ahop

Third time's the charm // Sundae

"Who is that?" Shindae heard her younger cousin ask.

 

She was so immersed in her moment of anger and shock, that everything else was completely disregarded, including Hyejoon's presence. Shindae hadn't responded immediately. Her eyes scanned the picture over and over again, gliding over the boy's frame and taking in his appearance. The wavy hair suited him so well and gave him a different air than his usual straight hair. Shindae also noticed the load of accessory he wore, all of them shining brightly. Shindae found herself comparing the light reflecting accessories to his facial expression. It was the first time she noticed how well a smile suited him, but when reminded of her association and the kind of relation with him, she let out a low and almost inaudible hiss.

 

"Min Yoongi, my arch nemesis." She responded, almost spitting out his name.

"Nemesis?" Hyejoon questioned, arching an eyebrow in interest.

 

Her eyes scanned the picture, taking in the boy's appearance. What did he do to attract her cousin's attention this much. It was rare for Shindae to care for anyone, to carry positive or negative feelings for anyone. Shindae was the kind of person to not acknowledge those who didn't mean anything to her. To gain her attention, you would have had to cross her path in a way she wouldn't be able to forget. Positive was way harder than negative, since negative had a bigger impact on her. Shindae eyed her cousin, who beamed at her with curiosity on one hand and mischief on the other.

 

"Yes. You won't meet him, don't you worry." Shindae assured Hyejoon.

 

The girl's expression fell immediately and that's where the topic was ended. They watched a movie that day and went to bed not earlier than midnight. It was the usual routine for when the girls were together. The next morning both Hyejoon and Shindae left for school. Hyejoon went to her middle school, she was in her third year and would most likely go to her high school after Shindae's graduation. More than usual, the third year was reluctant to go to school She would rather return home and enclose herself into the safety of her blankets and laptop. She was in no mood to take picture either. Just as she past the school gates, Shindae was greeted by a cheerful voice. She recognised it immediately as Yuni.

 

"Unnie, good morning!"

"Yeah. Morning." Shindae  greeted back with a quickly faltering smile. 

"Shindae unnie, whatever you might hear today... Don't burst."

"What are you ta-" Shindae was interupted by Yuni's quick escape.

"Later~!"

 

Shindae was watching her friend run away in confusion. She had no idea what she meant. After pondering a good minute, the girl shrugged and simply continued walking. More than usual people seemed to watch her and whisper behind her back. And for some reason, Shindae took note of it and grew more sensitive with every second passing. She forced herself to ignore it and walked to class, cursing herself for being on time for a change. Even her teacher seemed to notice, the usually empty seat at the beginning of the class, being occupied by the student that was late almost every single day. And like usual, Shindae skipped her classes after attendance, to do what she loved most in her usual spot.

 

Time passed quickly from then on and in what felt like less than an hour, the lunchbell rang. Like every day, Shindae unpacked her food and took the first bite of the first sandwich. There was no peace for her today, it seemed. A pair of voices disturbed her peace by calling her name and extracting a groan from the brunette. What the hell was with people approaching her today? Either something was going on, or her popularity was increasing rapidly. Both were the opposite of beneficial and would disturb the little peace and quiet in her school life. Something she could absolutely not afford.

 

"Shindae unnie!" She heard the voices call out simultaniously.

 

Within seconds two people took the seats on either sides of her. Both with the same appearance, although one had curled hair and the other straight. There was a height difference as well, she knew, but that could be hardly seen when they were seated. The twins were the energetic kind, that tired Shindae. It was the reason she'd rather see them only once a week and no more. There was no way she had that much energy. Especially not with the arrival of her so-called, arch nemesis. He was probably more problematic than the twins combined.

 

"Eating lunch?" Shindae heard the girl with the straight hair ask.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Shindae responded flatly.

"Eating lunch." The girl on her left, with the curled locks confirmed.

"There is a reason why I call you two dumb, Chaima." Shindae informed her and glanced to her right. "Especially you, Saenan."

She saw the girl narrow her eyes and stick her lower lip out lightly, almost in a pout. A pout ineffective to her.

 

"Enough about that!" Chaima exclaimed. "You have no idea what everyone is talking about."

Shindae eyed the girl. arching an eyebrow in disinterest. "Do I even want to know?"

"Well..." her sister Saenan spoke. "It's about you."

And now she was interested. "Someone saw you walking into the guys' dressing room and walk out of it moments later!"

Shindae's eyes widened and eyed Saenan to her right. Someone saw her?!

"Furthermore, ... Minutes after you left, Suga walked out." Chaima continued.

"Was it really you, unnie?" Saenan asked, clearly shocked at this rumour, especially after Shindae's reaction.

 

A silence fell, with Shindae not speaking a word for several moments. She just gazed at the grass in front of her as she mindlessly ate the remainder of her bread. 

 

"Yes." Shindae mumbled after almost ten minutes. "That was me."

She heard the twins gasp and rolled her eyes.

"The girls in my PE team threw my back into their changing room. I have no idea why, but it was in Min Yoongi's locker. So I retrieved it to change."

 

The explanation seemed to make some sense to the girls. And never had Shindae been this relieved to hear the bell. She stuffed her other sandwich in in one go and shot up. Grabbing her bag and her camera, the girl walked off leaving the twins behind. She heard their giggles and laughter and could imagine how stupidly they must be exchanging surprised expressions. Rolling her eyes at her friends once again, she headed for class. The twins were used to this behaviour, but wondered how Yoongi, a friend and year mate of theirs, could have crossed paths with Song Shindae.

 

After waking up the next morning, Shindae was relieved not to hear her alarm clock. No alarm meant, no school. It was Saturday. There was no need to meet anyone or do anything. She could just lie in bed all day. Her wish however, was quickly broken by the ringing of her phone. She picked up after four rings and spotting the name Hyejoon on her phone screen. Bringing the phone to her ear she half mumbled and half groaned a greeting and her cousin's name. Hyejoon swore that she also heard a curse word and arched an eyebrow.

 

"Good morning to you to." She started first.

"Uhu," Shindae hummed in response.

"Song Shindae! You, me, mall. one hour."

 

Shindae rubbed her eyes and opened them in annoyance at her cousin.

"With all due respect, your majesty, you think I will comply with this order because...?"

"You owe me a favour, Shindae unnie." Hyejoon clarified. "And if you don't, I'll just go eat chicken by myself and you have to be alone at home miserably, while aunty is at my place having a girl's day. And I know uncle will have dinner outside."

Shindae sighed, knowing where this was going.

"Do you want to cook for yourself, unnie? Or just take it easy and eat with me, at the mall. Also the new album got released." Hyejoon tried again to convince her.

 

The conversation continued for another half hour and it took Hyejoon a lot of begging to finally convince Shindae to pass the day with her. But it had worked and she was standing in front of her cousin at the ice cream parlour, both with a cone in their hands. Shindae as well seemed to enjoy herself and they had both acquired the album they had talked about on the phone. It wasn't as bad as Shindae had thought it would be, but that was only a matter of time. Because as we all know, Lady Luck loved to laugh in Shindae's face and in her cousin's as well apparently. From the corner of her eye, Hyejoon saw a car stop, with windows rolled down. Her head turned unconsciously and she immediately regretted it. Shindae regretted leaving her house at all. 

 

"Oh, Sunbae!" the familiar figure blurted out, flashing his usual smile at the girl.

Shindae didn't bother to return a greeting, but her eyes moved from Yoongi to the blonde boy beside him. He looked a little younger, probably her cousin's age. She was even surprised at how right she was, when she heard the boy's voice speak.

"Well if it isn't Kim Hyejoon."

 

Shindae turned her head to eye her cousin, she was gazing back unimpressed as she continued consuming her ice cream. Shindae, however, immediately saw through her facade. She was faking it.

 

"Kim Taehyung, the pleasure is yours, solely." Hyejoon returned the greeting in a rather odd manner.

 

Both boys stepped out and walked passed the girls. Yoongi sent a smirk Shindae's way, who pretended she didn't even notice, while Taehyung did the same. The blond however, whispered a few words that confused both cousins.

 

"You looked cute, Hyejoon-ah. I almost fell for you."

 

Both boys walked through the glass doors, joining the queue to place their orders and leaving the cousins to gaze at each other. Upon realising what Taehyung was talking about, Shindae's expression blanked.