Yeol

Third time's the charm // Sundae

Shindae glanced tentatively at the cue and the backsides of the two they had faced earlier, before returning her eyes back onto her cousin. Hyejoon stared at her, obviously conflicted. The words had completely thrown her off guard. What was Taehyung talking about? She looked cute where? Shindae knew that Hyejoon would start asking questions as soon as she had fit the pieces together. There was no way she would ignore the events of the day before. Although she desperately hoped she did, so that Shindae could shrug the questions off without giving a proper reply. Did she owe it to her cousin, probably. Did she want to reveal the  fact that her favourite picture was stolen? From her wallet at that? No.

 

"Shindae," Hyejoon started after a moment of silence.

A glance back at the queue let Shindae know that the boys were almost at the counter.

"Did that Min Yoongi perhaps take a picture? When he put his in your wallet?" She asked.

"How do you even..."

"Rumours reach far, my dear cousin. They reached my school too." Hyejoon explained.

 

Shindae stared at her cousin for a moment, completely flabbergasted at the speed that information spread.

"Well... I guess." Shindae confessed and watched Hyejoon's expression change into that of horror.

"What did he take?" She asked carefully.

"The Polaroid, with us."

 

At Shindae's words, Hyejoon's jaw dropped. Her grip on her ice cream cone loosened as well, almost dropping it. Once she felt it slide between her fingers, Hyejoon tightened her grip, successfully breaking the cone in her hands. She felt the cold and sticky liquid run down her hand as it dropped to the floor. Her horrified expression changed into that of shock and anger. She finally threw the ice cream to the floor, not caring about wasting food or money at the moment. She would have to regret that though. 

 

"The one on the beach?! Where I was..." Hyejoon's words caught in , not being able to finish the words as her cheeks flushed in embarrasment.

"Wearing a bikini. Yes..." Shindae confirmed her suspicion.

"And he saw that?!" she shouted.

Shindae nodded and Hyejoon threw her hands up in defeat. "You're unbelievable, Song Shindae!"

 

"Hyejoon-ah, ... you dropped your ice cream."

 

The voice shocked both, Hyejoon and Shindae who looked to the company that walked out of the glass doors, both carrying an ice cream cone as well. Taehyung it in a way Shindae thought was rather adorable, while Yoongi offered her cousin a napkin. She eyed the boy with suspicion, but was met with a playful smile in return. There was no way Shindae could forgive this boy for stealing from her. There was no way he would get away with this just like that. The first step was to reclaim her stolen possession.

 

"Th-Thanks." She heard her cousin mutter, clearly flustered, as she took the napkin and cleared her skin from the goo.

"Give it back." Shindae ordered, addressing Yoongi.

The taller boy, however, ignored her just like she had when they had just arrived. After all, he wasn't sure whether he was addressing him. 

"I'm talking to you, Min Yoongi. Give back what you took from me?" She demanded in a louder voice this time. 

 

"What are you talking about Sunbae? I don't recall taking anything from you?" He responded.

Shindae immediately recognised the devilish sparkle in his eyes.

"I only recall finding something," Yoongi added.

"Well, return it." She demanded once again.

"Return what?"

 

Shindae eyed her cousin briefly, who simply nodded to her. The damage was done, but at least he couldn't spread it any further.

"You mean this?" Yoongi suddenly asked, grabbing the attention of all three.

 

Shindae clearly saw Taehyung's grin, which worried her, but also confirmed that she knew what he would reveal. And as expected Yoongi took a rectangle shaped object out of his pocket. It glossed in the sunlight, as the one holding it casually took a from his ice cream. Shindae's eyes travelled from the boy's face to his hand, examining the photo. She heard Hyejoon gasp as she saw the image on the Polaroid and Shindae eyed the thief harshly, almost glaring at him. As if used to the daggers Shindae threw with her eyes, Yoongi laughed shortly.

 

"Min Yoongi, I swear to god if you don't return that to me, I will make every second you walk on this earth worse than hell." Shindae finally snapped.

 

Now both Taehyung and Yoongi laughed, while Hyejoon firmly nodded at her cousin's statement. To both girls' surprises, Yoongi stepped forward and held his hand out. Shindae reached out for the photo, but just in time Yoongi retracted his, out of the girl's reach. The two eyed each other, Shindae with clear annoyance, while Yoongi just smiled. He had a plan. There was a meaning behind that smile and the crinkled eyes he inspected her with. Eventually the photo ended back in the pocket of his vest.

 

"On one condition, I will return it to you." Yoongi spoke, smirking at Shindae's groan.

"And you think I'll agree with whatever you say?" The girl asked, not believing he dared to speak those words.

"I think you will, if that is the only way for you to retrieve this precious object of yours." he argued. "Just listen."

Shindae sighed and gave in. "Speak."

 

"Have lunch with me Monday at school. As soon as the bell rings at the end of the break, I will return your precious picture."

 

It wasn't that much of a request and it made it suspicious to the point that Shindae started to doubt, whether to agree or not. Once again she sought her cousin's help. She saw the desperate girl nod and there was no way Hyejoon would disagree with this simple request, if that meant to get the picture back. She did not know what it meant to have lunch with this boy though. And suddenly Shindae was also reminded by the rumours at school. She cursed in mind, knowing how strange it must look to the whole school population if she had lunch with this boy. Especially after those rumours. But Shindae also wondered since when she bothered to care about what people thought of her.

 

"Fine. I'll do it." she agreed eventually. "You better keep your promise, Min Yoongi."

 

For a good measure, Shindae threw a glare at both Yoongi and Taehyung, who smirked back at her, before turning around and grabbing Hyejoon's hand. They walked down the shopping street. Once Shindae was sure that they were far enough, she released Hyejoon's hand and rubbed her hand on her jeans, complaining about how sticky her cousin's hand was. Hyejoon didn't bother to even apologise, finding herself to be quite upset, no enraged, with her cousin. How could she let something like that happen? How did Kim Taehyung, the, Kim Taehyung that made her life complicated already, have seen her in her bikini? There was no one she could blame but her cousin at this moment. Although she didn't speak it out, Hyejoon was upset.

 

The weekend passed too quickly for Shindae's taste and soon enough Monday morning arrived. With a heavy heart she walked through the gates of school. She was late again, purposely, in order to avoid all the gleaming eyes of the other students. Friday was a hell already. She had no patience to deal with the childish and back stabbing behaviour of her peers. She attended homeroom and made her way out as soon as she could. The whispers behind her back and the stares she received avoided. She had to save her energy. Today she was on an important mission. The hours in the morning had never passed this quickly before.

 

The lunch bell rang. Shindae's mission had begun.