LET ME HELP YOU

CARPE DIEM: MOMENTS SHARED WITH YOU

"My mind and gut are never simpatico: Everytime I think somebody likes me, she doesn't;  everytime I think somebody doesn't like me, she does. This has never changed and I'm certain it never will."

-Chuck Klosterman, Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a true story

The idea of working in an environment crowded with people has never 'clicked' with the socially awkward Jessica. Too much noise, too much bother. Too much promises, too much pressure. 'Just get the books done, and get the blogs posted on due time. That's it. No more,no less. Let's stick with that mindset, Jessica.' 

She continued to type, her head bent down, not bothering to take even the slightest break to talk with her co-workers. She craned her neck and focused onto the screen. She just had to be busy. 'can't make eye contact or they'll talk to me. Can't make eye contact or they'll talk to me. Can't make eye contact or they'll talk to me.' the thought alone made her keep her head bent down low-even if it meant a stiff neck in a few hours.

She continued to type the whole page for the book she has been working on, reread everything, and with a frustrated growl, deleted everything." Why can't I find the right words?!" She massaged her temples while closing her eyes; she can feel the start of a migrane. Jessica reached over for the sweets jar on her desk and grabbed a strawberry flavored lollipop. She stuffed the piece of sweet in , savoring the taste of the hard candy. Stretching her back a little, she proceeded to tapping on her keyboard.

-

Lunch time in the office. That's the other reason Jessica hates places with people the most.

From her peripheral vision, she could see everyone rolling on the wheels of their office chairs, grouping into sections either talking about the latest gossip or their office crush. Jessica sighed. She always hated moments like these. Moments which forced her to be or at least pretend to be busy just so she wouldn't feel oh-so-left-out in the company of others. 'how do people make friends easily? ' that thought came running into her as she busied herself in her work albeit feeling hungry herself.

"Hey.. umm wanna eat lunch with us?" Sooyoung,the other employee snapped her out of her reverie.

Jessica raised her head only to see an expression that she doesn't ever want to see.

Pity.

Jessica hated being pitied the most. It makes her feel weak,and insecure and all the more it made her feel small. 

'I don't need to belong. I don't need anyone's pity nor I  need anyone's attention.'

"I'm fine Sooyoung-ssi. I have a lot of work to do. Besides,I'm not hungry." Jessica forced a smile, formally rejecting the offer.

"Ummm... okay then" Sooyoung replied scratching the back of her neck. "Enjoy... working?..." she said awkwardly. 

Everything resumed in silence. But just when Jessica thinks that she had found peace at last, the doors of the office flung wide open, revealing the raven haired Yuri.

"Hey Soo! Still a shikshin as ever are we? You haven't changed at all Soo, haven't changed at all."

"Pffffftttt, Kwon Yuri, you just met me yesterday." Sooyoung bellowed, giving Yuri a playful push.

"Alright,alright Soo. How about our choding Yoona? Everything going well?..."

The conversation continued, drowning out Jessica's existence in the scene. Sure she felt awkward and lonely, but at least she wouldn't be bothered, she thought deeply.

 "Hey prin-cess,doen't your mouth stink from keeping mum all day long?" Yuri asked earning herself slaps on the shoulder from other workers and snickers from some.

"Hey I don't-" Jessica protested as she was cut off with Yuri's face leaning so closely dangerous to her.

"Mmmmm... strawberries. If I liked you I would have kissed you ya know? Too bad I don't." Yuri said with a smirk earning an indignant glare from Jessica.

"Whatever. Don't ever bother me again." Jessica said coldly, trying to stop her embarrassment from showing.

'She's a creep! A freaking, manic, egoistic creep! Does she always have to embarrass me EVERY SINGLE DAY?!'

Yuri laughed,acting as if nothing ever happened; as if she never said anything at all, giving high-fives here and there and playing around with the other workers. Then someone entered the room. And for the first time, people saw something they have never seen before.

A shy and flustered Kwon Yuri.

"Umm...good morning Tiffany-ssi" Yuri said trying to hide her warming cheeks.

Now that caught Jessica's attention. She found it amusing how a confident person like her can change so suddenly. 

But then she felt insecure.'Does that mean she likes Tiffany too? Gosh, I surely didn't expect a rival!'

"Oh Yuwree, don't bother with the formalities! Tiffany is fine, really." The eye-smiling princess beamed, flashing her brightest smile. 

"Jessica-ssi? You are the new comer right?" Tiffany suddenly turned her attention to the shocked Jessica.

"Y-yes I am Tiffany-ssi. I-its nice to meet you." Jessica said as she bowed, having experienced her fair share of warmed cheeks and butterflies.'oh, the joys of karma. I spoke too soon.' Jessica thought, giving herself a big mental face-palm.

"You're cute. Its okay to be informal towards me. After all, we would be in the same team. I hope we can become friends, Jessie"

'She gave me a nickname!'

"Oh sorry, is calling you like that too sudden?"

"Oh n-no! I like it! I mean ummm... it's okay yeah..." Jessica said sheepishly avoiding eye contact at the others, a smirk evident on their faces.

"Alright, see you later then Jessie, Yuri." And with that, she left the office.

-

At long last, the workers finished their job for the day, each of them packing up amd bidding each other good-byes and see you tomorrows. 

 

Jessica walked along the narrow hallway of the company, taking in the fact that she is here at last. Suddenly someone caught up to her and tapped her from behind. She turned around to face the person.

And it ruined her day.

"What is it Miss Kwon?" She said trying to be professional.

"Don't you 'miss kwon' me after calling me a monkey weeks ago." Yuri said playfully. Unfortunately, the ice-cold woman didn't catch on the joke. Yuri cleared ." So I see you like Tiffany."

"You're quite an open book yourself" Jessica replied nonchalantly.

"Yep. And I don't go down without a fight. So keep your game face up prin-cess. See ya later." Yuri replied and was about to walk away until something caught her attention.

"Jessica-ssi ! Jessica-ssi ! " footsteps echoed in the hallway.

"Manager Kim? What's wrong?" Jessica said seeing a panting Kim Taeyeon.

"I was just wondering... uhhh... m-maybe we can have lunch this Friday? I mean..  it's okay if you are busy... but umm if you want too..." Taeyeon trailed off looking at Jessica with hopeful eyes.

"Uhh... Sure manager Kim."

"Great! Friday, alright! It's a date!" Taeyeon cheered happily as she left, bringing a smile to form on Jessica's face as well.

"Someone's happy~" Yuri cooed. Jessica shrugged it off. But then something came up Yuri's mind.

"Hey what do you say I help you for your date with Miss Kim? I know a lot about it, and I can help you not to embarrass yourself too much." Yuri said a smirk playing on her lips.

"This is not some kind of trick is it? You will really help me?" Jessica asked doubting Yuri's sincerity.

"Of course not. Promise." Yuri raised her hand as if reciting an oath.

"Alright. I'll take your offer. Just this once." Jessica agreed.

Yuri smiled, a plan already hatching at the back of her mind.

'I'll set them up and Tiffany can be mine; All mine...'