Chapter 6

Goodnight My Love

He took a look at himself one last time before heading out. He stopped by a flower shop to buy a stalk of Gardenia flower which means I Love You in secret. He made his way to the house that he’s been to frequently. As he was driving, several things occupied his mind. One of it was definitely a certain brunette that has turned him into a love fool.

‘ Should I consider this as our third date? Or is it only second date? Does the first encounter count? I mean, we were alone and we kind of had a date. Aish. Is it too early if I want to ask her to be my girlfriend? I mean, we’re closer now and I really like her. Besides, we’re of the same status? Not that I really care but she’s a Jung. She’s the heiress of Jung Enterprise and Tiffany’s her cousin. Whereas my family owns Kim Corporation. Maybe I should consult Seohyun first..’

He arrived at the mansion and he took a final look at himself before stepping out of his silver Lexus LFA with the flowers. He took out his phone and dialled her number, telling her that he’s already outside. He waited for her at the doorstep with the flowers hid behind him. As the door opened, he was awestruck. Standing right before him was the girl ice princess dressed down. ‘How could someone still look so beautiful despite dressing so casual?’ he thought to himself. He turned his head away as he realized that he was staring at her. His face slowly heated up and he stuttered.

“H..Hi” he felt like an idiot for stuttering like that. She just smiled back at him.

“For you” he said as he handed to her the bouquet of Gardenia. “I’m sorry about what happened the other day at the party. I shouldn’t have let you walked off alone. I should’ve tried to get away from all those girls. I’ve been feeling guilty ever since then.”

“Thank you. It’s beautiful. You don’t have to feel guilty, I mean, you’re a popular guy. It’s no wonder you’re getting all this attention. Besides, I’ve got no rights or reason to be upset. It’s not like we’re a couple” she said calmly although deep inside, it bothers her that they’re merely friends. Little did she realised that her words affected the boy terribly.

‘Is she saying she just wants to be friends? Or is she indirectly telling me she wants something more between us?’ he questioned himself. Without wasting any more time, he led her to his car.

Jessica was surprised to see the car. It was different from the one he always drove. “New car?” She asked as he stepped into the driver’s seat.

“Nope. This is my car. The past few days I was using my Seohyun’s car since she Yoong always fetch her from home.”

“It’s nice. Kinda suits your look and personality.” She said while admiring the interior of the car.

“You have high interest in cars?”

“I don’t have much knowledge but just enough”

“Well, then maybe you’ll be amaze to see the other’s cars. Aside from Tiffany.”

“Sooyoung don’t drive, right?”

“He does. He’s the only one with a motor license but he owns a car as well.”

Taeyeon had brought her to a carnival after dinner. He felt that it was a perfect way to make her happy and get to know more about her. They went on some rides and spent some most of the time walking around and joking around with each other. After that, they went to nearby diner to have a drink and just relax.

“Wow, for an ice princess, I didn’t know you’d be scary cat!” Taeyeon .

“Yah! Who says I’m an ice princess! Besides, that place was scary okay. I told you I going into the haunted house was a bad idea.” She argued.

“Haha. I just never expected that and you screamed like a dolphin! Not to forget you gripped me so tight that I thought my veins were gonna burst!”

“That’s not true! Stop saying that!” she shouted and he continued teasing her just because he enjoyed seeing all her reactions.

“Oh, I hope you can watch the upcoming musical that Seohyun and Sunny’s doing. I’m sure they’d want you there.”

“Oh? They didn’t mention anything about it.. No wonder I haven’t seen Sunny and Seohyun lately.”

“Yeah, they’re busy rehearsing for the musical. So you’ll come?”

“Of course! But what about you? Seohyun said you’re in drama too, right?”

“Ah, I don’t play main roles. I’m usually involve in the singing parts.”

“Really? So will you be performing?”

“Yeah.. I’ll be doing minor things but the two of them are the main.”

“Okay. I’m looking forward to it.” She exclaimed. ‘Here’s the chance to hear him sing. Since all the girls are crazy over him because of his voice, it must be amazing. Wow, I’m excited!”

They left the diner and made their way back. Taeyeon was as usual, a perfect gentleman, opened the door for her etc. Silence accompanied them on their journey back home. It used to be an awkward silence between them but now, it’s no longer awkward. It was much more comfortable and they enjoyed it. Both hearts were doing flip flop and they couldn’t help smiling. Jessica leaned her head against the window and enjoyed the ride while recalling the moments they shared. She couldn’t deny that she never regret going into the haunted house because it gave her the opportunity to be close with him. Taeyeon had his arms around her protectively and held her close when he realised that Jessica was afraid. She was shocked by his sudden action but nevertheless succumb to it. He held her close and her hands were secured around his waist, never letting it loose.

The car came to a stop. Taeyeon looked at his date and chuckled looking at her smiling adorably. “We’re here” he said, breaking her trance of thoughts. She didn’t wait for him and opened the door on her own.

“I hope you had fun and once again, I’m sorry about what happened the other day. I hope today’s date made up for it?” he asked hopefully.

She laughed at his gesture and signalled him to come closer. He did as told and as he stood before her, inches away, she wrapped her hands around his neck and pulled him closer. She had to tip toe as he was slightly taller than her.

“I told you I’m fine and that you don’t have to apologize. & I had a great time today. It totally made up for it. So don’t beat yourself, okay?” as she finished her whispers, she kissed him on the cheeks and left him standing outside. She knew he would be paralysed by her actions and she was right as she peeped through the curtain. ‘So cute.’ She thought to herself and continued watching him.

He stood there paralysed and placed his right palm on his cheeks where he was kissed. He smiled like an idiot recalling the kiss and her whispers. She made him shiver as they stood so close and when she hugged him and whispered, he was already sweating and tried to control himself. ‘Jessica Jung, you drive me insane, do you know that.’ He thought to himself. He then walked back to his car and left.

 

“When are the two of you gonna get together?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Please Jessie. You obviously like him and you guys have been on several dates. What’s holding you back?”

“You can’t expect me to make the first move, right?!”

“Did you tell him how you feel? Did you give him hints? He even flirts with you right before our eyes!”

“I’m sure he knows how I feel. Why are you so stressed out?! Do you like him?!” she eyed her cousin.

“What?! Hell no. I have a boyfriend Jessica Jung!”

“Then why are you so worked out? Besides, I’m sure he’s busy preparing for the musical right now.”

“Because I know the two of you like each other and I’ve never seen Taeng that happy. How’d you know about the musical? He told you?”

“Obviously he did. Apparently it didn’t occur to you to inform me about it. Anyway, I don’t wanna talk about things between me and him. If it happens, it happens. We’ll see, okay?” she said to her and went to her room.

 

As soon as he reached home, he went straight to her room. His sudden entrance shocked the girl that was talking on the phone. “Yoong, I gotta go. I’ll call you back later, okay? Bye!” she immediately hung up on him.

“Oppa what’s wrong? Why did you suddenly burst into my room without knocking or whatsoever?” she asked worriedly as she stood up and pulled him to her bed to sit.

“I like her and it’s driving me insane. She drives me insane Seohyun. When I saw her frown, I can’t help but feel bad. The thought of upsetting her actually hurts me. I wanna spend every minute with her. I want to make her mine. I want to be the reason for her laughter and smiles. I want to love her. I can’t get her out of my mind at all. She’s the last person I think of every night and the first person that I think of every morning. What do I do hyunnie?” he was desperate for answer. He needed an assurance.

“Oppa calm down please. I’ve never seen you like this before and it scares me. Oppa, you don’t like her at all. You love her. It’s obvious. Just listen to what you just said and you’ll realise that you love her. The feelings have developed deeper. You know you love her, what assurance do you need oppa? If you want to make her your girlfriend, than go ahead. No one’s stopping you.”

“Is it too early? What if she rejects me? What if she doesn’t feel the same way as I do. I love her Seohyun but what if she only likes me? What if she only sees me as a friend material?”

“Oppa, there’s too many what if in your head right now! What if she says yes? What if she sees you more than a friend? Oppa, what if can actually kill you. It can destroy all your hopes. From what I see, my instinct tells me that she feels that same way as you. If you’re ready, than do it. Don’t hold back. I’m sure she’s silently waiting for you to make a move.” She said and pats his hands.

“Are you sure? What if I screw up?” he asked doubtfully.

“What have you got to lose, Oppa? If you do it now, it only shows that you’re brave enough to take that step. Oppa, if you wait any longer, you might have competition. I heard that some boys are eyeing her. Look, if it turns out well, all your fan girls might leave you alone after this?”

“Alright. I’ll make the move.”

“Oh, but Oppa, please only do it after the musical. I don’t want you to screw up your performance. Look, the musical is the perfect chance to show her your singing skills. I know she’s been longing to hear you sing. You can show it to her than and on the day you wanna “propose” give her a performance that’s only for her, okay?”

“Okay, that sounds good but you’ll help me when I want to propose?”

“Of course!”

“But don’t tell anyone about this conversation, okay? Not even your beloved boyfriend!”

“Yes yes oppa! Now, go to your room. I need to call Yoong now” she said and pushed him out of the room.