Betrayl & Pain, New Friends, Dain the ComeBack Kid! Part 1

To Live is an Awfully Big Adventure

Two weeks after debut YG told us we were moving in with each other and we all had mixed feelings about that. (think about 2NE1 on 2NE1 TV not wanting to move in together, CL & Bom were so funny) He gave us a week to pack essentials and I felt weird because I was moving to Seoul which was pretty far from where my parents stayed. (NOW, I only know but so much but for this story sake, Dain & her family live in Busan- BECAUSE BUSAN IS GORGEOUS AND I LOVE BUSAN’S SATOORI. If it takes a plane to get to Busan from Seoul, for this story’s sake let’s just say it is a 3 hour drive from Busan to Seoul!) When the time came to move in I was having an enternal dilemma! I have never not lived ith my parents or a family member so I was not all too excited about this move and the girls knew it. YG tried to make it up, making sure that I had a princess bed, which the girls helped me decorate. After talking to my parents, the girls found I out I needed puppy headbands/ puppy ears to sleep so they made sure I multiple pair in the dorm. (I got this from BTOB’ Changsub sleeping with his animal ears in their Diary show, the cutest freaking thing I’ve seen^^) After they gave them to me I immediately tried a pair on and turned to them questioningly.

"Yes! Our pretty maknae-yah is very cute!" I jumped on the bed with them laughing as we had a mini pillow fight before getting tired.

We ended up falling asleep on each other like a pack of wolves with me clutching one of the girls. I had my neck tucked under a chin, holding on to a shoulder, smushed between two of the girls and slept peacefully. The anxious feeling not being with my parents went to the farthest recesses of my mind as I was with my members.

 


A month into our promotions our following became huge and we became extremely popular, while not unheard of, the rise to popularity was almost unheard of. I think what sealed the deal when the group EXO mentioned they liked us. I had personally never heard of the group EXO but apparently they were the trend amongst the public so I felt grateful that they were interested in our group. During that month our song reached the Top 3 on the MuBank show, shocking all of us that at our next fansign we went all out with the fanservice, showing our thanks. Our blessings kept coming when we were at a music show doing our prerecording session , going back to our waiting room to monitor ourselves. I stopped and moved to the wall and began bowing as BEG sunbaenims were walking towards us, starting a ripple effect so enarmored and in awe, not noticing the camera crew that were filming them.

"You're POWER, right?"

"Yes, BEG seniors!" We said bowing deeply.

I grabbed the hand beside me as an achor so I wouldn’t begin crying, screaming out my admiration to some of my role models.

"Well let's get an introduction from you girls!"

We got straight and did our introduction- “You want it, we got it, POWER!” (If you know a better introduction please comment below because I at creative things like that) and introduced ourselves individually.

Everything went well until I stuttered out my name bowing deeply, close to imitating an ostrisch sticking my head in the ground.

"Are you nervous, Dain-ssi?"

"N-no., sun-sunbaenim!" I said probably grimacing instead of the smile I was aiming for.

"Our Dain-ah, became a singer because of Narsha and Miryo sunbaenims."

"Really?" I succeeded with a better smiled this time.

"I sang a tiny bit of Dunk on Sleep for my audition." I clarified stepping back when Narsha walked towards me.

"Well don't be shy, Dain-ssi, come on, give Narsha unnie a hug!"

"You're going to scare our hoobaes." Gain said laughing at the situation.

She waved her hand off and hugged me when all I did was try to remember how to breathe and not get tears all over Narsha’s outfit! She backed up, making noise as she dabbed at my eyes with her fingers.

"You're too pretty, don't mess up your makeup, Dain-ah."

"You're my role model, how can I not cry, Narsha sunbaenim?"

"Hey cut that out. You can be comfortable with all of us, okay? Call us unnies. We have been watching over you and are big fans."

 

 


Unfortunately as well as embarrassingly, my meeting with my role models was included in the BTS clip of BEG for the music show because so popular it vent viral. A consensus was that the Everlastings found it cute and funny to have a YG artist fangirl over their unnies/noonas. I personally became better speaking with them as we saw them so frequently during our promotion period; so better that I started calling them ‘unnie’.

 "Come on, Dain-ah you sound so stiff and look uncomfortable! We're your unnies!"

"And my role model, u-unnie!"

"Okay, how about this-" JeA began but was cut off by a grinning Miryo.

"Suri, how about you girls come stay with us for a weekend and hang out." To say we were shocked was an understatement and I reached for the nearest hand but was shook off by a glaring Tali.

“My goodness Dain we’ve met them so many times!”

“Shut up and hold my hand, Tali! This is serious! You’d be the same way if we met Kara sunbaenim!”

“I have better control of my face while you just look like a gaping fish, so unprofessional!”

“Like you’re the epitome of professionalism! It took you longer to get rid of your satoori than me!”

“You wanna see what else I can get rid of brat?”

“I swear to god I’m going to go Super Saiyan on your asses if you two do not shut the up arguing in front of our seniors.” Jinju hissed at us pinching both of us.

"-great! Is this weekend good?" Gain asked. Realizing we had been arguing so long we missed out of the conversation I looked around and met Nari’s sneer knowing I wouldn’t hear the end of it.

“Can’t believe we’re about to get in trouble because you don’t want to hold my hand."

“You’re going to be holding my fist with your face.”

“Tayee-“

“Choi Dain!”

“SHUT THE UP.” Minah said turning nudging us before we said our goodbyes continuing to our waiting room.

I made sure not to say anything else but began to bow along with the other girls. I saw a bunch of clothes that said EXO, feeling happy to thank them for mentioning us when I saw their faces. I stared at them a bit before turning and walking but my name was called and my elbow was grabbed. 

"Don't touch me!"

"We're sorry!"

"Sorry? All twelve of you have lied to me! Local boys, right? I've told you things about my personal life and you're part of this popular group? What is wrong with you all? Is this how you were raised?" I seethed looking at the boys I had gotten to know over the past couple of years.

"We didn't tell you because you were the first girl to treat us normal! We thought you'd treat us different!"

"I don't know who the freak you guys are!! I don't know any current groups except for YG and BEG! My life is in the States! But you know what; I'll treat you so normal that you'll be bums on the street." I said walking straight into my scolding by the girls with Tali for arguing in front of our seniors.

I didn’t even bat an eye as I was still seething from being lied to by ‘EXO’ but my anger was pushed to the side by that weekend as we spent it with our BEG sunbaes with a sleepover that became public knowledge as pictures of us hanging out were posted by the girls on their Twitters and Instagrams.

 

 


We began promotions with our second single Clap Your Hands (you guessed it, 2NE1’s CYH which is one of my FAVORITE 2NE1 songs) and I got a bigger rap part which I was excited about and they changed up my look! I got to really get into the hardcore street/warrior look that I felt more comfortable in. Our first time performing it, I was really into it and did my best trying to have as much fun that I could get away with without being scolded by Suri for being too much. During that promotion period I saw EXO at just about every music show and felt my indifference to them rising that I actively avoided seeing them as they tried to talk to me. Two weeks into our promotions for CYH we did a special stage for I Got A Boy and we WON! We cried like babies and tried to get ourselves together for our speech but it was useless. Suri held in her tears as the leader and so did Joonmi since she was the oldest but the rest of us were crying waterfalls. We bowed to the other artists and did a formal bow to our fans which made them go CRAZY. We tried to get BEG to stay on stage but they pushed us out to do our encore. When we got to the front of the stage we looked around and 2NE1 came on stage to cheer with us. Once we were done with our encore we all cried like babies as we were congratulated by our sunbaes and staff. When we got back to our dorm we made cookies and brought them to our producers who worked on I Got A Boy and gave them the food along with President YG. We started promoting Clap Your Hands and after a while we won for both songs repeatedly, the beginning of our group becoming a force to be reckoned with.

Before long my birthday came up (I’m 15 now, still a kid) and the girls surprised me with a party at a restaurant were all my schools friends and family came which I had a lot of fun. I hadn’t been able to see my friends and family because as rookies we were always practicing and when we weren’t practicing we were sleeping. During my birthday I felt like a normal teenager instead of a Kpop idol but my ‘birthday wave’ ended at our next fansign. I was so happy seeing fans of all ages come up to us, trying to connect with the people that put so much faith in us that we had no idea it could go oh so wrong.

"Hello!" I said bowing.

"Hello, Choi Dain!"

"Yes?" I asked while signing my name.

"Look at my post it!" I nodded to the fan before looking down at her post it note for me.

*Your black skin is bringing the group POWER down. You make YG look bad by not being a full Korean. You should have stayed in Africa. Lighten your skin so POWER can become popular.*

I looked up and frowned as the girl sneered at me.

"If you do that you'll fit in. No one likes a mix blood person like you."

"I'm sorry you feel that way but I am loved by many fans that have no problem with the way I look." I said looking at her.

"I don't know why you're in this group. You're too dark, you're not even full Korean and you're fat!"

"That's funny because I'm in this group aren't I? I'm performing on stage doing what I love aren't I? While you're doing what?" The girls started cursing and grabbed her album before slapping me with it extremely hard and at that moment it felt like time had stopped.

I was grabbed and covered by the time sound came back to my ears. There was screaming all around me and I looked to my sides to see Minah and Tali protecting me. I looked between them seeing the others up from their seats, yelling at this particular fan and security trying to get things under control. The girls and the rest of the staff got me out of the venue and they were in my face talking to me but I couldn't see clearly.  Like time was speeding up, I was in the car before I knew it. There was so much noise, talking, yells all around me that I couldn’t even hear myself. Getting into the building was a task in itself because I could finally hear myself screaming, crying, yelling out my anger and pain. I ended up in the corner crouching over myself crying to exhaustion. I came to by a voice close to ears and looked around and realized I was in YG’s office from all of the toys in the room and finally looked up at YG who was on the phone with his arm around me. I turned my face into his shirt and cried as everything came back to me. I didn’t hear the door open because a bunch of hands were on me as I was taken out of YG's lap, being held like a small kid in someone’s arms which is how I fell asleep, clutching onto that person. It felt like no time had passed when I woke up again to my back being rubbed.

"Hungry, baby?" I nodded as I was carried to the cafeteria, hiding my face from the cooks who began to ask questions.

I was sat down and began to eat, making sure I covered the left side of my face where I was hit from everyone around us. After a couple of bites I stopped because the pain as overwhelming and laid my head down on the table. It didn’t take long before an arm wrapped around me.

"Does it hurt to chew?" I nodded and glanced up to Bom unnie.

She smiled a little before she got up and brought me a smoothie.

"Ready to go, baby?" She asked as I was almost done with my drink and I nodded.

Bom threw away my drink and came, picking me up. From the cafeteria back to YGs office I cried silently because I had been so optimistic with being in the industry that I completely forgot how many people don’t like what I represent. I could take any and everything but physical violence to my person was something I had never thought could happen to me. I had never heard of an anti-fan physically hurting an idol before. When we got in YG’s office I saw the girls who immediately got up and took me from Bom to hug me and comfort me. I was so glad they weren’t mad at me for causing trouble as I tried wrapping my arms around all of them.

"Are you in trouble?" I asked quietly and the girls all laughed.

"Don't worry about us, Dain-ah." Jinju said as Suri lifted up my face but I moved my head to look at the ground.

"I could have broke every bone in her body." Joonmi sneered and I stepped away from her.

"What's wrong?"

"Don't sneer...that girl...she sneered at me b-before-"

"We understand, Dain-ah." I nodded and they sat me down with them.

I was so caught up that I didn’t realize all the other artists were in YG’s office watching us. "I didn't break anything did I?" I asked because I am known for being so in my anger that I end of breaking things intentionally and unintentionally.

"Almost."

"I'm sorry President, I sort of... out." He waved his hand in the air causing me to look down and outstretched my hand to the girls.

Renni held it and I crossed my legs and put my chin on my knees.

"I'm canceling the rest of your fansigns and going to start the process of your fan club because what happened today was unacceptable. I promised you girls that being with my company you would be protected but our Dain-ah was not protected. I won't allow you girls to be put in danger. We, the company, are going to go after the person that did this because it will only be a matter of time before antis do this to every idol they hate. I hate that one of our own had to be made an example but I promise you, that fan won’t get away with this."

All the girls nodded but I frowned. "But President, don’t cancel the fansigns-"

"What?" One of our seniors yelled.

"Excuse me?!?" CL said stepping closer to us but I just shook my head.

"Dain-ah you were attacked today!" My sunbaes yelled and the girls bristled.

"Suri!" Jiyong yelled after his rant on how I was being too nice.

"Dain-ah has always been like this, she's stubborn." She said making the girls all nod.

"Mr. President don't punish all of the fans! Keep the fansigns."

"He can't put you or the girls in danger, Dain-ah! Why can’t you understand this?!" Daesung said loudly over everyone else in the room giving me their reasoning.

"They aren't in danger and I won't go to the fansigns. Obviously fans don't like me so why dangle me in their faces? I think you should keep the fansigns while I get other things done, like school or something!" I said and the sunbaes had a fit.

"Yah! I'm the President! I make the final decision! Dain-ah, that's not fair to your fans!" I smiled a bit and shook my head.

"I don't have any fans and I'm okay with that! I just don't think you should punish the fans who do like the group because of what I caused." I said looking at him.

"Oh my god she thinks it's her fault! Look Dain Choi, stop this crap! Just because one stupid put her hands on you because she's unhappy with herself does not make you the cause!" Bom yelled at me in English.

I looked away, frowning at her words. "Now stop it!" She yelled and sat down as Joonmi stood up.

"Jenny she's our member! This is our group! I know you look after us but this is our group. POWER NOT 2NE1. Just because you debuted first does not make your word law. We are her sisters! We are her members. We know how to comfort and protect our baby. If she wants to sit out on the fansigns because of our fans then we will let her do that. We got this." Joonmi said in English and Bom looked away.

"Whatever, you think because we’re friends you can talk to me informally." She sat down and I glanced at YG who had been looking at me.

"Okay, fansigns continue but Dain-ah will not participate in them. Only Guerrilla style fansigns because I can’t take that chance for it to happen to the rest of you girls." I nodded and bowed.

"Thank you, Mr. President!" I said and left with the girls while the sunbaes were livid with YG's decision.

From the time I got in the van to go back to our dorm until stepping inside our dorm I cried, hurt from the pain and frustration. The girls stayed out my way as I went to my room and destroyed in my fit of anger. I fell asleep from exhaustion with all the girls holding me as I slept. When I woke up my body was sore and my room clean. I sighed promising myself to not let my emotions get the best of me and try to make life easier for my members who had always took care of me.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Part 2 will be up soon!