Shirt

Without you it's not the same

The brunette girl stared at the plastic bag with the white clothes inside. Her eyebrows furrowed as she picked up one of them, staring at what she had in her hand for a few seconds before she let it fall back down.

An idea popped up in her head when she had stared at the clothes for a few minutes. With a grin forming on her lips she went from her bed to her desk, bringing out the piece of paper she had under her laptop and taking a pen. Her head glanced on the plastic bag before she looked back at the paper. Her lips formed a smile as she began writing.


---


“Taeeeeeeeeeeeyeooooooooooooooon!” Taeyeon looked startled up from the book she was reading. Her head turned left and right to locate the owner of the voice that had called her name. When she didn’t see anyone she slowly went back to read but looked around her one last time before she let her eyes fall back to the book.

“Taeyeon!” Taeyeon looked up from the book again and noticed Jessica was standing in her backyard. Not even bothering to ask how the girl even got there without her noticing she closed the book and turned to Jessica.

“What?”

“Look, look! I have shirts, and paint!” Jessica said and held up a plastic bag with what looked like white t-shirts and a bucket of paint.

“And?” Taeyeon asked as she didn’t see where Jessica was going with this.

“We’re going to paint our own shirts!” Jessica said excited. Taeyeon slumped down in her seat and glanced at the book in her hand. She shook her head and looked at Jessica that was happily strolling over towards where she was and soon she had the bag of shirts in her lap.

“It’ll be fun!” Jessica assured and picked up one of the white t-shirts from the bag and looked at it. Taeyeon looked down on all the shirts in the bag, wondering where Jessica had gotten them.

“Where did you get these?”

“My mom bought them to make prints on them from her club when they were part of a competition but she had some over and she gave them to me.” Jessica said and grinned. Not surprised over that fact Taeyeon looked down on the t-shirts again, picking up one and holding it up to see how it looked.

“This is huge, Sica.” Taeyeon pointed out when she realized the size was way too big for any of them.

“Ah, it doesn’t matter.” Jessica said and took the t-shirt from Taeyeon’s hands.

Taeyeon watched as Jessica rummaged through all the shirts in the plastic bag. A sigh left her lips and she leaned back in her seat as she watched Jessica stand up from her seat and looked like she was looking for something.

“Do you have old newspapers?” Jessica asked.

Taeyeon pointed inside the house and the girl left. The remaining girl sighed and picked up her book as she waited for Jessica to return. It didn’t take long until the girl showed up again, pile of newspapers in her arms.

Once again placed Taeyeon away her book to look what Jessica was up to. The girl spread out the newspapers on the veranda floor and placed the shirts with the front on top of them. Taeyeon raised an eyebrow as she had no idea what the girl was doing now.

“Come here.” Jessica said and patted the space beside her.

Taeyeon did as she was told and took a seat next to Jessica. The latter grabbed the bucket of paint and placed it beside her, she dipped a small paint brush into the paint and handed it to Taeyeon.

“You’re the artistic one out of us.” Jessica said and grinned. Taeyeon blinked confused and grabbed the paint brush from the girl. She glanced at the white shirt before she looked back at the girl.

“What do you want me to do?” She asked.

“Just paint something, or write something. You choose.” Jessica said and leaned back as she watched Taeyeon do her thing. A sigh left the girl’s lips and she looked back at the shirt, slowly she began to write on it with the paint brush

When Taeyeon was done she leaned back from her work. Jessica took a better look at the shirt, the smile on her face slowly faded and she glanced at the girl.

“What do you mean ‘Jessica’s idea’” Jessica said and pouted and pointed at the text Taeyeon had written. The latter shrugged her shoulders and handed the paint brush to Jessica.

“I couldn’t come up with something.” Taeyeon stated.

“Oh, move aside. And put this over there to dry.” Jessica tried to push Taeyeon away, the girl only sighed and grabbed the shirt she had made and put it away for it to dry. She returned to where Jessica was and watched as the girl was writing and painting weird looking stick figures.

“What are you doing?” Taeyeon asked and titled her head to the left.

“I’m drawing us! See, this is you, and this is me, this is your house and this is my house!” Jessica said and showed off what she had done.

“Wow…so…accurate.” Taeyeon said as she had no idea what to say about the picture.

Jessica took the shirt to place it beside the other one which was drying. She grabbed another t-shirt and placed it on the newspapers.

“Now it’s your turn.” Jessica said and pointed at the shirt. A sigh left Taeyeon’s lips and she grabbed the paint brush Jessica was holding out for her and began to slowly paint something on the t-shirt. Jessica watched what the girl was making, a smile forming on her lips when she saw what it was.

“Wow!” Jessica said when Taeyeon was done. “It’s amazing.” Jessica said and held up the t-shirt that now had a wolf head painted on it.

“It’s nothing.” Taeyeon said still feeling embarrassing by Jessica’s compliments after all these years. The girl turned towards her, smiling widely and went to put the t-shirt to dry and fished up another one.

She placed it out in front of Taeyeon, took the paint brush from Taeyeon’s hand and began drawing letters on the t-shirt. Taeyeon watched what the girl was doing, when she realized what it was a smile started to form.

“From JJ to KTY.” Taeyeon read out loud and looked at all the flowers and heart and other things Jessica had painted on the shirt. Jessica nodded her head satisfied.

“And you know what? This is one of the two shirts that’s only one size too big for you.” Jessica said.

“Wow, it must be fated that I got my own shirt from you.” Taeyeon said.

“I know!” Jessica said and picked up the t-shirt. When she turned around she noticed Taeyeon already had gotten another t-shirt which she was painting on. When she went closer a wide smile appeared on her lips and she watched as Taeyeon did her finishing touches and leaned back from her work.

“You made a shirt for me.” Jessica said with a smile and looked at the girl. Taeyeon nodded her head and turned to Jessica.

“You made one for me so I thought making one for you was only right.”

Jessica smiled and turned towards the shirt, smiling brightly before turning back to Taeyeon.

“Thank you.” She said and smiled.

“No problem.” Taeyeon said.

Jessica smiled wider and turned back to the t-shirt. She carefully picked it up to put it away to let the paint dry. She went back to Taeyeon’s side, grabbing another t-shirt which both of them took turns on painting something on. She smiled and looked at Taeyeon, noticing the girl smiled as well. Her smile widened and she turned back to the t-shirt, watching as Taeyeon wrote their initials at the top.


---


The woman’s eyes widened when she saw the two girls entered the kitchen. She heard her husband choke on his coffee which made her turn to the man and pat his back. She noticed that he too had seen his daughter and the neighbor’s daughter entering the kitchen.

“What are you doing?” Mr. Kim asked and watched as Taeyeon made her way to the refrigerator. The girl didn’t stop in her tracks and just looked back at the man that had asked her.

“Getting something to drink.” Taeyeon stated. She took out two cans of coke from the refrigerator, handing one to Jessica when she had closed the door to the refrigerator.

“Dear, can I see your t-shirts?” Mrs. Kim asked and motioned for both girls to come towards her. Without questioning why Taeyeon and Jessica made their way to the woman and stopped in front of her while standing next to each other.

When they stood in front of her and she got a better view of them she started smiling. The shirts she had thought looking like a rug that’s being used to wipe away paint at first glance actually looked pretty good up close. And what made her smile even more was that even though she could see the two shirts had been painted by them individually, they looked like one picture when the girls stood next to each other. 

“Have you painted these?” Mrs. Kim asked and tugged a bit on the end of Jessica’s shirt.

“Taeyeon painted this, and I painted that one.” Jessica said and pointed at her shirt and then at the one Taeyeon was wearing. The woman nodded her head a smiled before releasing Jessica’s shirt.

“I see. They look nice.” Mrs. Kim praised.

“Thank you!” Jessica said. Mrs. Kim turned to her daughter that was sipping on her can of coke, smiling at the girl and caught Taeyeon smiling behind the can.

“We’ll go back out now.” Taeyeon said and tugged on Jessica’s hand. The girl happily followed her while waving to Taeyeon’s parents.

“Are you going out wearing that?” Taeyeon’s father asked.

“Better than wearing nothing, right?” Taeyeon said.

The man clamped his mouth shut while his wife laughed. He looked at her, sighing and shook his head before looking back at the newspaper he had been reading.

Taeyeon’s mother just smiled and went back to cut out the receipts she had found in a magazine.


---


The girl on the bed smiled as she heard the voice on the other line. She giggled and rolled onto her back, saying something into the device and heard laughter erupt from the other side. The sound made her smile and she rolled back to lie on her stomach.

She heard the door to her room open and her attention on the person she was talking to was broken as she saw her older sister walking into her room. She watched the older girl make her way to her bookshelf and stared at the books there, sometimes pick one out, read the backside of it and put it back.

“Jinri, I’ll call you back. I have to do something.” Krystal apologized to the person on the phone and hung up before she got up to her bed and made her way towards where her sister was.

“Are you looking for something?” Krystal asked and followed her sister’s gaze to her books.

“It’s fine if I borrow some of your books right?” Jessica asked with her eyes still glued to all the titles of the books the younger girl owned.

“Yeah,” Krystal said and shrugged her shoulders. She didn’t really care as she had already finished reading all of them, and she didn’t have much interest in them anymore anyway.

“Okay, which one is better?” Jessica asked and took out two books and held them in front of Krystal. The younger girl furrowed her eyebrows as she didn’t remember the plot of any of them and just pointed at one and hoped it would be up to her sister’s expectations.

“But I thought you didn’t like these kinds of books.” Krystal said and looked at one of the books Jessica had picked.

“I don’t. But I’m researching something.” Jessica said and placed another book in the pile she had made.

Krystal looked up from the book she was reading the backside of and placed it in the pile of the books Jessica would borrow.

“Okay, just ask if there is anything you want to know.” Krystal said.

“Thanks.” Jessica said and turned to Krystal with a grin. Krystal smiled at her sister before she made her way back to her bed. Plopping down on it and picked up her phone, but didn’t do anything with it as she continued to watch her sister that once again was debating between two books.

“I liked the one you’re holding in your left hand.” Krystal said and hoped it could help the older girl.

Jessica turned towards the younger girl with a smile on her face. She placed the book Krystal had liked in the pile of books and returned the other one to its original place. Feeling she had everything she needed she took the pile of books and began walking to the door.

“I’ll give these back when I’m done.” Jessica promised.

“Don’t worry about it.” Krystal said and watched as Jessica made her way out, and closed the door after her.

A smile was on Krystal’s lips and she picked up her phone again. Dialed the number she had called earlier and pressed the device against her ear.

“Sorry, I just helped my sister with something.” Krystal apologized to the person. And soon a smile was brought to her lips and she began giggling.