Seumul

Third time's the charm // Sundae

Several scenarios had run through Shindae’s mind. Scenarios in which she either punched him or kicked him to the ground again. Scenarios in which she turned that somewhat cute, red nose so purple that he would probably have to get it fixed at the hospital. The brunette had arched an eyebrow in response to the picture she had never given consent for. An illegal picture for that matter.

 

“Delete it.” Shindae demanded.

 

Yoongi seemed quite surprised at the statement, pretense according to the girl.

 

“Delete what?” He asked, tilting his eyebrows in ‘genuine’ confusion.

 

“That picture you took,” the elder spoke with a nod of her head towards the camera.

 

“Why? It’s the last group of pigeons I’ll probably see leaving to the south.” Yoongi noted with his eyes glued to the display of his Canon.

 

“You’re ridiculous,” Shindae scoffed, not believing a word of what he had said.

 

This time Yoongi looked up and scratched the back of his head, over the beanie he wore. “Well that’s a bit rude, Sunbae. I don’t even know what you’re talking about.”

 

“You’re just covering up ,” Shindae started in an agitated manner, “when you just…”

 

As she walked close to the boy in a threatening manner, she was able to take a peek at the camera’s display. Her eyes narrowed as she turned the camera in Yoongi’s hands towards herself and stared at the display for a good while. She even tapped forward and back to search for any evidence of her face among the pictures he had taken. But she couldn’t find any. Instead, she found only a streak of her hair and a part of her beanie in the lower right corner.

 

“You were saying?” Yoongi asked, donning his smug smirk once again.

 

Shindae retreated, almost releasing a growl as she did, and took distance again from this aggravating creature. He had her and both of them knew it. Shindae punched herself in mind, for allowing him to be able to make fun of her like this. She did almost everything she could to suppress the blood that dared to creep up to her cheeks. When she knew it would fail. The girl let her hair fall forward with a tilt of her head, in an attempt to hide them.

 

Judging from Yoongi’s unchanging expression, she believed she succeeded to her relief. As Yoongi packed his camera into its pouch, Shindae peeked over her shoulder, towards the bike stands, where the twins were watching from. They did such a poor job at hiding that even Shindae felt embarrassed for them. The girl let out a sigh and turned back to confront Yoongi and end this once and for all.


 

“Shindae Sunbae-” “Min Yoongi.” The two spoke at the same time extracting a mental sigh from Shindae.

 

“I’ll go first, because it’s shorter.” Yoongi spoke without a hint of hesitation, his eyes silently expectant of the girl’s reaction.

 

“You wish, reindeer.” Shindae returned and held up her hand, palm facing the boy, in a motion to halt.

 

“I need clarification.” She spoke.

 

Yoongi’s smile fell and was replaced with his neutral one.

 

“What is your business with me and why do you keep bothering me?”

 

The question had thrown Yoongi quite off guard at first. Slowly a small smile crept back to his face as he stared silently at the brunette. Because the silence was pretty awkward and Yoongi’s intense stare wasn’t helping her at all, Shindae started to think of retreating. This was ridiculous. Was this guy bipolar? Maybe even tripolar, wait did that exist?

 

“Actually Sunbae. It’s not only me seeking you out.” He spoke with a held up finger to make a point. “You have sought me out too.”

 

Shindae folded her arms in front of her, wondering what the hell this boy was talking about. All she recalled was being bothered by him over and over again. And seeing him everywhere. He started to become like a leech she couldn’t get rid of. So what was he accusing her for? Especially when she never…

 

“Remember my classroom? There were other times too.” Yoongi interrupted her thoughts.

 

Shindae started at him and arched an eyebrow.

 

“If you want answers Sunbae,” the boy continued, “Here.”

 

He had fished an envelope from his uniform’s blazer and handed it to Shindae. The girl stared for a while at her name written in big letters underneath the word ‘Invitation’. She didn’t even get to ask what it was or why she received one as the boy started to walk away. Shindae gazed at his back, laying her eyes on his shoulder and the cute way his back was arched, obviously because he was cold, as he walked away.

 

“Be sure to come!” He called back to her. “If you want your answers that is.”

 

Once back home Shindae gazed at a pair of familiar shoes at her doorstep. There was a visitor she didn’t expect for quite a while. Not that she minded, but the last time Hyejoon left just like that, Shindae hadn’t expected a return so soon. She peeled off her coat and hung it, before grabbing her bag and making her way into the kitchen. There she dumped her bag and almost literally jumped out of her skin by hearing a familiar voice.

 

“Song Shindae!”

 

After an attempt to calm her heart, Shindae turned around with a vicious glare to her cousin.

 

“Are you trying to get me killed?” She asked, supporting herself with the chair at the dinner table.

 

Hyejoon who sat across shrugged and displayed an amused smile. “Maybe after you get the photo back.”

 

Shindae sighed and pulled the fridge’s door to grab a pack of milk. She drew two mugs from the cupboard with her right hand and turned around to place them on the table, with a loud satisfying smack, telling her cousin to shut her trap. After taking a seat and earning the desired silence, Shindae poured some milk for both.

 

“So, what’s up with you? I didn’t think you’d want to see me now.” Shindae asked after taking a sip.

 

Hyejoon shrugged again. “My mum was convinced I shouldn’t stay at home by myself, while she and Aunty are shopping. So she dropped me off here 5 minutes ago and I was about to entertain myself but you came home…. so…”

 

“I get it.” Shindae cut her short.

 

“So how was school?” Hyejoon asked, changing the topic.

 

This time Shindae shrugged and took another sip from her milk. “It was okay.”

 

“Nothing special happened?” her cousin continued to inquire.

 

Shindae was about to shake her head, but was reminded of the envelope Yoongi had given her. She pulled it out of her pocket, wondering what she was invited to. She didn’t take the time to look at it before, but since her photo and answers were on the line and most importantly her peace too, she had grown more curious on the way home. Placing the mug down, Shindae opened the envelope and pulled out a coloured card.

 

“A birthday party?” Shindae wondered out loud.

 

“Whose? I thought your birthday was in August.” Hyejoon responded and sipped her milk again.

 

“Not mine, dumb girl,” the elder retorted.

 

“Wait…. is it Yoongi’s?”

 

Shindae nodded.

 

“Are you going?” Hyejoon asked carefully, while staring at the elder.

 

This time Shindae heaved her shoulders. “Probably not. Maybe…. I don’t know?”

 

“Go.”

 

Narrowing her eyes, Shindae lifted her eyes to lock them on her cousin’s face, in a frown. “What?”

 

“It’s your chance to get the photo back.” Hyejoon explained. “Or do you have another reason for hesitating. I assumed that if not for the picture, you would never go.”

 

Shindae knew that Hyejoon was somewhat right. She wanted to tell her cousin about the weird assumptions the Song twins had made, but didn’t want to give the girl weird ideas. Because if Hyejoon knew about some of her thoughts, she would not let this rest. And although Shindae liked her persistent and stubborn side, she also hated it at times. Especially times like these.

 

“You’re right. But wasting money on a present just for that picture?” Shindae hesitated.

 

“JUST a picture?” Hyejoon almost shrieked out. “You’re kidding right? Wasn’t that picture supposed to be your treasure?”

 

“Calm down, jesus.” Shindae demanded.

 

“You are going, Song Shindae. Get that picture back. And that’s the end of it.” And with that, Hyejoon darted up to take place on the couch and the remote in her hand zapping through channels.