Chapter 2

Moving on from Grief

Chapter 2

“Hello? My name is Yixing, yes thank you. No. I’m calling on the behalf of Luhan. We would like to cancel the order for the wedding hall. Yes. Yes. No, thank you very much. No, we would not like to postpone it. No, I'm afraid he can't come to the phone right now.” Yixing glares, frustrated, at the receptionist.

Luhan stares blankly at him, hand firmly held In Baekhyun’s. His best friend smiles reassuringly, and pats his hand before taking the phone from Yixing. He leaves the watch duty to his friend, before going on an all rage stampede on the receptionist.

 


 

You're going to marry him! What! This is idioctic! You're barely graduating high school, hardly a marriage age.”


“I love him, Baek. I want to.”


“Talk some sense into him, Xing!”


“To be quite honest, there really is no one else who can handle this one except Fanfan.”


“But the boys and the dancing! The parties! The new flings! How are we supposed to explore and conquer, if you're married!”


Luhan just laughs at his friend, while Yifan just looks like a kicked puppy. “He can go dancing, as long as he dances with me?” Yifan offers.


“That won't work! No, we have to be the three musketeers. Not the three musketeers and a tag a long husband.”


“I introduced you to Luhan.”


“And that was the only useful contribution you have made to my life.”


Yifan just gapes at Baekhyun, who wails his displeasure for the world to hear.

 


 

“I honestly don't know why I didn't let him just make the calls in the first place,” Yixing muses, watching in awe as Baekhyun metaphorically beats the receptionist over the head. Luhan just continues to stare blankly, boring holes into the walls of his living room.

“I think this is it, babe. It's perfect! It's small and cozy and it has the outdoor view you've always wanted.”


Luhan giggles, patting the over excited Yifan, and looking at the wedding hall his fiancé was showing him. It really was beautiful.


“What’s the price like?” Luhan asks quietly.


“To be honest, the owner is a friend of my dad’s. He's willing to let us use it for free, as long as he gets to use photos of our wedding for display.” Yifan says, a big gummy smile on his face.


It was a relief, really. Two high school seniors, getting married right out of college, was quite frankly ridiculous. But Yifan wanted a family, and he wanted Luhan, so Luhan was more than happy to oblige. Even if it meant that they have to scrape every bit of savings they had for it. Thank goodness for the understanding hearts of their parents who were willing to help out, or they would probably be married in a hole dug by Yifan. And thank goodness for university scholarships, for without them, they wouldn't have savings to spend, and where would their wedding be then?

 


 

Luhan rubbed his engagement ring quietly, tears leaking out of his eyes as he bites his lips. He wished he could stop crying, that he would run out of tears but well, the world hated him, didn't it.

 


“Han, if I asked you to spend the rest if your life with me, what would you say?”


“Well, at least, your face is pretty enough for me to look at without being bored,” Luhan teases, a twinkle in his eye. He lays back on the blanket, hand searching for Yifan’s.


“But would you?”


“Shouldn't you know the answer?”


“I want to hear you say it.”


“You arrogant prick,” Luhan laughs. “I would spend my entire life with you if you asked,”Luhan says, hands catching Yifan’s face. He presses a kiss to Yifan’s lips before pulling back. “Fanfan, what’s this about?”


Yifan rubs the back of his neck, face red. He shoves his right hand into Luhan’s face before mumbling, “will you marry me?” meekly.


Luhan stares at the box, that looked tiny in Yifan’s giant hand. He takes it carefully, opening it. A silver band with blue sapphire embedded in it was nestled between the cushions. Luhan pulls the ring out, examining it while Yifan watches him, nervous to point of wanting to throw up.


Luhan slid the ring on. “It's a perfect fit,” he breathes, stretching his hand out, blinking at the way the ring looked like it belonged on his left hand. “I love it.”


“Does that mean you'll marry me?” Yifan asks confused.


“Only because I like the ring.”


“You are terrible person.”


“I know, it keeps me up at night.”


“Really?”


“No, I sleep like a baby.”

 


 

Yixing rubbed his back soothingly as Baekhyun returned, a scathing look on his face. “Everything is cancelled. We got the deposit for the photographer and the food back. Fanfan’s friend’s, the one who lent the wedding hall, sends his condolences. What in the name of hell is the use of condolences? Seriously, what is it supposed to do? Magically make everything all right?” Baekhyun complains, his tone dripping with disgust.

Luhan lets out a small smile, listening to his friend rage. It made things slightly better, having two people who loved him helping him.

 


 

"Han, listen to me! It won't matter if your project is finished, if you're dead before you present it! How are you going to dance when you're dead? Are you trying to give me grey hairs early?” Yifan scolds him, picking Luhan up from the dance floor, cradling the exhausted boy close to him.


“I need to get it perfect. Set me down, I need to finish practicing for the showcase,” Luhan mumbles, trying to wriggle from the taller male’s grip. Yifan simply tightened his hold and marched out of the practice room, hurrying to his car. He tosses Luhan in, and bends to down to glare at Luhan in the eye. “If you try escaping, I will catch you and when I do, you'll wish you'd have never tried,” he growls. Luhan nods meekly, knowing that Yifan would live up to his word. He sits, as Yifan straps the seatbelt on, pouting as he watches Yifan slide into the driver’s seat.


“I can still dance. I'm not that tired. I was just letting my eyes take a break,” Luhan widens his eyes, trying to make himself look too cute to refuse.
Yifan does not even look at him, “you collapsed on that floor. I know you. I know how you get. Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”


Luhan shakes his head with a pout, his cheeks puffed out. “I'm not sorry, you know.”


“Oh I know, Han. Just…let me worry about you a little okay.”


“…If I said no?”


“When has that stopped me?”

 


 

“Do I have to return the ring?” Luhan asks, his voice hoarse, from days of sobbing and refusing to speak, interrupting Baekhyun mid rant, his hands tightening. He did not want to lose his last, his only connection to Yifan. He rubs both rings, the engagement ring that Yifan had given him months ago, under the shade of the night and the new one, the one Yifan never reaches him in time to place upon his finger. Always a little too early, that, always too punctual. He does not notice the suprise in Baekhyun’s and Yixing’s faces as they hear their friend's voice for the first time in weeks.

“No. Fanfan already paid it off,” Yixing smiles, his voice cracking, as he tugs the older male into a hug. Luhan looked at Yixing, noted the worry in his face, mirrored by Baekhyun. “I'm sorry for asking you to help me…” Luhan mumbles quietly.

“It’s really no problem. Even if you hadn't asked, we'd be here, baby boo,” Baekhyun smiles, pinching Luhan’s cheeks.


“Xing? Xing? You have to promise me something. Please.”


“Yifan, stop talking, the doctor says you need to get stabilized. Worrying won't help.”


“Look after Han for me? There's no one else I can ask.”


“You get better and look after him yourself. He's on his way here, okay? You have to give him his stupid shiny ring and he can give you stupid mushy kisses okay?”


“Xing, please promise me. You'll look after him. He's too spoiled to be on his own. I've spoilt him too much,” Yifan chokes on his words.


“Fan, come on. No one can look after him like you can huh. If you leave him alone, he'll die first. Think of him, okay? You can't die.”


“Xing, please, please promise me.”


“No! I won't! You get better and look after him!” Yixing screams at Yifan, tears pouring down his face.


“Tell him that I love him today. And that you love him from on. Will you tell him everyday? He needs to hear it.”


“You can tell him your bloody self. What the hell is going to do without you? You two have been together since the beginning of time!” Yixing yells, hands tightening in Yifan’s blood soaked shirt. The paramedics push him aside, lifting Yifan on a stretcher, an oxygen mask on his face.


“You look after him! You hear me! If you leave him, I will never forgive you!” Yixing sobs into his hands, pushing the medics away from him. “I'm fine, go away. Help him. Help him please.”

 


 

Yixing wrapped his arms around the smaller male tighter. He holds on for a minute before pulling away. “Come on, this un-invitations aren't going to address themselves!”

Baekhyun grimaces, pulling the nearest stack towards him. “I would rather be making calls than this.” Luhan quietly starts writing his apology on the letter, while Yixing ensured that all the gifts were packed nicely, ready to send back.

“When the summer is over, we’re going to a new city. A whole new life, with a whole bunch of new people. I can't wait til we get to a place where people don't give is pitying looks when we walk to the store,” Baekhyun scowled, stabbing the paper rather violently.

“I want to go there, where nothing reminds me of him,” Luhan says quietly. “I want to go, for all the dancing!” Yixing announces. All three boys smile at each other, the sadness reflected in their eyes, before busying themselves with writing.


 

~Author's note: hi guys, thank you for waiting a, after a little thought, I wanted to try expanding the story a little so it will be longer than what I had thought previously. I hope you like this chapter. Pleas comment, and also let me know if you found any mistakes! Subscribe for more chapters :)