Nap

Without you it's not the same

The girl on the bed slowly opened her eyes as she felt the room had gotten warmer since last night. She furrowed her eyebrows when she noticed she wasn’t in her dorm room at the university. She sat up in the bed and looked around the room. It then came back to her that she was home as the summer break had started a week ago.

She lied back down on the bed and looked up at the ceiling of the bedroom in her parents’ house. A relaxed smile was on her lips and she turned around and caught the sight of her desk that stood in front of the window in her room. She could see the notebook on the desk that she had placed there when she had arrived home.

Remembering what she had put inside of that notebook she got out of bed and made her way towards it. She opened the notebook and saw the list she had started on. A smile graced her lips as she read the forth thing on the list. She grabbed a nearby pen and drew a line over the forth thing on the list and let the pen fall down to the table surface. Her eyes landed on the fifth thing on the list, a big smile formed on her lips upon reading the words.

“Unnie! Mom says you should get up now!” She heard a female voice said outside of her bedroom door.

“I am up!” She answered the girl.

“Then you should come down and eat something!” A woman’s voice answered for her this time.

“I’m on my way!” She replied and closed the notebook and made her way out of the room.


---


The chirping birds and the occasional sound of the wind moving the leaves in the trees were the sounds that accompanied her when she was sitting on the veranda at the backside of the house. A content smile was on her lips as she felt her whole body and mind were relaxed after the last weeks she had spent studying before summer break. It had been long nights and she had lost a lot of sleep, but now when she was home again she could finally relax and drop the thought about school for a while.

A book was lying on the table in front of where she was seated. A course mate had recommended her it and so she thought it would be the first book she would read for the summer. No stress. Just relax, read and get absorbed into the story. It was perfect. She picked it up and opened it, reading the first sentences brought a content smile to her face and she leaned back in the chair and let her mind go into the world the author had built up.

Fifteen pages into the book, fifteen and half pages to be exact, she suddenly got interrupted in her reading and she returned to the reality again. To her fear she felt she was falling backwards. Her arms stretched out towards the table to grab it but her arms were too short. Just when she thought she would hit the ground she stopped and a face appeared before her.

“Hello!” The all too familiar person said and grinned at her. Taeyeon couldn’t do anything else but frown upon seeing the person.

“What are you doing?” Taeyeon asked annoyed.

“I just came by to say hello.” Jessica said and returned the chair to its former position. She began massaging her forearms as she walked around the table and took a seat in front of where Taeyeon was sitting.

“You’ve gotten heavier.” Jessica pointed out and furrowed her eyebrows.

“No, you’ve gotten weaker.” Taeyeon fired back and put a bookmark where she had stopped reading and put the book on the table. She figured that she would get no reading done with Jessica here.

“Maybe,” Jessica said and shrugged her shoulders. “So, what are you going to do today?” She asked with a smile on her lips.

“Hang out with you, I suppose.” Taeyeon said and leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms. Jessica looked surprised at her and pointed at herself.

“With me? Have we made plans? I don’t think we have.” Jessica said and got a thoughtful look on her face. Taeyeon sighed and rubbed her forehead.

“Well, you’re here so I suppose we’re going to do something.”

“No. I actually came here to hang out with your mom. So, now when I’ve said hello to you I suppose I’m gonna go back inside and hang with her.” Jessica said with a grin on her face and started to slowly stand up from her seat. Taeyeon didn’t say anything and glared at the girl instead. Jessica didn’t need any verbal response from the girl and sat back down in her seat.

“Well, you look lonely out here so I guess I can stay with you.” Jessica said after she had taken a seat.

“Whatever,” Taeyeon said and rested her chin against her palm. “So, anything we’re gonna do today?”

Jessica was silent as she was thinking. She soon shook her head which brought a surprised expression to Taeyeon’s face.

“No, I thought we could just chill today.” She said and leaned back in her chair and put her hands on her stomach. She looked at Taeyeon that still looked like she didn’t believe her.

“You always have something you want to do.” Taeyeon said.

“Yeah, and I want to relax today.” Jessica said and smiled. Taeyeon continued to look doubtfully at the other girl before she glanced at the book that was lying on the table. She looked up at Jessica again that continued to smile at her.

“Why are you going to relax at my house then?” Taeyeon asked and furrowed her eyebrows.

“Because I want to relax with you.” Jessica said and she smiled so wide her teeth were showing. Taeyeon then realized she once again had been dragged into one of Jessica’s plans, but this time it was something they both wanted.

“Well, let’s relax then.” Taeyeon said and leaned back in her chair with a small smile on her lips. Jessica’s eyes glimmered of happiness and she stood up from her seat and ran over to Taeyeon’s. Taeyeon looked shocked at the girl that now dragged her up from her seat.

“I thought we were gonna chill today?” Taeyeon exclaimed surprised.

“We are.” Jessica said and dragged the girl out to the backyard. She dragged Taeyeon towards a big cherry tree and made them both sit down in the shadow of the tree. When she had stopped Jessica turned to Taeyeon with a grin, but Taeyeon just looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

“Why are we here?” Taeyeon asked and nodded towards the tree.

“Because I like this tree.” Jessica said and laid down on the ground with her hands clasped behind her head. She looked at the girl that sat beside her and looked down at her. She smiled and patted the space beside her. “Lie down.” Jessica told the girl.

With a sigh Taeyeon lied down beside the other girl under the cherry tree. Silence engulfed them as they stared up at the tree, listened to the birds and the ruffling of the leaves in the wind. Taeyeon found her body and mind was soon relaxed again, and a content smile was on her lips. She glanced at Jessica beside her and noticed the girl had already fallen asleep. A chuckle escaped the girl and she tilted her head closer to Jessica’s and shut her eyes.  The rhythmic breathing of the other girl worked as a lullaby and soon she was asleep as well.


---


The chatting of people made the girl stir in her sleep and she slowly opened her eyes. The first thing she that came into her view was a face which made her lean back from it, only to stop when she realized whose face it was. A smile formed on her lips upon seeing the brunette girl that was sleep beside her. She turned around and noticed it had gotten darker outside and a blanket was placed over her and the girl beside her.

Laughter filled her ears and she looked towards the veranda and noticed four adults were chatting and enjoying their time together there. Her smile widened when she recognized her father’s voice among the adults and she turned towards the girl sleeping beside her.

“Taeyeon-ah,” Jessica coed and nudged the sleeping girl. Taeyeon woke up and slowly opened her eyes and looked up at Jessica that was in a sitting position. The girl flashed her a smile but Taeyeon just reclosed her eyes and shifted some in her position.

“Yah, Taeyeon, there’s an ant in your hair.”

“Take it away then.” Taeyeon mumbled calmly.

“I don’t wanna touch it.”

“Let it be then.”

“You’re boring.”

“I don’t fall for that anymore. I’m not ten any longer.”

“But it was funny when I managed to trick you.” Jessica laughed.

“Only for you.” Taeyeon mumbled.

Jessica chuckled at the memory of when they had been young. She turned to where her parents and Taeyeon’s parents were sitting before she turned back to the girl that was still lying down.

“How long have we known each other?” Jessica suddenly asked.

“Since some four years old girl thought it would be fun to hide in the neighbors’ garden while playing hide-and-seek with her daddy.” Taeyeon replied. A big smile appeared on Jessica’s lips when she thought back to the day she first had met Taeyeon.

“Oh, it was quite funny.” Jessica said when she thought back to it.

“Not for our parents.” Taeyeon said and opened her eyes and looked at Jessica. Jessica continued to grin at the memory.

“I remember I managed to convince you to play long with me.” Jessica said and looked at the girl.

“Yeah, we hid ourselves and we waited for so long we both fell asleep and our parents was out and looking for us.” Taeyeon said and closed her eyes again. “I’m surprised they even let us continue to play with each other after that.”

“I guess they didn’t have any other choice.” Jessica said. “I continued to come over here after that.” Jessica said and smiled.

“Yeah, and forced me to play with you.”

“Hey, you were playing by yourself and I joined you.”

“Hmm, maybe it was like that.”

“You have bad memory.”

“I can’t be perfect.”

“You’re perfect in my eyes.”

Taeyeon opened her eyes and looked up at the girl beside her. Jessica felt Taeyeon was looking at her and looked down on the girl beside her. Their eyes met and a knowing look appeared on both their faces.

“You’re perfect in my eyes as well.” Taeyeon said and closed her eyes.

“I already knew that.” Jessica said and grinned. A slap landed on her thigh which made her giggle.

“Jessica! Wake Taeyeon up and go and get something to eat. I left some food in the kitchen for you two.” Jessica heard Taeyeon’s mother shout.

“Okay!” Jessica shouted back and turned towards the girl beside her. “Did you hear her? We have food waiting to be devoured by us.” Jessica said and nudged the other girl. Taeyeon only nodded her head and slowly sat up.

Jessica got up on her feet and dragged the other girl up as well. When Taeyeon was up on two feet Jessica put her arm around the other girl’s shoulders and put the blanket around both of them before she started to make her way towards the house.

“Good morning girls!” Jessica’s father said when his eyes landed on the two girls.

“Good night dad!” Jessica responded before she led Taeyeon into the house and the two of them went to the kitchen where the food was waiting for them.

“Why do you like the cherry tree?” Taeyeon asked when she was taking out plates for her and Jessica.

“The cherry tree? I like it because it was there we fell asleep the first day we met.” Jessica replied and took the plate Taeyeon handed her.

Taeyeon blinked and stood quiet and still while she tried to remember the thing Jessica had said. A small smile appeared her lips when she remembered it had been there they had fallen asleep.

“Right, it was there we fell asleep.” She said and followed Jessica to the counter where her mother had placed the food for them.