Christmas gifts

Without you it's not the same

“Waaaaaaaaaaake uuuuuuuuuuuuuup!”

Taeyeon let out a groan when she felt a body landing on top of her on the bed. Her eyebrows furrowed before she slowly opened her eyes to take in the sight of Jessica grinned down at her. A tired sigh escaped her lips and she turned her face away from the girl.

“Let me sleep.” Taeyeon said.

“But we’re going to open our Christmas gifts! Here’s the one from me to you.”

Taeyeon felt something cold and flat being placed against her cheek. Her eyebrows furrowed again and she turned towards Jessica that was holding the wrapped gift in front of her. She stared at the rectangular package for a few seconds before she closed her eyes and turned away.

“It’s either a book or a game.” Taeyeon said.

“You won’t find out what it is until you open it!” Jessica said. “Also my mom got you something as well.” Jessica said and placed a bigger packet on top of Taeyeon’s stomach.

“I don’t feel like opening gifts now, Sica…”

“But I want to open my gifts!”

“Just open them then…”

“But I want you to watch.”

“Why?”

“More fun. And I won’t feel as lonely.” Jessica stated and bent down to pick up her Christmas gifts she had placed on the floor until she had woken Taeyeon up.

“Do you know what your parents got for me?” Jessica asked and turned around the Christmas gifts Taeyeon’s mother had given her.

“No idea.” Taeyeon mumbled, already on the way to fall asleep again.

“Then it will be a surprise for you too! What if it’s something we both can enjoy?” Jessica said and patted Taeyeon’s stomach to keep the girl awake.

“I doubt it.” Taeyeon mumbled and turned her head towards Jessica.

“We’ll never know until I’ve opened it.” Jessica said and grinned. “Should I open your present or your parents’ present first?”

“Open the present you got from your parents first.” Taeyeon mumbled.

“Good idea!” Jessica exclaimed and brought out another package and turned it around. “I don’t remember telling my parents what I wished for.” Jessica said and furrowed her eyebrows.

“Seems like you didn’t need to.”

“But now I have no idea what it could be!”

“Just open it…”

“Alright.” Jessica said and began to carefully open the wrapping. Taeyeon cracked her eyes open to show she was the company Jessica wanted when she opened her gifts.

A big smile formed on Jessica’s lips as she had finished opening the wrapping paper. She held out the gift she had unwrapped towards Taeyeon that had to blink to make out what was being held in front of her.

“Look! It’s a sweater!” Jessica exclaimed. It indeed was a sweater, with the words ‘I love fruits’ on it. A tired chuckle escaped Taeyeon’s lips and she moved to sit up.

“You that are dressed, can you hand me my shirt over there.” Taeyeon said and pointed at the article of clothing on the floor.

“Why don’t you get it yourself?”

“Because it’s cold. Besides, you’re the one that took it off.”

“But you wanted me to undress you.”

“…Jessica…give me the shirt or I’ll kick you out of bed.”

“You’re awfully cranky for someone that just woke up on Christmas Day.” Jessica pointed out but went to pick up the shirt Taeyeon wanted. She handed the shirt to the girl and watched as Taeyeon put it on. Suddenly a wide grin appeared on her lips which made Taeyeon look at her with a raised eyebrow.

“What?” Taeyeon asked as Jessica didn’t stop grinning or staring.

“Taeyeon, look to your left for a second.” Jessica said a grin still plastered on her lips. Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows in confusion but did as she was told and turned her head to the left. Jessica leaned closer to the girl, pushing Taeyeon’s hair back from her neck, her grin widening by her discovery.

“What is it?” Taeyeon asked as Jessica didn’t say anything.

“Taeyeon”

“What?”

“I’ve accidentally given you a hickey.”

“YOU’VE GIVEN ME A WHAT?!” Taeyeon pushed Jessica to the side, running towards her bedroom door only to stop in her tracks as she realized she had nothing on her lower body. She turned around picking up the nearest sweatpants she could find and pulled them on before she ran out of her room to the bathroom.

Jessica was left in Taeyeon’s bedroom. Biting her lower lip to prevent herself from laughing. Taeyeon came back to the room, in a much calmer manner, but looked way more furious than before. Jessica’s eyebrows rose as Taeyeon closed the bedroom door behind her as she entered the room.

“I told you to be careful!” Taeyeon yelled.

“It was an accident.” Jessica defended herself.

“How can this be an accident?!” Taeyeon said and pointed at her neck where a clear red mark was seen.

“I didn’t think it would leave a mark.” Jessica said and shrugged her shoulders. Taeyeon was far from fine with it and walked past her fiancée and grabbed her Christmas gifts before she turned back to Jessica.

“You can open your gifts by yourself. Also, you’re not getting any from me. You’ve clearly gotten what you wanted.” Taeyeon said and marched out of her bedroom.

Jessica was left in the room, looking the way Taeyeon had gone. She listened to the steps that suddenly stopped and hurriedly started to walk back towards the bedroom. Jessica’s face brightened when she saw Taeyeon enter the bedroom again.

“Don’t smile. You’ve done nothing good.” Taeyeon said and went to her desk. She grabbed the scarf Jessica had given her the day before and wrapped it around her neck, covering up the mark Jessica had given her, before she turned to leave again.

“Your parents will think it’s strange of you to wear a scarf indoors.” Jessica pointed out.

“I have no other choice do I?!” Taeyeon barked and went downstairs. Jessica picked up the Christmas gifts Taeyeon had left and hurriedly went after the girl.

“Taeyeon!” Jessica shouted after the girl in hope of making Taeyeon stop in her tracks.

“Leave me alone. I’m angry.” Taeyeon mumbled as she had reached the end of the stairs. Jessica went after the girl, stopping only when she had grabbed ahold of Taeyeon’s arm.

“I said it was an accident.” Jessica said and tried to spin Taeyeon around.

“Yes, I’ve heard it was an accident. But I don’t understand how it can be an accident.” Taeyeon argued.

“Omo, omo. You girls are very loud.” A not very familiar voice said which made Taeyeon and Jessica turn away from each other. Their eyes landed on an elderly woman that was smiling at them. Taeyeon’s mouth opened in surprise while Jessica’s eyes widened.

“Grandma…” Taeyeon said after she had recovered from her shock.

“Hello. Won’t your grandma get a hug?” The elderly woman said and extended her arms. Taeyeon looked hesitant at first but eventually she handed the Christmas gifts she was holding to Jessica to be able to hug her grandmother.

“Omo, Taeyeon you’ve lost weight.” The elderly woman said and pulled the girl away from her while she started to feel Taeyeon’s arms. Her eyebrows suddenly knotted together and she gently touched the scarf around Taeyeon’s neck.

“Why are you wearing a scarf?” She asked.

Taeyeon instantly blushed and if she had been able to she would’ve hit Jessica by now. She smiled and tried to fix the scarf around her neck.

“I’ve got a sore throat.” Taeyeon lied. She saw the elderly woman looking skeptically at her.

“Really? You yell quite a lot for someone with a sore throat, dear.” The elderly woman pointed out and walked past the now madly blushing Taeyeon as she went up to the girl that had been watching them. A smile graced the elderly woman’s lips as she stopped in front of Jessica.

“And you’re of course Jessica.” The elderly woman said. Jessica smiled and tried to extend a hand towards the woman even though she was holding all the gifts.

“Yes, I’m Jessica.” Jessica introduced herself.

“I don’t know if you remember but this isn’t the first time we’ve met.” Taeyeon’s grandmother said. “I met you once on one of Taeyeon’s birthdays. But it was just a brief meeting. It’s nice to see you’ve grown up into such a fine woman.” The elderly woman said. Her words brought a wide smile to Jessica’s lips and she looked over to Taeyeon that was rolling her eyes behind her grandmother’s back.

“I also heard about the engagement.” The elderly woman continued and looked from Jessica to Taeyeon. “I’m quite disappointed in you Taeyeon-ah.” The elderly woman said and pointed at Taeyeon that looked surprised upon her grandmother’s words.

“Girl or boy, not matter what your preference is, I always expected you to come and introduce the person to your grandparents before you got engaged.” Taeyeon’s grandmother added and crossed her arms.

Taeyeon relaxed as she thought her grandmother was disappointed over a whole different reason. She sighed and brushed her fingers through her messy hair.

“I’d have come by if we had time for it. But the engagement wasn’t planned and it was kind of in the spur of the moment.” Taeyeon explained.

“Spur of the moment?” The elderly woman looked confused. She turned from her granddaughter to Jessica in hope of getting a better explanation.

“Taeyeon had just deflowered me and I made her propose to me to take responsibility for what she had done.” Was the words that came out of Jessica’s mouth. Taeyeon’s grandmother looked like she was about to faint and Taeyeon didn’t look far from her grandmother’s state either.

“That wasn’t how it went!” Taeyeon protested.

“Taeyeon, stop yelling.” The elderly woman told her granddaughter. She eyed Taeyeon up and down before she turned back to Jessica that was smiling. She suddenly grabbed Jessica’s free hand and looked the girl in the eyes.

“Thank you, for accepting Taeyeon. You live nearby, right? Are your parents at home? Is it okay if I speak with them?” Taeyeon’s grandmother asked.

“Of course. I live in the house next door. Both my parents are at home.” Jessica said and smiled.

“Good.” Taeyeon’s grandmother gave Jessica’s hand a squeeze before she released it and went to the direction of the kitchen. “Youngsook-ah, do we have anything we can give Jessica’s parents?” The elderly woman asked on her way to the kitchen.

“Why would you need to give Jessica’s parents something?” Taeyeon’s mother appeared in the doorway of the kitchen and looked at her mother that walked up to her.

“I need to speak with them. Thank them for accepting our Taeyeon.” The elderly woman explained before she entered the kitchen. A confused look appeared on Mrs. Kim’s face and she looked at Taeyeon and Jessica that was looking her way.

“Taeyeon, why are you wearing a scarf?” Her mother suddenly asked.

“I’ve a sore throat.” Taeyeon mumbled.

“You yell quite a lot for someone with a sore throat. I’ll make you some tea.” The mother said and entered the kitchen again. Taeyeon was now frowning and had a small blush on her cheeks. She turned to Jessica that was still smiling.

“Stop smiling. There’s nothing to smile about here.” Taeyeon mumbled and made her way to the living room with Jessica trailing behind.

“I’m sorry.” Jessica apologized.

“And that you lied about our engagement is even worse.” Taeyeon said.

“But you lied about why you’re wearing the scarf.”

“That’s different!” Taeyeon spun around and faced Jessica that almost bumped into her if she hadn’t stopped as well. “That’s completely different. Why I’m wearing a scarf isn’t important, because once the hickey is gone I won’t be wearing the scarf indoors anymore and no one will ask about it, but our engagement Jessica, that’s a life time thing. People will ask us about it all the time. They will ask “how come you choose Taeyeon? How come you choose Jessica?” and if we tell them we’re getting married because we took each other’s ity it loses the whole meaning about it, and people will most likely look down on our marriage. They’ll probably think it won’t last for long.” Taeyeon said and met Jessica’s eyes.  

Jessica was silent and Taeyeon was afraid the girl didn’t understand. A sigh escaped the latter’s lips and she shook her head and was about to turn away from Jessica but the girl grabbed her wrist.

The Christmas gifts were forgotten as Jessica just dumped them on the couch and dragged Taeyeon with her to the kitchen. Confused Taeyeon just followed the girl as she entered the kitchen where Taeyeon’s mother and grandmother were busy baking something together.

“We’re not getting married because of that.” Jessica suddenly said and earned the attention of Taeyeon’s mother and grandmother. The two women turned around towards the couple that just had entered the kitchen.

“And Taeyeon doesn’t have a sore throat. She’s just covering up the hickey I accidentally gave her.” Jessica took off the scarf around Taeyeon’s neck, showing the mark she had left on her fiancée’s neck the other night.

“And about the engagement. It’s true it was in the spur of the moment, but it wasn’t because of the reason I said. It’s because we want to spend our lives together, because we love each other and understand each other. And I might have been the one making Taeyeon propose to me, but I’d never had made anyone else propose to me. And if I wasn’t sure Taeyeon wanted to spend her life with me I wouldn’t have made her do it. So…don’t think lowly of our engagement…because we’re getting married because we love each other...not because of something else…” Jessica said.

Both Mrs. Kim and her mother looked shocked at the couple. The muffins they were baking were completely forgotten and they felt unable to tear their eyes away from the two girls that stood in the kitchen.

Taeyeon’s grandmother was the first one to actually make some movement. She calmly wiped her hands on the apron she was wearing before she made her way to Jessica and Taeyeon. She had a serious expression on her face as she stopped in front of Jessica.

Taeyeon looked worriedly from her grandmother to Jessica, worried about what would happen. She glanced at her mother that looked just as worried as she did before she turned back to Jessica and the elderly woman.

“You,” Taeyeon’s grandmother started, still not tearing her eyes away from Jessica. “Come with the best Christmas gift anyone could ask for.” The elderly woman ended and smiled widely. Taeyeon relaxed by her grandmother’s words and Jessica started to smile as she was brought in for a hug by Taeyeon’s grandmother.

“It’s such a relief to know my granddaughter has found someone that loves her for who she is.” The elderly woman said before she pulled Jessica away from the hug. Her eyebrows suddenly knotted together as she started to feel Jessica’s arms in the same manner she had done with Taeyeon’s.

“You’re also very thin.” The elderly woman pointed out.

“It’s probably because– “ Taeyeon managed to cover Jessica’s mouth before the girl had given out information Taeyeon would rather keep away from her grandmother’s ears. Her grandmother looked puzzled at her granddaughter upon the action.

“We don’t have time to eat in college.” Taeyeon said and smiled. The elderly woman looked skeptically at her and she glanced at Jessica before she looked back at her granddaughter.

“Maybe between two females does burn more calories. Too bad I didn’t think about trying it back in my days.” The elderly woman said, making both Taeyeon and her mother gape at her while Jessica burst out laughing.

“Oh, don’t look so shocked. The mark on Taeyeon’s neck says everything about what activities she’s engaged in with her fiancée. And frankly, I don’t mind. She’s twenty-one, and I don’t expect her to wait until her wedding night, because I know someone else in this house that didn’t do it.” The elderly woman said and looked at her daughter that suddenly blushed.

“Mom!” Mrs. Kim whined, feeling embarrassed about what her mother was saying.

“You have no right to complain.” The elderly woman waved off her daughter before she went back to what she had done before being interrupted by the young couple.

“Taeyeon, I’m very happy for you, dear. And I don’t mind what you’re doing with your fiancée, but please, lock the door to your room. I might have seen your before, but I certainly don’t expect to see your fiancée’s.” The elderly woman finished.

Taeyeon started to blush madly and she turned to Jessica who looked surprised as well.

“We didn’t lock the door last night, did we?” Taeyeon asked.

“Seems like we didn’t.” Jessica said and turned to Taeyeon with a smile.

“How could you forget to lock the door?! You were the one that entered last!”

“Omo! Taeyeon! Don’t be so loud. Take your bickering elsewhere if you’re going to be so loud.” Taeyeon’s grandmother said.

Taeyeon clamped shut and frowned. A smile appeared on Taeyeon’s grandmother’s face and she glanced at the couple before turning back to her task.

“Besides, you two looked really cute together while you were hugging each other in your sleep.” The elderly woman added.

Taeyeon began to blush once again and she snatched the scarf Jessica was still holding and covered her face with it while she left the kitchen. Taeyeon’s grandmother turned around and smiled at Jessica that smiled back at her before going after Taeyeon that had left for the living room.

Jessica found Taeyeon curled up on the couch, hiding her blushing face under the scarf. Jessica smiled and took a seat beside the other girl, her hand reaching up to the scarf to remove it from Taeyeon’s face but only got her hand swatted away.

“My grandmother saw you …” Taeyeon suddenly mumbled. Jessica smiled when it turned out Taeyeon was still talking to her and she placed her chin on Taeyeon’s knee.

“Well, we’re both females, and I’m sure your grandmother has seen other female bodies.” Jessica said.

Taeyeon uncovered her eyes and looked at Jessica. A frown appeared on her lips and she continued to stare at her fiancée that was smiling at her.

“But your body is only for me to see.” Taeyeon mumbled. Jessica grinned wider and lifted her chin off of Taeyeon’s knee and made another attempt of removing the scarf. This time Taeyeon didn’t swat away her hands and Jessica successfully managed to remove it to uncover the blush and frown Taeyeon had been hiding under it.

“Maybe,” Jessica said and placed the scarf to the side. “You’ll have to make a bigger effort in keeping my body away from the eyes of others.” Jessica said and leaned in to steal a kiss from the frowning girl.

“How?” Taeyeon raised an eyebrow. Jessica smiled and let her eyes travel down to Taeyeon’s neck, she leaned closer till their foreheads met and her hand went up to grace the skin on Taeyeon’s neck.

“Well, I noticed that you were quick with covering your neck when I left my love mark there. Maybe if you did the same I’d have to cover myself up.” Jessica said and looked into Taeyeon’s eyes. She could see Taeyeon’s cheeks turn an even brighter shade of red, and she grinned.

“Why don’t I just wrap you in wrapping paper?” Taeyeon mumbled.

“That wouldn’t quite be the same.” Jessica said and kissed Taeyeon’s pouting lips.  “Besides, wrapping paper can tear so I’ll be exposed pretty soon anyway.”

“Or,” Taeyeon began and continued to look into Jessica’s eyes. “I’ll just have to deal with others being able to see you, but be grateful I’m the only one that’s allowed to touch you.” Taeyeon said. A wide smile appeared on Jessica’s lips upon Taeyeon’s words.

“Will you be able to do that?” She asked and observed Taeyeon’s expression.

“I won’t know until I try.” Taeyeon said and looked away from Jessica’s gaze. A smile appeared on Jessica’s lips and she kissed Taeyeon’s forehead.

“If you’re not able to, be honest with me and tell me.” Jessica said after she had pulled away.

“Why? What would happen if I’m not able to deal with it?”

“I’d have to make up to you for it, of course!” Jessica said and beamed a smile.

“How would you make up for it?”

Jessica grinned and leaned closer to Taeyeon. “It would ruin the surprise if I tell you.” Jessica whispered and leaned back in time of catching Taeyeon frown.

“Since when did you become a tease?” Taeyeon asked and frowned.

“Just now.” Jessica said and grabbed Taeyeon’s hand and intertwined their fingers. “I learned it from the master of teasing.” Jessica said and raised her eyebrows.

“Who is the master of teasing?”

“You are.”

“I don’t tease.”

“You do. If I had filmed what happened last night I’d have proof.”

“I didn’t tease.”

“You did.”

“How?”

“Acting oblivious.”

“That’s not teasing.”

“It is. It made me unable to do what I wanted to do.”

“But you got what you wanted in the end.”

“Yes, after the master of teasing had stopped teasing.”

“I didn’t tease…”

“You did!”

“Fine…I did. But only because you’re the only one I can tease.”

A triumphant grin appeared on Jessica’s lips and she released Taeyeon’s hand to be able to wrap her arms around Taeyeon’s waist in a hug instead.

“Master of teasing.” Jessica said and grinned at the girl.

“Then you’re the God of teasing.” Taeyeon sighed and wrapped her arms around Jessica’s neck.

“But I don’t tease you.” Jessica said.

“You do. You tease me all the time. You call me cute, and make me blush. It’s teasing.”

“No, I compliment you and you get embarrassed.”

“You know I’ll get embarrassed and do it anyway. Especially in front of people.”

“It’s because I want to show how cute my fiancée is.”

Taeyeon got mum and she looked away from Jessica. Feeling she had won this argument Jessica pulled Taeyeon closer until both of them were lying on the couch.

“Am I teasing you?” Jessica asked after a moment of silence.

“You’re the queen of compliments.” Taeyeon mumbled, still unable to face Jessica. A grin appeared on Jessica’s lips and she buried her face in the crook of Taeyeon’s neck.

“Told you I didn’t tease you.”

“Shut up…”

Jessica smiled against the skin of Taeyeon’s neck, placing a kiss before she looked back up at Taeyeon.

“We forgot about the Christmas gifts.” Jessica suddenly said. Taeyeon sighed and brought Jessica’s head down to rest on her chest.

“The Christmas gifts can wait. I don’t want to leave this position just yet.” Taeyeon said and wrapped her arms around the girl on top of her.

Jessica smiled satisfied and responded by wrapping her arms around Taeyeon’s waist. She closed her eyes and listened to the rhythmic beat of Taeyeon’s heart as both of them lied on the couch, enjoying the presence of each other.