Drawing

Without you it's not the same

The girl went over to her desk and gathered the books she needed and put them in her backpack she had placed on a chair. She closed the screen to her laptop and put that one in the bag as well. She grabbed the notebook and few pens and pencils on the desk and put them in the bag before she finally closed it.

With a smile on her lips she looked from the closed bag back to the desk where she caught the sight of the piece of paper that had been lying under her notebook.  She glanced at her wrist watch and decided she still had some time left before she had to leave and picked up the paper.

She read the things that were written on the list. Nodded approvingly to the third thing and picked up a pen to draw a line over the thing. With a pleased smile on her face she placed the paper back on the table. Her eyes landed on the forth thing that was written. Her smile disappeared and a frown appeared instead.

The vibration from her cellphone brought her attention to the device that was in her pocket. She picked it up, reading who the text message was from brought a smile to her lips and she pocketed she pocketed her phone and grabbed her backpack and made her way to the door. Leaving the thing that had bothered her a few seconds ago behind.


---


A sigh left the girl’s lips and she leaned back in her chair. She held up her arms above her head and stretched a bit, letting out a tired sigh and let her arms fall down to the sides of her body again. Her eyes landed on the book, the laptop and the notebook in front of her. Her lips tugged downwards upon the sight and averted her gaze up a bit so the person that sat in front of her came into view. A grin appeared on her lips upon seeing the person.

The person didn’t take notice of her looking at her; she continued to be immersed in her studying. Never taking her eyes away from the laptop she was typing on. An idea struck the watcher and she grabbed her notebook and the pen that lied beside it. She flipped a new page open in it and placed it on the table again. Her eyes were on the person again, and they went back to the notebook where she started to slowly sketch something.

After minutes of not taking a break from typing Taeyeon finally stopped typing and stretched her arms in front of her. She bent her head to the side, then to the other before her eyes landed on the laptop screen again. She started to read through what she had written and started to correct a few mistakes she noticed she had made.

“Aish, you moved!”

Her eyes left the laptop screen and landed on Jessica that sat opposite of her. The other girl had a frown on her lips and she looked disappointed at Taeyeon. Her eyes lowered to the notebook that lied in front of Jessica, noticing the drawing she looked up at Jessica again.

“What are you doing?” Taeyeon asked as she could see Jessica wasn’t studying like she was supposed to do.

“I’m drawing you.” Jessica said and turned the notebook around to show Taeyeon was she had done. “But I couldn’t finish it because you moved.” Jessica added and frowned.

Taeyeon looked at the drawing, expecting something decent, but only had her lips turning downwards and she looked at the girl that had drawn her.

“This is me?” Taeyeon asked.

“Yeah, I think it’s really good.” Jessica said proudly and looked at her work. A smile formed on her lips and she looked at the other girl that had an expression that told her she didn’t agree. “You don’t think?” Jessica asked surprised.

“Jessica, you’ve never been good at drawing.” Taeyeon said with a sigh.

“What?” Jessica exclaimed shocked and held her hand over her chest. “You are just jealous over my artistic talent.” Jessica said and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Mm, yeah, sure.” Taeyeon said and tried to focus on her schoolwork instead.

“I promise you that I’m better than you at drawing.” Jessica said and smiled.

Taeyeon looked up from her laptop with a raised eyebrow. Jessica was still smiling at her and continued to hold out the drawing proudly in front of her. A sigh left the brunette’s lips and she picked up her own notebook, opened a new page, and grabbed a pen and moved herself in a good position.

“I’ll prove you wrong.” Taeyeon said and began to draw. Thrilled and excited Jessica sat as still she could in her seat for Taeyeon to draw her. Minutes passed and Jessica felt her whole body was itching to move. She glanced at Taeyeon’s progress and noticed the girl was almost done. She let her eyes go back to the position they had been before to let Taeyeon finish drawing her and soon enough the girl was done and Jessica could finally move.

“Lemme see, lemme see!” Jessica stretched her arms out towards Taeyeon’s notebook and the girl gave it to the girl without protest. She looked with awe at the drawing in her hands. With a big smile she turned back to the girl that had drawn it.

“Can I have it?” Jessica asked expectantly.

“Sure.” Taeyeon motioned for Jessica to hand back the notebook and she did. She watched as Taeyeon carefully ripped out the page the drawing was on and handed it back to Jessica. With a smile that could resemble a child’s on Christmas Jessica looked at the drawing she had been given.

“It was such a long time ago you drew something for me. Thank you Taeyeon!” Jessica said and flashed her toothy grin at the other girl.

“You’re welcome…hey, you only did that so I’d draw you something?!” Taeyeon asked when she realized what Jessica had first said.

“Yeah.” Jessica said and giggled.

“I should have known…” Taeyeon said and sighed. The watched as Jessica continued to look at the drawing with awe and amazement glimmering in her eyes.  

“But you have a talent for this. You draw really well.” Jessica said and continued to inspect the drawing of her.

“I don’t draw that well.” Taeyeon said embarrassed and tried to focus on her schoolwork instead when she felt the compliments was going to make her blush out of embarrassment.

“Well, you are my favorite artist. I’ll hang this on my wall!” Jessica exclaimed.

Taeyeon only shook her head and focused on her schoolwork. Jessica was left looking at the piece of art Taeyeon had given her. Because that was what it was to her. Art. Art her friend had made and given her. A pleased smile was on her lips and she placed the drawing beside her notebook and returned to do her own schoolwork which was why she had come to the library in the first place.


---


A sigh left the girl’s lips as she rolled around on the bed. She closed the magazine she had been reading and looked over at the girl that said by the desk in the room. Another sigh left her lips and she continued to look at the girl while swaying her feet in the air, left to right.

“Hey, Taeyeon,” Jessica called the girl by the desk.

“Hmm?” Taeyeon said without turning away from her text books.

“Are you going home for summer break?” Jessica asked and rolled to her side.

“Mm, yeah, I think so. Why?”

“Good. I was just wondering.” Jessica said with a pleased grin on her lips. The dorm room was filled with silence, except for the sound from Taeyeon turning a page once in a while.

“Hey, Taeyeon. Can’t we play a game?” Jessica asked bored and glanced at the girl that was busy studying.

“Erm, no.” Taeyeon asked without tearing her focus away from her text books.

“Why not?” Jessica asked with a pout.

“Because our exams are starting soon, and compared to you, I’m not a natural genius.” Taeyeon said and turned around in her seat to face Jessica. The girl on the bed continued to pout when her request had been rejected.

“I can help you study.” Jessica offered with a smile on her face. Taeyeon scoffed and turned around in her seat to face her text books again.

“Like I’d get anything done with you teaching me.” Taeyeon with her back facing Jessica. The girl on the bed was left with a frown on her lips as she watched her friend continue to study without taking her offer of help.

“Fine, be boring then.” Jessica said and lied down on her back. She crossed her arms and let out a puff of air through . The room was again filled silence except from Taeyeon occasionally turning the pages in the text books. Jessica sighed once again and turned around to lie on her side instead.

Her eyes were on Taeyeon’s back when she had turned around. She frowned upon seeing the sight and stuck out her tongue at the girl by the desk, which Taeyeon couldn’t see, but Jessica didn’t mind it and let her eyes fall down to her backpack that stood on the floor.

She let her hand reach out towards the bag, hoping to find something inside of it that could spare her from the boredom she was feeling. Her hand grabbed onto her notebook which she lifted up only to stop midair with it when a paper dropped from it. She looked at the paper that hand landed on the floor, she now saw it was the drawing of her Taeyeon had made.

Her boredom was forgotten as she picked up the drawing and looked at it. A smile formed on her lips and she turned to the person that had made it. Seeing the back that was facing her made her instantly drop her smile and she turned back to the drawing again.

“Why did you stop drawing?” Jessica asked and let her finger carefully trace the lines on the paper.

“I didn’t have time to do it.” Taeyeon replied.

“It’s a shame. You’re good at it.” Jessica said and furrowed her eyebrows. “Why don’t you study art instead? I’m sure you’d have time to draw then.” Jessica said and turned to Taeyeon.

“I never wanted to make money out of drawing.” Taeyeon said. Jessica furrowed her eyebrows as she thought it was strange. Because she remembered that Taeyeon loved to draw. So why not make money out of what you love?

“Why not?” Jessica asked and tilted her head to the side.

“Because I only want special people to see my drawings.” Taeyeon said in a low voice. Jessica stared at the back of the other girl for a few seconds before a grin started to appear on her lips. She turned to the drawing in her hands with a wide smile plastered on her lips.

“You’re cute.” Jessica said and glanced at the girl that was busy studying.

“Shut up.” Taeyeon said and didn’t turn around to face Jessica as the girl would see the blush on her cheeks.

The girl on the bed giggled and continued to look at the drawing. It was her favorite so far, and this one would she put up on her wall. Not let it lie in a box like the other drawings she had gotten from Taeyeon. Mostly of them were drawings Taeyeon had wanted to throw away but Jessica had saved them. She liked everything her friend made, even if it were failures.