The Time is Here

To Live is an Awfully Big Adventure

"Dain-ah, you better be awake when we get to your place dressed ready to go!" Jinju said over the phone in her no nonsense voice.

"Yes unnie!" I said groggily getting up to shower.

My mom helped me pick out my outfit and already had breakfast ready for me once I got to the kitchen. I ate well and sat in the bathroom as my mom straightened my hair making sure I didn't fall asleep threatening to get close to the root. I did my makeup and had just finished with my earrings when my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Dain-ah, come on down!"

"Okay, unnie!" I hung up and hugged my mom and my dad came out their bedroom to give me a hug.

"You look great, fighting!"

"Fighting!" I said grabbing my shoes and leaving.

I made it to the lobby and walked out to the van. I opened the door to my unnie's talking and laughing.

"Morning unnie's!"

"Maknae! Donsaeng! Dain-ah!" I sat down and closed the door before hugging them as I sat in the middle.

I fell asleep almost immediately and didn't wake up until we were in front of the YG building. I walked into the building half conscious probably passing a lot of important people but I was too sleepy to care. We went to our practice room and took 30 minutes before we got to practice.

"Okay kids!-"

"Im not your goddamn kid, Lee Suri"

"Let's get up! Let's run through it and correct mistakes!" Suri said loudly ignoring Joonmi's words.

"Aish, give her the title of leader and it goes to her head."

"Ahjumma!"

"YAH! KANG JOONMI-SSI CAN YOU PLEASE BLESS US WITH YOUR VOICE OF GOLD?!?!" Nari yelled back.

"Someone realizes how valuable I am."

"As valuable as a one trick pony." Renni said under her breath but she still got a hit to the leg from Joonmi.

After the mini squabble we were able to practice our monthly evaluation 4 times and before we went to go eat.

 

 

 

As we went to the cafeteria I tripped, still not fully awake, squawked like an injured bird and waited for the impact. When I didn't, I opened my eyes, looking up at TOP of Big Bang holding me.

"Omo! Oppa! Sunbaenim! Thank you for saving me!" I said once I was upright and then I launched myself onto him.

"Eat well!"

"Maknae-yah!"

"Thank you again oppa!" I said bowing 90 degrees before running in the cafeteria to eat.

The girls scolded me for being so clumsy but they didn't see TOP smile and call me cute looking after me. Eventually, we finished eating and practiced one more time before we were lead into the room we would carry out our monthly evaluation and bowed. Mr. President was there and I feeling extremely nervous I grabbed Joonmi's hand.

"Don't worry, let's do well yes?" I nodded and got in place.

I gave each person eye contact but feeling better when I saw TOP oppa and decided to keep the majority of my focus on him as we performed. We took a break to change into our dance clothes and I felt more in my element when we began to dance. Once we finished everybody clapped for us, pleased with our performances. Once we were dismissed Suri, who was so happy and pleased,  said she would treat us all to some meat. We came back and relaxed in the practice room until I got a call from my cousin saying I had 15 minutes to put on my school uniform before she came and picked me up. I rushed getting my uniform on and ran out the bathroom to stop by the practice room to tell the girls goodbye. The girls jumped up and cooed over how cute I looked in my school uniform, subjected toembarrassment until my phone rang with my cousin yelling at me to hurry up.

"Unnies! I have to go, now!" They hugged me one last time beforeI ran to the door and turned and did a heart.

Unnies, I love you!" I said smiling at them before I ran to the main floor passing sunbaes who were watching me.

I made it to the front door when my name was called. I turned and it was TOP and Dara sunbaenims. I took a step but stepped back and bowed deeply.

"Sunbaenims?"

"You and the girls did really good." TOP said smiling at me.

"Thank you oppa! I mean TOP sunbae!"

"You can call me oppa."

"Ohh, Dain-ah, you are cute!" Dara said palming my face as I went still and she laughed and began to fix my hair.

"Silly girl when you run you mess up your pretty hair, are you going to be a maknae that needs someone to take care of her?" I looked down and TOP made a noise.

"Don't worry, Dain-ah, oppa will take care of you." I looked up and smiled big and he squawked at me.

"Wow you're cute." I laughed and waited for Dara to try an fix my wild hair.

"Now go to school and work hard." I bowed deeply again and waved.

"By oppa! By Dara sunbaenim!" I said and ran to the car but was yelled at again.

"Don't mess up your hair, maknae-yah!"

"Sorry!" I said in English and got in the car.

"Look at you charming the sunbaes!"

"I thought I was in trouble!"

"Forget that, how was monthly evaluation?"

"It went really well! Mr. President seemed pleased and the sunbaes looked entertained." I said and Natasha kept nodding.

"Well rest up, I know you're tired." I didn't need to be told twice as I curled into the seat and fell asleep in minutes.

 

 

 

When I woke up it was to Nat rubbing my arm. I got out the car and stretched before linking arms with her and we walked into school. I didn't have time to take my makeup off so I looked like an actress playing a role. When I saw all my friends at lunch they were extremely loud asking about my monthly evaluation and I got embarrassed.

"Of course they were average! Dain is not debuting." We all busted out laughing and the day went on as normal.

I had free time to spend with the girls so after school we went to the dance studio which I hadn't visited since I became a trainee. The girls were teasing me about not debuting and I yelled at then which gave them more amo.

"Can you believe this, girl? Two months ago she threw away every company card!" I laughed and stuck my tongue out at her.

"Didn't throw away YG's!"

"You're a trainee?" We looked up at the guys who had been frequenting the dance studio as much as we had and laughed.

"Yeah, I've been a trainee for quite some time, had my monthly evaluation today."

"And you went to school?" I nodded and the guys looked impressed.

"Yeah, and I don't have to be back at YG until later tonight."

"That's right girls, our sweet Dain-ah have two sunbaes wrapped around her fingers!" I turned around quickly.

"No! It's not like that! I thought they were going to scold me for running!"

"Who is it!!"

"TOP and Dara!" The girls became obnoxious and I tried to hide behind the guys.

"TOP had the biggest smile on and Dara caressed her face and fixed her hair!"

"Because when I as running my hair got messed up!"

"And TOP oppa said-"

"He was going to look after me because Dara sunbae said I was a maknae that needed to be looked after!" I said cutting her off bfore she said something ridiculous.

"You really do though I don't know how you survived the States!"

"I grew up there!"

"You grew up HERE."

"It's different back home!" I said shrugging. My phone rang and I stepped to the side.

"Hello?"

"Dain-ah, it's Joonmi unnie."

"Unnie!" I said excitedly.

"Where are you babes? Mr. President wants to see us."

"Unnie why? Did I get us in trouble? I promise I won't run again!"

"Ah~maknae-yah."

"Ahh~ unnie-yah!" I heard squeals and glared at my friend making a lot of noise.

"Where are you so unnie can come and get you?" I told her where I was and the girls waited outside to meet her.

She came 10 minutes later and I stood up and ran to jump on her.

"One day unnie is going to be too weak to hold us up."

"Nonsense unnie, my friends want to meet you." She turned and held my hand as I took her to meet the girls.

They talked for a while and then she looked behind them and looked surprised.

"Those are just local guys who practice here like us."

"Local guys? Yah,maknae-yah-"

"Yeah we're just local boys." She looked at them and laughed.

"Oh really? Pfft, come on maknae-yah, let's go see Mr. President." I said bye and got in the car with, telling Joonmi all about my day as we headed back to the YG building.

We entered the building and met the girls in our practice room before going up to President YG's floor. We had never been so we looked around at the pictures of the groups already debuted in YG.  We got to his office door and knocked on his door waiting.

"Come in." We walked in and glanced around for a bit, looking at all the toys in the room until we got to YG and some other guys.

"These are my girls." He said and we smiled a bit after bowing.

"Hello, girls I know I said you'd have free time but I was very impressed with your growth." He said looking at each one of us.

"I think if you keep it up, in the next 6months you'll be debuting." We all seemd to fidget with that piece of news.

"That sound good?"

"Yes!" We all said and YG nodded.

"Dain-ah, how was school, today?" I was shocked and looked at him before answering.

"It was tiring but I made it through." I said honestly.

Everyone laughed and a man moved.

"Cute, are you the maknae?"

"Yes."

"How old are you?"

"I'm 13."

"You'd be debuting at 14 then." We all squirmed at the mention of debuting.

"Yes, if we accomplish our dream."

"I usually don't like maknae's but I like you." I bowed and we finally left.

 

 

 

 

After our breif meeting with President YG Suri wrote up a pact to not let outside distractions get to us so we could practice and be able to debut soon.


We were 3months (3 down, 3 more to go) into our goal when we had an impromptu evaluation with a lot more people than usual. Just about every YG artist and staff were there to see us. We were notified in advanced so we were dressed properly but we weren't prepared for the amount of people there. We bowed and said hello and immediately found a person to keep our eyes on. Mine just so happened to be Teddy the producer and Bom. We danced and performed a song we composed ourselves early on in our trainee period. We got in a straight line after we finished and watched everyone hold up paddles with 1's on it. YG stood beside us and counted the paddles before he turned to us.

"Girls in the next day or twoor two we'll be coming up with a group name and start recording for your mini album because in 2 months you'll be debuting!" We cried and thanked everyone in the room as we had just received the news we had been waiting YEARS for!

I couldn't tell anyone but my grandparents (and parents) who freaked out with me. In the next couple of weeks we began our debut process with pictures and promo videos amongst all types of things! I was still able to go to school but I didn't let anyone know that I was set to debut in a couple of months. About a month after our approval to debut the company released a video of all 9 of us faceless going around town and ultimately ending on a stage, bowing about to introduce ourselves before it ends. Teasers like this go on for a week or two before they released our individual pictures and then the teaser showing our faces that had us introducing ourselves as POWER. We instantly became the YG version of Girls Generation from the number of member in our group. Surprisingly people found me interesting which I found funny because I was goign to be the first mixed Korean in the idol industry! Our teasers were then released being charismatic and stylish appealing to the YG fan base . When I was able to go to school everyone didn't treat me differently but said that the promotions were nice and that I looked cooler than I did in real life. About a month later our teaser for our debut song came out and it got a lot of buzz because it was different from 2NE1 and pretty y and cute.

 

(When I wrote this I was OBSESSED with SNSD's IGAB but imagine they promoted the Katy Tiz original version)

 

We had our debut stage a week later and it was the most nerve racking thing I had ever experienced in my life!! When we performed live on stage I was shaky when I first started but as the song went further in I became confident and performed like we practiced, enjoying myself! I fed off the energy of the other girls and sang my part confidently and threw in some appropriate aegyo before continuing the routine. When it was over there were a lot if cheers and we got off of stage to hug each other. We went back to our waiting room and freaked out accordingly until our 2NE1 sunbaenims came in and greeted us with food, taking care of us as we monitored our performance. We all gathered on stage for the winner at the end of the show and it was 2NE1! We stayed on stage with them and they made us sing with them. Dara gave me a piggyback and ran around with me on her back for a bit and I laughed and picked up confetti and threw it up in the air. Once that was over we clapped for them and bowed for the fans.

"Everyone, especially Blackjacks, give lots of love to our hoobaes, POWER!" CL said and had us do a short greeting and we got a lot of cheers.

We had our first fan sign after we finished filming Inkigayo and there were SO people there. It made a lot of us nervous, me especially, having so many people have faith in you and looking forward to you doing well. We blew out the candles to our cake we received before thanking the fans to go back home to rest up for the next day.