Yeoseot

Third time's the charm // Sundae

Unlike other days this particular thursday had passed rather quickly. Just like her usual routine, Shindae had resumed her usual morning routine, only attending class for attendance and then leaving until lunch break. Unfortunately Shindae couldn't spend the second half of the day the same though. The reason was simple. If there was one class Shindae hated most, it wasn't a class that required sitting at a desk and staring at a chalkboard. No. It was the class that forced every student on the planet to actively participate in physical torture called sports. That's right. Physical Education was her biggest enemy in this school, because she couldn't skip it due to a persistent teacher and because the several activities were graded. She needed a grade for PE to graduate, even if she failed.

 

When the lunchbell rang, Shindae was at her spot underneath the tree. She hadn't seen Yoongi for the past two days, for some reason. The thought that he might be angry at her, crossed her mind and the girl smiled, for the first time that day and took a bite of her tuna sandwich. The first half of her break passed quite peacefully, as she sat alone underneath the oak, with the camera on her lap and a bottle of water in her hand, to satisfy her cravings for fluids. It was quite a warm day and the sun was beaming brightly at her. The peace was disturbed by a voice she recognised almost immediately, a voice she'd rather only hear during the one and a half hour school torture aside of classes.

 

"Yah! Song Shindae!"

 

Shindae whipped her head into the direction of the voice, eyeing the owner with a rather dull and bored expression. The girl that walked up to her with a big smile, was none other than the second year student she recognised as Baeri, Jin's 'friend'. Once the girl was close enough to tower over her as she sat, Shindae placed her hand against her forehead, to cover her eyes from the bright sun. The ever so smiling Baeri, didn't hesitate to sit without seeking approval. Not that Shindae cared to give any. The only thing on her mind at that moment was: 'What does this girl want?'

 

"Sunbae, are you close to Suga?" Baeri asked as she plucked the grasses to the left of her, in between her and Shindae.

"Suga?" the girl responded, without much interest. 

"Right... I guess not." Baeri responded, followed by a sigh.

 

At that point Shindae turned to stare at the girl, with her trademark arched eyebrow, demanding answers and fast. Baeri who looked back at her, was only slightly intimidated by the senior.

 

"Rude much?" Shindae remarked dryly.

"What?"

"Rude. That's what you are. First you call me by my name as if we know each other, you sit down without even asking if I am okay with it, then you ask me vague things I can't even answer properly and you don't even bother clarifying it?" She exclaimed in one breath. "If that's not rude, then I don't know what is."

 

Baeri remained rather unaffected by this outburst and shrugged.

"If you like Yoongi, Sunbae, you can just say so." She let her know airily.

 

And for a moment Shindae remained completely silent. Hearing the name Yoongi, rang a bell. But what had this whole conversation, this whole situation to do with that cheeky excuse of a male? Baeri seemed to have taken Shindae's silence as surprise and suddenly started laughing. This figure's strange behaviour confused Shindae even more. She didn't even know what to think of it. Allowing the words and this wicked scene to sink in, Shindae forced herself to breathe calmly and take things slowly.

 

"What are you talking about? What does that kid have to do with this?" She asked, proud of her calm demeanour.

"Suga is Yoongi's nickname. Among friends that is. I assumed you knew." Baeri casually replied.

"Well, I didn't." Shindae clarified.

"Yeah, I noticed." the other girl remarked.

Shindae let out a puff of air as she rubbed her temples. This girl costs her the energy she needed to survive PE.

"And tell me..." she continued. "why do I like this... Yoongi again?"

 

"Well..." Baeri started.

"Oh this better be good." Shindae muttered under her breath, the other girl ignored it.

"The way you two behave around each other, is like two elementary school kids, crushing on each other. You know, the teasing, bullying and violence even." Baeri shrugged. "Oh and of course the way you two kept stealing glances at each other, at art club."

 

Shindae stared at the girl, dead in the eye, for a good moment. Baeri seemed so convinced of herself that she felt bad to refute her exclamations. Or not.

"Right, just like how you and Jin like each other?" Shindae remarked.

Surprisingly, instead of the expected blush and embarrassment, Baeri grinned with only a faint shade of pink glossing her cheeks before shaking her head.

"Nu-uh. You're not at our level at all. Not yet at least." She assured her sunbae.

 

Shindea sighed again, wondering if that comment was something to be spoken out loud. She didn't care much. What she did care for, however, was proving this girl wrong. And she gladly did. Baeri had to know that her assumptions of what was going on between her and that first year brat, was complete the opposite of her assumptions. How could she even imagine that she, a young woman almost at the prime age of 18, could be having romantic feelings for a first year boy, who had yet to turn 16. The biological and mental age difference was way too gapped. 

 

"Listen here, Baeri." Shindae started. "What you think is going on, between me and Min Yoongi, which is none of your business by the way, is not even close to 'liking'. The only thing I want to do, when that guy comes within my field of vision, is to take him down, knock him out and embarrass him."

Shindae paused for a few seconds, waiting for a response from Baeri. But before she allowed the girl to give any, she spoke again. "In other words, revenge."

 

"Why?" was the only response, the other girl could give after a short silence. She couldn't help the smile that kept returning to her face.

"That, Baeri-ah, is none of your business." Shindae remarked.

 

Just in time, the bell rang, indicating the end of the lunch break. Shindae packed her belongings and even returned her camera into its case and her school bag, before marching off, leaving the smirking younger girl behind. Next was the subject she hated most. Baeri had already drained so much of her energy, that Shindae started wondering whether she'd survive the afternoon. Luckily she didn't have club activities on Thursdays, which meant, heading straight back home, showering and spending the rest of her time on the couch in front of the tv.

 

But Shindae wouldn't be Shindae, if Lady Luck was on her side all the time. She cursed the day even more during her afternoon class. Clad in her sports uniform, the senior was on the outdoor sports field with the rest of her class, 3-A and 3-B. Not only these classes, though. She recognised the faint figure of a happily laughing Yuni, whom seemed overjoyed by the fact that she could spend her afternoon with her boyfriend, Kim Namjoon. The former being from class 1-B, while the latter was from class 1-A. That also meant that she would have to share her PE time with the other kids from class 1-A. The one that worried her most, was glancing right at her, displaying a crinkled eye smile that sent shivers down her spine.