Chapter 21

Goodnight My Love

Do you know the feeling

When sometimes you wake up young, and sometimes you wake up old

And sometimes you're so in love

And Do you know the feeling

When their love just comes undone

And I can't figure it out

What something's got me unlock, but you my baby

 

There were some times I put up a fight

But when something is right, you know that is right

And I don't wanna think, it's simple to me, you're the one

 

And baby that's why...

And I can't help it, I gotta be where you are

Like the sky holding the stars

Like the strings on my guitar

I wanna be where you are

Like the sand that's on the beach

Like a model in a magazine

It don't mean a thing, if we're apart

I wanna be where you are

Where you are, where you are

And that's it baby I wanna be where you are

 

And baby everytime you're around

You're the one that always holds me down

And don't even ask for a thing, no

You make a real win, even when things aint perfect

You're the one that keeps the fire burning

And that's the reason why, I aint leaving

 

The song ended and he walked up to her and stood before her. His hand glides down her arm and folds over her hand. His fingers lace with hers and palms kissing. She could see that he was nervous and trying to calm himself. He looked at the side where everyone was watching before looking at her. He brought their interlaced hand up and looked into her eyes. As he gazed into her eyes, he took a deep breath.

“There is no pretending," he said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.” Without leaving her gaze, he got on one knee.

“Will you marry me? Will you spend the rest of your life with me and grow old with me?” he asked. He looked at her with hope and determination and waited for her answer.

With tears in her eyes, a quaver in , tears streamed down her cheeks to the ground. She couldn’t contain her happiness much longer. “In a heartbeat!” she said as tears of joy continue to flow. He immediately slipped the ring into her finger and hugged her. He hugged her and lifted her off the ground and turn full circle.

 

Everyone came out of hiding and approached the couple. Everyone was congratulating the couple. The girls were especially excited and happy and they were jumping around. They stayed around and sat at the picnic table that was filled with food and champagne. As all of them were enjoying themselves, one of them snuck away from the group and walked along the shore. It did not go unnoticed by one of them. He excused himself and went after his friend.

 

He watched him from afar. He could tell that something was bothering him. ‘What’s going on with you buddy’ he thought as he took quiet steps and stood next to him.

“Are you okay?” he asked as he looked at him. He just shrugged his shoulders and smiled.

“Congratulations Yul. I never expected you to be the next one to get hitched.”

“Well, it’s not really a surprise right? I mean, it doesn’t really matter when I do it cos I know deep down, she’s the one for me and that she’s the one that I’m gonna marry and grow old with.” He took a glance at him before continuing. “I can tell by the look in your eyes that something’s on your mind. Are you bothered that I proposed?”

“What?! Don’t be silly Yul. I’m truly happy for you.” He said and turned to look at him.

“Then what’s bothering you? You didn’t look so happy despite it being a joyous occasion..”

“First it was Soo and now you and your partner is Sooyeon’s cousin and…” he couldn’t find the right words and was stuttering to finish his sentence.

“You’re worried that you might be pressured to do the same because her cousin’s getting married and she’s nowhere close to it because you’re not ready?” he saw him nodded and sighed.

“Taeng, you don’t have to feel pressured. Things will fall into places. Trust me. You will know when it’s time. I’m sure she understands.”

“What’s gonna happen after that?”

“What do you mean?”

“Getting married means more responsibility and it means I have to focus on one profession.”

“So what’s wrong? That is a fact Taeng. That day will eventually come, whether you want it to or not. It’s inevitable.”

“If I remembered correctly, you told me that you gave yourself at least 5 years to achieve what you want as a singer or an artist. So now, you still have about 2 more years. The decision lies in your hand besides, what’s meant to be, will always find a way. Have faith.” Yul said and pat his back before leaving him alone to reflect. He stayed there for little longer before heading back to join the rest of the group.

 

“Have any of you seen Taeyeon? He was here earlier but now he’s gone” Jessica asked as she looked around for him.

“Someone asked about me?” Taeyeon said as he approached the group. He nearly lost his balance as she engulfed him in a tight hug.

“Where did you go? I was worried. You were with us one moment and the next you were gone!” she said. He smiled at her adorable pout and caressed her cheeks.

“I had to answer a call and it was a bit noisy so I walked away” he said and smiled at her. He saw the looked that Yul gave him and he just smiled back at him.

They enjoyed the rest of the night by the beach where the girls were busy talking wedding while the guys just listened to everything and nodding their heads along as they mind their own business.

 

They bid their goodbye to each other and went their separate ways. Taeyeon opened the door for Sooyeon and waited for her to buckle up before closing the door. He went over to the driver sit, buckled up and drove off. The whole journey was filled with silence which Sooyeon felt rather uncomfortable about.

“Taengoo, why is it so quiet?” she asked.

“Let’s listen to songs, okay?” he answered without taking his eyes off the road.

“Taeyeon, where are we going?” she asked as she noticed that he took another route which is further away from her place. Seeing that he isn’t replying, she continued.

“Are you okay? You’ve been very quiet all night. What’s wrong Taengoo?” she pressed on she turn to look at him. He turned off the engine and stepped out of the car. She peered out the window and saw that they’re at Han River. She got out and stood next to him. He intertwined their fingers and led the way.

“I just felt that it’s been a while since we went for a quiet and peaceful night walk.” He said without looking at her.

“Well, if you felt that way, we could’ve done it at the beach earlier Taengoo” she said.

“Yeah, I know but I prefer here. Hope you don’t mind”.

“As long as it’s with you, I’m okay” she said and wrapped her hand around his arm and pulled him closer. They walked silently enjoying the scenery and the cool breeze along Han River. They stopped their track and took a sit at a bench. He got up and walked towards the railing, overseeing the river. He looked up at the night sky and sighed.

“I lied” he said with his back towards her.

“What are you talking about? What did you lie about?” she asked worried. She did not like where this conversation was heading. Nevertheless, she waited patiently for him to reply.

“There was no phone call earlier.” He finally said and turned to face her as he leaned against the railing. “I felt overwhelmed and was in distraught. So I left and took a walk alone” he added.

“Why didn’t you ask me to walk with you?” she asked curiously.

He smiled at her question, “You were busy getting all excited with the girls and I needed the time alone earlier”. Seeing her nod to his answer, he couldn’t help but gave out a loud sigh.

She looked up and noticed the frown on his face. She got up and walked to him. Cupping his face with her two hands, she asked “What’s bothering you Kim Taeyeon? You’re making me scared right now” she said.

“Are you envious? I mean, everyone is getting married and I bet it’s only a matter of time before my dearest baby sister gets engaged or married” he said, looking ahead at the scenery and not her.

“Wh..what? No, I’m not” she muttered. She was flushed at the question thrown by him.

“That’s a lie a Sooyeon. I want your honest feeling.” He turned and looked at her. He noticed the hesitant look in her eyes and frowned.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been so bold as to ask you that. I just…” he trailed off as he didn’t know what else to say.

“It’s okay. I do feel envious but that doesn’t mean you have to follow their footsteps Taengoo. I mean, everyone will have their moment, right? Besides, we’re already acting like a married couple..” she said softly. Deep inside, she was hoping that he would put an official status for them. She is hoping to start a family with him. She wants nothing more than to bear his kids and grow old with him.

He sighed and stared at her before pulling her in for a tight hug. “Just so you know I am going to marry you someday.” He whispered making her shiver at his whisper.

“Is that a promise?” she asked as she returned the hug and leaned her head into the crook of his neck and took in his sweet scent which she has grown to love over the years they’ve been together.

“I can make it one, if you want it to be” he answered and kissed her ears while his right hand her long brunette tresses.

“Then I’ll wait for that day to come” she said and kissed his jaw.

“Thank you.” He said as they stayed in that embrace for a while before pulling away. They shared a passionate kiss and enjoyed the scenery with Taeyeon back hugging her.

“I love it when we’re in this position” Sooyeon said as she leaned her head back to Taeyeon’s chest with her head slightly tilted to the side so that Taeyeon can rest his face on her shoulder.

“Why is that princess?”

“Because it makes me feels safe. Wait, scratch that you always make me feels safe and calm” she added and she rubbed his hands that was on top of hers. He smiled at her answer and just tightens their embrace.

 

He was already settled in bed with his phone in his hand as we looked through the emails and schedules that were sent to him as he waits for her to join him in bed. A few minutes later, put aside his phone and something came to his mind. He stared at Sooyeon that was seated at the dressing table. He didn’t hear her calling out to him until something hit him. He looked down to see a tissue box on his lap.

He looked up with a confused expression. “Why’d you throw this at me?” he asked as he picked up the box and looked at her.

“You were zoned out and didn’t even hear me calling your name five times so I had to throw something to get your attention. What were you thinking about anyway? You looked so serious.”

“Erm… Someone suddenly came to my mind” he said.

“Who were you thinking about?” she asked looking at him from the mirror.

“Donghae”

“Errrr.. okay. Why are you thinking about him?” she asked feeling rather odd at her boyfriend’s answer.

“I was just wondering about him. I mean he couldn’t have just left you alone when you rejected him right? You said he loves you, so shouldn’t he still pursue you and try to fight for you?”

“You want him to do that? You want him to pursue me until I fall for him?” she asked as she made her way to the bed and straddled him with a confused look on her face.

“Well, not like that I mean it’s weird. So much for loving you if he’s not gonna try and fight for you just because you said no. It’s like he didn’t mean it.” He said and shrugged his shoulders.

“Okay baby, it’s weird to be talking to my boyfriend about the guy that I briefly dated. It’s even weird to hear my boyfriend saying all this things. Shouldn’t you be happy that he gave up and isn’t harassing me?” she asked as she leaned forward to kiss him.

“Well, yeah I’m glad but suddenly the thought of confronting him just crossed my mind. I can imagine how angry and unhappy he would be when you still chose me over him” he smiled.

“Okay. Let’s stop talking about him. It’s weird. Now, you have to make it up to me for lying to me just now” she said seductively.

“Gladly” he said and turned them over with her beneath him and he pulled the covers over them.