Seumuldul

Third time's the charm // Sundae

Entering this house was everything but comfortable for Shindae, who uneasily clasped her long shawl around her to keep the cold from stinging her skin directly. Hoseok was walking directly beside her, only half a step further. He was chatting comfortably about the party, showing her around and even offering her a drink, which she for now politely refused. There was a lot to see and the hall had seemed endless at that moment. Probably because she was highly impatient.

 

Although the house was big, the spacious living room seemed to be on a whole new level. Perhaps it was because of the darkness that made it impossible for her to see the other end, even when in the middle of the room. She had no idea how much time had passed, but she was still following the boy with the reversed snapback on his head, who kept talking and keeping her attention. The paper bag in her hand containing the birthday present seemed to have grown immensely heavy, or maybe she was just getting tired.

 

Shindae was about to release a sigh, when she was forced to swallow it upon a name being called by the boy beside her. “Yoongi-ah!”

 

She stopped in her tracks, glancing momentarily at Hoseok before following his gaze to the u shaped couch and said first year student sitting in the corner piece like a king. She recognised the young men around him as their club president, Seokjin and his classmate Namjoon. There were a few younger boys that joined them. She recognised two as Jimin and Taehyung, Hyejoon’s friend and love interest. To Taehyung’s left was a much younger boy, with raven hair and a black and red sweater.

 

As she walked closer to the couch, there was something she started to notice about Yoongi. He stared at Hoseok before his eyes fell on Shindae. He too seemed to notice something different about the girl. Shindae was sure it was the darkness and the party lighting playing with her vision. The black beanie, he wore however, was much darker than the locks framing his face and Shindae’s eyebrows curled into a frown when the boy got up from his seat. A voice interrupted the conversation that hadn’t started yet.

 

“Noona?” Shindae heard an awfully familiar voice call. “Shindae noona?”

 

The red haired turned her head towards the source of the voice, finding three familiar figures in a place she wouldn’t have expected them. The one on the front she recognised as the boy she met at her favourite store, Mino. The two others were her distant cousins and childhood friends, the trouble duo, Zico and Kyung. Mino looked dashing in his tuxedo and up styled hair. The two others had done an effort in looking good as well.

 

“Mino…?” Shindae heard herself say in a questioning tone.

 

“I didn’t know you were invited. Not that I mind, I mean I’d be happy to spend my birthday with noona.” he told her, with a twinkling smile.

 

“Your birthday?” the girl uttered again, notably confused as she turned back to glance at Yoongi. “But I thought.”

 

“You know my brother?” she heard him ask.

 

Shindae fell completely silent in response. Brother? And they had the same birthday? Or was this Mino’s birthday party she was invited to? Then again, it would be strange for Yoongi to invite her to his brother’s birthday party for whatever sneaky plan he had in mind. She didn’t get it. What did this mean? The only explanation she could think of, was the two being twins. But how could two people so different, be related so closely?

 

“Fraternal twins.” She heard a familiar whisper, too close for her liking.

 

In a reflex she pulled away and jabbed her elbow into the stomach of the figure behind her. Kyung released a low growl before walking back to Zico who simply laughed his off and Mino who was grinning, but supported his friend so he could keep standing on his feet. Yoongi hadn’t moved from his spot and watched the scene. Jin couldn’t help but flash a small smile at the scene of his friend showing a bitter expression. He stood up beside him and placed a firm hand on the boy’s shoulder.

 

“Happy birthday, Mino.” she showed a sincere smile to the boy, which surprised both him and his brother.

 

Shindae fished a small package from her paper bag and handed it to Mino. Luckily the store had given her a trinket along with the present she had originally bought for a certain someone. If she remembered right it was a rosy gold coloured pocket watch, which she had planned on keeping for herself. But right now it came in handy as a present for this boy. Shindae held out the professionally wrapped small box and watched Mino take it.

 

“It’s not much, sorry. I didn’t know it was a birthday party for two people.” she admitted.

 

The raven haired shook his head lightly and smiled. “Thank you, noona.”

 

“Sunbae, a moment please.”

 

The voice had rudely interrupted her conversation and the only natural reaction was a glare towards the offender in this case obviously, Min Yoongi, who just had to throw dirt on her plate again. But the look she received in response was, although familiar, on a completely different level of intensity. Shindae was slightly taken aback by the seriousness in Yoongi’s expression. What had gotten him so worked up? Was it because she hadn’t greeted him? Well if he was going to act like a spoilt brat, she would have none of it of course.

 

But of course, she was here with a purpose and hence decided to follow him. She glanced back at Mino, but before she could say anything she saw him gesturing her to follow his brother, donning a devious smirk that resembled Yoongi’s a lot. But yeah, they were brothers. So that shouldn’t be a surprise right? Well for now it still was and despite the situation being so simple, she needed a while to process it.

 

Yoongi led Shindae to a different room, where they were alone. Glancing around at the furniture, Shindae guessed that it was the kitchen. The lights were off and the door to the living room closed, so she couldn’t be sure. Seconds later she heard a clap and was about to scoff when the lights actually . She was forced to immediately suppress it and act natural. The plan failed upon noticing and confirming what she had seen earlier in the living room. As her eyes widened, she saw Yoongi’s face fall into surprise as well as he pointed at her.

 

“You… dyed your hair?” she said, more like a question than she meant to.

 

“So did you.” Yoongi followed up. “It’s…”

 

“Not the same colour, for your information. I should know.” Shindae affirmed.

 

“Right.” Yoongi smirked as he eyed her. “It looks good.”

 

And that was something Shindae did not expect to hear, to the point that opened to speak. There was only one tiny problem. There was no sound to sweep past her lips.