Seumulhana

Third time's the charm // Sundae

Why was probably the best question she could ask herself. Why was Shindae at this store, about to waste her money on something that wasn’t even going to be in her possession for long? Buying presents was supposed to be enjoyable and exciting even when difficult. Shindae’s expression however was probably the opposite of joy and excitement. There was nothing fun about wasting her money on someone she didn’t even like.

 

Still there she was, holding a perfume for men in her hands, lined up in the queue to the cash register. The wallet she held in her hand, felt too light to her taste after receiving the bag with the wrapped present moments later. The brunette glared at the bag as if it would turn back into money with her intense stare. After several moments she gave up when passing the sliding doors. Sighing she looked up.

 

Shindae’s eyes fell on the banner of a hairdresser, that blocked her view from the bank of grey clouds she was supposed to stare at. Instead of scowling at the depressing greyness of the afternoon puffs of fluff, that threatened to pour a rainshower on the city, the colourful banner swaying in the wind became the object of interest. Her eyes trailed the, obviously fake, flowing hair of a model and her bright blonde hair. And so a smile merged onto her face as she entered through the glass doors, greeted by the chime of the shop’s bell.

 

Hours later when the sun was already setting and the skies shimmered in a golden glow, the girl opened the door to her house. The familiar sneakers in the hallway were the sign of the presence of her cousin. And right on cue, said cousin appeared through the door to the toilet. She walked out, forced to face the elder and before being able to greet her, the girl’s mouth dropped in shock. Shindae returned the reaction with a smirk.

 

“Your hair… Shindae unnie… Your hair!”

The other laughed at the girl’s reaction as she took off her shoes. “Do you like it, or nah?” She asked, cutting the girl’s stare off.

“I do, it’s pretty!” Hyejoon responded sincerely.

 

And that’s what Shindae loved about her cousin. She was downright honest about things like these. Although Shindae had been quite anxious about her metamorphosis and especially about her family’s and Hyejoon’s reactions, she felt relieved that one of them appreciated it. It hadn’t been a small change either. Shindae’s long velvet brown locks had been dyed in a bright red shade, glimmering in the light, accentuating her green eyes and highlighting her pale skin.

 

“Thanks.” She grinned and walked past the girl into the kitchen.

 

There she dumped her bag and coat on a chair and carefully placed her camera pouch on the table. She pulled open the fridge and grabbed the pack of milk and two glasses. After returning the milk to the fridge, the girl placed one glass in front of Hyejoon’s usual seat and sipped at the other. Hyejoon had taken her place shortly after and took the lid off the cookie jar, taking out two and offering her cousin one. It signaled some sort of truce, right?

 

“The mum’s are on a trip again?” Shindae asked the girl, who in turn nodded.

“There was a sale. They’re bulk buying shampoo and some other things.” Hyejoon explained and both cousins sighed at the same time.

“Mums” Shindae spoke, before taking yet another sip of her milk. Hyejoon shrugged.


 

“Oh right. Can I borrow your grey dress? You know the one with the swirly stripes.” Hyejoon asked suddenly.

Shindae gulped down her milk and placed the glass on the counter. “Sure. Why though?”

“Uhh…Well…” Shindae arched an eyebrow at her cousin shifting in her seat and staring at the half empty glass in front of her.

A smirk curved in her lips. “Let me guess, a date?”

Hyejoon’s flinched before landing her eyes on her cousin, blinking way too many times to be normal. “How did you…?”

“Your face speaks for you. Your cheeks are redder than my hair.” Shindae notified.

 

When Hyejoon puckered her lips into a pout, Shindae rolled her eyes. “Stop that.”

“Can I also borrow your purse?” Hyejoon asked.

Shindae squinted her eyes almost in a glare, but softened immediately upon seeing her cousin’s still evident puppy look. “Fine! Stop it already!”


“Great, thanks! I already packed them. See you tomorrow!” was Hyejoon’s response to her agreement.

 

Astonished Shindae watched her cousin grab her bag, coat and plastic bag before rushing out of the house. The red haired followed and slipped her feet into her mother’s slippers before rushing out the door, only to see her cousin racing away on her bike. She placed her hands on her hips and shook her head, glooming into the direction her cousin had disappeared. She sighed after a few moments before turning around to get back into her house. A voice stopped her in her trail.

 

“Noona, is that you?”

 

Turning back, Shindae was met with the deep brown eyes of a familiar 12 year old. The boy’s curls messily spread on top of his head and his facial muscles were tilted in a smile of surprise and amusement. The tanned boy was carrying two bags. One probably filled with his mother’s groceries, while the other contained junk food for himself. A bad habit, but Shindae could appreciate it.

 

“Jaejoon-ah. Back from shopping?” The girl asked with a smile.

“You look like a disney princess!” Jaejoon exclaimed, ignoring the girls question.

Shindae returned the praise with a smile. “Thank you Jaejoon, that’s really sweet.”

The boy’s cheeks coloured in a warm sweet tint that the girl found endearing. “If you grow up into a handsome man, I’ll let you be my prince charming.” Shindae found herself teasing him.

To her surprise the boy nodded eagerly. “That’s a promise!” And made his way into his house, probably embarrassed, from the look of the intensifying colour his skin was taking.


 

It was 12 past 9 when Shindae had been standing in front of the address on the invitation card. Around a minute ago she had stepped out of the car. Her mother had been in a good mood and dropped her off, merrily cheering about her daughter finally finding friends other than Hyejoon. Shindae could not appreciate her mother’s excitement, since she wasn’t going to have fun at this party.

 

For a solid minute, Shindae glared at the gates, shivering in her outfit and cursing herself for not wearing anything that covered up her legs, instead of the knee-length navy dress. Her arms were covered with only lace sleeves until halfway her upper arms. Since her coat would ruin her dress, Shindae had wrapped a wide shawl around her that matched her dress somewhat. What took them so long? Finally the gate was opened by a familiar face, who only grinned at her.

 

“Glad you came, Sunbae.” The boy spoke. “It’s -”

“Hoseok. Yes I remember.” Shindae interrupted. “It’s freezing.”

“Let’s go inside.” The boy spoke and guided her through the front doors, where the music and warmth welcomed her.