The Truth

Missing

 

Sometimes, I catch myself staring out at busy road traffic in a daze. In my mind, I would replay that scene on that winter afternoon, over and over again. It seemed that the more I remembered, the stronger those memories became. I could vividly feel the touch of snow and remember the flashing lights… and our tight embrace.

I could smell the scent in your hair and feel your firm grip.

Your grip on me spoke to me and told me you were still alive.  

 

And so was I.

 

I could also remember that sense of relief as those heavy words left my mouth, finally liberated. It may have seemed like a few simple words to say, but it gorged out every last bit of my courage to spit those words out to someone else.

 

“I can’t hear anything at all.”

 

Even until now, I wonder a lot about what you felt after hearing those words on that cold afternoon. Were you upset? Shocked? Or maybe you were angry?

Were you… disappointed in me?  

 

I don’t know.

 

Even until this day, these questions remain as little blank spaces, forever lost in time.

But what I do know is that on that winter afternoon, in my single, most vulnerable moment, you took my hand in yours and our hands clasped together so naturally.

 

I could not hear, but for us, words were not needed.

 

In that moment, I felt like everything would turn out fine. Even with the slimmest of odds and the world against me, I knew that you had my back. And really, that’s all that matters.

 

-

 

They say that the truth will set you free… but not before it’s finished with you.

Letting out the bottled up truth to one person was tough enough, but that was only a start. And it wasn’t going to get any easier.

 

-

 

So… how long has this been going on?

I don’t know. Weeks… months, maybe.

The essence of time seemed to be completely lost on me. Each day would come and go, and I’d function like a lifeless being, mechanically robotic. In my head, I was beginning to forget what it was like before. What it was like, being able to hear.

Even now, I could distinctively imagine the way you would say those words… but in actuality… there simply was no sound.

 

And you never told anyone?

An incredulous expression overcame your features.

…Yeah.

A mocking, sarcastic breath of laughter escaped your lips, but I could see the angry disappointment behind your eyes as you stared on at me.

 

I can’t believe you, Kwon Jiyong.

How could you have not told anyone?! Didn’t you think that we’d CARE?!

 

Silent angry words burst open from your mouth, and I remembered feeling a heavy weight on my chest as I saw the hurt in your eyes.

 

And you kept this from us for… MONTHS!?

 

Those soundless words struck me brutally, with truth and realization. All those times, I had been pushing you away… but I never thought about how much it would have hurt you. All I wanted was for you to stop hurting.

But in the end… I was the one who caused the pain and hurt, wasn’t it?

 

The air between us was still and dead.

The park had long lost its usual shine and warmth.

 

You had stopped talking.

 

I glanced at you from the corner of my eye and you were staring on in front, with a blank, empty look in your eyes. Puffs of white smoke escaped from your mouth with every breath you took. I knew it then, you were angry and mad, hurt and sad.

But still, you chose to care. (And I can never thank you enough for that)

 

Slowly, I pressed my hand over yours. You flinched a little and turned to look at me.

 

Sorry Chaerin-ah. Sorry for everything.

 

Your kind eyes blinked and you looked away.

Using both my gloved hands, I gently placed my hands on the sides of your face and shifted your gaze back on to me.

Yah, you have to look at me when you talk, remember? Those words came out with a tad of cheekiness, and I smiled a little.

You softly smacked my hands away and your bottom lip curved upwards into a little pout.

Hmpf. I’m still mad at you, you know…

I know.

You. Are. Such. An. . You said those words in my face, over exaggerating and emphasizing every single syllable, finally ending with your tongue stuck out at me.

And I could only smile stupidly back at you.

I know, Chaerin-ah. I know.

-

 

And so, like that, the truth was finally out.

 

-

 

A/N: Short little fluff :) The story is ending soon :))