Dance

Without you it's not the same

A sigh left the girl’s lips as she stared at the piece of paper in front of her. She let the pen she had in her hand drum against the desk surface as she tried to figure out what to write next on the paper, she had currently ran out of ideas.

Her head tilted to the right, she let her head stay in that position for a while before she tilted it to the left. Still no ideas came up. She closed her eyes, letting out another sigh, and opened them again.

Her eyes left the paper when she felt the phone next to her hand buzz. Curious who had texted her she picked it up and read who it was from and what it said. A wide smile formed on her lips and she wrote a reply to the text message and placed her phone on the desk again. Feeling a spurt of energy again as she finally had gotten an idea she wrote down a few lines on the paper and stood up from her seat and got ready to go out.


---


The sound of steps coming from behind made the girl in front of the TV turn around. Seeing a brunette girl with a wide grin on her face she turned back to the TV, letting out a sigh as she waited for what the girl was up to today.

“Hi, Jessica.” Taeyeon said as she felt Jessica stop beside her.

“I got some great news!” Jessica announced and looked down on the floor where Taeyeon was sitting. Too focused on the game she was playing to look up at her again.

“Mhm.” Taeyeon said without looking from the game on the TV.

“Yoona messaged me. She told me about this small get-together for all the dancers at the dance studio.”

“But you’re not part of that studio.” Taeyeon pointed out.

“Yeah, I know, but she said you could bring friends, and she asked me. I also asked if it was okay if I brought someone else, and it was cool. So now we’re both going.” Jessica said and smiled wide.

Taeyeon paused the video-game and looked at the girl that stood beside her. Jessica smiled and she shook her head.

“I’m not going. What will they even do at that small get-together?”

“They will dance, drink, and have fun. Come on Taeyeon, you’ll like it!”

“I’m sorry. Dance? You know how I feel about dancing.”

“Ah, come on. It’ll only be this once.”

Taeyeon looked skeptically at the girl. Jessica’s smile faded and she looked down at her hands.

“Okay, not only this time, but come with me! You never know when you get a chance to go to this kind of thing!”

“Okay, you go, I stay here.”

“Stop being so boring!”

“Stop making me less boring.”

Jessica frowned as she saw Taeyeon going back to play her game. A sigh left the standing girl’s lips and she glanced towards the TV. She looked down at the girl sitting beside her and she pouted.

“I’ll tell your mom.”

“My mom’s not home.”

“I’ll tell your dad."

“He’s out with Kibum…Hey, it makes me wonder, how did you get in here?” Taeyeon asked and turned to the girl.

Jessica blinked shocked by the question and turned away from the girl.

“Your cat let me in.”

“I don’t have a cat…”

“The door was unlocked, which reminds me, you should thank me, actually. What if someone else would have come in here, huh? Why don’t you lock the door when you’re home alone? What if a murdered comes in and kills you?”

“I don’t think it’s such a big chance it would happen.”

“It could.”

“Whatever.”

Seeing Taeyeon went back to play the game Jessica sighed and took a seat next to the girl. She watched Taeyeon play for a few minutes until she grew bored of the silence between them.

“What’s your mom doing?”

“She’s out with her cooking club, I think.”

“Ah, and your dad and brother?”

“They’re going to a baseball game together.”

“Wow…your family is more fun than you.”

“What do you want from me?!” Taeyeon paused the game and turned to the girl. Jessica held back a smile when her attempt of getting Taeyeon’s full attention had succeeded.

“I want you to stop playing this boring game and go out with me. Don’t you suffocate being inside all day?”

“No I don’t!”

“Okay, that’s it.” Jessica snatched the game control away from Taeyeon and pushed the girl to lie on the floor. Too shocked to do anything Taeyeon was soon lying on her back on the floor, with Jessica sitting on top of her.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Taeyeon asked when she found herself unable to get the other girl off of her.

“Playing your boring game. Hey, how does this even work?” Jessica asked and looked down at the control in her hands.

“Sica, Sica, press the square button. No, not the triangle! The square button! Oh my God did you even learn geometry in school?!” Taeyeon watched in horror how her game character got slashed to death by its enemies. Seeing the character dead she lied her head back down and let out a sigh.

“Oh…you died.” Jessica said and stared at the screen.

“You killed me!”

“Well, it’s just a game.” Jessica said and placed the control on the floor and turned to face the girl she was sitting on top of.

“Will you go and dance with me now?” Jessica asked with a smile.

“Fine! I’ll go to the get-together, but I won’t dance! Capish?”

“Yeah, as long as you come with me.” Jessica said and stood up from her seat on her friend and helped Taeyeon up as well. The girl glared at her which she just brushed off.

“I’ll pick you up at seven. You can go back to play your game now if you want.” Jessica said and pointed to the game console and the TV.

Taeyeon frowned and snatched the game control from the floor. She looked at the other girl that was still in her house.

“What are you going to do now?” Taeyeon asked.

“I was thinking of eating something.” Jessica said and slowly made her way to the door. She stopped and glanced at the girl in front of the TV that looked at her, interested as the subject of food seemed to have been brought up.

“Are you hungry?” Jessica asked.

“I want Chinese.” Taeyeon said.

A smile graced Jessica’s lips and she went to the foyer to put on her shoes. “I’ll bring Chinese and when I’m back I better see a movie playing instead of that game, alright?”

“Okay!” Taeyeon replied.

“And lock the door! I don’t need you to be killed.”

“Alright, see you later.” Taeyeon said without budging from her seat in front of the TV.

A wide smile was on Jessica’s lips as she went to the nearby Chinese restaurant where she and Taeyeon always ordered their Chinese food when they wanted it.


---


Taeyeon looked horrified at the people that stood in a circle, cheering on someone that seemed to be standing in the middle. The people in the circle were holding bottles, or glasses in their hands while they all cheered in the rhythm with the beat to the music that was playing.

She already regretted coming there, but she felt Jessica was dragging her closer towards the group of people. They reached a rather tall girl that was holding a beer bottle in her left hand. Jessica tapped the girl’s shoulder and she turned around, a smile formed on the girl’s lips and she engulfed Jessica in a hug.

“Sica-unnie you came!” The girl said after they had broken the hug. Both girls turned to Taeyeon that was awkwardly standing by the side.

“This is Taeyeon I told you I’d take with me.” Jessica introduced her companion to the girl.

“Ah, yes, nice to meet you. I’m Yoona.” The tall girl said and reached out her hand towards Taeyeon.

Taeyeon took the hand and shook it. Yoona had a pleased smile on her lips and turned back to Jessica, taking a sip of the beer before she talked again.

“So, are any of you gonna dance.” Yoona asked and glanced at both Jessica and Taeyeon.

“Nah, we’re just gonna watch.” Jessica said and shook her head.

Yoona nodded her head and glanced towards the middle of the circle when the people around them started to applaud.

“Hey, you remember Yuri, right?” Yoona asked. Upon hearing the familiar name Taeyeon put more attention and interest in the conversation Yoona and Jessica were having.

“Yeah, she was in my and Taeyeon’s class in high school.” Jessica said and pointed at herself and Taeyeon. Yoona looked at Taeyeon and the girl nodded in agreement to what Jessica had said.

“Cool, well, she’s here.” Yoona said and pointed at a girl that was being cheered on as she was living the middle of the circle. The girl with black hair stopped as she saw Yoona and started to make her way to her.

“Hey, Yoong!” Yuri said and put an arm around the girl. Her eyes land on Jessica and Taeyeon, who she immediately recognized and engulfed them in hugs.

“Sica, Taeng it was years since I last saw you two!” She said as she released the two girls. “I see you two are still glued to each other’s sides, huh?” She said and smiled.

“Yeah, it’s hard letting go.” Jessica said and smiled cheekily.

“Yeah, I totally get that. Hey, do you want something to drink?” Yuri asked and pointed towards a truck where two guys seemed to be handing out drinks.

“I’ll just take the same as you. What about you Taeyeon?” Jessica asked and turned to the girl that was quietly following her by the side.

“Uhm…same I guess.” Taeyeon said and shrugged her shoulders. Yuri looked at the shorter girl, a smile formed on her lips and she placed her hand on top of Taeyeon’s head and ruffled the girl’s locks.

“You haven’t changed a bit.” Yuri pointed out.

“Actually she has.” Jessica pointed out.

“Oh, really?” Yuri said and stopped to observe Taeyeon a bit. She eyed the girl up and down before she pointed at Taeyeon’s face.

“You no longer have glasses!” Yuri exclaimed.

“Contacts.” Taeyeon said and swatted away the hand that was pointing at her.

“Ah…I thought something looked different. But except for that, still the same I suppose?” She asked and looked at Jessica.

“Mostly, she’s still antisocial, stays at home, only goes out if I put a leash on her.” Jessica said.

“Hey!” Taeyeon protested.

Yuri began laughing and stopped once again once they had reached the truck. She pointed at something inside the truck and held up three fingers. Three bottles was held out and she took them and gave one each to Jessica and Taeyeon.

“I can see you two are exactly the same.” Yuri said.

“Well, why change when we’re almost perfect?” Jessica said and grinned. Yuri nodded agreeing and walked towards the circle of people. She took a sip of the bottle’s content and turned to the pair that walked beside her.

“Oh, you remember Minho right?” Yuri said and pointed at Jessica. The latter’s eyebrows furrowed and she looked at Taeyeon that shrugged her shoulders before she looked back at Yuri again.

“I’d probably have remembered him if he had any importance in my life, but seems like he doesn’t.” Jessica said.

“The , as you called him, that flirted with Krystal.” Yuri said.

“Oh, that guy!”

“Yeah, he has a girlfriend now.” Yuri said and smiled.

Jessica observed Yuri for a few seconds before her brows raised and she looked shocked at the girl.

“No…you and the ?” She said and tilted her head to the side.

“Yeah, but he isn’t like before. He’s not an anymore. Promise.” Yuri said and tried to convince Jessica. The girl looked skeptical but nodded her head.

“Fine, as long as you’re happy.” Jessica said and sipped her drink.

“I am.” Yuri stated and smiled at the girl.

“Hey, Yul! It’s your turn!” A guy from the middle of the circle of people said. Yuri waved to signal she got it and finished the rest of the bottle before tossing it to the side.

“Well, I gotta go. I’ll probably see you around here.” She said and smiled at the two girls. Taeyeon and Jessica nodded their heads and watched as Yuri made her way to the middle of the group of people. Cheers were heard followed by the sound of music.

“Wow…Yuri and the as*hole. Can you imagine it?” Jessica said and turned to Taeyeon. The latter shook her head in answer.

“I wonder if he has changed.” Jessica said and sipped on her drink with a thoughtful expression on her face.

“If not Yuri’s standards has lowered.” Taeyeon commented.

A smile was brought to Jessica’s lips and she turned to the girl next to her.

“That would actually be more believable.” Taeyeon nodded her head and Jessica began to chuckle. They continued to listen to the cheers from the people in silence without saying much to each other.

Jessica felt something nudge her arm and she turned towards Taeyeon and noticed she was poking her with the bottle. She looked confused up at the girl and grabbed the bottle Taeyeon didn’t seem to want anymore.

“What? Didn’t you like it?” Jessica asked and looked at Taeyeon.

“It tastes worse than beer.” Taeyeon stated.

A smile graced Jessica’s lips and she took a sip from the bottle Taeyeon had handed her. “Yeah, it tastes bad.” She agreed.

“Yet you’re still drinking from it.”

“I’m trying to understand people that dance through drinking what they like.”

“Have you come to any conclusion yet?”

“Their taste buds must be none existent.”

Taeyeon began laughing which made Jessica turn to her with a grin. When Taeyeon stopped laughing Jessica took one last sip from the bottle before throwing both bottles away.

“Let’s find Yoona and tell her we’re going home.” Jessica said and placed an arm around Taeyeon’s shoulders.

“Already bored?” Taeyeon asked with a grin.

“More like, I need to find something to wash away this awful taste in my mouth with.” Jessica said and grimaced.

Taeyeon began to laugh again and Jessica continued to smile.

It took them some time but they finally found Yoona and could bid the girl goodbye. They told her to tell Yuri goodbye from them before they started to make their way home.

“Do you have anything fun we can do at your house?” Jessica asked as they walked on the quiet street on their way home.

“My dad downloaded some new movies yesterday.”

“Let’s go to your place and watch movies then. I can always trust your dad’s taste in movies.” Jessica said relieved.

Taeyeon smiled upon the statement and looked forward as they continued to walk. Seeing a convince store she turned back to Jessica.

“Let’s get some snacks then. And something you can wash away the bad taste in your mouth with.” Taeyeon said and pointed the way the convince store was. Jessica turned to her friend with a smile on her lips.

“I like how you think.” Jessica said and grinned.

“Yeah.” Taeyeon said and grinned back.

“Okay, last person there pays for everything!” Jessica said and began running.

“Yah! I wasn’t even ready!” Taeyeon said and ran after the other girl.  


---


The light from the TV lightened up the dark living room in the Kim family’s house. Two figures were curled up on the couch with chips bags and glasses filled with soda in front of them on the coffee table. Both pair of eyes was glued to the screen where a movie they had chosen together was being showed.

A yawn escaped Jessica’s lips and she smacked her lips, before biting her lower lip. She had been sitting still for half an hour without even uttering any words or unnecessary comment. She was beginning to grow bored by just doing nothing.

She turned to the girl that sat beside her on the couch. By knowing the girl for long she could see that Taeyeon was beginning to get tired, and probably bored of the movie as well. A grin appeared on Jessica’s lips and she nudged Taeyeon’s side in hope of earning the girl’s attention.

Taeyeon slowly turned towards the girl beside her. Jessica flashed her a smile, which she just shook her head at and turned back to the TV as she thought it was nothing else. Another nudge and she looked back at Jessica with a raised eyebrow.

“If I asked you to, would you dance with me?” Jessica suddenly asked.

A sigh escaped Taeyeon’s lips and she turned back to the TV.

“I’ve already danced with you plenty of times before, so sure, why not?” Taeyeon said.

“If I had asked you back at the get-together thing, would you have danced with me there?”

“You promised me I wouldn’t need to dance if I agreed to go there with you.” Taeyeon pointed out.

“But if I really, really, reeeeeeeeally wanted to dance with you, would you have done it anyway?”

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and looked at the girl next to her. She tilted her head and continued to observe Jessica’s expression.

“Do you want to dance?” Taeyeon asked.

Jessica smiled so wide her teeth were showing. She grabbed Taeyeon’s arm and leaned closer to the girl like she was going to whisper a secret to her.

“I actually need to go to the toilet. But if you want to dance with me there I’d be happy to.” Jessica said.

Taeyeon frowned and shook her arm to get the other girl away from her before she pushed Jessica away with her feet.

“Go to the toilet!” Taeyeon bellowed and pointed the way the toilet was.

Jessica stood up from her seat while laughing. She patted Taeyeon’s head before she took a few waltz steps towards the toilet and turning around towards Taeyeon.

“You sure you don’t wanna dance?” She asked. Seeing Taeyeon’s expression Jessica smiled and turned around to go to the toilet and take care of her needs.