Moment

Missing

There was never another single moment in my life that I felt so helpless and useless than right now.

 

All I could do was stand there.

 

All I could do was watch helplessly as you stumble and struggle. And my tears just keep falling.

The colors have all drained from your face… and it’s so painful to see you like that. Why is it I can’t do anything to help?! Why is it that you’re the one suffering?!

Our hands touch, through the glass and I just…

I just wish that… I could take your pain away.

 

The tears are falling.

 

They just keep falling.

 

Suddenly, your hand loosened its grip on the glass.

 

OPPA

 

No.

This can’t be happening.

 

OPPAAAAAAAA!

 

A loud terrifying shriek tore through my throat and escaped from my mouth, pushing pass all the tears and anguish.

It was the only sound that echoed in the hospital walls and it was the only sound I could remember for a really long time.

 

-

 

People are rushing in the room, running, and pushing pass me. In a blur of motion, so much is happening right now.

 

But I can’t seem to move.

A tear falls from the corner of my eye.

 

My heart… it hurts.

It hurts so, so much.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Everything is white.

 

[Beep]

 

Everything is white with lines running through.

 

[Bzz-]

 

Ah…

How long had I been staring at the ceiling…?

 

[Bezz]

 

[Jiyong-ssi.]

 

Oh my God.

 

-

 

[Jiyong-ssi, /bzz/ the implants have been switched /zz/ on, are you able to hear what I’m saying?]

 

-

 

OH MY GOD.

 

-

 

[Jiyong-ssi…?]

 

-

The long lost attachment of sound echo in my ears and all of a sudden, everything feels so surreal.

 

I can hear again.

I CAN HEAR AGAIN.

 

This foreign gripping feeling grasp onto me and I feel my heart racing madly.

In that very instant, my vision focuses and this sole thought snaps loudly in my head, consuming me with a shuddering force.

 

“I CAN HEAR AGAIN.”

These words escaped my mouth.

 

And I hear myself. I hear my very own voice echoing back to me. My own voice was telling me that all of this is real. My hearing… it’s back.

-

 

Suddenly, noises and sounds invade me – the sound of footsteps, the doctor flipping through pages, the beeping of the machines… everything. The sounds I never once bothered to listen to; the noises I deemed as annoying and irritating, they all came back.

And I hear them all… so precisely… so clearly.

My fingers tremble and my eyes are spilling with water.

 

It is so… overwhelming.

 

-

 

[Well, Jiyong-ssi /zz/ I’m glad to inform you that the operation has been a breakthrough success. Even though the implants may take some /zzz/ time to get used to, I’m sure that with a bit of getting used to, you’ll do fine.]

 

I just look at him dumbly.

It’s unbelievable. I’m actually hearing the words he is saying.

 

[Well, anyway, do take it easy from now on. /bzz/ Ah! And yes, you may also experience a lack in strength from the tranquilizing agent we used just now…]

 

Just now…?

 

[I guess it was the shock and anxiety induced from the complete lack of hearing when you first regained consciousness that created such a violent reaction…]

 

A violent reaction…?

Simultaneously, images contorted in my head. I remembered thrashing… and tears.

Chaerin… Chaerin was crying.

 

No wait…

 

[But fret not, that happened only because the implants /bbez/ were not switched on yet, so from now on there should be no more further complications…]

 

Where is Chaerin?

I scan across the room but my eyes only meet the cold mechanical devices and the white washed walls.

 

My heart froze.

 

Where is…Chaerin…?”

 

[//zz/ Ah yes… err. Chaerin-ssi is um, she went back to rest. She’ll be coming to visit you again later. So not to wor-]

 

“You’re lying.”

I knew Chaerin better than this. She would never, no, more like she could never bear to leave. She’s just that kind of person…

Always selflessly giving… waiting… putting others before herself.

 

But why… isn’t she here…?

 

 

Unless…

…did something happen to her?

 

 

I desperately prop myself up with all the strength I have left.

 

From across the room the doctor paces towards the bedside.

[Look Jiyong-ssi. You are under strict orders to stay in bed until your condition is stabilized. I forbid you to-]

 

“THEN tell me where is SHE.”

I stared at him fiercely and I feel the blood rushing to the corners of my face as my voice grew louder.

My hands tremble as they clutch onto the railing of the hospital bed.

 

Where the hell is she?!

 

[She’s…/bzz/ fine, okay? She’s just temporary unable to see you. So stop asking-]

 

The pent-up frustration and worry exploded within me and my weak hands grabbed onto the loose ends of his overcoat.

 

“WHERE IS SHE?!”

 

I’m yelling and my voice bounces off the walls of the enclosed room, echoing on endlessly.

I feel the sheer desperation and fear creeping up on me.

 

Why are you not here by my side?

 

A long moment of silence stretched across the room.

 

 

[…she fainted.]

 

 

What?

 

[She had a series of heart palpitations that resulted in a panic attack. She’s now being treated in another room. But she should be fine after…]

 

No.

 

My grip on him loosened and my arms fell down my sides. Chaerin… fainted?

No.

This can’t be right.

My heart throbbed painfully.

 

 

No, I can’t stay here.

I have to see her.

 

I tried to push myself off of the bed, but a strong hand grabbed ahold of me.

His grip locked me down firmly.

 

[As your doctor, I forbid /bzzz/ you to walk out of this door until your condition has been stabilized. And besides-]

 

“YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND!”

Angry tears threaten to fall from my eyes as I struggle in futile efforts.

 

 

“I NEED TO SEE HER.”

My voice is cracking and tears are starting to cloud.

 

 

Stupidly, I thrash around everywhere.

 

Why does it feel like I can’t see you again?

Why are these people stopping me?

 

 

Why?

 

I just want to see you again.

 

I just…

 

 

 

-

 

“LET ME GO!”

 

This voice.

 

This voice… I know this voice.

Like a moment frozen in time, this voice echoes in my head, bouncing off of the walls of my memories.

 

“Where is Jiyong-oppa?”

 

Chaerin…

 

“I have to see…my o-“

 

I turn towards the door, and it’s slightly ajar with your face peeking through from the side.

 

-

 

“Chaerin-ah”

My voice sounds meek from the tears in my heart.

 

-

 

“OPPA!”

 

-

 

I hold you in my arms and our sporadic heart beats combine together.

 

In this moment, I know that I never want to let go of you; I never want to forget any part of you. I want to remember you for all that you are. Your eyes, your touch, your hands around me, your warmth that I breathe… your voice.

In this moment, I found what I was missing all along.

 

-

 

“Chae-ah…I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

 

“Say it again.”

“I love you.”

 

“…you what?”

“Yah, stop it!”

 

“I don’t care. You have to make up for all those times I couldn’t hear.”

 

An angry little scowl appeared on your face before you all but yelled.

 

“I LOVE YOU KWON JIYONG YOU IDIOT!”

 

And this idiot couldn’t stop smiling for a really, really long time. 

 

 

/End

 

 

A/N: This series has finally come to an end, and I just really want to thank everyone who supported the series. <3 Thank you for subscribing, commenting and even choosing to read my story. (and some of you guys even gave me the honor of an upvote too! /bows) The progress of the story was really really thanks to you reading this. 

I hope that you have liked this series and the way it ended O_O! (Do leave me a comment about your thoughts! It's the last time too... >

You guys have been really kind and I have enjoyed writing this series thoroughly ^-^ (except for a couple chapters!) 

 

Ending this with a little Skydragon^ for you guys.

Love, Z(◕‿◕)