AWKWARD SILENCE

CARPE DIEM: MOMENTS SHARED WITH YOU

'Seeing her sitting there unresponsive makes me realize that silence has a sound.'

-Joudi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

A smile planted on her lips, Jessica Jung hummed an unfamiliar tune, slightly bobbing her head to the music, the smile never once leaving its spot. As she walked in the hallway. As she went to the cafeteria. As she ran the long flight of stairs. And it bothered the other workers to no end. It bothered Kwon Yuri to no end. Ever since that little 'date' last week with Manager Kim, or as Jessica called it 'Taengoo' she never had felt more proud and happy and assured of herself. That now, she found someone she could trust. Now, she had a friend. Now, she had Taeyeon.

Breathing in a sigh of relief, she pushed the glass doors open a greeted the other workers -earning herself an awkward and surprised "oh... good morn.. umm... hello..."- but she didn't mind that. After all, she came in for only one reason.

"Excuse me, where is Taeng... I mean Manager Kim?" Jessica said, the heat creeping up to her cheeks as she looked down and cleared trying to ease the tension.

"Ohohoho, something's different with our princess huh? Is it because of another  date, Hmmmm?" Sooyoung asked, a loopsided grin showing on her face.

"It's not like that, really. It will just be a friendly meet up." Jessica said shooing the thoughts away by waving her hand.

"Alright, I believe you. Manager Kim is just in the main builing on the 1st floor in her of-"

"Why can't you search for her by yourself?" Yuri said in an indifferent and cold voice which surprised Jessica.

"fice.." " Yah, Kwon Yul! Why do you have to in like that? Huh?" Sooyoung said in one fast breath.

"It's okay Sooyoung. I'll be going then. Bye." Jessica said and her heels.

-

Messing her hair while on her desk, Kwon Yuri did not know what just happened.

'Stop this Kwon Yuri. You like Tiffany. You like Tiffany. You like Ti-'

"Excuse me?" A voice snapped Yuri wide awake. Turning her head to the side to see the person with the eye-smiles made her only want to snap her head back at the other direction. Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Oh Tiffany, I-I didn't see you there." 'Crap. Stuttering fool. Idiot stuttering Yuri!'

', did she hear me? Was I thinking aloud?' Yuri frowned deeply.

"Yes and yes" Tiffany said cheerfully, her hands surreptitiously reaching until Yuri's shoulders, giving her a massage. " You should relax Yuwree." She said teasingly, making Yuri choke back on her words.

'Cute. I'd love to more.'A smirk was evident on Tiffany's lips as the thought played in her mind.

"It's okay. No need to be so tense~" Tiffany leaned close to Yuri's ear and whipered  with her sultry voice.

"Umm.. y-yeah al-alright Tiffany. Ummm..." Yuri couldn't find the words to say at that moment, and it made her uncomfortable. It made her shy. It made her look awkward. And for the Yuri who was popular with everyone, the way she is feeling right now is different. And she did not like it. Not. One. Bit.

"See you around Yuwree~" she cooed as left, the glass doors shutting behind her.

"Bye..." Yuri replied to nobody. 'Thump. Thump. Thump.' 'what was that about?!'

-

People were already crowding the hallway, preparing for each of their meetings. But not for Yuri. And neither for Jessica. After a month of staying at the corporation, no single job review has been offered to their group, much to their disappointment. Feeling awkward with just two of them in the room, Yuri started a conversation;a light-hearted one indeed, but finally, she asked about the thing that has been bothering her ever since.

"Umm.. so.. you've been really happy these days huh, Sica?"

"Yes, yes I am. Taeyeon is really great." Jessica said dreamily, annoying Yuri. 

With the constant praises that Jessica was pouring out for Taeyeon in Yuri's face, the latter was already feeling her head throb. Unbeknownst to Jessica, Yuri was already reaching her own limits.

"If you're gonna keep talking about her, why don't you two just stick together?" Yuri said her eyebrows raised in a manner Jessica disliked.

"Hey, you asked me so I answered! What's the problem with that? What's the matter with you?" Jessica raised her voice

"What's the matter with me? ME? The problem is with you! You've changed! Taking about her as if she's so important." Yuri snapped, her nails digging at her own skin as she felt her blood boil.

"So now I can't be happy." Jessica said in a cold voice.

"That's not-"

"Don't talk about me like you know everything, Kwon Yuri. I shouldn't have expected anything from you... You can't compare to Taeyeon." Jessica uttered. But Yuri heard it. Clearly. Silence followed between the two of them. And amidst all the people swarming back in and greeting them with smiles on their faces, Yuri felt alone.

-

The meeting with Lee Soo Man tired Taeyeon out. Stretching her limbs and managing a yawn, she looked over to see Tiffany, a tired smile on her face.

"Good work today, manager" Tiffany said as she stood up and saluted playfully. "Heh, nice work too, Secretary Hwang." Taeyeon countered as she tapped Tiffany's . " Hey, no fair Tae-Tae!" Tiffany sulked as she sat down on the couch. "I'm going to sleep here. It's too late anyways..." Tiffany said stifling a yawn. "Hey wait..." Taeyeon started but was cut off by a sleeping Tiffany.

"Tae-tae..." she mumbled. Taeyeon smiled, removing her coat and placing it over Tiffany.

"Sleep well, Fany-ah." Taeyeon whispered and sat back down on the office chair. "I guess I'll have to spend the night here today...can't have a lady being here alone can we?..." "The meeting..*yawn* I'll have to deal with it tomorrow."Taeyeon mumbled, a content smile on her lips as she traced Tiffany's features with her eyes and fell asleep.

-

It has been almost a week since Jessica and Yuri started avoiding each other. No one knew what had happened between them; how the tension obtrusively made its way in between the two. No bickering. No talking. No "prin-cess." No nothing. And it made Yuri feel guilty. She knew what she had done; but she believed Jessica had her own share of faults. 'Heck 'Taengoo' had her part too!' she thought, appalled at the fact that she can be replaced easily by someone new. 

'I know I like Tiffany but... No. I'm just insecure cause she likes Tiffany too. I'm just angry cause I haven't gotten a real scoop yet. I'm just frustrated at the young Taeyeon who quickly became a manager. That's it. I've gotta step up my pace.' Yuri thought, her pride overpowering everything else. 'The last thing I'll ever do is apologize, you can count on it' 

Sitting back comfortably at her chair, she took a peek at Jessica. Jessica caught that. She did, but after looking at her with contempt and disgust, Jessica turned away. Pretended not to see. Pretended not to know. Twirling her pen around her fingers, Yuri let out a bitter smile. 'She hates me now, huh? Can't she really handle seeing me? Did I make that much of a mistake for her to look at me like that?... I guess rivals aren't ever supposed to be friends..'

Suddenly, Yoona entered, a smile on her face, interrupting her train of thoughts.

"Kwon Yuri, Jessica Jung, manager's office, N.O.W."

A.N: Hello, it's me again guys! *wave , wave* was this chapter nice? Or boring? Haha I dont really know so constructive critisicm will be really helpful:) Well, that's it for today! Back to studying....

-shizu