Hana

Third time's the charm // Sundae

A gentle breeze whistled by, gracing this particular day of early spring. Trees rustled as animals had woken up freshly from their winter slumbers, ready to head out and start a fresh year. Upon reaching a great oak tree, the wind blew a single leaf from its branch. Taking it along, it teased the leaf that danced upon the gust until it tangled into the hair of a brunette. A brunette that leisurely walked through the gates, entering school properties, clad in her uniform with her precious camera dangling around her neck. She seemed to be the only one taking her time though, as students around her rushed and didn't bother turning back to apologise after bumping into one another. They were to immersed in getting to their classes on time, while every second, the bell could ring.

 

The dark haired heaved a sigh at her schoolmates' behaviour, directing it upwards to remove a strand of hair from across her face. Once it was blown to the side as planned, she heard the bell and rolled her eyes, noting a mental "I told you so,". She couldn't even finish her thoughts as a weight pushed in her back, drifting her off her balance and making her tumble forward. A muffled squeal was the response. Some disoriented steps and a few flails of her arms were needed to regain her balance. Once she raised her head, the senior found the culprit glancing at her while running forward. The grin on his face made her fist curl in anger.

 

"That little b-..."

 

"Yah, Song Shindae. The bell has rung, what are you doing outside?" She heard the familiar pretence authoritative call to her.

 

Shindae turned half a step to the side, to look at the owner of the voice. Her PE teacher stood tall, facing her with a bamboo stick lying on his shoulders, while he held its end with his right hand. The girl rolled her eyes at the attempt of this teacher to intimidate her. She bowed silently before turning back and continuing her leisure walk to her homeroom class. She was about ten minutes later, opening the door and bowing as she mumbled an apology. As usual the female teacher would tell her to come on time next time, before allowing her to walk to her seat.

 

The usual routine during the first hour of the week, would be a ten minute talk from their homeroom teacher followed by her disappearance to allow the class to work on their homework and assignments. While the class emerged in chatter, Shindae remained in her seat on the third desk from the back, right beside the window. As usual her eyes gleamed outside, seeking her next objects of interest. The ones she found, she noted in her math notebook, with a few extra notes and reminders to herself. While one hand was busy writing, the other reached to the camera that was still around her neck, caressing the lens' back with her index finger. A habit she had while thinking.

 

Once her notes were finished, Shindae propped herself on her feet and grabbed her notebook and back before making her way out of the classroom. Not one second more, did she want to spend there, while the objects were outside, ready for her to capture. And there was no way, she was going to follow geography obediently. Getting out of the building took half of the time that it took her to get in. Of course this time around, she wasn't walking in her snail pace anymore. With a big package of banana milk in one hand, and her bag in her other, she found the grass field she stared at from the classroom.

 

Once settled in a convenient way, beneath the oak tree, she finally took the camera in her hands. Shindae scanned the area through the camera lens, seeking the perfect angles and the perfect targets for her pictures. Time passed and kept passing, while the girl lost track of it. Emerged in the thing she loved doing most, Song Shindae wouldn't even notice if a bomb exploded. As long as she had the satisfying shots she had planned on getting. Even if she had to spend the night under that oak tree.

 

She turned her body to move onto her next target, when a queer object flashed by her lens for a second. She turned back bit by bit, to find the glistening object she had seen. The brunette discovered a familiar object facing her way, The same thing she was looking through at that moment. Her eyebrows curled into a slight frown as she identified the Nikon camera. For a moment the owner of the camera distanced the object from his face and stared at her directly. He stared down at the girl from a window on the second floor, while she stared up at him from beneath the oak tree.

 

The boy with the medium brown hair and dark chocolate eyes stared at the girl from the distance, while she glanced back. A scowl formed on her face, upon recognising the boy. It seemed as if he had recognised her as well, or saw her scowl since he disappeared as soon as he had appeared in front of her lens. Shindae waited a few moments for his features to emerge again in the window opening, but it never did. The girl lacked the patience to wait for more than a minute, so she resumed her previous work. She would get him next time.

 

The peace of her work didn't last long, since the lunch bell rang and the stream of students exited the building to scatter around the school grounds seeking a spot to eat their lunch and spend the one hour of freedom with their friends. The silence was completely broken as the, in Shindae's opinion, immature noises of her schoolmates rang through her ears. Thirty seconds was all that was needed for her temples to start pounding and a headache of irritation to well up in the back of her head. Thirty more seconds were needed to pack her bags and for now, plan to head to the safety of the library. The plan was interrupted by the interference of one single voice.

 

"Sunbae?" the brunette heard from behind her.

 

With an extra dramatic sign, Shindae reluctantly turned around. Her camera had returned to its trusted space around her neck and it swayed from side to side. The turn deliberately took longer than needed. Once she was facing the figure that had called her, Shindae stood perplexed for a moment. It was the third time to see this boy on the same day. God probably hated her guts and was laughing at her misery at this point. Judging from the boy's necktie colour, he was a first year. A mischievous, trouble making first year student.

 

"Yes?" Shindae responded, irritation vivid in her voice.

"Song... Shindae sunbaenim right?" He asked again.

"Yes?" was the response again, this time even more irritated.

 

The curious expression of the boy turned into a gleaming smile. The kind that also pinched the eyes into arches as the irises peered through those little slits at her. An eyebrow of hers raised at this strange scene.

 

"Min Yoongi. Nice to meet you." The boy beamed, making the girl feel even more awkward than she already felt.

 

A moment of silence passed as the two stared at each other. Shindae with her estranged gaze at the boy, while he looked back with one of the most long lasting eye smiles, the brunette had ever seen in her life. The momentary silence was interrupted by a muffled moan coming from the younger male, followed by the rustling of the grass and a thumb indicating a fall. Once the silence returned, Shindae was staring down at the boy, as he glanced up at her with an expression in between astonishment and anger.

 

"What the hell was that for?" he finally managed to let out.

 

Shindae clacked her tongue against the roof of and a smirk took its place upon her lips and eyes.

 

"Third time's the charm." She announced, before making her leave.