Yeodeol

Third time's the charm // Sundae

Shindae is usually one to take her time changing and especially getting home after an exhausting day. Especially when she had actively participated in PE, the reason still unknown to her. This time around however, it took her a matter of minutes to change into her uniform, gather her belongings and headed to the bus in the speed of light. Even the busdriver seemed surprised at seeing an unlikely person running. During these three years, Shindae had gotten to know the drivers on this line and every one of them knew how much she hated running. Especially to a bus. So the unfamiliar scene of the girl panting inside the driving bus, was quite attention attracting. Shindae ignored the stares of the man and walked through the vehicle in search of a seat. Once she found one, she took it and plugged her earphones in to seclude herself from the world.

 

Once the bus finally halted at her stop, Shindae ran out almost as eager as she ran in. Only after slamming the door to her house behind her, she was convinced of her safety. Her mother walked through the door of the kitchen, eying her daughter with a suspicious glare. Shindae avoided meeting her mother's eyes and headed straight to the second floor after muttering a greeting. She heard her mother's voice yell something, but the words remained hazy in the back of her mind. Rushing through her door, Shindae dropped herself on the bed and took a deep breath. In her position, face down sprawled over her comfortable bed, Shindae shrugged off her bag and dropped it to the floor. She made sure to hold the strap long enough for it to land softly, taking note of her camera inside.

 

"SHINDAE-AH!" she heard a shout from behind her.

The familiar voice extracted a groan, but the girl remained unmoved. "That's unnie, to you, rude brat."

"Right," the female voice spoke after a snort. "Thanks for the greeting."

 

Sarcasm seemed to be genetic in her family line, since there was no relative that didn't posses the trait. Shindae let out a complaining grunt and hoised herself up in a sitting position. She turned away from her window, to her room to face the familiar girl in her room. She smiled widely at the elder and Shindae swore that she could see a tail wagging. There was no doubt that the dark haired girl in front of her, was the closest to a sister Shindae could ever get. Since childhood, the two cousins had always been together. In times of fun, grief and mischief. The twinkling eyes anticipated a day of fun. Shindae knew that she would have to confine her cousin either to a chair or a bed, since she had no energy to do anything at all.

 

"Hyejoon-ah..." she started, grabbing the girl's attention successfully. "Change into something comfy and get under the covers with me."

 

The chocolate brown eyes of Hyejoon stared for a moment as her lips rounded. After thinking for several seconds, she nodded and rummaged through Shindae's closet in search of a pyjama pants. Changing took her only a few seconds and Shindae as well changed out of her uniform into her pyjamas'. Once the two were settled under the blankets with a pillow between them and the wall and a bag of chips in between them, the two started a small chatter. It was mainly Hyejoon who talked. Shindae knew the story about her friends at school. She had a complicated friendship with a boy called Taehyung and was particularly close with their mutual friend, Jimin. Hyejoon started listing her complaints about this Taehyung, mainly about his spontaneous, mischievous and weird behaviour towards her.

 

"He also has his cute moments though! The way he nibbles on his pencil during class is so innocent. But once he converses with me, he turns into some weird alien."

 

Her cousin's words were a murmur in the background. Although Shindae could hear what she said, there was no need to pay full attention to the girl's rambles. She had learned how to filter the girl's words and only take in what she had to know. Shindae was already aware that Hyejoon felt more for this boy than just a simple friendship. Would she tell her cute, innocent cousin though? Probably not. Hyejoon would have to figure out her feelings on her own, allowing them to develop in the process. All Shindae could do, was to take note of this progress, until her baby cousin needed advice and guidance in the field of love. She would gladly assist her. 

 

The word love crossing her mind, was soon followed by the image of a familiar face with dripping hair and his coy smirk. It startled the girl and she shook her head violently in an attempt to shake the thoughts off once again. Once she successfully erased the image from her mind and replaced it with one of him in pain on the ground, Shindae nodded contentedly. Her queer behaviour was noticed by her cousin, who puckered her lips as she stared at Shindae. Turning her head a little, she was met with her cousin's questioning gaze. Shindae sighed, knowing that Hyejoon would be asking questions on a matter of seconds. And so, she braced herself for them.

 

"What's up?"

See.

"Nothing, much." Shindae responded with a soft shrug.

"Don't lie," Hyejoon demanded and even without looking at her, Shindae knew her cousin smiled.

"Okay fine." She gave in, knowing that Hyejoon would be able to get it out of her in some way. Giving in only spared her the energy. "Wait"

 

Suddenly. a realisation hit Shindae. She dove forward, knocking the bag of chips over. Its fall was intercepted by Hyejoon, who also managed not to spill any contents. Shindae grabbed her school bag and rummaged through it hastily. She took her belongings out one by one, spreading them on the bed around her. A pile was also left on her cousin's lap. The last thing she took out was her camera. Shindae scrolled through her pictures, wondering if any were deleted or maybe worse ... added. She released a puff of air in relief, when she discovered no changes. There was one more item left in her bag. Second on the list of her most precious belongings, her wallet.

 

She zipped it open and first took a good look at the amount of money in it. Nothing was missing, luckily. She browsed through the other items in her wallet, her cards, bubble tea stamp card, her photo's. Her movements stopped and her eyes were locked on the little pictures inside the pocket of her wallet. Shindae's fingers slipped in and took out the small pile. She left her wallet on her lap and flipped through the small polaroids and printed pictures . One was missing. Her favourite photo was missing. Her eyes narrowed and she let out a huff in anger. He had taken something from her. He stole her favourite picture. A Polaroid on the beach taken with Hyejoon. The sun had reflected beautifully in the lens and the scenery was in a harmonised play around them. Shindae loved that picture.

 

She searched through every pocket and every corner of her wallet once again, to find that missing photo. There was a chance that she had put it in a different pocket. There was a chance that it wasn't stolen. Instead of finding what she was looking for however, Shindae came across a completely new item in her wallet. One that was unfamiliar, but the image on it was very familiar. Shindae's eyes widened as she slipped the rectangle flat material from between her cards. She was holding the small photo by its corner in between her thumb and index finger. The familiar cheeky smile, bearing his teeth and coy, crinkled eyes glaring at her and piercing right through her. His hair was wavy and he wore a black and whit bandana, through his brown locks.

 

"That little bastard." Shindae cursed out loud.