Chapter 12

Goodnight My Love

Upon his arrival, he was swarmed by the paparazzi due to the sensation that he has created all around the world. Being the first solo act to have a world tour was a big deal to the nation. It was even more chaotic when he had a special performance in Seoul for a special someone.

“Hyung is finally back. Have you managed to meet up with him?” Yoong asked his girlfriend as they were strolling along Han River at night.

“Not yet. I haven’t been able to contact oppa. I’ll give him some time to rest first. He must be exhausted after the tour..”

“Yeah.. I bet his tired.”

“Hyoyeon’s oppa birthday is around the corner, what should we get him? I’m sure Woori unnie will throw a party for him..”

“I almost forgot about his birthday. I’m not sure either. Let’s wait a while more before we decide? I’ll try to scoop out from hyung what he would like. You think your brother will be there?”

“Of course he will. Hyoyeon oppa is our cousin. Why wouldn’t he come?”

“What if he’s avoiding Sica noona?”

“ I don’t think he will.”

“How’s noona doing anyway? It’s been 3 months since hyung left. Has she moved on?”

“She seems to be doing fine but I’m not sure if it’s just a mask to hide the truth.” She shrugged and lay her head on his shoulder.

 

‘So he’s back. How are you Taengoo? Do you miss me as much as I miss you? Have you moved on and forgotten me?’ She thought as she watched the news on his return. It’s been months since he left and she’s still not over him. Everyday, she yearns for his touch and kisses.

She switched off the TV and left her room. Her relatives were all gathered at the Jung Residence to have a get-together. The sound of little kids laughing and shouting were heard. She looked out the window to see her niece and nephews running around the backyard having fun. She smiled at the sight. She made her way to another room and ran her fingers along the beautiful instrument. She delicately placed her fingers on the black and white keyboard. Slowly, she began playing a song..

No matter how many times I look at you, I can’t see you, oh baby
Because of the tears in my eyes, all because of you
My crying face that is reflecting above the spread letters, oh baby
I promise myself I wouldn’t cry again, but I’m crying again

What do I do, I don’t know what to do, what to do
This is me, I don’t know why I’m going crazy like this
All because of you, really because of you
I can’t do anything, I

Love you as much as the star, stars, stars, stars
I came for you, to find you, you’re that shining star
Stars, stars, stars, no matter what I say
I really can’t express myself
I’m frustrated now, what should I do now

No matter how many times I count, I can’t see the end, oh baby
Because of all the memories that are in my heart, I think of you again
I couldn’t say everything that I wanted to, so I  say everything to myself, oh baby
I want you back, I want to go back to your side

I’m pleading to you, please, I’m pleading to you
To the sky, my prayer goes to the sky
Cheer me up, cheer me up
Please, where are you now

Stars, stars, stars, stars, talk to me
Is it over? Is that it? Answer me, don’t just laugh
Stars, stars, stars, stars, I’m pleading to you
Just for once, my love
Let me fly to your side

Star, star, star, ooh baby, star, star, star ohh

I love you as much as the stars, stars, stars, stars
I came for you, to find you, you’re that far shining star
Stars, stars, stars, no matter what I say
I really can’t express myself
I’m frustrated now, what should I do now..?

 

Unknowingly, a figure was standing by the door, listening to her silent plea. All along, she thought that the girl has finally calmed down and let it go. Little did she know that all this while, she was putting on a mask. She understands that it is not easy to move on but it hurts her to see the latter in that state. When he left, he told her to make sure she moves on but she has failed. Unable to bear the silence any longer, she broke it.

“I didn’t know you can play the piano that well. I thought you only can sing..” she said, still leaning against the wall, staring at her back.

“Well, that’s what you get when you fall in love and date an extremely talented guy. He imparts his talents to you..”

“I thought you’ve let it go. I thought you’ve moved on since, you agreed to go on a date with Donghae.”

“Just because I agree, doesn’t mean I stop loving him and just forget about him. You can’t just un-love someone Tiff. No when it’s someone that you’ve spent years with.”

“I know you can’t just un-love someone but I just hope that you’re sincere about Donghae. Give him a chance? For all you know, he might be the one for you..?”

“I only agreed because you have been getting on my nerves. I can’t promise anything Tiff. My heart is still with him no matter what.. Sure, I’ve gone on 2 dates with him but I don’t know how it’ll end up, especially now that Taeyeon is back..”

“Don’t even think about barging into his apartment again Jung. Just because you know his code, doesn’t mean you should go there as and when you like..”

“I can’t help if Tiff. I go to places that only I and he knows just to feel his presence embrace me. Everytime I pray that he’ll be there, waiting for me..”

“Jessi..” she couldn’t say anything else as she watch her dear cousin in tears. She walked up to her and sat next to her and hugged her. She knows that it’s not her hug that she yearns for but it’s enough to comfort her.

 

He sat there all alone with the 4 walls staring at him. Every part of the room had memories that he will never forget, memories that they shared together. Nothing has changed in the room, except for the beddings. Everything else was in place just like how it was before he stepped out of his used to be sanctuary. Every place, and every corner of the house was precious to him. He wandered around the house, trying to reminisce all the events that has taken place in his life.

 ‘It’s been 3 years since I’ve debuted and it’s been 3 years since I left home.’ He thought as he wandered aimlessly around the house. He can’t deny of how much he missed being at home with his family but that was the sacrifice he had to make when he chose this path. Nevertheless, he was thankful for their support in his decision even though he knew that his father wasn’t too keen of his decision.

He found himself standing outside the room where he frequents with his sister whenever they needed to practice or when they’re down. They seek each other’s comfort whenever they’re down and it was always in this room where they’ll be found. It was their haven together. He smiled, as he recalled the memories that he had of this room. He couldn’t help it but to walk nearer to the object that was the main highlight of the room.

As I think only of you all day
A single stream of tear flows on its own

Because in every step I take, your image keeps haunting me
Even when I’m working, again they flow without me knowing

Even when I sing
Even when I walk the streets
I’m filled with thoughts you

I wonder if you’re hurt like me
I wonder if you’re crying like me
I wonder if all day long you’re living in memories like this,
like me

Even reluctantly, there are so many things to smile about
Like a wind-up doll, like it’s my job, I smile.

Even when I sing
Even when I walk the streets
I’m filled with thoughts you

I wonder if you’re hurt like me
I wonder if you’re crying like me
I wonder if all day long you’re living in memories like this,
like me

Because I smile everyday
Because I only let you see me smile
Maybe you only know that I’m happy

How am I supposed to smile?
How am I supposed to smile when you’re not there
I smile, then I smile, even so, again the tears flow

I wonder if you’re hurt like me
I wonder if you’re crying like me
I wonder if all day long you’re living in memories like this,
like me….

The loneliness in his heart was too much for him to bear. He misses her so badly. The past 3 months was aggravating for him knowing that once he returns, the warmth that he seeks isn’t there. No one knew of the pain and loneliness except for his manager, stylist and co-ordinator. They were there with him through it all. They were the only family he had when he was thousand miles away from home.

‘How are you Sooyeon? Are you still hurting? Have you moved on and find a replacement?’ questions flooded his mind and he thought of her.

“There you are oppa! I’ve been looking everywhere for you. I thought you left again!” Seohyun sighed, relieved that she finally found her beloved brother.

“You sure know where to find me dongsaeng.” He answered with his back still facing her. He didn’t want her to see him in such state. He didn’t want her to see this side of him.

“Oppa, are you okay? You sound different.”

“I’m fine hyunnie. I’ll be down shortly. You can go first”

“You know you can’t lie to me oppa.”

“I know Seohyun but I’m not lying. I’m fine. I’m just having a slight flu.”

“As much as I want to believe you oppa, I know that you’re distracted. I know that you miss unnie, oppa.”

He smiled to himself as he heard her. She knows him too well. “I do miss her Hyunnie, In fact I miss her a lot. The past few months hasn’t been easy for me..” all she could do at that moment was to be by his side, and support every decision that he makes and comfort him in times of need.

 

Host: “Everyone! Our next guest is someone who has been travelling around the world making name for himself and spreading the Hallyu culture. He’s finally here after months of trying to get him on the show! He’s none other than the talented Kim Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon: “Hello everyone. I’m Kim Taeyeon. It’s great to finally be here!” he politely bowed to the audience.

Host: “Taeyeon-shi, it was really hard to get you on the show after you finished your world tour. We’re really glad that you’re finally here with us on Strong Heart!”

Taeyeon: “Oh yes. I’m very sorry about that it’s just that I needed time to recuperate and I also wanted to spend more time with my family and friends and also checking on the company’s progress and stuff. So after I came back, I kind of requested not to have any schedules for a while.”

Host: “Check on company’s progress? You mean your family’s business?”

Taeyeon: “Yes.”

Host: “Isn’t someone else in charge of it?”

Taeyeon: “Yeah, my dongsaeng is in charge of the company but I’m still involved in all the developments and decision makings. I’m still assisting behind the scene. I don’t go to office often but whenever there is any issues, it will be directed to me first before we bring the matter to the board and such.”

Host: “Ohh. We thought you’re just a singer, Taeyeon-shi.”

Taeyeon: “Nope. Whenever I’m not promoting, I’m usually occupied with the business matters.” He answered with a smile

Host: “Now that we’re done with that topic, we can’t not talk about your concert. It stirred a huge commotion in town. Let’s take a look at your concert footage.”

 

Everyone was watching the footage attentively except for Taeyeon. The moment he saw the start of it, he knew he was in for a lot of questions. ‘Should I be completely honest? Or should I make up stories? Or deny whatever they’re gonna say?’ He was contemplating. Although he know that both Kang Ho Dong and Lee Seunggi won’t press him too much, he felt that he should be frank, hoping that it’ll make future artist realize the sacrifices that they’ll have to make by choosing this path.

Kang Ho Dong: “Taeyeon-shi, after watching the clip, we can’t not ask you the obvious. Can you share with us about that performance? We believe that this performance only happened in Seoul and not the other countries, is it true?”

Taeyeon: “Yes, that is true.”

Kang Ho Dong: “Can you share with us the reason for that performance?”

Taeyeon: “The reason is love” he answered calmly. He felt all eyes on him, waiting for him to continue his story. He gathered all the strengths left in him and voiced out.

Lee Seunggi: “Love?”

Taeyeon: “I’m just like any ordinary guy that fall in love with the most amazing woman.”

Kang Ho Dong: “Is it possible for you to share the story with us?”

Taeyeon: “You see, I wasn’t scouted at an early age. I became an artist after joining the singing competition. So, I led a normal life before becoming a singer. I met a girl, and I fell in love and we had an amazing love story until I chose this path as a career instead of the path that was already set for me.”

Lee Seunggi: “So what happened now? You guys broke up?”

Taeyeon: “I wouldn’t use the term break up instead I would use walk out.”

Lee Seunggi: “She walked out on you?”

Taeyeon: “No. I walked out on her.”

Everyone was shocked at his confession. No one had expected him to be that frank and when they learn about it, they were taken back. Taeyeon had his head hanging low as he answered the host. Somehow, he was embarrassed by the confession made and felt his heart clenched as memories of that fateful night played in his head.

Guest: “Why did you walk out?”

Taeyeon: “I felt like the biggest jerk on the planet when I did that but I had to. I couldn’t bear it any longer.”

Kang Ho Dong: “You can’t stand being with her?”

Taeyeon: “I can’t bear to look at her. I couldn’t bear to see her standing right before me, trying to put up a strong front for me when the truth is that she’s broken, tired and hurt and I’m the reason for it. So many times, I try to hold back my tears when I stand before her because her eyes say the words that can never be express.”

Taeyeon: “She was in pain. She was tired. Things got harder as the years goes by. I broke all promises that I made and was never there for her when she needed me. I wasn’t able to hold her at night and keep her warm like I used to.”

Kang Ho Dong: “So, you chose career over her?

Taeyeon: “I reached the point where I really had to choose between love and career. If I could, I would’ve chosen her without a doubt but at that point, I couldn’t because many parties are involved and I had to be rational. I couldn’t give in to my emotions.”

Taeyeon: “In the end, I did the only thing that I believe was the right thing. I let her go. Leaving her means that she can be free. Free from the pain that emotional pain that I’ve put her through.”

Lee Seunggi: “You keep saying pain, but what kind of pain?”

Taeyeon: “It’s not easy for a lady to not be able to show her affection to her boyfriend in public. Very often, she had to restrain herself and I felt bad. I’ve missed a lot of the important dates in our lives and no matter how I try to make up for it, I know that she’s still hurt and upset.”

Lee Seunggi: “So, the song was self -composed?”

Taeyeon: “Yes. The performance was a very special one as throughout the concert, I was focused on her. The video playing was a compilation of our memories together and during the song, a bouquet of flower was given to her by the staff. I felt that it was the most proper goodbye for her..”

Kang Ho Dong: “Do you still love her?”

Taeyeon: “You don’t just un-love someone, do you? Especially the one that you’ve been in love with all your life. She was not just my love, she was the best friend, she was everything I needed.”

Taeyeon: “If you look inside a girl, you would see how much she really cries, you would find out so many secrets and lots of lies but what you’ll see the most is how hard it is to stay strong when nothing is right and everything is wrong.

His answer left everyone in the studio speechless. The pain was evident in his eyes. He had his head hanging low, unable to life it up to face the audience. After the confession, they took a break and Taeyeon made his way to his dressing room where his team was waiting for him. They all tried to comfort him and calmed him down before the recording continues.

“Kim Taeyeon! Hang in there. You will pull this through. True love will overcome any barriers and if you guys are meant to be, nothing can ever separate the two of you..” the stylist told him as they all circled around him to comfort him. They are the closest he has to a family when he started his career. They were there with him through ups and down and was the only family he had when he was away for tour.

“Thank you guys. Thank you for being here with me through all the hardships.” He sincerely told them. They just smiled and hugged him in return.

 

*2nd half of Strong Heart*

The crowd cheered loudly as all the guest took their places and started writing on their title boards. The audience were excited and curious as to what stories will be shared today. He enjoyed listening to all the stories shared by the other guests. He wasn’t fully prepared to share his story but he felt that it was better to let it off and hopefully it’ll do him good.

Kang Ho Dong: “Our next challenger just came back taming the world, he’s non-other than the multi-talented Kim Taeyeon!”

Lee Seunggi: “Taeyeon-shi, your title says Only Tears. What does it mean?”

Taeyeon: “Only Tears is a song composed by me. It’s a song that means a lot to me, ever since my return and I gave it to Infinite.”

Kang Ho Dong: “Why did you?”

Kim Taeyeon: “Because I don’t think I can ever bring that song without being too emotional and they did very well with the song.”

Kang Ho Dong: “What’s the incident behind Only Tears?”

Taeyeon: “Earlier on, I talk a little bit about my life, right? So now, there’s a little more to it.”

Lee Seunggi: “Please share with us.”

Taeyeon: “Only Tears was composed in a short period of time after 2 incidents. You see, after I return, I didn’t really meet up with my friends nor did I keep in touch with them. The first week of my return, I just stayed indoor trying to get a full 12 hours of sleep and do nothing except laze around. After that, I went back home and stayed with my family. Throughout the whole time I’ve been back. I’ve been trying to avoid her, not because I hate her but because I can’t face her.

Kang Ho Dong: “Is it easy to avoid her?”

Taeyeon: “Not at all. We have the same clique of friends. There’s like 10 of us and we’re best friends. A total of 5 couples and we’re best friend with each other so, if I want to avoid her, I couldn’t meet up with the rest of them.”

Lee Seunggi: “You must feel bad about it.” He sympathized.

Taeyeon: “Yeah, I do but I finally managed to meet them on two separate occasions and it was more than I could handle.”

Guests: “Why? “Why?”

 

“Oppa, where are you? You promised that you’ll turn up today! It’s our cousin’s birthday oppa!” the voice over the line said disappointedly. He had promised that he will be there but he was still nowhere in sight and she was afraid that he’ll bail, although he has never done that before.

“Hyunnie, I’m driving over right now. I’m just a little late because I was picking a gift for Hyoyeon. I told you I’ll be there, right? Besides, he’s our cousin and my best friend. I’ll hang up now. See you there.” He hanged up without waiting for her reply. She knew he never bails but in his current situation, he would love to make an escape.

“Am I ready to face her? Will I crumble if I see her? Is she gonna hate me?” he questioned himself as he drove to the destination. Shortly after, he reached the destination and carefully made his way to the building. He didn’t bother to cover up since it was a private party. He reached the gift table and left his present there. Instead of looking for his cousin, he went around to look for the elders first.

“Hello aunty!” he scared the old lady but was returned with a warm hug by her.

“Oh my dear! You’re finally home Taeyeon-ah. I was beginning to miss you! How have you been?” she bombarded him with questions He patiently entertained her before they were interrupted by a deep voice.

“Aah! I heard the star Kim Taeyeon was here.”

He turned around and received a bear hug from his cousin’s father. “Uncle! How have you been? I miss you!!” he told him sincerely. He lingered there for a while to catch up with them before finding the birthday boy.

“Happy birthday dude!” he shouted behind the birthday boy. He was taken by surprise when the boy suddenly jumped onto him and never let go. All eyes were on them and everyone was laughing at the scene.

“Dude! People are watching and they’re gonna misunderstand! Get off me!” Tae whispered to his cousin while trying to pull away.

“No can do man.. You’ve been gone for too long. I miss my cousin!” he answered and pat him before finally realesing the poor singer. Taeyeon just smiled at his response and nodded his head, agreeing to whatever that was said.

The rest of the gang took turn to welcome him and hugged him as they all missed him. Despite the attention and focused that he’s receiving, he still felt empty as she wasn’t there. His eyes were roaming around the room, with hope to find a certain brunette that his heart missed dearly.

“She’s not here yet. She’s caught in a meeting and will be here shortly.” Tiffany told him as she pat his shoulders. His shoulder slumped upon her words. Not wanting to ruin the moment, he walked up to the shikshin.

“Hey Soo! Congrats on the engagement. Never thought that you’d be the first one to get married!” He stayed a while longer and catches up with the rest of them. No words can describe how much he misses all of them. However, despite having a great time with them, he still had a sense on loneliness and emptiness. ‘She’s still not here. Does she not want to see me anymore?’ he thought to himself as he took a sip of the drink. He quietly left the room and made his way out. He needed a breather.

He stood outside, admiring the beautiful scenery before him. the sparkling stars and full moon. He continued walking aimlessly when his movement came to a halt as he smelt a familiar scent. A scent that he’s been in love with all his life. He lifted his head, and there she was, stunning as ever. He wanted to reach out to her, but never had the courage to. He withdrew back his hands as they attempted to reach out to her. ‘What right do you have to reach out to her? To be near her? Have you forgotten what you’ve put her through?’ he scolded himself as he realized that he has to walk away, away from her.

He stood there, watching her from afar. Admiring her beauty that never fails to mesmerizes him. ‘You look so much better than you were before Sooyeon. Have you finally moved on? Have you met someone else and love him?’ the thought of her in someone else’s arms is too painful to imagine. Seeing her turning to his direction, he immediately turned away; his back facing her. With a heavy and broken heart, he walked away with heavy steps. His lips twisted into a frown and tears welled in his eyes as he slowly took steps away from her.

 

Guest: “How did you manage to find the strength to walk away?”

Taeyeon: “It was easier when I wasn’t looking at her, when I had my back turned to her. Honestly, it was hard and painful to walk away from the one person that you love but once you made a choice, you have to stick by it and believe that it’s the right choice.”

Kang Ho Dong: “So, that was your first encounter with her after your return?”

Taeyeon: “Yes”

Kang Ho Dong: “Does she know about it?”

Taeyeon: “I believe she doesn’t because it was dark and I doubt she knew it was me and there wasn’t anyone around us at that moment.”

Lee Seunggi: “So what happened next?”

Taeyeon: “The second time I was at my best friend’s wedding.”

 

“Taeng! I want you to be my best man, just like the rest.” Soo told him during dinner. Finally, they had the chance to meet up and catch up, just them boys.

“Erm, I’m not sure if I can.” He voiced out softly, afraid of the reaction that he’ll receive from the about-to-be- groom.

“What?!!” he raised his voice, ignoring all the stares that he was receiving. The other guys were also shocked by what the singer just said.

“Dude! What the hell man. We’re best friends. How could you just say that to Soo?!” Yul whacked him.

“Look, personal feelings aside Taeng. This is our best friend’s wedding. We’re all friends.” His cousin added on.

“Hyung, Seohyun won’t be pleased if she finds out. In fact, I think all the noonas will be pissed.” Yoong added on.

“You bet they are!” Soo said, furious.

“Look, I will still be there, I just won’t be your best man. It’s better that way.”

“This means a lot to me and Sunny. You have to be there and be the best man. Only then will it feel complete.” All eyes were on him as their jaw dropped.

“Dude, did you just say that? You sounded damn cheesy!” Hyo said feigning his grossness. The rest nodded their head and laughed at the remark.

“Oh Shut up. Do you know the trouble I’ll get into with Sunny if you refuse? Please Taeng, don’t make me go on my knees” the shikshin pleaded.

“If I be your best man, I’m guessing I’m walking down the aisle with her, right?” he whispered with his head down. The guys were speechless and could only look at him with sympathy.

“Unfortunately, yes Taeng. But remember, you made the decision. You chose to walk out. So you have to live with it. I know it’s not gonna be easy, but please. Do it as a favour for me and Sunny.” Soo said as he placed his hands on his shoulder and tighten his grip.

“Fine, but what time is the ceremony? I need to check my schedule and if I do have a schedule, I may not be able to back out.”

“It’s in 2 weeks’ time, on the 10th

“. I’ve got schedule.”

“Can’t you make any changes?”

“I’ll try and ask my manager later on. Does she know she’ll be partnering with me?”

“Why? You don’t want her to know?”

“I figured it’ll be better if she doesn’t. Just surprise her?”

“Alright. I’ll tell Sunny later on”

 

Unfortunately, Taeyeon could not avoid the schedule, thus, he had to disappoint hid buddy. His friends was mad furious at him but nevertheless, they were still glad that he was able to come to the wedding.

‘I hope I reach there on time. They wouldn’t be too happy if I missed out the ceremony.’ Taeng said to himself as he sped through the road to get to the wedding on time. Upon reaching the venue, he immediately rushed in and managed to take a sit before the ceremony started. Although he knows that a sit has been reserved for him, he didn’t want to distract the ceremony hence he just sat at the back and witnessed the wedding.

Sitting there made him feel alienated as everyone came with a partner except for him. He was seated in between two couple we made his heart ached as he saw how affectionate the couples were. As he was about to find another sit, the song began. He stayed in his sit and watched as the brides walk in, followed by the bridesmaid.

His eyes locked onto a familiar brunette that walked down the aisle gracefully and beautifully. “Beautiful as ever Sooyeon” he muttered. He was blown away, like he usually does. Not wanting to be noticed by the others, he immediately took a sit and watched as the ceremony proceeded. After the ceremony, everyone proceeded to the reception area.

“Alright everyone, to get this party more hyped up, we have here a really talented singer who is well known all around the world, Kim Taeyeon!” the DJ announced and everyone cheered as they heard the familiar name. Taeyeon went to the dance floor and took the mike from the DJ.

“Thank you for the great welcome everyone. So, before I sing for the couple, I would like to give a speech.

“First of all, I’m shocked that you guys are the first to tie the knot. In all honesty, I expected Yul and Tiffany since they’re always so mushy with each other. Nevertheless, I have to say that I’m happy for you guys. Soo, I salute you for having the courage to propose and I can see know that you’re ready to begin a new chapter in your life. Guys, this marks a new beginning, a new chapter in your life. I’m sure life will throw you a lot of obstacles, but I know you guys will overcome no matter what. Sunny, no one can tame this giant Shikshin better than you, and Sooyoung, no one can stand Sunny’s aegyo except for you, therefore you guys are meant to be. I wish you long happiness and hope that this friendship between us, last till eternity. Lastly, thank you for everything you guys have done.” He finished his speech with a bow and hugged the couple.

“The song that I’m about to sing, is dedicated to both the men and ladies.”

When the stars are in her eyes
And the sun is in her smile
The only moment in a life
That happens the same time
Is When a Woman Loves a Man

She’ll be a mother and child
Sacrifice her days and nights
And no other will exist
She’ll put her life in every kiss
When a Woman Loves a Man

And you’ll be amazed at when you’re stumbling
She’ll fight for you
And won’t let you give in
She’ll do all that she can
When a Woman Loves a Man

A soothing breeze always blows
Somebody understands another soul
It’s like the planets have aligned
Every sentence have a rhyme
When a Woman Loves aMan

Oh, you’ll be amazed how when
You’re needing it
She’ll fight for you
From the beginning to the end
And she’ll do all that she can
When a Woman Loves a Man

It’s the greatest gift of all
Knowing that unconditionally
She’ll catch you when you fall

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
Ooooh Yeah
When a Woman Loves a Man

When the stars are in her eyes
And the sun is in her smile
She’ll be a mother and a child
But all at the same time
When a Woman Loves a Man

She’ll be your air
She’ll be your life
She’ll make the sacrifice
When a Woman Loves a Man

 

Loud cheers and applause were heard as he finished the song. He humbly bowed and made his way to the DJ to return the mike but was joined by Hyo, Yul and Yoong.

“What are you guys doing here? Are you guys giving your speech?”

“Nope. We’re gonna sing for them Taeng, with you.” Hyo said.

“What?!”

“Yeap.”

“But what song??”

“Uptown Girl!” with that the music began.

Uptown girl 
She's been living in her uptown world 
I bet she never had a back street guy 
I bet her mama never told her why 

I'm gonna try for an uptown girl 
She's been living in her white bread world 
As long as anyone with hot blood can 
And now she's looking for a downtown man 
That's what I am 

And when she knows what 
She wants from her time 
And when she wakes up 
And makes up her mind 

She'll see I'm not so tough 
Just because 
I'm in love with an uptown girl 
You know I've seen her in her uptown world 
She's getting tired of her high class toys 
And all her presents from her uptown boys 
She's got a choice 

Uptown girl 
You know I can't afford to buy her pearls 
But maybe someday when my ship comes in 
She'll understand what kind of guy I've been 
And then I'll win 

And when she's walking 
She's looking so fine 
And when she's talking 
She'll say that she's mine 

 

Halfway through the song, they went up to the groom and dragged him with them and they sang it together, enjoying themselves. Once the song ended, everyone cheered loudly for them and they just smiled and shared a brotherly group hug, while whispering their wishes to each other.

After all that happenings, he needed a breather and so he took a walk outside. As he strolled outside, he couldn’t help but think about Sooyeon. He smiled to himself unconsciously as he thought about how pretty she is. His movement came to a halt as he heard a familiar giggling voice.

He looked up and with unblinking eyes, his gaze captured every single angle of the woman’s face. No words could express his agony as he watched her laughing and smiling away with him. With tears in his eyes, a quaver in his throat, tears streamed down his cheeks to the ground.

Slowly, with a heavy and broken heart, he turned away, only to see a couple staring at him with sympathy evident in their eyes. He walked past the couple to an unknown direction. He sat himself at the water breaker and stared blankly at the sea. The great pain and sorrow totally shattered him.

“This was what you wanted Kim Taeyeon. For her to move on and be in love with someone else. You want her to feel the joy of being in love!” He scolded himself for breaking down. He shouted and screamed his heart out, with hope that it’ll numb the pain but he knew that it was useless. Two pair of arms draped over his shoulder and they pulled him close, trying to comfort him and be with him at times like this. It hurts them to see him in such state and all alone with no one to confide to.

“Taeng, please don’t do this to yourself. Please stay strong. It hurts me to see you like this.” Hyoyeon said as he rubbed his hand in circular motion on his back.

“Tae, I know it hurts but please. I need you to be strong, We’re here for you Taeyeon. You don’t have to bear it all alone.”

“Is he good? Is he treating her right? Is he better than me? Does she love him?” he asked with tears streaming down his face.

Woori couldn’t bear to watch him in that state. To witness him all broken is just too much for her to bear. This is the first time that she’s ever seen him in such a state and it’s extremely painful. “He’s alright Taeng.”

“She seems happier than before. Better than before. I guess it is time for me to let go, right? To walk away and never come back?”

“Taeng, you can’t just walk away. You’ll be able to overcome it. It will take time but you can’t just walk away. It will continue to hurt Taeng.” Hyo said as he pulled his cousin’s head and laid it on his shoulder.

“I’m sure things will get better in time Kim Taeyeon. Have faith. The course of true love never did run smoothly, right? True love will win all battle Taeyeon. So don’t give up.” Woori said and pat his back. They stayed there a little longer, comforting him. Shortly after, he decided to go home while the couple stayed. He slowly made his way to his car with his head down, not wanting the guest to see his puffy eyes.

 

“Taengoo” he came to a stop as he heard the sweet melodious voice calling out for him.

“Yes Sica?” he answered, his back still facing her. he didn’t have the strength to face her, for fear that he’ll just succumb to the emotions.

“Why won’t you even look at me?”

Hearing the pleading voice, he knew she was pouting. Mastering all the courage he had, he took a deep breath and turned.

“What is it Sooyeon?”

“I…I just wanted to see you..”

His heart sank as he heard the words coming out of . He was about to reply when he saw him walking towards them. Looking back at her, he finally spoke.

“You look amazing Sooyeon. You look so much better than you did before. You seem much healthier than when you were with me. Besides, you’re smiling and laughing now and that’s really good.” He choked on his words as he tried to hold back the tears.

“I gotta go Sooyeon. See you again.” He turned back immediately and walked away as the bucket of tears made its way down.

 

Gasps were heard as he finished his story. Everyone was tearing up, the females especially.

Taeyeon: “I’m so sorry that I made all of you cry with my story”

Guest: “No, it’s fine Taeyeon-shi. It’s you who we’re concerned about”

Lee Seunggi: “What did you do after that?”

Taeyeon: “What else can I do? I made a choice, and I have to live with it no matter what. I… I wanted her to feel the joy of being in love and I wanted her to move on. Now that she has, what else can I say or do? I can just watch from a far and make sure that she’s happy because that’s all that matters, her happiness.”

Taeyeon: “I can’t possibly walk back in and tell her to pick me. Whoever he is, he made her smile and laughed. He’s doing what I failed to do. If he makes her happy, than I’m happy. If he’s the reason that she’s a whole again, than that’s all that matters. We all make difficult choices in life. The hard thing is to live with it.”

And tears came before he could stop them, boiling hot then instantly freezing on his face, and what was the point in wiping them off? Or pretending? He let them fall. He sat there in mute misery, his face in his hands. No one said a thing. The studio was silence as they watch his tears streamed to the floor.

Kang Ho Dong: “Taeyeon-shi”

Taeyeon: “Yes?”

Kang Ho Dong: “Everyone will fall in love therefore love does exist but along with it is an archenemy -- and that is life but no matter what, remember that a true love story does not have an ending. If the love between the two of you is genuine and true, nothing will ever separate you.”