Chapter 14

Idols' Conflict

*Bomin’s POV*
(From now on it will just be Bomin's POV in first person. May change to third person in the future.)

For some odd reason my heart picked up pace as I stood outside the door waiting to be called in. The door opened to reveal the Principal. “I thought you wouldn’t come. You really are a very curious girl.”

I smiled at him as he stepped back to let me in. “Luhan? Xiumin? What are you guys doing here?” I asked, lifting my eyebrows when I noticed that they are standing at the side of a table which I assume is the Principal’s.

“Principal called us in case there were...” Luhan paused midsentence as he searched for the right word but Xiumin opened his mouth before Luhan could.

“He called us in case there were complications.”

I slowly nodded my head at that.

Complications? Like what? Somebody tries to kill me? Probably not.

“I’d gather that much.”

I jumped slightly and moved away (much like a fleeing animal) when I heard a creepy voice behind me.

“Geez! Bowan stop it!”

“What did I do?”

“Never mind. Say, why are you here, Bowan?” I asked him as he stood away from the door.

“In class you would never shut up about the Principal in your head. It was just so noisy. So I thought, because I was also curious why the other girls weren’t put in the same class with us, I’ll go with you or follow you to the Principal’s office.”

“Oh, so you’re just curious.” I looked around the space. Noting the many cabinets, books and pictures in the office. “You know why I’m here, sir. So you mind telling me why?” I said once the Principal was seated in his chair. Luhan and Xiumin both looked at him with a weird gaze in their eyes like they were communicating with him. The Principal, however, didn’t seem to notice their looks.

“I’ll speak the truth. Both of you will be very confused though. So long story short, those girls are a danger to everybody.”

The tension and confusion in the air was enough to be felt through a metre thick concrete wall.

“So they are like assassins?” Bowan asked. His voice was soft and small. He was having a difficult time believing and so was I.

They’re a danger to everybody? How does that work?

“No. They’re more like a creature of a kind.”

“If they are a danger, why can’t you expel them?” I finally spoke up with a weak voice.

At my words, JeongKi’s expression fell literally to the centre of the Earth. “I can’t do that easily. Their parents are of great influence on this school.”

“But why are they a danger?” Bowan questioned with more strength in his voice.

Instead of replying, the Principal said, “Xiumin, go check that we are not being heard.”

“Yes, sir.” Xiumin disappeared out door while he was humming something to himself. A few seconds passed then he returned with a nod to JeongKi.

The Principal sighed with relief coating his breath. “Alright, seems like they aren’t aware yet.” Both my brother and I were beyond confused. No. We were more frustrated than confused. I didn't even need to go into my brother’s head to know what he was thinking. My friends who have been kind and sweet to me. Dangerous? In my opinion, it was quite hard to believe that they are of some sort of threat to anybody and anything. “I’ll answer your question, Bowan. Just don’t be too alarmed.”

Is it something that bad that he knows it will shock us? He even warned beforehand.

JeongKi crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair as if he is getting ready for a long meeting. “But let me ask you a question first. Have you ever believed in fictional things? Like witches, werewolves and those kind of creatures.”

Bowan and I looked at each other than at Luhan and Xiumin who nodded at us, telling us to not be afraid then finally our gaze returned to the man sitting comfortably in the chair.

“Bomin?”

Being the innocent and naïve children we are, both of us don’t know why he would ask us such a thing.        

“Uh… I have read lots of fictional books. I’m pretty sure that some part of my mind believes in such things,” I answered, my mind flitting over the loads of memories of books I’ve read.

“Hm… Okay. Bowan?”

My brother shook his head. “I don’t quite believe it yet.”

“Okay. Luhan, I might need your help. Make sure they don’t get panic attacks.”

What? How can Luhan help in this? Panic attacks? Is it really that bad?

My eyes shifted nervously between Luhan and JeongKi. I just don’t have an inkling of what is happening right now.

Do you know anything, Bowan?

I saw him glance at me for a split second.

No. We are both equally confused and clueless.

You got that right.`

“Well, those things actually exist.”

My eyes flew wide open as I took a step back in shock. “Y-you’re not joking, right?”

Somewhere faintly, I heard the click of the door locking. But I was too shocked to notice it.

“Unfortunately, I did say that I will speak the truth. And that is the truth. I’ll give you guys a second to gather your thoughts.”

The fictional world exists… But why is he telling us this? He could have lied to us and said that there were too many people in that one class. Why my brother and I?

As I thought more deeply, I remembered about a week ago… Those dreams that I had… Were they possibly… sent by somebody? No. It’s impossible. Unless that somebody had telekinetic powers… At that thought, I immediately focused on Luhan.

He smiled sincerely at me and nodded. “It was me.”

No. No. No. I shook my head violently side to side. It is not possible. But a part of my consciousness believed that he was the one who had been sending me those dreams. That my mind could not possibly make such vivid visions. That it was all true. It was possible.

“What are you, Luhan?”

The office disappeared along with my brother, Xiumin and the Principal. There was just white everywhere and Luhan standing in front of me. But I didn’t feel afraid that I couldn’t find my brother or speak to him through my mind. I felt… I felt… I don’t know. I don't how I feel.

“I think it would be much better if I showed you.”

My knees felt weak as my vision slowly faded away. I couldn’t open my mouth. The last thing I saw was the smile on Luhan’s face. His smile was that of a man in pain.

“I’ll show you what I am.”

That was the last I heard of Luhan’s voice as it faded away and I fall into darkness.

~~~

I felt somebody grab my shoulder and shake it. It’s still the morning. Why do I have to wake up now?

“Luhan.”

Not hearing who the caller is, I frown then turn to my side so that I am facing away from the other body.

“Wake up, Luhan.” I heard the person sigh then it became quiet.

Must’ve left.

I was just about to fall asleep when the same person stopped me from doing so.

“We have a schedule remember?”

“Shoot!” I flew up from my bed and naturally take a look at my miracle waker.

“Oh. Good morning, Xiumin,” I said groggily as I ruffled his hair.

I wish every morning was like this forever, waking up to Xiumin’s face close to mine as he frowned at my laziness. One could only dream so much.

“Hey! Stop it kid.”

I playfully shoved him but I didn’t miss the way my heart clenched . “Hey, you know that I hate being called a kid. Especially by someone more childish than me.”

“Now that’s just straight up mean. I thought I taught you better.”

We both stared down each other in playful anger, not giving in to the other’s gaze for a record of 30 seconds before bursting into stomach-exploding laughter.

~~~

Xiumin came into my room too loudly all tousled. His hair looked like he just came out of a room full of blow dryers and his shirt was creased and half untucked as if he had been running hard for a good 5 minutes. What caught my attention as I sat on the bed with a book opened on the last page I was reading was the desperate and alarmed look in his eyes. But what got me to get up and run to Xiumin in concern was the absolute terror etched onto every single centimetre of his face.

I held my arms out to steady him as he wobbled on his legs. None of us said a word as I brought him into the warmth of my arms and sat us down on my bed.

After I felt that the tremors travelling through Xiumin’s body calmed down a little, I grabbed his shoulders and looked him in the eye. The scared expression had left his eyes but he was still tense.

“Xiumin, what happened?”

He closed his eyes, contemplating whether or not to tell me what is on his mind. I patiently waited until he was ready to open his mouth.

“I had a dream again.”

I became slightly more alert when Xiumin said ‘dream’. He and that word has always been something complicated. Everybody in EXO knows how real his dreams can become in reality.

“What did you dream about?”

Considering how he came into my room, that dream would be classified as a nightmare. A bad one that is.

“You and I…” He spoke in such a soft voice that I would have trouble it if I wasn’t concentrating. “I dreamt that our hearts stopped beating.”

I swear for one millisecond, my heart literally stopped.

As shocking as that sounds, I didn’t let myself be affected by it because of how fragile Xiumin looks. I don’t want to bring him and myself any more pain. Once again, I take him into my arms and rub my hands up and down on his back. “Don’t worry. It’s just a dream. There could be a slight chance that it would not happen.”

And once again, I felt the violent tremors reverberate through his small body.

He laid his head against my chest as he wept into my shirt. “No. No. No.” He shook his head and looked up at me with his tear filled eyes, the terror was back again but it was more powerful. “I-it felt so real. I thought we both were really d-d-dead. I don’t know if you are even a-alive right n-now.”

“Well, we’ll have to make sure that we won’t die then,” I comforted him as I his hair softly.

I whispered more words of comfort into his ear. When he finally calmed down enough to stifle his sobs, I suggested that he go back to his room to rest.  But he clung onto my shirt even tighter.

“Let me sleep with you.”

My heart beated unevenly and colour spread onto my cheeks as my mind conjured up many NON-erted scenes.

I pulled him down on my bed. “Come here then.”

~~~

“Xiumin, can I talk to you?”

“Yeah.”

I pulled him into a secluded place backstage where we just finished our second showcase in Seoul.

“Before we might die I want to say something to you.”

“What is it?”

“I love you.”

“Me too.”

~~~

I felt the iron grip of my terrified lover around my wrist as we ran and ran to try to escape whatever is chasing us.

“Hurry!” I yelled as I dragged Xiumin along harder. I could feel my breathing becoming more ragged the more further we ran.

“We’re going to die, Luhan.” I heard the terror behind his soft voice. It was that absolute fear that made me run faster.

“My dream is becoming true.”

“No! We won’t die!”

We ran into an empty warehouse and I pulled us into a spot behind old rusted metal cabinets that couldn’t be seen from the outside, apart from the faint shadow on the ground that announced its presence.

“See? We lost him.”

As much as I tried to soothe his fears, he still looks as mortified while we were running away and the shaking started again.

“No. No. No. It’s coming for us.”

It?

“Little piggies no, no. Little piggies can’t hide. I’ll find my little piggies.”

I tensed up hoping for him/it to go away and leave us alone while Xiumin yelped silently in fear. I pressed my lips against his forehead in hopes of calming him down but with no luck.

The loud and dreadful voice of the man/creature boomed across the emptiness of the warehouse again. “I want to play with my little piggies.”

As tempting as it is to peek my head around the corner, I didn’t for fear that I could be seen by whatever is out there.

“I have all day to find my little piggies.”

. We have a show in Mnet today. SM’s gonna kill us if we don’t show up. We have to get out of here quickly. But the guy is blocking the way. I’ll have to find a way around him. Well, judging by the position we’re in, we are stuck either way.

Speaking about the guy, why is he so hell-bent to get us? Why Xiumin and I? Do we even know this person or thing?

I heard the sound of very loud sniffing. I turned to Xiumin to check up on him. I wrapped my arms around him while sending feelings of comfort because he was trembling very hard again.

“I smell my little piggies now.”

No! I have a dreadful feeling that it won’t end well if the guy finds us. My heart rate accelerates to the point where all I can hear is my pulse thumping loudly in my ear.

Maybe Minseok is right. Maybe we will be killed…

“I found my little piggies!”

The metal cabinets were suddenly thrown off into a random place. Out of natural instinct, I grabbed Xiumin’s hand tightly and ran through a gap between the guy and the flying cabinets. I didn’t take a look at his face so I won’t be distracted.

“Run!” I pulled Xiumin along as I tried to remember the exit in the warehouse.

“Little piggies can’t run from me.”

A man, who is wearing a pair worn out jeans and a shirt that looks like it went into the jungles ran a full circle then out, stood in front of us. He had a stunning face if I were to judge him. The sharp features that stand out on his face; his nose, his lips, his jaw made him look like a sculpted figure that an artist put all his time into making the perfect statue that is of unworldly status.  But what scared me the most was his eyes. It had a very, very dangerous glint in it.

“What do you want!?” I shouted at him as I moved Xiumin behind my back.

“I want your blood and soul!”

At once he leapt at me, baring his teeth. I push Xiumin away from me as I dodged the guy.

“Hide!”

“I’ve starved for far too long. I must have your blood and soul!”

“LUHAN!”

Immediately, I dive to the left, narrowly avoiding the hand that ripped my shirt.

How I wish that our powers were real.

I scrambled to get up but I was too slow. He grabbed my foot as I flailed around trying to escape his iron grip.

“NO! LUHAN!”

I groaned in pain, finding Xiumin to see that he is trying to push the guy off me.

“Xiumin. Don’t.” I reached my arms towards him, crying out painfully as the guy crushed my foot. “Hide, Minseok.”

“No!” he shouted even louder and then shoved the guy with more strength but he didn’t move a millimetre.

I thought the guy was going to drag me away but he just inched his teeth closer to my ankle as Xiumin tried to hopelessly push him out of the way. I pulled my other foot and kicked the guy in the stomach to no avail. It’s like he couldn’t feel it. I tried tugging the foot that was still held painfully back and again to no avail.

I started to thrash about, trying to get my foot out of his hold. “What are you doing!?”

“Quiet puny creature! I shall have your blood and your soul.” With one swift movement, he latched his teeth onto my ankle. At first I didn’t feel anything then pain burst through me with a cry of agony I have never heard myself make before when he sunk his teeth deeper, drawing blood. 

I felt my energy drain from me. But with my last power I asked him, “What are you?”

“They call us Zanlamia.” Was all I heard before hearing Xiumin cry out for me. I smiled, knowing that we spent our time together as a couple. A happy couple. And that I died with no regrets.

The terrified scream of Xiumin was faint but I couldn’t help him. I was so weak.

I’m so sorry, Minseok… I couldn’t help you…

Forgive me…

~~~

I shared his pain. I couldn’t believe Luhan went through this. I looked at him now. The office now returned to normal along with everyone. My cheeks were numb from the coldness of my tears running down them as I hugged Luhan. “It must’ve hurt you a lot to show me your memories.”

He returned my hug then gazed into my eyes with his own twinkling ones. “I’m okay now because Minseok is still with me and I love him even more.”

“How did you survive though? The ‘Zanlamia’ said it will have your soul.” I know it’s a touchy subject but I am a very curious girl and I think Luhan can handle it.

“I’ll show you the answer to that one too.”

Once again blackness closed in as I fell to the floor.

~~~

I groaned as I slowly opened my eyes. I was knocked for quite a while judging by the darkness from the window in the ceiling. I sat up sluggishly, rubbing my eyes and looked around. With blurry morning-eyes, I spotted Xiumin next to me. I checked to see that he is okay but with blood draining from my face, I noticed that he wasn’t breathing. I pressed two fingers on the side on his neck, finding a pulse. A full minute passed and I still didn’t feel anything.

No.

Panic started swirling through me as I picked his wrist up to find a pulse there. Anything, anything, a faint little thump, anything that would indicate Xiumin’s pumping heart. Nothing happened.

The whole world crashed around me as I sat back on the ground, crying.

It was my entire fault. I should have hid him anywhere but the warehouse. I could have distracted the monster and led it to another place. He wouldn’t have died if he wasn't with me. I know I was hurting myself but I didn’t care. My only light in this dark well of a world is gone. My only clutch of sanity is gone.

Kim Minseok is gone.

I ended up on the floor face down when I felt something touch my shoulder. I just shrugged it off but it came again, this time with a voice that I would do anything to hear again.

“Luhan?”

Did I finally die? Where am I then? Heaven? Hell? Limbo? Or am I still on Earth?

I turned to see the worried eyes of Xiumin. “Minseok?”His eyes brightened when he heard me speak. But I couldn’t believe that he is alive so I must be dead.

“Are we dead?”

Xiumin’s eyebrows knitted together as he looked around. “I’m pretty sure that we’re both alive.”

“Then how come I couldn’t feel your pulse before?”

At that question he repeated my action from before and pressed his fingers against his own neck. A few long seconds passed when he looked at me with wide and terrified eyes. “I can’t feel my pulse.”

He placed his fingers at my neck too.

“I can’t feel your pulse either.”

~~~

Since we knew that a doctor couldn’t help us in figuring out why our heart has stopped beating, we went to the Internet to find information.

“How do we start?” I asked, staring at a blank Google search bar on the screen.

“The guy that attacked us said ‘They call us Zanlamia’. Let’s try that first,” Xiumin suggested beside me.

“Yeah.” I was suddenly proud of my blabber mouth at that moment.

I whispered the word as I typed it into the search bar. A whole bunch of websites came up and I clicked on the first one. 

It said that a ‘Zanlamia’ is a cousin of the Vampire. But not much is known about it because there had only been limited information on it since nobody knew about it. The only things that were known about were that it can only be born as one. It can grow like a normal human baby but at an abnormal rate. Once it reaches the age of 25, it stops growing and from there it has a life of immortality; similar to a normal vampire.

When you are attacked by one, you are basically screwed but there are only two ways from getting killed. First, you are a ‘Zanlamia’ and second, you are purely in love with somebody else; a relationship with no lies. If you somehow survive which is a very low chance, you will be turned into a ‘Special Zanlamia’ usually called ‘Zangrythe’. One difference between a Zanlamia and a Zangrthye is that a Zangrythe half half a soul in its body. So far nothing has been retrieved regarding those information.

Since there had been no insight to that information, both of us couldn’t obtain anymore knowledge.

So I guess we are special?

~~~

I woke up with a start. I was back in my room now. I sat up but was gently pushed down by Luhan who was sitting by my bedside

Knowing what I was going to ask, he answered before I opened my mouth. “We found out about our powers a little later by accident.”

I was about to ask when I was cut off again. “You should rest. Like for real. You’ve only been experiencing my memories as me so you would be very tired.”

“Now that you mention it, I am very tired.” I tried to supress a yawn but my body just had to embarrass itself. Luckily, my hand covered my mouth before the yawn took place.

“No more questions or memories for today. Eli and the others will take care of dinner. Just rest. I’ll make sure they’re all in line.”

“Thanks for today.”

“No. I should be thanking you.”

“Can I ask one more question?” I pleaded with my puppy eyes.

He sighed like an adult dealing with a kid. “Yes, I showed your brother the same thing. You guys even asked the same questions. But he dealt with everything better than you. Now go to sleep.”

I rolled my eyes almost childishly at him. “Yes, Luhan umma.”

“Sleep well.” He got up and walked to the door, giving me a smile as he closed the door.

Despite all that happened today, I did sleep well. The dreams and nightmares stayed away from me, leaving me in peace while I slept.

“There will be a surprise for you.”

I frowned as I turned to my side. I barely heard the sentence as I drifted off to sleep.


∙•∙•∙•∙•∙

See! I knew that I would update before school started here. I bet you guys were surprised with Xiuhan. They ain't normal I swear.
School starts pretty soon here. It's next week. I really don't wanna go back. I wanna be with my readers. ;-;

And please comment! I want to know what you think. You can guess what going to happen or just praise my perfectness. Your choice.
 

Because I do not want to leave you guys out, I created four polls to decide who will be paired with Bomin and Jessica. The other people I have decided already.

Poll 1

Poll 2

Poll 3

Poll 4

You might have noticed the part 1's and part 2's. I just had a lot of nominees so the winners of Part 1 and 2 will be battling to the death.
Just kididng. Haha. Hope you had fun voting.

See you guys in the next chapter!

Your Author-Nim,
kevinoppa

≥ᴥ≤