Family memeber

Without you it's not the same

The girl held up the painting in front of her. A thoughtful look on her face as she moved her arms to the left, and a bit to the right until she stopped. She smiled and put the painting on her bed and went up to the wall.

She took the hammer she had found in the hallway and the nail and placed the nail against the wall and the hammer on top of it.

After hitting the nail a few times it was stable and she backed away from the wall. She nodded pleased and picked up the painting she hung on the nail she just had put up.

Seeing the painting didn’t fall down she smiled pleased and grabbed the hammer on her bed and made her way out of her dorm room to leave the hammer where she had found it.


---


Jessica walked with a smile through the hallway on the campus. When she was getting closer to her lecture hall two familiar girls came into view and her smile widened and she jogged up to the two girls that was currently chatting with each other.

“Hi guys!” Jessica greeted the two girls that turned towards her with a smile.

“You look energetic.” Hyoyeon commented.

“Yeah, what were you doing in your room this morning? It sounded like you were going to break down the wall between our rooms.” Sooyoung said and chuckled.

“This morning? I was putting up a few paintings.” Jessica said and grinned.

Hyoyeon and Sooyoung exchanged glances before looking back at Jessica that was glowing by happiness.

“It’s good that you have energy so early in the morning. But remember that not all students here likes when people make noises so early in the morning.” Sooyoung said and patted Jessica’s head.

“Ah, I know. I just thought that I could help the students living in the dorms next to me wake up.” Jessica said and grinned.

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon exchanged glances, not being sure if Jessica was joking or actually being serious. But nevertheless they turned back to the girl with smiles on their faces.

“Don’t ever change Jessica.” Sooyoung laughed and placed an arm around the girl.

“Don’t worry. I’m not thinking about changing.” Jessica promised and beamed a smile at the girl. Sooyoung chuckled and ruffled the girl’s hair.

“That’s good. We like you just the way you are.” Sooyoung said and released the girl as they had to enter the lecture hall and find some seats to sit by.


---


The lone girl in the library calmly read the book in her hands, not minding all the other students that walked by and didn’t spare her a glance. She was used to it, and she preferred it this way. No attention on her from people she wasn’t familiar with was good.

She turned another page, not even hearing the group of giggling students that passed her by. She was too immersed in the book, and she didn’t even care what they were giggling about.

She noticed someone coming towards the corner of her eye, but she didn’t mind the person as she thought it was just another student that would pass by. She was after all sitting close to the entrance to the library, so having students walk back and forth where she was sitting wasn’t strange.

She didn’t pay the girl any attention until she noticed her taking a seat by her table, right opposite her. It was then Taeyeon looked up from her book to see who actually had taken a seat by her table.

“Yo.” Sooyoung said and held up her hand.

“Hi.” Taeyeon returned the girl’s greeting and went back to read.

Silence settled between them as Sooyoung busied herself with doing something on her phone and Taeyeon was too interested in the story to let go of the book.

A sigh escaped the taller girl by the table and she bored watched Taeyeon that was reading. Another sigh escaped her lips and she glanced at her phone before looking up at the girl.

“Did you know your girlfriend woke up at seven in the morning and began putting up things on the walls in her room?” Sooyoung asked in an attempt in striking up a conversation.

“I don’t have a girlfriend.” Taeyeon stated without looking up from her book.

Sooyoung’s mouth dropped open in shock and horror, not expecting that to be said. She blinked surprised and stared at the girl opposite her. She thought back to how Jessica had acted when she had met her during their lecture, but the girl had seemed as cheerful as always.

She observed Taeyeon for a while, trying to see if Taeyeon looked sad. But she couldn’t see anything that seemed different with the girl either.

Feeling eyes on her Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and glanced at Sooyoung that stared at her. Seeing how shocked the girl looked she sighed and lowered the book she was reading.

“Me and Jessica got engaged.” Taeyeon said.

Sooyoung’s mouth dropped open again in shock. Taeyeon just shook her head at the taller girl’s reaction and went back to read while she waited for Sooyoung to recover from her shock.

“So…she’s not your girlfriend…but your fiancée?!”

“Yeah, like I said. I don’t have a girlfriend. I have a fiancée now.” Taeyeon explained simply.

“Oh my God! Do you know how scared I got for a second?! I thought you had broken up or something! Oh my God. Don’t give me heart attacks…” Sooyoung exclaimed and held her hand over her heart.

Taeyeon shook her head at the taller girl’s reaction and calmly continued to read her book while Sooyoung was on her phone, doing her own thing, before she resumed staring at Taeyeon that didn’t pay her any attention.

“Can I ask you something?” Sooyoung asked and continued to stare at the quiet girl that was immersed in her book.

“Sure.” Taeyeon said without looking at the girl.

“Have you and Jessica ever fought?” Sooyoung asked and tilted her head to the side. She couldn’t remember the two girls ever having a major fight, and she had become friends with them in their freshman year and then they never had a fight which involved avoiding each other and not talking for a few days.

“We always fight about something.” Taeyeon replied and looked up at Sooyoung.

“Nooo, I don’t mean like your daily banters. I mean like a real fight that ended with one of you getting upset or hurt.” Sooyoung said as she knew that Taeyeon and Jessica always had different opinions about things, mainly about things Jessica wanted to do and Taeyeon had to get dragged along with.

“Ooh…that has happened once.” Taeyeon said and lowered her eyes to her book again.

“Once?”

“Yeah, I said something and it upset Jessica. I was feeling really guilty about it afterwards…” Taeyeon said and bit her lower lip. She didn’t exactly want to remember that incident, but she guessed it was part of her punishment as she had caused it to happen.

“Oooh, what did you say?”

“I asked her if we were going to eat the tomatoes she had grown.” Taeyeon said and looked up at the girl opposite her.

Sooyoung blinked a few times before she registered what Taeyeon had said. She had to remind herself that it was Jessica they were talking about and this girl wasn’t the kind of girl that got upset if you insulted her hair.

“She got upset because of that?” Sooyoung asked and leaned back in her seat.

“Well, she got more hurt because I said it. But I apologized and made up for it by taking pictures of the tomatoes and tomato plants, and I also made a painting for Jessica.” Taeyeon said and returned to read her book.

Sooyoung continued to stare at the girl. Her lips turning downwards into a frown and she held back the urge to kick the girl under the table.

“Taeyeon”

“Hmm?”

“Can I be you? Can I have your life? Can I have your relationship?” Sooyoung leaned over the table and stared intently at the girl.

“What? Why?” Taeyeon looked surprised up at the taller girl that let out a sigh and leaned back in her chair again. Feeling slightly frustrated when it seemed Taeyeon didn’t seem to get how good she had it.

“It just seems so easy. You’re engaged and none of you doubt that you won’t be together in the future. Don’t you have any problems with each other?” Sooyoung asked and turned to the other girl.

“No, not really.”

“I envy you…”

“There’s nothing to envy.”

“But usual you have something about your partner that you’re annoyed by or have problems with. Or something you always fight about. But from what you say you don’t have that.”

“Well…If I had a problem with something Jessica do I wouldn’t be telling you about it, it wouldn’t exactly solve it. I’d go to Jessica and talk about it instead, that way we might solve it, you know.”

“I want to punch you…you say there’s nothing to envy while being in like the perfect relationship. You should be ashamed.”

“Take your envy elsewhere.”

“I’d if I wasn’t bored and I can actually make time pass with you.”

“It doesn’t sound healthy to pass time by being envious of someone’s relationship.”

“Don’t mind how I live my life. You live your life too perfectly and couldn’t possibly understand what we other people go through.”

Taeyeon shook her head and turned her way towards the library entrance when she noticed a girl that quickly stood out among the rest of the students entered. A smile appeared on Taeyeon’s lips when she laid her eyes on the girl that was happily skipping towards the table.

“Hi!” Jessica said and took a seat beside the table next to Taeyeon. The girl turned to Sooyoung with a smile before turning back to Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon!” Jessica said and grabbed the girl’s arm. Taeyeon blinked and looked at Jessica that seemed excited over something.

“Y-yeah?”

“Quick question: what’s your favorite vegetable?”

“Uh….”

“Quick, quick, quick!”

“Peas.”

“I see...you have to help me with something.”

“Because pea is my favorite vegetable…?”

“No, you’d have had to help me no matter what you had answered.”

“Hah…” Taeyeon watched as Jessica helped gathering her things and putting them in her bag before turning to Sooyoung.

“Well, we have to go somewhere. See you around Sooyoung.” Jessica smiled at the taller girl before grabbing Taeyeon’s hand and dragging the girl with her.

“Bye guys.” Sooyoung waved off the two girls with a smile on her lips as she watched Jessica dragging Taeyeon with her to God knows where.


---


Eyebrows furrowed as she stared at the front of the small packet in her hand. One of her eyebrows raised and she turned the packet around, reading a few instructions before turning it around again.

“You want to grow peas?” Taeyeon asked and looked up at the girl that was searching for a flower pot.

“Yeah!” Jessica said and turned to Taeyeon with a grin.  

“Why?”

“Because I feel bored when I have nothing to take care of. At home I could always take care of the tomato plants or my mom’s plants but I don’t have anything at the dorm.” Jessica explained and lifted up one of the flower pots to get a better look of it.  

Taeyeon nodded her head and looked down at the seed packet she was carrying. “I see.” She said and waited until Jessica had found a flower pot she was satisfied with and gotten everything else they needed for her to be able to grow seeds.  


---


With soil, a flower pot and seeds the two girls went back to Jessica’s dorm room where the girl began filling the flower pot with soil and putting a few seeds in it and put a bit of water in it.

When Jessica was done she looked pleased at the flower pot that was now on top of her desk. She turned with a proud smile to the girl that was sitting on her bed, reading a book, and didn’t look the least bit interested in what she was doing.

Jessica’s smile momentarily faded and she turned to her desk. Her smile returned when she found a paper and pen, which she brought with her when she went to her bed. She tackled the girl that was already on top of it, which made Taeyeon let out a groan as she now had Jessica on top of her.

“Jessica…”

“I need your help with something.” Jessica said and held out the paper and pen she had in her hands. Taeyeon sighed and Jessica grinned when Taeyeon had agreed to whatever it was she needed help with.

“What is it you need help with?”

“I want to name it.”

“Okay.” Taeyeon said and moved to a better position to be able to see what Jessica was writing.

“I’ve already decided to take a character from your name.” Jessica said and turned to Taeyeon with a grin.

“Then you’re halfway there.” Taeyeon said and leaned back in her position.

“I know, but I want you to help me out. Like with the tomato plants.”

“I see.” Taeyeon said and scooted away from Jessica to be able to sit up. She grabbed the pen and paper from the girl and looked at the paper where ‘Tae’ already was written.

A thoughtful look appeared on her face. Her eyebrows furrowed and she let the pen hover above the paper. Finally coming up with something Taeyeon wrote down what she had in mind and handed the paper back to Jessica.

“Taehyun?” Jessica read out and looked up at Taeyeon that had gone back to reading.

“Yeah.” Taeyeon said and glanced at Jessica.

A smile formed on Jessica’s lips and she took the paper and pen with her as she went back to her desk. Taeyeon glanced up at the other girl to see what Jessica was doing, seeing Jessica cutting out a nametag and taping it on the flower pot a smile formed on her lips and she went back to read.

“Taeyeon look!” Jessica said proudly and held out the flower pot towards Taeyeon.

“Good job.” Taeyeon said after looking at the flower pot.

“We just made another baby!” Jessica said and held the flower pot in her arms. Taeyeon’s eyes widened by the words and a small blush crept its way across her cheeks.

“We make awfully a lot of babies…” Taeyeon mumbled.

Jessica only grinned and took a seat next to the other girl on the bed. She still had the flower pot in her hands, and continued to look at it with a proud smile on her face.

“Our family just gets bigger and bigger.” Jessica said and looked at Taeyeon.

“It sure does.”

“Do you think Jess, Kim Jr. Cameron and Harley would like Taehyun?”

“They better do.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s their younger sibling.”

“But what if they don’t? What if they don’t like Taehyun because it’s a pea plant?”

“I don’t think that’s a risk.”

“Why?”

“Because you taught them to like living beings no matter what species they are.”

A smile spread across Jessica’s lips and she turned to the girl that still was reading. She looked back at the flower pot before looking back at Taeyeon again. She leaned her head against the other girl’s shoulder and felt Taeyeon’s head lean against hers.

“Do you really believe I was able to teach four tomato plants that?”

“Well…you were able to teach me that so why not? I think it’s harder teaching humans that than plants.”

“Why?”

“Because humans tend to think they’re better than all the other living things in the world, so they look down on the weaker living things, like pea plants for example. And that makes them unable to understand why they even should care about other living things.”

Jessica was silent as she listened to Taeyeon’s explanation. Her eyes stared at the flower pot, her fingers brushing against the pot’s surface.

“Do you understand why you should care about other living things?” Jessica asked.

“Because all living things have beauty.”

A smile formed on Jessica’s lips and she looked at Taeyeon’s side profile. “Do you say that because that’s what I want to hear or because you really think that?”   

“Because I think that, and spending 17 years with you you’ve showed me that as well.”

Jessica smiled pleased and let one hand go of the flower pot to hold one of Taeyeon’s.

“I like how you think.” Jessica said her smile widening.

“I’m glad to hear that.”

Jessica let out a small giggled and continued to stare at the flower pot with the seed that would grow into a pea plant, while Taeyeon read her book and enjoyed to have Jessica beside her.