Chapter 25

Idols' Conflict

Previously...

The relationship between Bomin and Kyungsoo had been cleared of any misunderstandings.

It was the first time Bomin and Bowan had trained their skills and powers.

Bomin wanted to practice her power, but things went a little out of hand for her...


Another day of training. Hardcore training.  After the incident at the arena, I teleported Luhan, my brother and I back to the school before I out. When I woke up on my bed, my chest and the back of my head throbbed in pain. Groaning in discomfort, I sat up and saw a plate of food and a glass of water set on my bedside table. I smiled softly at the small act.

“Bomin?” Luhan came into my room with something in his hands. “Are you feeling better after yesterday? I gotta admit that was one hell of a ride for me.” He chuckled.

“Yeah, I’m good. Speaking of yesterday do you have an explanation for it? ‘Cuz I don’t even know what happened to me.” I scooted to the side for Luhan to take his seat next to me. “So?” His face was unreadable.

“Your powers are growing which is pretty obvious.” I flushed in embarrassment for not thinking about that earlier. “They’re growing at an exponentially fast rate. It’s abnormal.” He fidgeted with the object that was lying in his lap. I was going to ask him about it but decided against it. He’ll tell me when the time comes. “Now, usually Nether casters can control one power. Manipulating two is incredibly rare, but look at you. You have the five earth elements and the psychic element in your grasp. I’m sure you will control them perfectly with practice. You’re becoming very powerful. But with power comes danger. You’ve got to be careful, especially when you’re outside.”

I agreed with him, humming in approval.  

“I think you should know something about the beings of Netherland,” Luhan said, his face still expressionless.

“What is it?”

“Spirit cores. Everybody from Netherland has a spirit core. It’s where the ability to wield power originates from. The size of it determines how strong you are. A spirit core too small can conjure up nothing, so the bearer is, therefore, considered as a normal civilian. One of the right size and you’re looking at bursts of power.” He took a gulp of my water before continuing, “Yours is huge beyond comprehension. The same goes for your brother. I actually wouldn’t be very surprised if it turned out that you and Bowan possess all known, maybe even, unknown powers.”

That might explain what happened at the arena. I hummed again, taking the information in. I understood more about Bowan and myself. It was very interesting.

“Can you see my spirit core?” I asked Luhan

“Luckily, identifying spirit cores comes with my powers. Grab onto my hands and I’ll show you. Now close your eyes and try to think of nothing.”

I did as I was told.

Can you hear me?

Crystal clear, Luhan. 

Now, open your eyes.

It took me quite a while to soak in the sight in front of me. I gasped in awe and my mouth would not close. Wow. It’s so beautiful. Patterns of colours swirled around me. It was breathtaking. Like seriously. Trails of red mixed with blue flew gracefully in circles. Green, purple, metallic silver; different hues of shades mingled with each other.

It’s just an image, so you can’t touch it.

I rolled my eyes. Yes, Lu-mum. But it’s so pretty.

The illusion ended right after I said those words. I honestly had trouble opening my eyes physically because I still wanted to see my spirit core. It was what made, well, me.

“Bomin, look here.”

I ‘huh-ed’ in response and snapped my head to look at Luhan. He held the strange object that he brought in with him. It appeared similar to that of a crystal ball but it consisted of a clear-glass like material with the heads of two creatures that I didn’t know carved on each side of the ball.

After reading my thoughts, Luhan chuckled. “This is a Shaghin. It tells of your future in the form of colours as well as one’s dominant power which can only be deciphered by a being that can control telekinesis or telepathy. I know you're a very curious girl, so I stopped by an old friend of mine to fetch this for you and your brother.”

“You didn’t have to do that! Thank you, Luhan!” I wrapped my arms around him and gave him an enthusiastic hug. “How do you work it?”

“Just place your hand on it and let it do its thing.”

I did what he said and watched the patterns of hues swirl around inside. “What does it say, Luhan?” I was still transfixed by the globe. Red, black, white, blue, green and yellow mixed with each other, creating a beautiful sequence of tones. My head whipped up. I eyed Luhan when I didn’t hear his reply. “You okay there?” I asked when I saw his face. It was sickly pale and his eyes were emotionless. “Luhan?”

He blinked once which seemed to break his concentration when I shook his shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

A frown creased my forehead. “What happened?”

“Nothing.”

I rolled my eyes discretely. “You know that doesn’t help, Luhan. Tell me.” His face was still worryingly white.

“I—I’m sorry. I need to go.” And he just took off without sparing me one glance.

Strange.

I decided to ignore his behaviour for the time being and transported to the arena. What I saw, I did not expect.

“What the !” My body instinctively pivoted away from the peculiar creatures flying at me. They seemed familiar, but I was too busy defending myself from them to think about it. One of them screeched at me and slashed its razor claws near my face. Fortunately, I avoided all its attacks and countered them with my own. My leg snapped outwards to crush the side of its hideous face. I felt the corners of my lips lift in a smirk when my shoe connected. It shrieked in pain then collapsed to the ground. The others seemed to call out in fear and retreated to some place unknown to me.

I heard clapping coming from behind me and turned swiftly, ready to engage in a fight again, only to see Minseok with an amused, almost smug, expression. “That was something,” he said.

My eyes immediately narrowed at his tone. “Were you the one who released those animals on me?” I yelled at him, clearly annoyed that my life was potentially in danger.

“What would you do if I say yes?” His hands were clasped behind his back and I had a sneaking suspicion it was something he could defend himself with.

“I swear on my brother’s buns I would choke you.” My face was so close to his, I could smell the feigned innocence coming off him. He started running away from me while cackling and I knew his answer. “Come back you little piece of ! I will rip your ing hair off! I was so ing scared, I thought I was gonna die, you er!” I screamed at his back, chasing him while dodging the occasional tree and protruding rocks. He still had the audacity to laugh at me. Just wait, Minseok. You would regret ever making fun of me. Revenge could come later.

After catching my breath, I strode up to the weaponry stand towards the left of the targets. Running my fingers over the metal and wood, I pondered about my future. How would it look like? Would I be stuck here? Would I be fighting? Would I be dead? 

A shiver ran down my spine at the thought of Bowan’s unimaginable pain before I focused on grabbing a random weapon to have Minseok explain its background and purpose to me later. When I took a closer look at it, I realised it was unlike the ordinary sword, gun or bow. It was like a blacksmith welded two scythes together. It seemed to be emitting a buzzing sound but I could see no physical signs of its source. It irked me, but what happened made ice cold sweat drip down my neck.

“You’re Highness, Queen Aixia of Izeta. I, Zephon, pledge my fealty to you for the protection of Izeta; for the future of Izeta and for you, Queen Aixia.”

With a sharp intake of air, I flung the weapon away from as if it was scathing my skin. “What the hell!”

Hearing my outburst, Minseok ran up to me and placed his hands on my shoulder, squeezing them. “What’s wrong?”

My eyes closed tightly. “It spoke to me.” I could only hear my shaking breaths and my palpitating heart. Who are Aixia, Izeta and Zephon? What do those names mean?

Minseok caught sight of the weapon lying almost pitifully on the ground. With a shocked gasp, his eyes widened and his gazed turned back to me. “Nohpez spoke to you? Wait, better question, why is it even here? I thought it was locked away.”

I frowned at him in confusion. “Minseok, I wasn’t hallucinating. I heard crystal clear. It spoke to me.”

“What did it say?”

I recounted what happened in the past few minutes and Minseok’s face seemed to become paler.

He whispered the words ‘fealty’ and ‘Aixia’ while darting his eyes all over the place to make sense of the situation. “It was communicating with you. I believe it has acknowledged you as its new owner and Queen by vowing its loyalty and life. But Queen Aixia? I don’t know about that. It must be your name is Nohpez called you that.”

The furrow on my brows couldn’t go away with Minseok’s deduction. “So where’d it come from?”

“The weapon was made eons ago by an unknown blacksmith. It was thought to possess a soul inside and was considered the most powerful weapon in history; the same goes for the warrior who held it.”

“Hm.” My hand made its way to cup my chin in thought. “I guess we have to find that out.” I made my way over to the weapon. Its body shone under the burthens of the artificial sun. There was something pulling me towards it. Like a bond.

Looking at the weapon from afar, I realised just how breathtakingly beautiful it was. The two blades —one curved and the other one shaped like an awkward ‘s’— were connect by an inter-hilt. Different shades of pink, deep purple, blue and orange seemed to slither across the surface of the weapon where the light hit.

Stepping closer to it, I sensed a tug on my mind. Like in Luhan’s training from a few days ago, I clamped it shut with imaginary steel walls and rooms with no exit or entrance. It was still trying to break in, but I sensed no ill intentions. Despite there being no danger, I wasn’t taking any risks. When I glanced at Minseok, he didn’t seem to be affected at all by the intrusion. Concentrating on my mental barrier, my legs took me to the weapon casted on the grass. I spotted Minseok beside me with my peripheral vision being as quiet as possible. My arm reached out to gingerly hold the resting weapon. However, a sudden blast of warm air and thick odourless smog erupted from the direction of it. I was so surprised my throat became clogged as I took a few steps back as did Minseok.

With my sharp vision and hearing, forearms tensing in anticipation, I heard a faint baritone voice calling out and spotted a grey figure slowly coming towards me. Once the smog cleared a man in, what appeared to be, in his mid-thirties stood in front of me. He had a gentle face free from any facial hair. Despite his soft face, his eyes showed years of unimaginable pain and suffering. I could also see vast intelligence and wait, is that a mischievous look?

“My Queen, I apologise for startling you earlier.” The man crossed both of his arms over his chest and lowered his head until his chin rested above his arms as he bent his right knee.

My arms flailed while I stuttered, “No, no! Stand up! It’s my fault for not being aware!” I didn’t want to be rude and touch him without consent, but he stayed rooted on the ground in the same position which tempted me to place my hands on him.

“I should be shunned for my actions. You may punish me in any way you desire.”

Now, that was a little bit harsh for scaring me. What he said only made me more flustered and embarrassed. “Please stand up. You did nothing wrong.” I had no choice but to force him to rise up from the ground. I couldn’t help but be very confused when he started to bow deeply in gratitude while muttering that he had been blessed by my hands. However, I quickly focused on something else. If it wasn’t for the pin-drop silence, I wouldn’t have noticed Minseok at all. I turned to face him and took note on how pale his face had become. “Minseok, what’s wrong?”

His eyes flitted cautiously from me to Zephon. “Who-who are you?”

“I am Zephon. You may know me as Nohpez or Harpe of Izeta.” Zephon’s hard-set gaze fixed on Minseok’s figure, analysing him. I could have sworn his feet had inched closer to me.

Minseok’s eye doubled in shock as his hands flew to cover his mouth. “Oh, my gosh! We need to go to Luhan now!”

———

We (plus my brother. I was almost embarrassed when Zephon decided to do that pledge with my brother and he called him ‘King Anka’) were seated in my room after I had transported everybody back to the dorms. Of course, Kiseop and Eli were arguing over the proper way to prepare celery for a meal. And their bickering provided great background noise for our discussion. Junyoung had invited himself in my room despite the many protests from Bowan, Minseok and Luhan. Zephon just narrowed his eyes and moved to stand behind my chair, whereas Bowan glared daggers. Junyoung surprised me immensely by lifting me off the chair and placing me on his lap after he sat down.

“Jun! What the hell are you doing?” I yelled at him when I finally grasped his actions.

“Putting you on my lap. Comfortable?” The smug expression on his face made my hand twitch in annoyance but I made no move. “Just ignore me,” Junyoung said when he caught the rest of the men staring at him.

“I suggest you not do anything to Queen Aixia while I am here,” Zephon warned him. I swore I felt Junyoung jump in fright. And my brother smirked in amusement.

“O-okay, sir.” His arms wound around my waist a little too tightly but I didn’t mind.

Chuckling silently to myself, I focused my eyes on to Luhan and Minseok who were waiting with hardened expressions.

“Let’s start,” Luhan said. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you much about the nation that you and Bowan will be ruling over. Its real name is Izeta, which roughly translates to other world.” He paused to clear his throat. “So, from what Minseok told me, Zephon, you vowed your fealty to Bomin and to Bowan not long ago.” Said man nodded in acknowledgment while moving to stand beside me. “May you tell us why you addressed the twins as Aixia and Anka?”

“It just came to me. I had no control over the urge to call them those names. The moment I saw Queen Aixia and King Anka, I knew they would be the ones who will bring peace to Izeta; the ones in the prophecy. However, I had never considered the possibility of twins which surprised me immensely.”

Luhan nodded. “And you are Zephon, Harpe of Izeta?” Zephon inclined his head in the slightest angle. “From my limited knowledge, you are the soul of the weapon that was sealed away for millenniums.” Nod. “And when you swore loyalty, you became their guardian?” Nod. “Why did you choose now, of all times, to escape from your binds?”

Luhan’s question had Zephon frowning in thought. “I heard a call; I was needed. So I did what I do best: obey.”

“Do you remember your past owner at all?”

“I remember very little. Only his words, how he treated me as a friend and face I am able to recall.”

“Any events?”

“I remember when his father was murdered. He went on a rampage to search for the killer. It was what broke him. He slaughtered many people. There was so much pain. Sometimes I would defy his orders and let people live, but he punished me instead. I felt him ripping apart inside.” His frown deepened. “I think... I think he was captured and executed. Then I was in darkness for a long time.”

It was silent for a long time as if everybody were imagining the life Zephon had as a weapon while under the command of his previous owner. I empathised with his late owner; I knew of that pain. Tugging on his wrist to gain his attention, my lips pulled into light grin, “You don’t have to worry about your past anymore. Focus on me.”

“Your kind heart humbles me, my Queen.” He did the same gesture where he crossed his arms over his chest and bowed his head.

“Um, thank you.”

“Well, that is all I have. Zephon, make sure to guard Bomin closely. It is not safe in the school grounds.” Chairs screeching against the wooden floor and the door clicking close signalled Luhan and Minseok’s leave.

After watching the couple leave, I turned my attention to Zephon. “May I ask you something?”

“Go ahead.”

“Can you please refrain from calling me any titles? The same applies to my brother. I’m only sixteen for Pete’s sake.”

“If that is your wish, then I shall obey.”

Bowan stared at Zephon from across the room and frowned. “How is it that you can turn into a weapon?”

“It is like second nature. Whenever there is something that is unachievable in my original form, I would convert.” His little demonstration almost terrified me. He disappeared. Just vanished. But then I remembered that he was supposed to be an object.

Hearing the sounds of awe coming from my brother made pride swell in my chest. Don’t ask me why.

He cautiously crept to Zephon and eyed him with curiosity. “How do I hold this?” I told him to grab the inter-hilt and lift it up.

The sight of it will forever surprise me. The light hit all the correct angles, making it shine with elegance and mystery (if that made any sense). My eyes traced towards Bowan and my jaw nearly dropped because of the scene in front of me. There was a certain glow to my brother while he stood on the spot, aweing Zephon. It was like the sun was emitting its light through his body. He almost had that ‘great warrior’ look. Almost.

We both stood there (well, I sat), admiring the view of the weapon. Bowan flexed his arm wile lifting it. “This is actually not that heavy.” He swung it to prove his point. I loved seeing him beaming with excitement; it made me so proud to be his sister.

———

“So you’ve been officially name Queen of Izeta?”

“Yeah.”

Junyoung and I were back at the willow tree outside the school entrance with Zephon by my side in his weapon form. I remembered the first I came out here to think clearly and spilled my past to him. There was a mixture of emotions that day. I felt so angry at myself and guilty for leaving Kyungsoo after that intimate moment between us. I was glad we resolved the tension. Fate never wanted me with Kyungsoo. Well, that was what I gathered.

Junyoung crossed his arms behind his head and leaned against the tree. “How’s it like? To be suddenly told that you’re the ruler over some place that might not even exist?”

“Ah, I don’t really know. Surprising?” Exhaling a breath of confusion, I leaned by back against the tree as well. Junyoung let out a deep chuckle and I don’t think I have ever heard a sound so cute. 

“Let’s talk about something else.”

“Like what?”

Junyoung stared ahead of him. “I don’t know. How about the start? What did you do before coming to this school?”

“I was just an ordinary Australian school girl who loved K-Pop and my family. To be honest, I’ve never thought I would break out of the ordinary life. I had already accepted my boring and ordinary future. When my parents told me that we were moving out of Australia, I couldn’t believe it because our family wasn’t the type to move around. I was so used to my normal life that I wasn’t happy to move away from my birth place. Then I met you guys at this school. It was like a miracle.”

A gentle breeze came by and ruffled our clothes. My eyes involuntarily closed to savour the sensation against my skin. I felt my heartbeat softly thudding in my chest and the Junyoung’s quiet breathing. I became very calm from all the calls and rustling around me.

“I think you’re the miracle.”

“W-What?” I stared into his eyes to read him and all I could find was an emotion I was not familiar with.

“Bomin, you’ve brought me so much happiness every time I talk, see and listen to you. I was feeling so much pressure when I decided to become an idol. When I came to this place and saw you in our dorm, I was so nervous. I kept thinking ‘what if I slip up and all respect for me is lost? What will happen if I fail or don’t work hard enough?’ You were there for me when the negative thoughts drowned me. You made me so happy just by thinking about you, Bomin.”

“Junyoung...”

“We should go back inside. It’s not safe out here.” He stood up and offered his hand, beaming. I gingerly place my hand in his and headed for our dorm, picking up Zephon as well. I didn’t think Junyoung realised that he hadn’t let our intertwined hands go. However, I simply ignored it and followed him.



∙•∙•∙•∙•∙

Why, hello, Conflictors. Sorry that I've been gone for so long. 
School had been so hectic and full of rankings/ladders, grades and work. 
I just really wanted to prepare myself for the final year in highschool and be
able to attend University once I graduate. I'm happy with what I've received for
my mock OP rank and grades for all my subjects. ^^; However, don't expect 
fast updates as I have decided some time ago to write this story at my own pace
to balance life and AFF. 

Oh, btw below is a pic of Zephon in his weapon form if you wanted visuals. ^^ So pretty.. GAHAHA

Zephron

Your Author-Nim, kevinoppa
oᴥo