae tries to smile, his hand trembling until Minseok open his and interlocks his fingers. "And I know I seem like a fool but I've never had this. This relationship. Back then, it was me following him like a puppy, doing his bidding. But now, it's his turn." Jongdae chuckles, nervous, his eyes on their interlocked fingers.

He remembers the rough callous palms and how they've traced his body, worshipped it, made him sing. He remembers the way Minseok looked at him, hungry and lustful, a powerful punch of want working its way through his stomach. He remembers the way Minseok tasted, like fresh mint and apples, comfort when he was alone. And he remembers the way Minseok held him, like he was a precious, fragile gem, whether Jongdae was crying and when Jongdae was . Jongdae remembers when Minseok showed him how to have fun, even with a heart that's bruised.

And Jongdae is grateful.

"Minnie-ah, in my own way, I've loved you. But I don't know if you feel the same way about me. If you do, I'm sorry. But Baekhyun, Baekhyun is one I've been in love with since junior high. I've pined over him, cried over him, had meaningless flings in the dark because of him. Isn't it time I laughed because of him?"

"He's not good enough for you!"

"It's funny that you both use the same argument against each other."

"I'm nothing like him!"

"You just don't know it yet."

"Oh for goodness sake, Jongdae, I'll give you a month before you come crying to me about how he slept with someone else again and broke your heart all over again, and when you do, I will remind you that I've warned you and that I told you that you are a stupid fool, but you didn't listen to me. And yes, like an idiot, I will probably take you back." Minseok scowls at his weak heart, knowing that he should have never gotten serious with Jongdae, that Jongdae would never see him.

"That won't happen!" Baekhyun breaks free from Luhan's grip, and marches over. He grabs Jongdae's hand from Minseok, yanking the boy back, clutching him in a possessive embrace. He openly glares at Minseok, listening to Jongdae's muffled curses peter from his shoulder. Luhan and Yixing stand threateningly behind him, scowls etched on their faces. It takes everything in Sehun and Chanyeol not to laugh when they see the pair, who look as frightening as kittens, standing in front of the couple, as though guarding the last bits of happiness the two would have. The dynamic changes, when Kai and Suho stroll over, hands reaching around the waists of their respective partners. Now those two knew what threatening looked like and had it perfected to the T.

Luhan waves a finger in Minseok's face, jabbing it precariously close, "stay away from them. If they break up, it's one thing. But if I find out that you had anything to do with it, I'll find you and skin you and boil you alive." Minseok sneers at the threat, ready to bark another one when he meets Kai's darkened eyes. Luhan alone he can take, Luhan and Yixing he can take, seeing as Yixing's only purpose was to break up the fight and to run for the hill, screaming when it got too intense. But Luhan with a wild card like Kai and Suho, who could destroy his whole life with a single word, well, the odds were stacked against Minseok.

He swallows his pride, before turning to face Jongdae. “I'm offering you. This, one last time. Think about it, Dae-ah. I'm giving you one last chance. Come to me and I'll handle everything and everyone,” Minseok throws a glare out, “for you. Please.”

Jongdae pulls himself from Baekhyun's strangling embrace. “Minnie-ah, we’ve had our fun. So please let it go.”

Yixing spontaneously bursts into song, singing obnoxiously loud, before Suho shushes him. He looks sheepishly around, apologetically nodding to the people staring at them.

“I'll look after properly this time. I'll do right by him. So you don't have worry about him running back to you!”

Minseok heaves a sigh, he knows a losing battle when he sees one, and steps back, hands held before him, in a silent truce.

“Just in case, you know where I live and you have my number. Call me anytime.” He walks off, a half hearted wave later, and a grimace to the rest.

Baekhyun grins and wraps himself around Jongdae even tighter. Jongdae mimes choking and eventually gets rescued by Chanyeol.

“Congratulations, Jongdae-ah, I knew you had it in you.”

Jongdae just laughs, “when will it be your turn?” He waggled his eyebrows in a suggestive manner, grinning.

“Not anytime soon,” Chanyeol shakes head morosely, subtly pointing to where Luhan and Kai are twined together on the chair, entertained by Baekhyun's ideas to get Minseok to move and to change his number. Luhan is more enthusiastic than Kai, contributing his own ideas, while Kai and Sehun just shake their head and talk about normal things, like the new slasher flick they want to watch. Suho watches them with blatant shock while Tao offers his wushu skills which Suho immediately shoots down, causing a very disgruntled trio to round up against him, all while Yixing laughs gleefully, even as the almighty Suho crumbles and begs for help.

Amidst the chaos, Sehun darts glances to Luhan, watching the animated boy, with barely a twist in his lip, but his desire to smile is achingly obvious. Kai is oblivious, sneaking peeks at Chanyeol, smiling hesitantly whenever he catches his eye, both talking about a new game Sehun and just bought.

Jongdae just rolls his eyes, all while muttering about his master plan and how Baekhyun is an idiot and that. Jongdae needs to stop falling in love with idiots.

“It might be sooner than you think,” Jongdae smirks.

Chanyeol eyes Jongdae warily, and decides never to cross him. He had thought Suho and Kai were scary when they wanted to be. Tao was a force to be reckoned with, especially at three in the morning. Boy had a punch that could send a man to a hospital. And Sehun had to lug Chanyeol to the hospital, because he could not walk on his own.. But Jongdae, Jongdae looked downright evil, as he plotted the demise of Luhan's and Kai romantic relationship while still keeping their platonic one intact. How that was going to happen, Chanyeol had absolutely no clue, but Jongdae was confident about his plan and according to him, Jongdae always got what he wanted. Chanyeol supposed that he and Baekhyun were meant to be, the two evil overloads ruling the world. Chanyeol says as much and is rewarded with a gentle smile, “oh Chanyeol, Baekhyun will rule the world and I will be the one to make it happen. I am his queen, after all. And everyone knows the queen is the strongest player.” Chanyeol was not aware of this. “Any other silly questions I can answer for you today?”

“What happened in high school? Or was it junior high? But what was Minseok talking about?”

“It's a long story… And one that needs a lot of alcohol before I can tell.”

“Man, why does no one want to tell me anything? I'm a good listener, I swear!”

 


 


Luhan and Kai stand in line, playing a game of rock-paper-scissors as they wait for the queue to shuffle along.

“Why is there so many people wanting to watch a slasher flick? Why? Are they even legal?” Luhan mutters, disgruntled as the queue moves at snail’s pace.

Kai smiles in return, when he throws a scissors to Luhan's paper, cheering when he wins again. Luhan tosses his hands into the air, an exasperated smile on his face. “How are you doing that?”

Kai laughs, and shuffles closer to Luhan, wrapping his hand around the older’s waist, tucking his head in his favorite spot. “Wake me up, when we reach the cashier,” he says cheekily, nuzzling down. He feels the light smack Luhan dispenses, followed by the gentle as he brushes his fingers through Kai's hair.

“You and Chanyeol seem to be getting along quite well.”

“He's my roommate, we’re obligated to.”

“You know that's not what I mean.”

“Then what do you mean?”

“Oh you know what I mean. Why are you suddenly being so difficult?” Luhan scolds playfully, relishing the feel of Kai's laughter rumbling through his body.

“I don't know…I mean…I've seen the way he looks at my scars. And I don't know if he's okay with it… And….”

“I think he doesn't mind them,” Luhan begins carefully.

“But he's always frowning at me.”

“I think that has more to do with me than you.”

“Why? What do you do?”

“I think he gets a little jealous, when I cling to you like this. Or when we cling to each other.”

“Why?”

“I don't think Chanyeol understands our relationship, just yet.”

“I thought Dae-appa explained it to him.”

“I don't think it was quite enough.”

“It doesn't matter,” Kai hides his face in Luhan's shoulder again. “I won't do anything with him, unless you find someone too.”

“Then you're stuck with me forever.”

“Are you sure about that? Because a certain youngster is growing into what might literally be your ideal type. Tall, broad shouldered, poker faced, but with a cute personality, protective. ALmost like Yifan all over again with the added bonus of not being him. I mean, Baekhyun dislikes him too. Complete package.”

“I have no idea what you are talking about, and I have no wish for you to educate me any further on whatever disgusting thoughts you are having. Also, he's four years younger than me. Four. He's as little as you.”

“I don't see the problem.”

“That's because there isn't one. Because there's nothing there.”

“I think there is.”

“What have I told you about thinking?”

“That I'm not very good at it?”

“Your words, not mine.”

Kai whines childishly, smacking Luhan's shoulder, pouting. Luhan laughs, his eyes crinkling, wrinkles showing. The two of them are unaware of the attention they are attracting or the whispers of the two pretty boys that is running through the crowd. Neither do they notice the angry glares of two certain tall rockheads.

“What are my two favorite people doing, glaring at the queue?” Jongdae's cackling laugh cause an even larger scowl to emerge on their faces.

“Do they always have to be so wrapped up in each other?”

“Will they die if they're apart?”

“They might,” Yixing muses, clutching his candy close to his chest.

“You can't be serious.” Sehun stares at Yixing but it is Baekhyun who answers.

"Truth is, I don't know. Kai and Luhan are necessary for each other to survive.”

“I think you're over exaggerating things.”

“I say a few things once, and suddenly, I'm a drama queen.”

“You were born a drama queen,” Yixing quips, a mischievous smile spreading over his face.

“But because of Kai, Luhan is channeling everything into rage. And because of Luhan, Kai is channeling himself into one person,” Suho bites his lip uncertainly, praying that he will not be on the receiving end of Baekhyun's glare. Instead, Yixing steals his chocolates and stuff them in his mouth, an angry pout in place.

“I said necessary. I never said good.”

“Well, why aren't you stopping it?” Sehun mutters angrily, hand squeezing the drink, the lid popping off, the dark colored liquid spilling all over his hand. It was just concern for a friend, who is going down a dark path, he thinks to himself, squashing down the anger. Sehun angrily wipes his hands on his jeans, mopping up the mess with a stolen pile of napkins.

“Because Luhan needs someone to protect and to protect him, to balance him out. And Kai needs to focus on one person, that's how he's lived his whole life, always focusing on one person. So together, they can find that. But it's not perfect. Kai isn't enough to smooth out Luhan's crazy. And Luhan isn't enough for Kai to focus his energy on.”

“You're all idiots!” Sehun marches over, Chanyeol hot on his heels, both plastering happy smiles on their faces, each tugging a respective person. Sehun clings to Luhan, while Chanyeol shyly pulls at Kai’s sleeve.

“They're the idiots!” Baekhyun grumbles, throwing his hands in the air, soothed by Jongdae's smile.

“Don't worry. It'll be okay.”

“How? Hmmm? Luhan doesn't understand what it means to control himself. Yifan tells him, when he's wrong, when he should apologize, tells him that it's wrong to tell someone he's going to slit their throat for staring at him too long.” Worry coats the anger in Baekhyun's words, as he grips Jongdae's arm. “And Kai, we've seen how he gets when he's thrown off his axis, how lost he becomes. He goes to anyone! And I mean anyone! They see him now, all stable but the first few weeks, before him and Lulu cemented their relationship, friendship, or whatever ship they have, he went out with anyone who paid attention to him. Anyone!” Baekhyun starts to fume, while Yixing worries beside him.

“They'll be fine,” Jongdae runs Baekhyun's fingers, presiding a kiss to each one. “Look,” he points at the four.

Luhan and Kai were clinging to each other, battering the two towers away, hissing and kicking, before laughing when they are pulled away. On their part, Sehun cuddles against Luhan, tugging him close, less closeted than Chanyeol when it came to dispensing affection. He whines, until Luhan scratches his head, teasing him.

Chanyeol and Kai have their heads together, poring over some flyer that magically appeared from somewhere, excitedly reading it. Kai was snugly fitted against Chanyeol's shoulder and Chanyeol's fingers were sneakily creeping to Kai's waist.

Before any of their efforts comes to light though, the four of them reach the end of queue and Luhan forks over the money, while commenting on how irritating the long line wash the cashier looks a little stunned. Sehun immediately quiets him, “Sorry, a little cranky. You know that time of the month.” Luhan can only blink in shock as the cashier giggles and flirts with Sehun as he collects the tickets.

"Enjoy the movie," the blonde bimbo says, and Luhan growls, low in his throat, about to launch into attack, when Sehun sweeps him away. With a hand on the small of his back, Sehun pushes Luhan back, "play nice," he grins. Luhan slaps his hand away.

"Time of the month? Time of the month?" Luhan is fuming, face rapidly turning red. "I'm going to kill you, you giant brat."

Sehun is only saved from the assault of Luhan's tiny fists when Kai comes in, ice cream in hand, and sharing with Luhan. Luhan grumpily takes chomps of the ice cream, then buys another for them to share. Sehun is not sure if he likes Luhan attention somewhere else.

Luhan runs, whining to Baekhyun, Kai trailing behind, content to his ice cream. Chanyeol walks with him, trying to start a conversation, but gets distracted with the way Kai's pink tongue darts out, lapping at vanilla ice cream. He swallows, watching as Kai his lips, feeling a tightening in his nether regions. He looks away, trying to will away his rising bulge. He thinks about all sorts of things, his grandmother, his sister, his mother- that sent it flying away, the blood returning to his brain- and looks back to Kai when he feels more settled.

Only to look away because now Kai had traded his soft serve ice cream for Luhan's popsicle.

Chanyeol was not looking forward to the movie.

 


 

Sehun, on the other hand, loved this movie. He loved that Kai and Luhan had settled between him and Chanyeol and silently thanked Jongdae for his manipulation.

Jongdae, Sehun decides, can have all the loud, noisy he wants with Baekhyun, at any time he want. Except during Finals weeks. Because then, Sehun will kill him.

Sehun loved this movie, for a few simple reasons.

One, Sehun just loved these movies.

Two, Kai and Chanyeol seem attached together, their eyes wide with fear, with Kai ducking his head to hide his eyes when he gets too scared. Their hands were clutched together, Kai almost sitting in Chanyeol's lap when the girl meets the masked killer.

Three, since Kai had sought refuge in Chanyeol, Luhan was pressed close to him. And Sehun could put his arm around him, his arm and patting his head when he ducks into Sehun's shoulder.

Four, Sehun just really loved these movies.

 


 

Author's note: hello, my darlings! I hope you've had a wonderful week. I present to you the newest chapter. This is a doozy of a chapter. I didn't even realize I had written sixteen pages until I checked it over! I have no idea how it came to be so long

I am planning on making the next chapter an interlude, to explain why. Luhan is so angry, why Kai is so clingy and how Sehun's feelings change from friendship to romantic intentions and why Kai starts noticing Chanyeol. Do you guys want that? Or should I just keep going with the story and add the interlude later on?

Comment below and subscribe above!

Happy readings everybody!