Thank you

Without you it's not the same

The girl slowly entered the room where she saw the figure on the bed. A small smile graced her lips upon seeing the girl was sleeping soundly and didn’t seem to let her problems bother her. She scanned the room and noticed a few paper pieces on the floor. With furrowed eyebrows she approached them and picked them up from the floor.

After looking at some of them she realized it must have been written something on it. She began to piece together the paper pieces and after a while she realized it was some kind of list. And the more she began to piece everything together the bigger smile she got on her lips.

Oh, Jessica, you have some cute sides. Taeyeon thought and looked at the sleeping girl on the bed. She decided she should wake Jessica up and ask her about the list.

She slowly approached the bed and lied down next to the girl that was sleeping. Her arm wrapped around Jessica’s waist and she nuzzled the girl’s neck. She felt Jessica moved and she pulled away and saw the girl looked at her. The surprised look on Jessica’s face made Taeyeon smile at her.

“Hi, how are you?” Taeyeon asked and her face showed concern. She saw Jessica looked confused around the room before she looked back at Taeyeon.

“I’m fine, what are you doing here?” Jessica asked and blinked surprised.

“After you left the café, acting all strange, I have been worried about you. And because you told me not to call you and you’d contact me but didn’t do it for three days I decided to ask Krystal and your mom about it, and they kind of told me what had happened.” Taeyeon admitted.

“Oh…” Jessica looked guilty away from Taeyeon’s eyes, and Taeyeon felt bad for making Jessica feel guilty, she should be the one feeling guilty, and to make the girl feel better she leaned closer and planted a kiss on Jessica’s cheek.

“It’s not your fault though. I should have contacted you when I noticed something was off with you. I should have been there for you.” Taeyeon said and looked apologetically at Jessica. The latter looked surprised at her.

“But how would you have known something was wrong with me if no one told you?” Jessica asked.

“Your behavior at the café and not hearing from you for three days should have told me that.”

“True…but I told you I’d be the one contacting you.”

“Yes, but as your girlfriend I should have ignored it when I noticed something was wrong. As your girlfriend I should have cheered you up, done something for you.”

“Well…” Jessica looked away from Taeyeon’s eyes before she looked up at the girl again. “You’re here now.” Jessica said and smiled.

“Yeah…I am.” Taeyeon said and smiled as well.

“You can take the chance to cheer me up now.” Jessica said and raised her eyebrows. Taeyeon smiled and brushed away a few hair strands from Jessica’s face.

“I can. So what do you want me to do?”

“I don’t know. Do it your way.” Jessica said and shrugged her shoulders.

“Okay.” Taeyeon said and leaned her head back to take a better look of Jessica’s face. She suddenly smiled and lied her head down to stare into Jessica’s eyes.

“If you didn’t know this already, but I love it when you’re your normal self. I fell in love with that side of you, and nothing will ever change that fact. And people can say whatever they want about me. They can call me weird, desperate, or anything. But nothing of that will change the fact that you make me happy being you, and I love you for that.” Taeyeon said and smiled. She saw Jessica smiled and she felt less bad for not cheering Jessica up sooner.  

“But you do think I’m strange.” Jessica suddenly pointed out.

Taeyeon was taken aback by that. She blinked a few times before she started nodding her head, and came up with an explanation.

“Yes…I do think of you as strange, but not in a bad way, not in the way people call you weird. When I say you’re strange I mean it like you’re different from other people, the more common people. You’re unique. And I like that about you. Your unique side which I can’t find in other people.” Taeyeon explained. She saw a smile forming on Jessica’s lips and it brought a smile to her own.

“So don’t listen to other people. Don’t listen to stupid people. They don’t know anything about you. They’re just jealous you get to be happy while they don’t. Okay?” Taeyeon said and leaned closer until their noses touched. Jessica’s smile widened and she nodded her head.

“Good.” Taeyeon said and smiled wider as well.

The couple continued to stare at each other, getting lost in each other’s eyes as silence filled between them.

Jessica felt she had to do something for Taeyeon as well, thank the girl for cheering her up. She leaned closer to Taeyeon, closing the small gap between them and kissed the other girl. Kissing her as a thank you. Kissing her as a I love you. Kissing her as a display of affection for her. She just had to kiss her. Do something to show her gratitude for Taeyeon existence.

When she pulled away from the kiss Taeyeon’s cheeks had flushed, and a pleased grin appeared on her lips when she noticed it. She noticed a small smile appeared on Taeyeon’s lips again and she kissed the girl once more.

“Jessica,” Taeyeon said between their kisses.

“Hmm?”

“I have something to ask you.”

“If it’s about if I’m feeling better, then yes, I do.”

“No, it’s not that, that list on your desk, what is it?”

Jessica pulled away from the kiss, confusion displayed on her face. She slowly sat up to see what Taeyeon was talking about, her eyes widened in surprise as she saw the girl had pieced together the list she had torn apart.

“Ah, that list…” Jessica said and got out of her bed to go to her desk. Taeyeon followed her and looked at the pieces of paper Jessica was touching with her fingers.

“Remember when we were in middle school and I said we should do a list of things we want to do with a special person?” Jessica said and turned to the girl.

“Yeah, I remember that.” Taeyeon said and nodded her head.

“Well, you’re my special person so I wanted to do that list with you. And I kind of did.” Jessica said and looked down on the paper pieces. Taeyeon did too and let out a sigh.

“Sica, when we talked about that list we said we’d do it together with the special person, not keep the list a secret. I had no idea about this list you were making.” Taeyeon said. Jessica nodded her head as she knew that and looked back up at Taeyeon.

“But you’ve been with me during all those things. I ate a whole chocolate cake with you, I went dancing in the rain with you, I rejected some guys for you, I drew something for you and you drew something for me, we did all these things here. Oh, I also asked the person I have feelings for to be my girlfriend, and I also kissed the person I love, so yeah, everything on the list has been with you.” Jessica said and looked at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon didn’t know how to react to it. She could only smile and shake her head as she realized that Jessica had been dragging her around for the last past months because of a list she had no idea about. But then, she was always dragged around so she didn’t see how she could have imagined it would be for something else.

“Well, we should make a new list. Together this time.” Taeyeon said and looked at the paper pieces. “But the list you made is important so we’ll just add that stuff as well.“

“Okay!” Jessica said cheerfully and started to rummage through the drawers on her desk to find a new paper they could write on. When she found one she fixed pens for them and grabbed Taeyeon’s hand. “Let’s go to the dining room.” She said and dragged Taeyeon with her.

The two girls entered the dining room where Krystal already was. The younger girl looked surprised up from her phone when her older sister and older sister’s girlfriend entered. Jessica looking much happier than what she had done when Krystal had seen her just lying in her bed.

A smile appeared on Krystal’s lips as the two girls busied themselves with the list and she continued with what she had done her phone and listened to all things the girls wrote down from their old list to the new list and a few new things they added.

“I’m out of ideas.” Taeyeon announced after twenty minutes and looked at the list that had become quite long. Some of the things were already crossed over as they had already done it, but they wrote them done as they felt those things were important.

“I have one more and then we’ll go with the list and add things along the way.” Jessica said and wrote her last thing down and pushed the paper towards Taeyeon. She saw a blush appear on the girl’s cheeks and she smiled.

“What do you think?”

“That you shouldn’t write down embarrassing things like that.”

“Why not? Kissing in the rain isn’t embarrassing?”

“Yeah, but…”

“Hey, Krys, is this embarrassing?”

“No! Don’t show her that!”

“What is–Oh my God unnie I didn’t need to know that!”

“What? Why is it so embarrassing?” Jessica took back the list from her sister. Krystal was shaking her head and Taeyeon had buried her face into her palms. Still confused she looked at the list.

“You’re the same as always, unnie.” Krystal said as she noticed Jessica still didn’t understand. The older girl looked at her and Krystal smiled at her. “Have fun with your list. I’m going to my room, I don’t want to hear something else that might make me think of things my sister does with her girlfriend.” Krystal said and left.

“I thought it was a natural thing to do.” Jessica said and looked at Taeyeon.

“It is, but remember Krystal is five years younger than you. There’s a chance she hasn’t even thought about doing that yet.” Taeyeon pointed out. 

“True.” Jessica said and looked at the paper. She grinned and turned towards Taeyeon, her bright expression brought a smile to Taeyeon’s lips and the girl lowered her head and shook it to hide it.

“Finish the list! I’m taking you out!” Taeyeon said and pointed at the list.

“You are?” Jessica asked surprised and turned towards her.

“Yes, and don’t look so surprised.” Taeyeon told the girl.

“You’ve planned something?”

“I have.”

Jessica looked even more surprised and earned a shove to her shoulder from the other girl.

“Stop looking so surprised. You act like I never make plans or go out of my free will.”

“But you don’t” Jessica said and smiled.

“It’s because you make my plans and always drag me outside.” Taeyeon reminded the girl. They looked at each other, a grin forming on Jessica’s lips and Taeyeon shaking her head at the expression.

“Finish the list and get dressed.” Taeyeon told the girl.

“Okay!”

Taeyeon shook her head with a small smile on her lips as she watched Jessica finishing up the list before getting ready.


---


When Jessica had gotten dressed and ready Taeyeon dragged her out of the house, keeping a tight hold on the girl’s hand. They passed a group of girls that had went to the same high school as them, and while Jessica lowered her head, Taeyeon kept her head high and brought the girl closer to her.

“Sica, you forgot to greet the tree.” Taeyeon pointed out.

“Ah,” Jessica looked up and turned towards the tree they had passed by. But she instantly stopped when she noticed the group of girls. A frown appeared on Taeyeon’s lips and she glanced at the group of girls that seemed to be watching them.

“Hi, Mr. Tree. How are you doing today?”

Jessica blinked shocked and turned towards the girl beside her. Taeyeon just looked at her and shrugged her shoulders.

“Your friends are my friends. No matter if they’re a tree or a human being.” Taeyeon said.

Jessica’s lips formed a smile and she turned towards the tree again. With a grin she placed one hand on it and looked up at it.

“Good day, Mr. Tree. I’m going to spend the day with my girlfriend.” Jessica said and smiled.

When Taeyeon watched the scene she could imagine the tree replaying to Jessica with a “that’s a nice way to spend the day!” just because she knew trees don’t judge people, no matter what they do. With a smile on her lips Taeyeon tugged on Jessica’s hand.

“Shall we go?” Taeyeon asked. She was given a nod from Jessica and she turned towards the tree again.

“Have a good day Mr. Tree!” Jessica said and began following her girlfriend. The two girls passed by a middle aged lady they remembered worked at the grocery store close to where they lived, the lady smiled at them and the two girls bowed to her with smiles on their faces as well.

Taeyeon continued to lead them to their destination. Jessica had no clue where they were heading, but she knew the way they were walking was leading to the park that was in the middle of the city. A smile formed on Jessica’s lips as she remembered this was the place their parents usually took them for outings when they were younger so they could play and hang out.

When they entered the park Taeyeon continued to lead the way but walked more slowly than before. Jessica looked around her, wondering why the girl had brought her here out of all places, or why Taeyeon even had brought her outside.

“Jessica! Taeyeon! Over here!” Jessica snapped her head the direction where the voice was coming from. Her eyes suddenly widened when she saw seven girls waiting for them by the pond in the park. One of the girls even had started to run towards them.

“Jessi!” Jessica felt Taeyeon let go of her hand when she was being engulfed in a big hug by the girl that had ran towards them.

“Taeyeon sent a text message to us telling us what had happened to you.” Tiffany said and distanced herself from Jessica to look at the girl. The latter could only blink surprised upon what the girl had said.

“If I could get my hands on the people that made you feel like that I’d rip them to pieces!” Tiffany said and formed her hand into a fist.

Jessica was left speechless. Not able to do anything. Not able to smile, not able to cry, not able to do anything but getting hugged by each girl that had showed up.

“Don’t let some stupid people’s words get to you. We like you just the way you are.” Hyoyeon that also had showed up said and patted Jessica’s shoulder.

Jessica looked at all the girls that were there. Yuri, Tiffany and Yoona that had went to the same high school as her was there, Sunny that had been working on the same part-time job as her was there, Seohyun that she always had disturbed in the city’s library was there, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung that went to the same college as her was there, and of course, Taeyeon her girlfriend and best friend since forever was also there.

A smile slowly started to form on Jessica’s lips, and her attention was drawn to the girl beside her when she felt her hand being squeezed. Taeyeon smiled at her and she finally could break into her infamous grin and turned to the other girls that also smiled at her.

“Thank you.” She said to them. She felt her words wasn’t enough, but she didn’t know what else to say than that. Her lips continued to be turned upwards in a smile, and the other girls seemed to think that that was enough.

“It’s no problem. We just wanted to show that you’re not alone and there’re people that like you exactly how you are.” Sooyoung said and patted Jessica’s head.

Jessica smiled wider and saw the girls returned her smile. She turned towards Taeyeon, the girl smiled at her and she squeezed Taeyeon’s hands that were in hers.

“Thank you.” Jessica said in a low tone only Taeyeon heard.

“It’s nothing.” Taeyeon assured her.

Jessica felt like this wasn’t nothing and thanking Taeyeon with simple words wasn’t enough either. She glanced towards the other girls and noticed some of them had turned their attention away from her. A grin appeared on her lips and she tugged on Taeyeon’s hand and made the girl stumble and crash against her body.

She noticed a blush on Taeyeon’s cheeks and she smiled pleased by it and leaned closer to the girl.

“Thank you.” She said against Taeyeon’s lips before she kissed them. It felt like Taeyeon would pull away from the kiss at first but she instead returned her kiss.

They kissed until they began hearing applauds. Taeyeon startled and embarrassed pulled away from the kiss and noticed the other girls had started to clap their hands. Jessica smiled by their action, while Taeyeon was blushing madly and hid her red face in the crook of Jessica’s neck.

“This is embarrassing.” Taeyeon mumbled against Jessica’s neck. The other girl just chuckled and hugged Taeyeon in a comforting manner.

“It’s not that bad. You should get used to it.” Jessica said.

“Why…?”

“Because I’ll continue to kiss you around people.”

Taeyeon was quiet for a moment. Jessica felt a pair of arms wrap around her waist and the girl in her arms shifted a bit in her position.

“Let’s see who kisses who around people.”

“Is that a challenge?”

“Put it on the list.”

Jessica chuckled by Taeyeon’s words and hugged the girl closer. She noticed the other girls that watched them was also smiling and she couldn’t help but feel she was about to burst in happiness at that moment.