News

Without you it's not the same

“Oh my God! Why didn’t you tell me?!”

Taeyeon flinched by the loud voice and tensed as she felt a body collide with hers and a pair of arms were wrapped around her. She was soon released from the hug and hands were placed on her shoulders as she was pulled away from the person that had hugged her.

“How long were you going to keep your engagement a secret?” Tiffany bellowed and looked disappointed at her. Taeyeon looked confused at the girl in front of her, her eyes left Tiffany’s face and looked at the two people approaching them.

“W-who told you?” Taeyeon asked and looked at Tiffany that was pouting at her.

“Sooyoung told me. And I asked Jessica to confirm.” Tiffany said and let Taeyeon go to cross her arms.

Taeyeon remained mum. Not sure how to explain why she hasn’t told Tiffany. She glanced at Jessica and Sooyoung that stopped by Tiffany’s side. The latter turned towards Jessica, the girl grinned from ear to ear even though Tiffany was frowning.

“I thought I’d be the first one to find out if you got engaged! Jessi how could you do this to me?!” Tiffany exclaimed and began shaking Jessica that only laughed at her.

Taeyeon turned to Sooyoung that watched Jessica and Tiffany in amusement. She turned from the taller girl to the two other girls, one laughing and the other one whining about how she didn’t find out about their engagement until now.

“Why did you tell her?” Taeyeon asked and looked at Sooyoung.

“I thought the news was already out.” Sooyoung explained.

“Ah…” Taeyeon turned back to Jessica and Tiffany again. Tiffany had stopped whining, and Jessica had stopped laughing. Jessica was patting the other girl’s head to calm her down.

“I wanted to tell you right away, but Taeyeon was the one that didn’t want to tell you.” Jessica said. Taeyeon’s eyes widened when she felt the three girls’ attention on her. She gulped and met Tiffany’s questioning gaze.

“Why didn’t you want to tell me?” Tiffany asked as she found it strange.

Taeyeon looked from Tiffany to Jessica that gave her a nod before she looked back at Tiffany. She sighed and looked apologetic at the other girl.

“I heard about your break-up with your boyfriend. I didn’t want to push engagement news in your face right after that.” Taeyeon explained.

“You and your boyfriend broke up?” Sooyoung asked surprised and looked at Tiffany. Jessica put an arm around the girl’s shoulders and looked worriedly at her. But Taeyeon felt panic strike her as she saw Tiffany’s expression.

This was news to Tiffany too.

“Y-you haven’t broken up?” Taeyeon asked when she saw how surprised Tiffany looked.

“Last time I checked we were still together…” Tiffany mumbled.

Taeyeon felt as if someone had dumped a bucket of cold water over her. She looked apologetic and concerned at Tiffany that gently moved Jessica’s arm away from her shoulders before turning around and walking away from them. Not even saying where she was heading.

“Who told you they had broken up?” Sooyoung asked and turned to Taeyeon.

“The girl living next to Tiffany’s dorm.” Taeyeon mumbled and watched after the girl.

“What did she say exactly?”

“She wondered if Tiffany’s boyfriend was interested in a relationship or if he felt it was too soon after the breakup to hook up with someone.” Taeyeon said.

“Why would you know that? You aren’t even close with Tiffany’s boyfriend.”

“Who knows what that girl was really thinking…”

Sooyoung and Jessica exchanged glances. Taeyeon felt Jessica turning back to her and she looked pleadingly at the other girl. She felt Jessica’s hand grab hers and a smile appeared on the girl’s lips.

“You just have to make up for it.” Jessica said like it was the simplest thing in the world.

“How?” Taeyeon asked.

Jessica grinned and looked at Sooyoung that also seemed to be wondering what Jessica had in mind before she turned back to her fiancée.

“Tiffany loves chocolate. We can bake a chocolate cake for her! It will probably help her through the break up and make up for the fact that you dropped those news on her.” Jessica said.

“A chocolate cake?” Taeyeon asked and looked from Jessica to Sooyoung that looked ready to leave once it was announced she had to be part of it.

“Yeah, I’m sure it will cheer her up a bit.” Jessica said and grabbed Taeyeon’s hand and tugged on it. “Are you coming too Sooyoung?”

“Nah, baking and that stuff isn’t my thing. I’ll go and see if my boyfriend is planning to breakup with me. See you guys around and good luck!” The taller girl said and waved at them before she turned to leave.

Jessica turned to Taeyeon with a puzzled look on her face.

“Is Sooyoung’s boyfriend planning to breakup as well?”

“No, she just used that as an excuse to not help out.” Taeyeon mumbled and followed Jessica as she dragged her with her.

“Ah…are you coming up with an excuse as well?”

“What excuse would you buy if I came up with one?”

“If you tell me you’re planning to breakup I might let you go.”

“Sica…don’t even joke about that. I’d never breakup with you.”

Jessica turned towards the other girl with a grin on her lips and leaned closer to kiss Taeyeon’s left cheek.

“I’m glad to hear that. And I’m happy to say I’d never breakup with you either. So we’re pretty much stuck with each other like this.”

“Hah…funny how you can be happy being stuck to the same person.”

“You’re happy being stuck to me?”

“I wouldn’t want to be stuck to anyone else but you.”

Jessica grinned at the other girl and noticed a small blush creeping onto Taeyeon’s cheeks the longer she looked at the girl.

“Look at this smooth talker.” Jessica teased and bumped her shoulder with Taeyeon’s. Her teasing only made Taeyeon blush even more and the girl looked away from her.

“Shut it…are we baking Tiffany a chocolate cake or not?”

“We are. So let’s go! My smooth talking fiancée!”

Taeyeon could only be dragged by Jessica to the shared kitchen where they would be making the cake Jessica had suggested.


---


Her hand lifted up to her hair and brushed the black locks. She gulped and made a turn towards the exit of the campus building, once she was out she began jogging towards the football court. She knew the place her boyfriend usually hung out and she needed to find him, confirm if what Taeyeon had heard was true.

Her pace picked up and she sprinted towards the court, only slowing down once her eyes landed on the boy that stood out to her among the group of boys that stood by the side of the court. She usually smiled when she saw him, but this time she didn’t.

She walked the rest of the distance until she was standing beside the group of boys that stopped in their conversation and turned towards her.

“Taecyeon, can I talk to you for a second?” Tiffany asked and crossed her arms. The brunette guy looked at his friends that all had smirks on their faces before he looked back at her.

“Sure” The guy said and shrugged his shoulders. He began following Tiffany that walked away from the group of guys. She stopped and turned towards the guy when she felt they were far enough away from his group of friends.

“Hey, where have you been for the last past days?” Taecyeon asked and looked at Tiffany.

“The same place I always am.” Tiffany said and arched an eyebrow.

“Really? I didn’t see you.”

“I have a phone you know. Picking it up and contacting me isn’t that hard”

“I thought you lost it on your trip to Africa or wherever you were.”

“I got a new one. And I was in South America.”

“Yeah, South America.”

Tiffany continued to observe the guy that suddenly had found his shoes more interesting than her. She let out a sigh and felt like it was no use beating around the bush here.

“Taecyeon, I heard from someone that you’re breaking up with me, is it true?” Tiffany asked. Taecyeon looked up surprised at her. Tiffany raised an eyebrow, waiting for his answer.

“I…I yeah. I was thinking of breaking up with you.” Taecyeon said and looked away from her while scratching his neck.

Tiffany’s lips formed a line and she crossed her arms. “Funny how everyone else but me seems to know this. Isn’t it more respectful to let me know first?”

“Well…I couldn’t exactly get ahold of you and – “

“You know where my dorm is. And you know who my friends are. I’m pretty sure you could have gotten ahold of me through them or just looked for me. I’m not on the other side of the world.”

“But you usually are.” Taecyeon said and looked at Tiffany. Tiffany’s eyebrows raised when she noticed his voice has gotten louder.

“Is that your problem? That I’m travelling a lot?”

“Yeah…and”

“I’ve asked you if you wanted to come with me, you know. But you always said no.”

“Yeah…” Taecyeon nodded his head and looked elsewhere. Tiffany continued to observe him as silence settled between them.

“But that’s not the only problem, is it?” Tiffany asked.

The guy sighed and let his gaze fall to the ground before he looked up at her. A nervous smile appeared on his lips and he shook his head before he looked back at her again.

“Tiff…your friends” He stopped as he saw Tiffany’s expression darkened. Tiffany tilted her head to the side, silently urging him to go on. “There’s a lot talking going on. First of all…two of your female friends are a couple…and not only that but that weirdo-”

“What weirdo?” Tiffany spat.

“I’m just saying my friends doesn’t think it’s cool I’m with a girl that’s friends with homouals, and on top of that, my girlfriend is friend with…what’s her name? Jessica. Yeah, the girl with the flower pot. Everyone is talking about them. No one wants to hang out with them, Tiff. And people think that because I’m with you they think I’m also friends with them and they kind of don’t want to hang with me either.”

Tiffany felt her nails dig into the skin of her arm. She tried to breath calmly to get her anger to subside but it was futile, it just got worse the longer she looked at the guy in front other.

“You know what, Taecyeon?” Tiffany asked and uncrossed her arms. “Tell your friends to off. And you know something else? You don’t have to break up with me. I’m breaking up with you. You’re just like everyone else. I never thought you could be so judgmental. And remember this, if I see you even close to my friends, I’ll beat you up. And tell your friends that as well. I don’t want to see any of your friends near my friends.” Tiffany spat and pushed the guy before turning on her heels.

“I don’t want to see you near my friends either!” Taecyeon shouted after the girl.

“Don’t worry. I wouldn’t want to get near s like that!”

“ you!”

Tiffany gritted her teeth and shook her head. Trying her best to not spin around and walk back to the guy to give him a well deserving punch. She breathed out through her nose before she began jogging, she was suddenly thankful for the gym the college had, as she would really need it now to get some of the anger out of her system. 


---


The girl brought her hand up towards the door and gave it a few knocks. No response came from the occupant of the dorm room and she knocked a few times more. Still no response and she felt the doorknob and noticed the door was unlocked.

Jessica glanced to her side where Taeyeon was standing. The latter shrugged her shoulders and Jessica turned back to the door.

“Tiff, I’m coming in.” Jessica said before turning the doorknob and opening the door to reveal Tiffany’s dorm room.

It didn’t take long for her to find the girl as Tiffany was sitting by her desk, a pair of headphones covering her ears. And even though Taeyeon and Jessica stood by the door they could hear what music the girl was listening to, which made them understand why Tiffany hadn’t responded when they had knocked.

A smile formed on Jessica’s lips and she walked up towards the girl by the desk that hadn’t noticed their presence as she was sitting with her back towards the door.  Jessica walked up to the girl and enveloped Tiffany in a hug which startled the girl and made her remove her headphones.

“Oh God Jessi, you scared me.” Tiffany said when she noticed it was just Jessica.

“You should be happy it’s me. You forgot to lock your door. What if a murderer had come in instead, huh? You wouldn’t have noticed it before your throat was cut open.” Jessica said and pulled away from the hug.

“Ahahah, yeah, I know. I usually lock the door but it just – Oh my God is that a chocolate cake?!”

Taeyeon jumped when she noticed both girls turned towards her. She smiled shyly and walked over to Tiffany with the chocolate cake she was holding.

“It is! We made it. For you.” Jessica said and grinned.

“Really? But why? It’s not my birthday.” Tiffany asked and looked back and forth between the two girls. Seeing the guilt stricken expression on Taeyeon’s face, and the small concern that was shown between the smile on Jessica’s face, Tiffany figured it out.

“Oh…” Tiffany said and looked at the cake. “But you didn’t have to. I’m fine.” Tiffany said and smiled at the two girls.

“No, no, no. We’re not buying that. We put our sweat and blood into this cake, you’re not going to push it away now.” Jessica said and pushed Taeyeon closer to Tiffany.

“Jessi…I hope you didn’t literally put your sweat and blood in this cake.”

“Well, there’s only one way to find that out. You have to taste it!” Jessica said and grabbed the spoon Taeyeon was holding. She scooped up a bite of the cake and offered it to Tiffany. “Here, eat it.”

Tiffany ate the cake Jessica offered her. She chewed slowly on the bite and looked from Jessica to Taeyeon. Her lips turned into a smile before she had to cover as she started laughing.

“Oh God Jessi, you forgot you have a jealous girlfriend!” Tiffany laughed and pointed at Taeyeon. Jessica turned to Taeyeon that didn’t look that pleased over the fact that Jessica had fed Tiffany.

“C’mon Taeyeon. It’s just Tiffany!” Jessica exclaimed. Seeing her words didn’t seem to make the situation better she scooped up more cake and held it out towards Taeyeon.

“Here,” Jessica said but Taeyeon leaned away from the spoon.

“I don’t want an indirect kiss with Tiffany.” Taeyeon mumbled.

Tiffany burst out laughing while Jessica looked at Taeyeon like she couldn’t believe the girl’s words. Seeing Taeyeon didn’t seem to change her mind Jessica slumped her shoulders and just put the spoon inside which made Tiffany laugh even harder as she saw Taeyeon’s mouth drop open in shock.

“You just– “ Taeyeon didn’t get to finish her sentence as Jessica put cake inside the girl’s mouth.

“No indirect kiss with Tiffany.” Jessica said and grinned. She saw a frown appear on Taeyeon’s lips and Jessica leaned in to the girl and kissed the girl’s lips before turning to Tiffany.

“Now, the cake is all yours. And no blood or sweat has been put in it.” Jessica said with a grin. Tiffany smiled as well and grabbed the spoon Jessica was holding out towards her, she scooped up another bite from the cake and ate it.

“Cake tastes the best when I have an indirect kiss with Taeyeon.” Tiffany joked and looked from Jessica to Taeyeon that rolled her eyes at her. “Hey, you have no right to do that! You’re the one that dropped the news about my boyfriend breaking up with me.” Tiffany said when she saw Taeyeon’s expression.

Taeyeon blinked shocked and guilt appeared on her face again. Seeing it Tiffany smiled reassuringly at her. “I’m just joking with you Taeyeon. It’s not your fault. And to be honest, I’d rather have heard it from you than someone else. At least I know you wouldn’t say something like that to hurt me.” Tiffany assured the girl.

Taeyeon looked more relieved now, but the guilt was still there. Tiffany smiled at her before turning to Jessica.

“And because I know none of you will ask this directly, I can say that me and my boyfriend has broken up.” Tiffany said and met Jessica’s apologetic expression. “And you don’t have to feel sorry for me. He was an as* so it’s okay.” Tiffany said and smiled.

Taeyeon and Jessica exchanged glances before they looked back at the girl that was munching on the cake now. Tiffany looked up at the two girls, a smile forming on her lips and she swallowed the bite in .

“I don’t want to talk about it. But I want to talk about your engagement.” Tiffany said and looked at Jessica that now started to smile. The girl nodded her head and she brought Tiffany and Taeyeon with her to sit on the floor in the middle of the room with the chocolate cake in front of Tiffany so the girl could eat of it while Jessica told her how the engagement had happened.