Seumulset

Third time's the charm // Sundae

There was a vast difference in expressions as the two stared at each other. Shindae’s creased forehead and sharp eyes were met with a smooth lazy grin and laid back stare from Yoongi. She immediately regretted the moment of silence that had fallen. To him it probably looked like she admitted her loss. But Song Shindae is not a loser, nor someone who gives up. On the contrary, Song Shindae would show this boy, that sweet talking wouldn’t get her derailed that easily.

 

“Of course it does. It’s my hair, after all.” was her comeback.

 

She had at least expected a scoff, but instead was stared at by sincerely amused eyes. She couldn’t find an undertone whatsoever. Shindae didn’t like it one bit. It made her feel awkward and out of place. This boy was much easier to talk to when he was being arrogant and full of himself openly, not like this… Whatever he was supposed to be right now. And so, instead of granting him with a chance of saying anything, she spoke first.

 

“What do you want?”

 

At that Yoongi blinked once and thoughtfully rubbed the back of his neck. “I don’t know.”

 

Shindae was literally dumbfounded at that moment. “You called me here, after inviting me and you don’t know? Is this a joke?”

 

And for some reason the lack of malice and anger in her voice made it seem like Shindae was only genuinely interested in his answer. No impatience, no expectations. She had given up on trying to find answers by herself and had decided to find out from the source himself. If he were ever to speak up about it. Yoongi had noticed it and that’s exactly where he wanted her.

 

“You were the one who wanted answers. Right Sunbae?” Well he wasn’t wrong but… “I called you here, because the twins were in sight and they would make some sort of stupid comment about your presence.”

 

“And you care because…?”

 

“They’re getting annoying lately.” She could have peace with that answer.

 

“Probably because they want to be set free from your tyranny.” she voiced her thoughts.

 

“Like yours with Zico and Kyung?”

 

Shindae met his eyes, noticing they had narrowed and a fierce glint in them. Something she couldn’t identify immediately. “They’re relatives.”

 

“Right.” To her surprise Shindae didn’t see any change of expressions. “So, what do you want to know?”

 

 

“What do you want?” Shindae asked without any hesitation.

 

 

Yoongi arched an eyebrow as he took a seat on a barstool at the counter. “Well, right now a nap would be great, actually. Why?”

 

“Don’t play smart with me, kid. Give me back my polaroid.” Shindae demanded, this time with a hint of anger in her voice. She was obviously done with his games.

 

“I could and I probably should. But… “ and he paused, without the intention of continuing as he anticipated the girl’s reaction.

 

“But what?”

 

Yoongi rose from the barstool, approaching Shindae who had no intention of retreating. He stepped closer, slowly and steadily. Shindae’s eyes were glooming at him as she was forced to tilt her head slightly upwards to face him, the closer he came. He paused two steps away from her for a short moment only, knowing that he was now entering danger zone, before carefully continuing his approach.

 

Shindae’s eyes didn’t waver, he would not scare her away nor intimidate her. She was determined to live this out to the end and if anything happened that was off-limits, she’d teach him a lesson. The now red haired boy raised his arm slowly, reaching out for what Shindae thought was her face. It never reached her skin, but instead she felt a light tug at her hair. A lock of her deep red hair twirled and glided around his fingers like a satin ribbon. The senior student didn’t slap his hand away for now, but instead waited.

 

“Since you called me a kid, I don’t want to.”

 

The words rolled over his tongue, caressing his lips before gently nudging her skin. She didn’t respond, needing time to connect his words with her previous questions and demands. When the thread extended stitching the conversation together, she scowled. This time it was her turn. She lifted her arm as well, raising it above her head and with a firm hold, poked Yoongi’s forehead, making sure to use enough pressure to create distance between them.

 

“Can’t handle the truth, Min Yoongi?” Shindae jabbed.

 

“Oh I can. The question is, can you?” she was asked in return.

 

“What kind of ridiculous question is that?”

 

The annoyance grew as he kept playing the games she had grown tired of. When was he going to allow her to hold a conversation without driving it into a complete knot? Yoongi’s never fading smirk gave her a vague answer, she wouldn’t acknowledge. Ever. Her eyes followed his movement as he whipped his phone out of his pocket. A few taps and and it went back where it came from.

 

And then his eyes landed back on her, with that everlasting smile. She wondered what he was playing at, but then remembered that wondering and thinking about it brought her nowhere. This boy’s mind worked different than any way she could think of. No matter how long she pondered, no matter how hard she tried, she could never figure out the maze that was his mind. The maze that played with her mind.

 

The door, the two had entered through earlier, opened and Shindae was far more than shocked. The younger boy with ash blonde hair entered, donning his leather jacket and skinny trousers, walked in followed closely by a brunette, Shindae knew all too well. Her long hair was straightened, she noticed and pulled up in a chic ponytail. The fabric of the chiffon bottom of her grey dress grazing by her tanned skin. Furthermore two of her fingers were entwined with Taehyung’s.

 

“Hyejoon?” Shindae heard herself call out in disbelief.

 

“Shindae.” Hyejoon responded with a courteous nod.