ilgop

Third time's the charm // Sundae

Being faced by the boy, who showed off his cheeky smile like a trophy, triggered something within Shindae. An uncomfortable bubble in the pit of her stomach, telling her to look away. Unfortunately looking away, was the last thing she could do. Her eyes were locked on Yoongi's features, while his eyes scanned her, with an expression she recognised as pure mischief and a hint of taunting. He was visibly making fun of her and once the girl realised, she scowled. She took her eyes off the younger and focussed on her PE teacher who had started talking for several minutes. The man was once again attempting to intimidate her and her classmates by carrying that bamboo stick on his shoulders once again.

 

Usually Shindae would rather look at a pile of dog waste, instead facing this sorry excuse for a human, that called himself a teacher, but today she had to fake the interest, she usually lacked, in order to distract herself. Of course she didn't want to give that first year any weird ideas either. Her conversation with Baeri was still freshly burned into her mind. The girl's words had bothered her. Did Yoongi think she liked him? Was that why his friend spoke to her? If that boy had any weird thoughts ideas about them, about her, it wouldn't be none of her business. Simply because she didn't want anything other to do with the boy than make him suffer. Although she had to admit, that his smile was quite endearing.

 

The girl shook her head violently, in an attempt to literally shake the poisonous thoughts from her mind. There was no way she had admitted to that. And before she realised what was going on, Shindae heard her name being called several times. She perceived a tone of impatience in the familiar voice, she had come to loathe. She scowled as she turned to face her teacher. He wasn't impressed by her foul facial expression, nor the daggers he shot at her with a simple stare. He had gotten used to it and Shindae had gotten used to being picked last for the teams. And she couldn't care less. Actually she could. She cared less for sports. The whole existence of this ridiculous subject called physical education, was a complete waste of money, time, space, energy and effort in her opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

The classes were, as usual, split in male and female groups. Those groups were split in two as well. Groups that would be competing as usual. The teacher explained the basic rules to basketball and dodge ball. During the latter activity, they would be joined by the freshman classes as well. Furthermore, the boys and girls would be mixed again to make teams. Shindae groaned audibly, upon receiving the basketball first. Scanning the field, she passed the ball as quickly as she could, without any care for where it would end up. Luckily for her team, one of her teammates caught it and managed to cross the field. During the whole match, everyone was actively participating in hopes of a good grade. Although some were more skilled than others. There was only one girl that had caught Yoongi's eyes. The girl that was examining the ends of her hair carelessly in the middle of the field. He cracked a grin at her figure before returning to his football game. 

 

The first round of activities ended with Shindae's groaning teammates in complaint and defeat. She rolled her eyes at the obvious blames that were thrown her way. She even heard her year mates talking not-so-secretly behind her back. And she would have cared, if she had found any for this particular situation. When she couldn't find any within a second, she didn't bother searching any further. There was no reason she would pay heed to any of the things said by the strangers she only knew as classmates. After this year, she would never see them again anyway. From the corner of her eye, Shindae took note of the giddily cheering Yoongi, who had won his match, she guessed. Not far from him was his friend Namjoon, who was with her friend, Yuni, while talking, smiling and even laughing with each other.

 

The second round started with the creation of the new teams. To her surprise, Shindae was faced with a grinning Yoongi on the other side of the midline. He would be her opponent and the look in his eyes told her that he would probably try to win. And those crinkled eyes of his somehow made the uncomfortable bubble in her stomach pop. She discovered a newfound determination to wipe that grin off his face. He was mocking her, she knew he was. And she would take this chance to embarrass him in front of his class. Shindae never cared for sports, but she did hate losing to someone she was so determined to win from. And this wasn't about the winning alone, it was about the principle of facing this cheeky boy, who right now was smiling in the face of unaware danger.

 

The blowing of the whistle, indicated the start of a game. A game Shindae would regret getting into. The times she received or caught the ball, were the ones she would solely focus on Yoongi and try to hit him and get him off the field. He, however, jumped around like a winged rabbit, perfectly dodging her incoming attacks. For the first time in years, she rediscovered the frustrations of this game. And for the first time since meeting him, she noticed a trait about Yoongi she hadn't been aware of. He was pretty good at sports. Good enough to be encouraged and cheered on by class- and teammates. The round ended with Shindae being hit before Yoongi was out of the game. She saw him head to the bench, whiping away several drops that ran down his jawline and cheekbones. And even when her team won, she was left bitter and sore. Why did she even participate in this ridiculous game till the end? She was tired and sweaty, both things she hated.

 

With a bitter aftertaste bothering her tongue, she headed for the changing rooms as soon as the halls were cleared. Shindae headed straight for her locker and found herself to be the last one to arrive. The girls had already showered and changed, some had even already left. After opening her locker, Shindae arched a surprised eyebrow at her discovery. Her belongings were gone. She glanced back at the benches and into the direction of the showers, witnessing several figures deliberately avoiding eye contact and turning away. Shindae recognised some as her team mates and scoffed. Surely soon to be graduates were childish enough to pull this level of pranks. A loud slam resonated through the changing room. Shindae's hand slid down the metal of her closed locker's door.

 

"Where is my bag?" She asked, the threat in her voice evident.

She watched the girls flinch and could see that none of them had the intention to tell. So Shindae kicked the bench that was only occupied by the girl closest to her.

"I won't repeat the question." She hissed in a menacing whisper.

"The boy's room! They..." She paused after meeting Shindae's eyes to correct herself. "We... threw it in before they got there."

 

The victim of the prank cursed out loud, smirking in satisfaction after seeing the girls flinch. There was no way they would be shown any mercy. She would get them soon. Her priority however, was to retrieve her bag. Her camera and wallet were inside. Both items were a vital necessity. Still in her PE uniform, Shindae stood outside the boys' changing room, waiting a good three minutes for anyone to go in or come out. When there wasn't anyone in sight, she crept closer to the door, pasting her ear on the smooth surface to listen. She couldn't hear any voices, nor any other sounds coming from inside. She wasn't convinced completely though. The girl opened the door to a creak to peek in side. And when she didn't discover anyone, the door was pushed open further, granting her entrance to the cliched forbidden area. Right now, the only thing on her mind was to find her belongings and leave. 

 

And we all know that both Lady Luck and fate love messing with our wonderful protagonist. Just when she had discovered her bags in someone's locker, she also found out that, that person hadn't taken his things out. In fact, he was probably still in the changing rooms or in the gym. Her suspicion was confirmed once she heard shuffling footsteps behind her. Shindae froze in place for a few seconds, listening intently to the steps. She turned around rapidly once she heard that they were really close behind her. This action was soon regretted as she was faced by the last person she wanted to she at that moment. His forehead was creased in surprise as his lips puckered lightly. Shindae's eyes travelled up the figure's body, discovering that he wore nothing but a towel around his waste, until she reached his eyes, which were rounded in surprise.

 

"Sunbae?" She heard his voice speak.

 

The third year felt herself flinching and the taunting spark that tingled in Yoongi's eyes at that moment, showed that he had seen it. Yoongi approached her as Shindae refrained herself from stepping back. She was in the worst possible situation right then and there was no way out. This boy, Min Yoongi, had seen her in the boys' changing room. Furthermore, he had seen her flinch and the expression she wore upon discovering his lack of... clothing, wasn't the prettiest either. All in all, he had seen to much. Ironically, she had as well. Her eyes scanned the boy in the prime of his puberty. The boyish Yoongi she had been faced with so often seemed far away, when she stared at him like this.

 

Soon enough, he was close enough to be only inches away from her. Acting according to her pure instincts, Shindae stepped back, feeling the pressure of the metal wall, that were the lockers, on her back. Yoongi took a few more steps forward, towering over her as he stared down at the girl. Shindae couldn't help but look up. His wet locks were sticking to his face. A drop of water trailed down the young man's jawline, reminding her of the dodge ball game. Unconsciously Shindae swallowed a forming pile of saliva. This didn't go unnoticed by Yoongi and he smirked. His hand was placed against the metal door to Shindae's left at the height of her head. She was forced to look into his eyes, as the space between them grew narrower by second. He stopped when she could feel his breath caressing her skin. Despite how warm it was, Shindae felt a cold trail run down her spine.

 

"Sunbae, I hope..." He started his whisper in a hoarse voice. "... you realise that this is the men's changing room. So..." he paused again to crack a small mischievous, mocking smile. "... I will have to ask you to leave, after doing whatever you came here for. I'd like to put on some clothes."

 

With those words Yoongi backed away. Shindae cursed loudly, almost in a shout, at him before grabbing her belongings and making her way out of the space in what seemed the speed of light.