Yeolahop

Third time's the charm // Sundae

Holidays. Leisure time. Or just a day off. Oh how Song Shindae desired that little moment of euphoric relaxation. Ever since school had begun and ever since meeting with that disaster on legs, Min Yoongi, Shindae felt herself tire more and more as the days passed. The third year student was used to a leisure life with her very stable day routine. Only this year, due to a specific disturbance in her life, that stability had been thrown off balance. Shindae convinced herself that she hated it. This new twist in her life. She missed the times she'd lazily lie in the grass in between her picture snapping sessions, while skipping class. Now she always had to beware of the boy who seemed to adore interrupting her life.

 

A yawn escaped the girl's lips as she stretched out, bending her back, before falling back to the trunk of the loyal tree she could always return to. Pulling her beanie down, Shindae shivered slightly. The weather was getting cold and her fluffy sweater was doing a poor job at shielding her from the cold late spring breeze. Just a week ago she had been walking around in shorts. Shindae cursed the sudden drop in temperature. The girl tucked her camera back in the pouch to protect the device from the heat and stuffed her hands in her sleeves.

 

Shindae gazed at the path to the main building of the school and caught a lonely figure walking, puffed up in a warm coat. Even from that distance Shindae noticed the red nose poking out from the collar. The rest of the face was pale, forming an expression far from delight. The brunette scoffed as she watched the boy walk past the gym teacher that welcomed him happily. After bowing politely Yoongi continued to slump forward. Her eyes fell on her phone and with a tap of her finger on the home button, the screen lit up. 11.46 was the time. 14 minutes before lunch. Her mind drifted off and she instantly wondered why he had been so late. There was no reason she could come up with. The girl's eyebrows curled into a frown as she noticed that he was just in time for lunch. Of course he wouldn't back out from his torturous games.

 

Shindae started packing her belongings, knowing that the bell would ring any time. She wasn't planning on sitting out lunch, when she knew today's special were chicken wings. That did not happen a lot and when it did, Shindae had to make use of that opportunity of course. The brunette slung her bag over her shoulder and started walking towards the entrance. She headed straight to the cafeteria and as she heard the familiar sound chime, she had already grabbed a tray and was first in line. salivated at the sight of the crisp chicken wings. The steam was an indication to how recently they were fried and waiting for her. Shindae took a plate, holding it up to the lunch lady. With her sweetest smile she asked for a serving. The lady returned the smile along with her plate. Seeing only 3 chicken wings on her plate Shindae blinked and looked back at the lady with questioning eyes.

 

"Just 3?" She asked, a little hopeful while showcasing her best puppy eyes.

 

To her delight, the lady placed another piece on her plate, earning a grateful smile from the girl.

 

"Hurry up and eat it, so your friends won't see!" The lady hurried her with a small smile. 

 

With some soup, bread and a salad, Shindae walked towards a small table in the corner, far from where she knew Yoongi would sit with his group. Although shindae didn't mind the group much, although she had doubts about the twins, she did not want to come across that smug brat. Shaking off the thoughts, Shindae was convinced that instead of awakening a headache, she should enjoy the delicacy on her plate. Starting off with a cherry tomato she popped through her lips, the girl scanned her tray for her next victim. Her eyes landed on a slice of cucumber. Hesitantly she avoided the piece, she usually would have eaten immediately. 

 

 

"Is this seat taken?" Shindae heard two voices ask at the same time.

 

The girl sighed. "No, they're not taken."

 

"Then can we sit here?" The two asked again in chorus.

 

"Actually..."

 

"Great thanks!" The two squealed before planting themselves to the right of the brunette.

 

Shindae pinched the bridge of her nose.

 

"Saenan, Chaima, ... how do people even tolerate you?" Shindae asked.

 

Noticing the mock in the girl's tone Saenan slightly frowned.

 

"We get around." Chaima simply responded.

 

"Well then. I am glad you are able to." Shindae managed to utter.

 

 

Taking a bite of her salad, Shindae kept silent in order to maintain a certain degree of peace. The peace however, didn't last for long. As the taller twin had to interrupt.

 

"So, what's up with you and Yoongi?" Chaima asked, taking a bite of her sandwich right after.

 

"What are you on about?" Shindae responded with her question.

 

Chaima rolled her eyes at the indifference in the girl's voice.

 

"I mean, why are you two so all over each other without admitting it, like the silly brats you are?" Chaima clarified.

 

With a blank face and an arched eyebrow, Shindae stared at the girl in beside her. "You think I like him?" 

 

"Obviously." Chaima retorted. "Enough to send your lackeys after us."

 

"We could have gotten seriously hurt you know." Saenan chimed in.

 

The twins were baffles upon hearing a roaring laughter from the elder. Confused the two waited for some sort of explanation or clarification as they notices heads turn because of the loud noise. Shindae had started to wipe the tears of laughter that had rolled down her cheeks. Her laughter died just like it had begun, instantly.

 

 

"That's the best joke I have heard in ages." Shindae spoke with a slightly amused tone.

 

"Right, this isn't a sappy drama or romcom either." Chaima noted sarcastically.

 

"If you want clarification." The twins were once again startled because of the icy tone the girls voice had taken. "It is none of your business."

 

Chaima sighed and this time Saenan was the one to reply.

 

"Whatever business you have... talk it over with him. Ever since the lunch incident, he has been making our lives a living hell."

 

"And what does that have to do with me? If he bullies you go to a teach-"

 

"Let me put it this way. You go talk to him and I..." Saenan glanced at her sister before continuing "... We promise you a 15 time chicken special coupon at our parents' restaurant."

 

Shindae paused nibbling on her chicken wing to consider. The twins' restaurant was a place she had been to a few times. Even local papers and online resources had praised the small and cosy place for the service and quality. 15 times of free food sounded like music to her ears. But was it worth a confrontation with the brat? Well this could be the chance to make sure he backs off for... well... forever. Shindae nodded earning a weary look from the two. She glanced at them and let out an annoyed sigh.

 

"Fine I'll do it. Where's the coupon?" She asked.

 

"Oh no. First talk then reward." Chaima clarified.

 

"Fine. I was done eating anyway." The brunette gave in, before standing up and grabbing her belongings. 

 

After dumping the trays, Shindae was lead to the sports fields and beyond that was her spot and the loyal tree that always waited for her. The bark that supported her weight whenever she wanted to sit or even take a nap. There was only one disturbance in the scene. The figure that didn't belong there. The boy with the soft brown hair, standing with his red nose and brown winter coat. He stared into the tree while he stood directly under it. There was a camera between his face and whatever it was aimed at. With one eye pinched, he took a few snaps in full concentration. The boy noticed the sound of rustling grass and dropped his camera. Upon seeing Shindae, he smiled and the sparkle in his eyes captivated the brunette for only a second. Just a second. Before she knew it, the camera was aimed at her and he took a snap. This time while he looked at her, his usual proud smirk had returned. Only this time, he had a red nose.