SHE, HER

CARPE DIEM: MOMENTS SHARED WITH YOU

"She didn't need to understand the meaning of life; it was enough to find someone who did, and then fall asleep in his arms and sleep as a child sleeps, knowing that someone stronger than you os protecting you from all evil and all danger.

- Paulo Coelho, Brida

"Hello, S.M. enterprise, what could we do for you?"

"Y-yes. We're sure of that."

"I'm sorry for the delay but we would make sure to follow up."

"The deal with your company would be settled soon, Sir. Please wait for further announcement."

"We won't allow that article to be published."

"Yes. Yes. Have a good day."

Yuri placed the phone back with a loud 'clank' and leaned back into the leather chair, sinking herself further to its comfort as she massaged her temples.

'How did I end up doing this job?! I'm a pbotographer for Pete's sake! What happened to the people who worked here? What happened to the employees? What did I do to deserve this-'

'Oh right. Jessica.'

 

 

Yuri groaned as she thought about the woman. She didn't even know why she was so curious. But seeing the Jung woman surely did make her smile, she knew it. Feeling the Jung woman touch her sent shivers down her skin, she was sure of that. Seeing her flip her hair, cover her face with her hands, hold on to her stomach when she makes that high-pitched laugh, surely, that was adorable. 

 

 

 

 

Too bad someone else sees her as she does, too.

 

 

 

 

 

Probably even more than what she sees.

 

 

 

 

 

What Yuri couldn't put a finger to is the fact that ever since 'the second date, the car ride home and all that mush,' Jessica smiled more. Her eyes had that glint, something that was only shown when she was with 'her.' 

'Are they... together? N-nah it couldn't be. If it were they'd be the talk of the whole company.'

'Nah because it's really impossible... or nah because you don't want to accept the fact that the Jung woman is happier with the midget?'

'No! She won't fall in love with that troll! She's short!'

'And you're... tall.' 

'She-she's not even pretty!'

'And here is our goddess who exudes beauty.'

'She ain't got appeal!'

'Huh. And you're leaking appeal like a tap. Whew! Nice going Kwon.'  The inner voice continued to talk sarcastically. Somehow, Yuri knew that her mind was driving her insane. Over-thinking was not her forte, after all.

 

 

Everything was her fault.

 

 

 

 

 

Why she had to get beaten up by Donghae.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why she had to catch a cold.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why she had to work overtime.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why she had to stay in the office, restricted by the four corners of the room, in the effin' tiny cubicle which makes her feel so claustrophobic, bound in her leather chair, answering phone calls that never seem to end. Because she just had to have a date with her.

And she agreed.

 

That Jung woman did.

-

"Alright, one, two, three!" The photographer continued to bark out orders as several cameras flashed straight into Tiffany. She continued on, posing for different shots, she couldn't lose her focus. She is a professional. She didn't have to mess things up just because she knew about Taeyeon's plan to invite Jessica for lunch. Again. And this time, she asked her for help. 

Being a bestfriend is hard. Especially when you know that what you feel isn't mere friendship.

Especially if that person is being taken away from you.

Especially when you can't confess, cause you don't want to ruin what you have.

Because you don't want to have a 'used to' and 'had been' with her.

Being the good friend that she was, she just had to it all up, show Taeyeon her brightest smile, and tell her of the place where she could have invited her to lunch, if only Taeyeon even wants to be with her. Going along with the lines, "Wow, a date with Sica? I'm so happy that our byun-taeng is starting to mature! Ummm.. well, Sica seems like the amusement park type of girl, so Lotte world seems great, right?"

Words to which Taeyeon can only nod to as a reply.

"Goodluck Tae-tae. Saranghae." She said as she raised her eyebrows up teasingly, only to see a blushing Taeyeon. 

"Geez. Love ya too, best bud." Taeyeon said as she pat Tiffany's shoulder.

"No problem. What are friends for?" 

'What... are friends for?... I think I must be going crazy.... How could I...?  I really do love her. That idiotic insensitive friend of mine.'

"Stop!" 

 

"Ne?"

 

"You have been dozing out for the past minute, Tiffany-ssi. We don't have time to waste! You've got to put more effort! This is not what I expect from you." The photographer said as he rolled his eyes to the back of his head in extreme frustration, before huffing out and shouting, "Ten minutes break everyone. Oh, and retouch her makeup, please. She looks like a mess." while pointing at Tiffany.

"Y-yes. I'm sorry." '.' Tiffany growled. Walking outside of the studio, she sat on the nearest bench and pulled up her phone. 

 

A message from Tae-tae.

 

She smiled. Taeyeon remebers her. Her bestfriend. Flipping up the phone, what she saw only made her heart sink.

"Fany-ah! Eoteokke? Eoteokke? Sica just loves this date so much! We had rides, and ice cream, and cotton candy, and hotdogs. It's so so great! I knew I could count on you bud! I'm planning to ride the ferris wheel with her later in the evening. I hope it goes well. I planned a lot for it just to be romantic. Haha, can you believe it? I, Kim Taeyeon, am in love! By the way, I'll be spending the whole day with Sica, so I'll keep you busy, Miss Hwang model, you. I had arranged another photoshoot for ya after the 6:00 pm photoshoot. It will start exactly 7:00 pm. Don't be late alright? Best of luck!"

 

'So much for a bestfriend... What happened to us?'

 

 

 

 

'There was no 'us' in the beginning, Fany-ah. Everything was just wishful thinking.'

 

 

 

 

'Does she hate me? Does she think I'll stop her from seeing Jessica? Does she really want me out of her life? '

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Tiffany in a breath, and tossed the phone back into her purse.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'So be it. If that's what she wants, then I'll be out of her hair.'

 

 

 

 

 

 

She stood up, got a towel and started wiping the sweat off of her forehead.

 

 

 

 

'If that's what she wants, then I'll leave her and Sica alone.'

 

 

 

 

 

She took a bottle of water and gulped down the contents quickly. She was tired. But she won't cry. Not for her. Never for her.

 

 

 

'If that's what she wants, then I'll agree.'

 

 

 

'Because I love her.'

 

 

 

 

'Because I'm stupid like that.'

 -

Taeyeon took a deep breath and sighed happily. This is it. What she had been always waiting for her. Glancing at her phone, she found no replies from Tiffany. And she wasn't used to that. Tiffany would usually reply back with a "Tae-Tae, you're such a meanie, you know that? Meet me at office tomorrow. I'll give you a spanking." To which she would happily joke around and reply, "Yes ma'am! I'll be waiting for that, ytary Hwang!"

 

 

 

She somehow felt an unusual.... churn in her stomach. She knows what she did was wrong. But this was what she wanted. She wanted Jessica. And now she can have her. A hand suddenly made its way to hers snapping her out of her reverie.

"Taengoo-yah, what's with the blank face? I didn't know you space out like that, too."

"Hmmmm... oh really? Your virus must have been getting on me then, Sica."

"H-hey, but don't you think spacing out is cute?" Jessica pouted

"Yes. Yes it is. Only if you're the one who did it." Taeyeon said as she pinched Jessica's nose, and interlocked their fingers together.

"Let's go, Sica. I have something to show you." 

 

 

This is it.

 

 

 

 

She wants this.

 

 

 

She loves Jessica.

 

 

 

 

Holding Jessica's hand tighter, she walked towards the main square.

 

 

Glancing up, she looked at the large clock overhead.

 

'6:00'

 

 

 

'Tiffany must be on her way to work.'

 

 

 

 

Turning around, she looked at Jessica warmly amd flashed her brightest smile.

 

 

"Wait here for a while, alright?"

 

 

 

'1 more hour.'she thought. '1 more hour and she'll be officially mine.'

-

Jessica huffed as she walked around the park. Taeyeon just left her for god-knows-what. It has been at least 30 minutes. She's bored. She's sleepy. She's starving. Walking around the area, she saw an ice cream stand. 

'Do they have, strawberry and green tea?' she wondered as she walked around the stall, observing the wide array of flavors printed in large font on the roof of the cart.

Sweet. They've got it. Her exact favorite. A wierd combination, yes and everyone has been teasing her for it, but who cares?

Buying the ice cream, she started taking small , and remembered what had happened days ago.

"Would you give this pabo a chance of loving you, Jung Sooyeon?'

 

Jessica hesitated as Taeyeon held tightly on her hand. She shoud've said yes. It was quick as that. Gathering up her courage, she placed a hand over Taeyeon's.

"Taengoo-yah-"

"You can't answer?"

 

"It's not like tha-"

 

"Because you don't love me, right?" A bitter smile.

 

"No, Taeyeon-ah just hear me out-"

 

"Because you have someone else, you like?"

 

Jessica's words got stuck in . She didn't expect that to come from Taeyeon. She didn't expect to remember 'her' because of what she said.

 

"I-it's okay, Sica-yah." Taeyeon said as forced a smile on her face.

 

"I-im willing to wait."

 

"I can wait until you can love me back."

 

"Taeyeon-"

 

 

"You would try to love me back... right?"

 

"..."

 

Taeyeon cleared as she stopped her tears from falling. Under the dim lighting of the headlights, Jessica could see her eyes all red and puffed up.

 

"I'm sorry for surprising you. I'm a loser when it comes to confessions.' She said as she scratched the back of her head.

"For now, friends?" She said expectantly.

"Friends, Taengoo-yah." Jessica affirmed as she hugged Taeyeon tightly, tears threatening to spill from her own eyes. She knew how much rejection hurts. No matter how it leaves your lips, rejection ing hurts. 

Letting go of the hug, Taeyeon went out of the car, and being the gentlewoman that she is, opened the car door for Jessica.

"Goodnight, Sica."

"Ummhmm. Goodnight."

"Don't I get a goodnight kiss?"

"..."

"I know, I know." Taeyeon said as she ushered Jessica to her front door.

"But don't forget that I won't give up on you, alright? You can always come to me. I've got you."

A certain cold substance trickling down her skin, woke her up from her own thoughts.

"The ice cream!" She gasped as she proceeded to the melted substance off her fingers. A face then leaned close to her and helped it off her hand. 

"Gosh, you suprised me, Taengoo. Where were you, really?"

"Oh just here and there."

"Look at me now, Taengoo, I'm all sticky." Jessica whined but caught herself and blushed at her words.

"You're really cute, Sica. I'm happy to see this side of you." Taeyeon said as she stood up.

"The washroom is over there, I'll take you."

"T-together?"

"Why, you want?"

"Yah!"

"I'll wait for you outside, princess."

'Prin-cess.'the word kept entering her mind. But the way Taeyeon said it was so different from hers.

Entering the washroom, she washed up, and placed her hand against the sink, looking at her own refelction.

'Right now, we're okay. Right now, we're friends. But do I want to be more than just that?'

Walking out the door, only one thing was on her mind.

'I'll let fate do it's thing.'

 

 

 

 

 

She momentarily glanced at her wristwatch.

 

 

 

6:35

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

For now.'

-

 

Tiffany arrived early at the site. She didn't want to just sit around and wait for seven. She didn't want to think of what Jessica and Taeyeon are both doing. She didn't want to know if they became official; if Jessica would say yes, if they would be the new topic for tomorrow's gossip at lunch time. She wanted to get it out of her. And if it means being busy, she'd do it. Dragging Yuri along with her-as the latter knows how to drive- the two went off and upon arriving on the area, was guided into a secluded room in a warehouse of some sort. The place was dilapidated. It reeked of rat droppings, booze, smoke, and the ever faint scent of mothballs. Tiffany covered her nose in disgust. She wasn't used to this.

"Hey, can you still handle it?" Yuri asked, a look of concern on her face. Tiffany smiled at the thought.

"Yes I'm fine Yuwree. Don't worry 'bout me."

A sudden sound of clapping and heavy footsteps broke the conversation.

"Hello, both of you. Are you the models for our photoshoot?" The man asked, his stained teeth and loose skin showing. Disgusting. To Yuri, he didn't look like a photographer. With bloodshot eyes bulging from its sockets,  a morbidly obese pbysique, and  the small glint in his eyes that Yuri couldn't put a finger to. But it annoyed her. Oh-so-much.

"I'm not one of the models." Yuri said cooly as she took a step back, but was halted by the man's grip on her wrist.

"Oh, but you will be. After all, its a waste of your beauty if we don't include you in the shoot, right?"

"Ummm..."

"Relax. You wont do much. Just do as I say. I believe your friend here would want some company?"

At this, Tiffany looked at her with scared eyes. She knew she couldn't leave her alone in that state.

She wont leave those who cared for her, ever again. She wont replace Tiffany for another. 

 

 

Not even her.

-

Walking around the amusement park, Taeyeon boumced with each step as she prepared to go to the ferris wheel. She planned for that for three days, after all, and that was no joke. 

"Taeyeon-ah, I wanna play that." Jessica's words echoed in her ears.

"What does my Sica want to play?" She grinned cheekily, caught herself and smiled sheepishly. Sica was not hers after all. Not yet.

"Ummm... I wanna play that." Jessica said as she blushed from embarrassment, pointing the darts game.

"Sica, this is no ordinary darts game, you know, you catch criminals in here." Taeyeon said as she dragged Jessica into the booth.

"Let's give this a shot, then."

"10 rounds, please!" Taeyeon shouted with enthusiasm

"Alright, here ya go, miss." The man said as he handed the first set of darts.

"The rule here is simple. Just hit any criminal from the board;not the normal people alright?"

"Are they real criminals? And how do I seperate them from civilians?" Jessica asked innocently as she chewed on her lip.

"Yes, yes they are. Running free in Seoul, never caught once."

"What about-"

"The purpose of the game is to find the criminal, miss. No way I'm tellin' you that." He said with a wink.

"Alright, let me go first." Jessica said as she rotated her arms and threw the dart with such power... that... well... it bounced off the board.

"Pfft hahahah! You at this Sica!" Taeyeon laughed as she clutched at her stomach, tears forming at the corner of her eyes. 

"Yah! I can do this, just wait." Jessica held another as she threw one after another.

And another. 

And another.

And another.

All of which made Taeyeon burst up laughing.

"Alright, last dart." Jessica said as she kissed the dart and closed her eyes, as if reciting an incantation. Taeyeon smiled as she hugged Jessica from behind, surprising the latter.

"I'll help you Sica."

A hand held Jessica's.

"You see,"

Jessica relaxed at the contact.

"You dont need much strength in throwing the dart."

She inhaled her scent. She smells like lavender. Her favorite.

"Just gently hold it like this and..."

She felt time stop as her heartbeats were in sync with all the noises, from the screams of people, to the songs being played on the carousel.

"Throw."

It hit.

"Wow! Daebak! Taengoo-yah!" Jessica said as she hugged Taeyeon tightly.

"I know, I am, Sica. I am always daebak."

Jessica srunched her nose up at her and stuck her tongue out.

"Alright you two, let's see what you've got."

"Ooh, a nice catch young lady. This one is worth a giant stuffed toy!"

"Well, who is he, mister? For us to get such a high prize?" Taeyeon questioned, her eyebrows raised in a quizzical manner.

"Dubbed as a 'wild animal' several cases of drug pushing, smuggling, and most of all, ography photography. Hey that rhymes!" The man said as he placed the picture down on the table laughing heartily, his belly buttons showing through his tee.

Taeyeon took a peek at the picture on the counter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'No.' 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'Not her.'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'Not Miyoung.'

 

 

 

 

 

Regaining her senses, she ran out of the park, with Jessica trailing behind her. From her end, she could hear, Jessica calling out to her.

 

 

 

 

Her legs felt weak, wobbly even. Scrambling into the car, she dialed a number.

 

 

'Please be safe, Fany-ah.'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

'I wont forgive myself if something ever happens to you.'

 

 

 

 

 

'Just tell me you're alright when I get there, please?'

-

Tiffany was quickly ushered into the fitting room by two girls, probably around the age of thirteen, a dull and battered look plastered on their faces. Their eyes were boring into hers, the lifeless orbs out of them somehow reaching out to her. Shrugging the thought away, she wore the only article of clothing given to her: a robe. Tiffany was used to wearing such outfits. From the advertisement for women's clothing to whatnot, robes were never a problem for her. 'But this is way to skimpy.' she thought before continuing, 'Way too revealing, even for me.' 

Going out of the room, she grabbed for the nearest shawl handed over by one of the girls. They looked at her, their eyes continued to take short glances, as if piercing her with every glare. She looked to her side. Yuri was on the corner of the room, wearing the same ripped jeans and tank top. Two guards were on her side. She waved. Yuri waved back. 

'What are you worrying about Fany?, this is nothing! Piece of cake!'

Hitting her cheeks with the palms of her hands, she walked over to the set, doing a 90-degree bow in the process to greet the staff. 

 

 

 

Weird.

 

 

 

 

There were only three girls in the set together with the two from earlier, excluding her and Yuri, that is.

 

 

 

 

The director cleared his throat as two more men entered the warehouse, the faint scent of tobacco entering Tiffany's nostrills.

 

 

"What are we exactly shooting for, director? You haven't told us since we came here." Tiffany said here eyes darting at the people entering the warehouse. Six men in total. 

 

"Oh, don't worry sweetie" the man said as he sat Tiffany down on the leather couch, his stubby fingers lingering in Tiffany's shoulder, irking the latter. "It has been settled since a while back. Now let's start."

 

The photoshoot went well. Photos after photos were taken, and nothing seems wrong, all except for the fact that Yuri wasn't included in the shoot. She was just at the corner, not being called bg the producer, together with the guards a few feet from her. Tiffany counted. How many steps does it take to get to Yuri? How many steps before-

 

"Alright, Tiffany-ssi, now we want a real shot. Something y. Why don't you start by taking off your robe?" The man said interrupting her thoughts.

"W-what? But, there's nothing under-"

"Aren't you a professional? I am disappointed in you, miss Hwang." The man spat at her before he continued, "Every model goes through this, Tiffany-ssi, this will get you to stardom! This will get you fame! We don't need scardey-cats and wusses in the entertainment world. Now strip!" 

"Hey, old man, I don't think that's"

Yuri's words got caught in as the two men held her tightly one on each arm as they prevented her from going near them.

"You stay right there, young lady, you'll have your turn next."

"And as for you, Tiffany, if you wont do it, then will." The man approached Tiffany as she stood up amd started moving further and further back.

-

"Officer Han! Long time no see!" Officer Bae said as he took a doughnut and bit into it, some of the crumbs sticking to his beard.

"Long day officer, long day. Pesky little brats giving prank calls every now and then. Stupid teenagers wasting my time. What a baloney." Officer Han said with a hint of annoyance as he played with the gun in his hand.

The phone rang.

 

With a grumble, Officer Han stood up about to get the phone, but was cut off by Officer Bae.

"I'll get it."

"Listen here you little piece of bullcrap! If you go callin'-"

The officer's words got caught in his throat, a dark expression on his face. Grabbing for his car keys, he called for the other police. 

"Out of all times." He spat out.

"He had to come out of all times. Now my donught is wasted." He cursed as he stepped hard on the accelerator amd drove off.

-

Yuri bit the arm of the man and kicked the other in the shin. 

 

Running after the man, she quickly pushed crates along the way, obstructing her perpatrator's paths.

 

 

She doesn't have time to waste.

 

 

 

 

Grabbing for the nearest metal rod, she bashed it onto the producer who was undressing Tiffany.

 

"Arrghgh! My head! It's bleeding!" The man cried as he turned around and pulled his gun out.

 

Everything happened so fast, Tiffany wasn't able to respond.

 

 

The man pulled the trigger, and shot Yuri in the arm, the latter letting go of the rod.

 

"That'll teach you, head." He said as he grabbed a whip. One of his toys.

 

He approached Tiffany.

 

 

"See. Now, you'll be punished for what she did."

 

 

TAK!

 

Blow by blow, hit by hit, all were received by Yuri. Laying Tiffany down, she blocked the attacks of the producer.

 

Time seemed to slow down. Painfully. Everything was torture for Tiffany, trapped between Yuri and the concrete, watching Yuri groan in pain as the whip kept lashing on her back.

"W-why-"

"Shhh. It's alright, princess."

"I wont let them hurt you, long as I am here, got that?"

 

A nod.

 

 

"Now show me your best smile, princess." Yuri said, her eyes feeling blurry.

 

 

"Yuri..."

-

The loud banging of doors, alerted the men. With a loud BANG! the door bust open, several police officers raiding the area. 

 

 

 

The producer was shot, for resistance to the police. A gun shot one on his leg, and another on his shoulder.

 

 

 

The rest surrendered.

 

 

 

 

Tiffany lay there, rocking Yuri's body as tears continued to flow from her cheeks.

 

 

 -

 

Outside, the rain fell, as if siding with her pain.

 

 

 

A lone figure stood still at the entrance, her petite figure soaked from the rain.

 

 

 

Her cheeks, whether damp from her tears or the rain, she didn't know. 

 

 

 

But she knew one thing. One thing she kept on repeat as she walked away.

 

 

 

"I hurt Miyoung. I am a useless friend. I hurt her."

-

Jessica opened the door to her house, tears b in her eyes.

 

 

She grabbed a glass and went to the kitchen counter.

 

 

The roaring of the thunder surprised her, the glass slipping off her fingers.

 

 And she finally let her tears fall out. Not because she was weak and she knew that, but probably because she can't be strong for too long.

 

 

 

She sat down on the cold marble, burying her face in her hands.

 

 

She glanced at the clock.

 

 

 

 

7:10 pm

 

 

She knew at this moment.

 

 

 

 

She lost everybody.

 

 

She and her; both of them.

 

 

A.N: How was it guys? The darts game was inspired from Jessica and Krystal. Thinking about it, I missed the program a whole lot more than I expected. Sad day because of hearing the news from ladies code. I hope snsd stays healthy...

 

Anyways, please do comment, upvote and subscribe:) Take care everyone:)

 

-shizu