Chapter 24

Idols' Conflict

A/N: there's an important message down below so make sure you read it.


Being tutored is the worst thing. Especially the private ones. I could write a whole speech about it and present it to the entire school in less than one hour but I didn’t want to waste my energy.

Namjoon, Hoseok, Taehyung and Jungkook all went back to their regular classes after being deemed not a hazard which was ridiculous to being with if the Admin considered the fact that they were the ones who protected me when I was kidnapped and brought me back safely. I was working on my English assignment with Jessica and Bowan with Mr. Yun watching over us. The task was to write an analytical essay on the subject of poems. Our teacher has already taught us what was necessary to complete the assignment, so no concerns there.

It was silent save from the occasional sigh and dropping pencils. We’re such hard workers. I was so proud. I was working on my analysis when a piece not note was passed to me.

Meet Luhan and Xiumin in the gym after school.

I looked up and searched for the note passer. Mr. Yun caught my eyes and nodded. I inclined my head towards him, understanding his actions. After that little exchange, I focused on my essay and easily completed my analysis. I checked up on the other people beside me and I felt pride swell within me when I noticed that I was ahead of them.

It was a couple hours more before Mr. Yun finally approved of us having a little break. He even ignored the bells and forced us to work. It took so much convincing to persuade him. The three of us should receive a trophy each for the hard work. It was that difficult.

I grabbed a few snacks from the cupboards in the kitchen to nibble on as I made my way to my brother to tell him about the gym. He nodded after I transferred the news.

“We’ll go after school ends, okay?”

I always found it ironic how I was the oldest yet my brother was like the one who was in charge. He gives off that feeling of dominance. Well, yeah, he is a guy after all.

―――

I kept glancing at the clock that was stuck on the wall above the door frame in the lobby. Just a few more minutes. Actually, half an hour left until school finishes. How time went by so painstakingly slow.

When Mr. Yun announced that we could leave early, I swear I would have married him on the spot. Bowan and I quickly explained to Jessica that we had to go somewhere. And because I was a nice person, I let her come with if us she wanted to after gaining consent from Luhan. Obviously, my and her ties with each other were too strong so she came with us.

No biggy, right? She can be like a cheerleader for us.

We chatted throughout our journey to the gym, taking the safest route which was through the weird hallway we met on the first day of school. Those paintings still disturbed me on so many levels. We followed the signs that directed us to the gym. And in few minutes, the doors of the gymnasium emerged. The three of us sprinted to the doors, but it flew open before we reached it.

“Welcome!” Luhan and Xiumin shouted.

Jessica, Bowan and I greeted them back in the same manner. We stepped into the huge space of a gym. Seriously, there could be a football match in there.

“Whoa, this is big,” Jessica said, dragging out the words to prove her amazement.

“Yeah, it is,” I agreed.

“Why did you guys tell us to come here?”

As usual, my brother was ignoring us girls― not that he was cold hearted and didn’t care for us― and off on his own.

“Well, guess what? You’re doing your training in here.” Xiumin jumped around a little bit.

“Are you that excited?” I deadpanned.

“Aren’t you?” he laughed.

“Let’s just start already.” Bowan began to stretch out his limbs and crack his knuckles.

“I’ll be here cheering all you on!” Jessica yelled from the other side of the gym, “actually, don’t mind me!”

“C’mon, Bomin.” Xiumin grabbed my wrists and lead me to a separate place.

―――

Third person

It was half past eight and Junyoung lay on the couch in the living room, immobile. His mind, ironically, was in a haphazard fashion.  That day in the music room confirmed his feelings. The only obstacle was her brother. Heck, he loved her so much; he was willing to knock down her Bowan to reach her. But that didn’t mean there weren’t competition. Kyungsoo in particular. That man was a huge one. Those days in the dorm where Kyungsoo and his group members would come over, are the days where Junyoung was the moodiest. They would glare at each other, sending curse words through their thoughts, unspoken. Sometimes they would bump shoulders in a way that was asking for a fight. Even Sehun and Lay couldn’t handle the atmosphere around those two.

“When is she coming back?” Jun sighed. His mind kept replaying those precious moments in the music room and it never failed to make his heart race. Their close proximity was just right for a kiss. And why did he not receive it? Her brother just had to interrupt at the right time. 

I love her. I love her. I love her. I love her so much.

Jun chanted those words in his head. He never knew when those feelings surfaced inside him. He only knew that it hit him very hard in the stomach when he discovered them, but it was an awesome feeling to harbour. Looking at her, feeling those butterflies all around his body, every single time, electricity seemed to remind him that he loved her. But he could that hidden forever.

Jun heard the new guys in the kitchen laughing over something. He decided to ask them of Bomin’s whereabouts because it seemed like Luhan would tell them where she could be. He rolled off the couch and headed towards the kitchen

“Namjoon, do that thing with your arms again!” Hoseok yelled, showing signs of his laughing fit.

“Hyungs, stop it! I’m trying to cut meat here! It’s dangerous and I want to eat something!” Jungkook scolded.

“Alright, chill Kookie.” Taehyung held his hands up in defeat.

But Hoseok’s fun didn’t end there. “Oh my God, ‘chill Kookie’. He’s already out of the oven and chillin’ on the kitchen bench!” He wheezed and chortled at the same time, slapping his hands against his knees at his stupid pun. Jun chuckled lightly and shook his head at the older men.

An arm landed heavily on his shoulder, making Junyoung gasp from surprise.

“Jun! My man! How’s life been?”

“Never better, Namjoon,” Jun replied, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

“Dude, what’s wrong?’

Jun pondered for a little while. What did he have to lose? Well, he really missed her.

“I just want to know where Bomin is,” he blurted.

“Aw, miss her don’t you?” Namjoon pulled out a pair of disgustingly adorable puppy-eyes.

When he received no reaction from Jun’s glaring eyes, he gave up. “You’re no fun, mate.” He patted the other’s shoulder. “She’s in the gym, the furthest room on the right down the hallway where our classroom is. I’m not taking you down; food’s important.” Namjoon proved his point by taking a piece of granola bar out from his pocket and chewing on it.

Jun scoffed mockingly at his laziness but he took off nonetheless.

Gym. Gym. Gym. Gym. Bomin. Bomin. Bomin. Bomin

He was so anxious to see her. It was the first time he has ever felt like that towards a human being. It was so… foreign. Those words wouldn’t stop repeating in his head. It brought a migraine, a delightful one.

Jun quickened his pace after spotting the signs that pointed to the gym. His mind was racing at the thought of seeing Bomin again. He just felt so emotional when it came to her.

“Bomin… where are you?”

Jun was aware of his abnormal behaviour. Well, he didn’t care if people thought he was weird. As long as Bomin is there, all is fine. He knew he was very deeply in love with her, and he was happy.

Jun pushed the doors to the gym open and was met with a faint blast of wind.

“Push harder!”

What the hell? Is somebody giving birth?

“Find him and overpower me!”

The sight that Jun saw was one that was mildly interesting. Luhan was circling around Bowan, seemingly relaxed. But Bowan didn’t appear so. His whole body was tensed to the point of looking pained.

Jun has been cautious of him ever since the incident with is sister. Meeting him then boosted Jun’s recklessness, despite the threat Bowan gave him.

He looked around the gym and found no Bomin. The door closed behind him with a soft click.

A sound… no, a voice echoed in Jun’s head.

She’s here.

Recognising that the voice belonged to Luhan, Jun didn’t worry about his sanity and started to walk around the room, trying to finding his source of light.

You have to try harder, man. Find her energy and snatch it.

He didn’t doubt Luhan on bit, but how was he supposed to do that?

Relax and sear for her with your eyes close. You’ll see everything. I know it’s very contradictory but it’s effective.

Junyoung exhaled, closing his eyes. Before that he made he was at a very safe distance away from Bowan. He felt around for something inside his head. He didn’t know what he was searching for though.

Wait, what’s that?

He sensed something. Still curious about his new-found object, Junyoung opened his mind to it. It seemed surprised too. Cautiously like a nervous animal, it circled round him before reaching out to connect both of them together.

Jun?

For minutes that were like hours, Junyoung was frozen in place. Her energy and presence flooded his whole body. He had made contact with Bomin through telepathy…how is that possible for a normal human like him? His train of thought was quickly interrupted when slowly, oh so very slowly, a speck of light appeared in the vision of his mind’s eye. He strained to see it properly. After a few elongated moments, the dot grew to a shadowed figure, and then into a person who, he realised was Bomin running towards him.

Bomin!

Ecstatic, he began to move his limbs but they were paralysed to the ground. His heart ached and raced at the same time because he felt helpless. He couldn’t move to meet her; his love. Even so, his expression did not falter. He waited patiently for her to reach him.

How are you here? she asked.

He shrugged. I just followed the instructions Luhan told me.

Here grab my hand. I’ll take you to our training area.

He kept his face the same as before, only showing the tell-tale signs of a huge lopsided grin. Oh, how much I want to make her mine. Patience, Junyoung. It’s how you will survive. When he didn’t move, Bomin took his hand and close her eyes as did Junyoung once he finished his levitating thoughts and emotions. He felt his body compressing together lightly and then loosening. That continued for a few long moments before it stopped.

“Open your eyes, Junnie.”

Her voice trailed pleasurably down his spine as his eyes slowly cracked open. He in a surprised breath at the stinging sun prickling his sight.

“This is where you’ve been?” he said in awe of the surroundings.

The place was huge. There were various sculptures of natural formations scattered around him from the hill top he was standing on with Bomin by his side. He could identity forests, grasslands, lakes, rivers, mountains and of course he couldn’t miss the strange training equipment resting at the base of the hill below him. 

Minseok stood beside the equipment, waiting for both of them to come down.

“Bomin, hurry up! You haven’t finished your last round of training,” he shouted.

“I’m coming down now!” Bomin replied. She twisted to face Junyoung and found his face filled fascination of the landscape around him. “C’mon, Jun! Let’s go!”

He smiled. She sounded like a child excited for her first day at school. Bomin snatched his hand and started darting own the hill. Junyoung tried very hard to match her surprisingly large strides, all the while dodging small piles of rocks scattered about the green hill.

Junyoung laughed and laughed until his tears filled his vision. He wasn’t at Lotte World, or experiencing his younger years, or at a concert; he was having fun because he was with Bomin. Meeting her was the best thing that has happened in his life. Knowing her and becoming her friend even more so.

She’s a miracle bestowed upon Junyoung.

He has never felt happier hold hands with the one he loved. But a sharp sting to his heart told him how she hasn’t revealed her true feelings yet.

Yet.

How Junyoung yearned to call her his and how he wanted her to call him hers. Maybe one day he’ll be able to experience it. Just now was not the time.

Minseok clapped his hands over Junyoung’s shoulders, bearing an amused grin. “Hey, Junyoung. Coming over to check somebody out?” And that signature brow wiggle came to life.

To Junyoung’s surprise no word formed in his mouth. He blushed and looked away from Minseok's face.

“Ay, someone has a good taste and is in very deeply.” Minseok glanced to the side where Bomin was battling against a cluster of targets with a strung bow and arrow, her pose seemingly gracious it could put all creatures to shame.

Jun followed his gaze and he stood there staring at Bomin with his mouth hung open in awe. Her left eye was closed, the other one calculating the distance of the target, how much power would be required for the arrow to land with accuracy and the angle at which she should release the bow. Her legs matched her shoulders’ width, locked in place as she stood with her torso facing the men. A few minutes passed by before she let the arrow go. It was a complete blur to Jun, but to Bomin and Minseok he knew that they could see it perfectly. He held his breath when the arrow flew from the bow, his jaw clenching tight with more force than he had intended and his beating louder than before. He dared not blink should he miss the pact. Just as Junyoung had expected, the arrowhead landed with a soft thud in the middle of the bullseye. He let out a low gasp in astonishment.

“You’ve improved, Bomin. Well done.” Minseok clapped his hands rather cheerfully. “Shall we move on to the theory side?”

―――

First Person

Although I groaned and whined about completing more exercises, ―this one in particular a brain exercise―Minseok somehow managed to convince me to have his way. All three of us sat under an evergreen tree, with Jun sitting next to me and Xiumin who was seated in front of us, teaching both of us about the creatures of the Netherland.

“I never told you what Luhan and I can do with our bodies. So, with our transformation, we can run up to triple the speed of an average human. You may have noticed that our senses are much sharper than normal. We’re also connected to each other on a mental level which means we can share our thoughts when we wish to. I suspect that our relationship is the cause of it. Our stamina is well, you understand." 

Xiumin went on to talk about Canvians, which is what Lay. He talked about how they possess a body and mind and what they can do. I wasn’t going to let the opportunity go; I had to ask about Lay. When I did, Xiumin frowned.

“There is only one way to save him, but it’s very dangerous.”

I kept quiet to let both men know that I won’t back down from my oath.

Xiumin sighed, defeated by my stubbornness and loyalty. “We would need to bring out Yixing from Lay and transfer your blood to him while saying, ‘Yixing, I pronounce you a danger to the kingdom of Netherland. I shall banish you from contact with any souls and the Netherland. You shall forever wander the plains of Limbo.’ I don’t know if it will work. Many Nether casters have tried but perished as a consequence of challenging a Canvian. But you have your power that may be the only thing that can determine the success or failure of the ritual. But to have more of a chance at success, Bowan may have to partake in it. I’ll have to say, I don’t really favour that option because we could lose you both.”

Many thoughts were running through my head, but I had to make one thing straight. “What’s a nether caster?”

Xiumin and Jun laughed at me; at my stupid question after such a serious speech.

“A nether caster is basically a creature who looks just like a human being but is of a completely different species and can use powers like yourself but is just a lot weaker than you.”

“Oh.” My hands ran through my hair as was my habit. “So what would the conditions be for the ritual to take place?”

Xiumin shook head at me. “You're not ready for it.”

I closed my eyes to silently vent my anger and frustration out. Everything ceased to exist around me; it was just me.

“Bomin.”

With a gasp, I realised I was crying and my head was resting against Jun’s chest. My body flinched and retracted. I kept my hands in my lap. “Sorry.” I heard Jun whisper something but I didn’t press it.

“We’re done for the day.” Xiumin stood up to go, a frown shadowing his face.

“But―”

“You're in no condition to continue, Bomin.” His expression softened and he starched out his hands towards Jun and I. “Let us go back home.”

―――

Bowan and Luhan haven’t come back yet. I wonder where they are. I sat with Jun on my bed, reflecting the lessons I had today. “Sorry for back there,” I said, looking away from him.

“No, it’s fine. You needed it.”

It was silent apart from the rustling of clothes.

“I want to tell you something,” I said and he hummed in response.  “You remember what I told you about Kyungsoo, right?”

“Oh, that was ages ago. At least it felt like it.” Jun smiled, but there was something hiding behind it.

“I don’t know about this relationship with him anymore. Yeah, we’ve kissed and cuddled, but that was it.” I sensed no spark when I spoke of our time together. “I just don’t want to hurt him. He’s too close to my heart for me to do that, but I don’t want to lie to him either." I wrapped my arms around Jun’s chest and gazed up into his eyes.

He didn’t move at all. His eyes were rock hard, devoid of any emotion.

“I don’t want to lose him, Jun. He’s a good friend.”

I said it. It was over between us.

“You should talk to him now,” Jun whispered, “so go. Tell him.” He gently pushed me off his body.

I was surprised at his sudden change in mood as I stumbled away from him and out the door. I shouted that I was going to EXO’s dorm while I closed the front door. Although the walk to their dorm was short, it felt very long. During that time, I thought of what to say. But when all I could come up were nonsense, I abandoned that task. I shouldn’t need to rehearse; I should be myself.

The moment came; the door to Kyungsoo’s and my relationship was about to be shattered. No, I shouldn’t think like that. He’ll accept it. I know he will. The door seemed to be taunting me, taunting me of the unforeseeable future; provoking me with Kyungsoo’s face of utter betrayal as he turned his back and walked away from me. No, don’t go. Minam, help me. I felt helpless under the weight of it all. But I don’t want to break. I have a whole nation to take care of. My ears stained when I heard a sound. Somebody was talking to me, but it was muffled. Slowly, it became louder.

“Hey! Hey! Bomin!”

The moment I snapped out of my trance, a shuddering breath travelled through my body. My legs gave out and I leaned against the body behind me as two arms held me in place. Once my mind cleared, I realised how much danger I was in and scolded myself for it. I’ll have to be stronger. I need to protect Minam and myself.

“Bomin, what are you doing here?” the voice came again.

I recognised it. “Lay?” Tears started welling in my eyes when I remembered Xiumin’s words, but I quickly wiped them away before he could see them. I turned around and took a step back towards the door. “Sorry, I don’t know what came over me.” I let a smile break out.

He chuckled, scratching the back of his neck. “It’s okay! I’m always like that too! You know how I am.”

“Is Kyungsoo inside?”

“He should be. He didn’t tell anybody is he was leaving.”

I nodded in satisfaction and proceeded to open the door to let the both of us in. I mentally prepared myself for the onslaught of loud and obnoxious noises that would soon abuse my ears.

“Bomin! We haven’t seen you in ages!”

“It’s only been a few hours, Chanyeol.”

“A few hours too long, Grandpa.”

“Hey!”

“Where’s Kyungsoo?” I asked and the voices immediately died down.

“He’s in his room.” Baekhyun came out of nowhere as he rubbed his face. “And why is it so noisy? It’s time to go to bed with me Chanyeol. Let’s have some fun.”

Suho, Lay and I stood there, awkwardly watching the ship on front of us sail with bloody noses. I coughed softly and faced Lay. “Where’s his room?”

“Uh… it’s the one down the hall—never mind. I’ll take you there.”

“I’ll be fine. Go do your stuff,” I said once we arrived. Lay nodded twice then left.

I knocked on the wooden door. “Kyungsoo? It’s me. I want to talk to you about something.”

His face poked out behind the door. His face seemed paler than usual but that could be because the lights in the hallway weren’t on. Kyungsoo gestured me to go in and he closed the door behind me.

“Min, I missed you.” I felt his arms wrap around my neck as he back-hugged me and lead the both of us to his bed.

No, I can’t do this. It’ll hurt him. But I have to.

“Kyungsoo-ah, I want to talk about us.”

Even saying his name is hard.

“How so?”

“This relationship between us… I’m sorry… but I think I no longer have any romantic feelings towards you, Kyungsoo.” I saw the hurt in his eyes. I knew that hurt.

“It’s okay, I was going to address this soon, might as well do it now.”

I was surprised at his words. I couldn’t comprehend the meaning behind his words. “What is it?”

He blushed cutely and played with his fingers in his lap. He looked exactly like an adolescent teenage girl. “I might have fallen for Jongin.”

My eyes slowly widened when the information passed through my ears and into my brain. “No way! Really? Oh my God!” I clung onto Kyungsoo’s arms and bounced on the bed. I was greedy for information. “Since when?” I didn’t expect this much to come out of our discussion; few yelling and crying but not this.

“Pretty recently. You’ll be there when I need advice, right?”

“Kyungsoo honey, if course I will. You're my best friend now.”

We hugged, laughed and recounted our memories together. I was glad that there weren’t any major issues when we confessed our various secrets.

“Bomin, I think there’s a person in in our group who has taken a liking to you. Actually, there’s a few o’ them.”

I laughed that off. We parted ways with words of encouragement and headed back to our rooms. Bowan and Luhan came back at that point and I was curious as to what they did in their training session.

I skipped over to my brother’s side and clasped my hands behind my back to ask him about his day. But something held me back. It could be the dark cloud that hung over Bowan.

No, don’t.

I knew it was Minam talking to me, so I didn’t argue against him.

Why?

He couldn’t summon Minji successfully.

A pang of helplessness struck me. My brother must have felt like a failure.

How do you know?

She told me.

I gazed at Bowan with guilt. I knew he felt the urge to protect me. Not having been successful to summon his power hurt his pride.

“Bo, it’s okay. Let’s try harder next time.” A smile took over my face as I pat his back.

“I’m tired,” he said before shaking my hands off and heading towards his shared dorm.

———

“So, what did you and Jun do together?” Jessica questioned me as she landed heavily on my bed, swinging her legs in the air while bearing an expression that told me that I would not see the end of her harassment if I were not to answer.

“I don’t really know actually. At the beginning, I was just running laps and doing some muscle exercises and all types of workouts because Minseok couldn’t stand me not being physically strong. He’s like a gym freak. He even gave protein boosters. Like seriously. Anyway, after that, we were doing telepathy exercises and that’s when I felt another consciousness invade our space.  At first, I didn’t mind, but there was this tugging sensation. Xiumin told me it was safe to inspect it and when I did, I found out that it was Jun. we were every surprised at him. I guess he was very curious. Xiumin didn’t really explain about Jun. And, yeah, I took him to my training and he just lounged around. That’s about it.”

“Bomin, Jun being curious and all, I don’t think that was his intention.” Jessica frowned in concentration. She muttered something under her breath. A realisation dawned on her as she gasped loudly and widened her eyes.

I stared at her peculiar behaviour. “What is it?”

A surprised breath escaped my lungs when Jessica crushed me against her chest and buried her nose into my hair. “You’re too young. I won’t let him take you away from me and your brother.”

“What the hell are you talking about? You’re not making any sense, Jess.”

“Oh gosh, your head is thicker than a mountain, Bo. You’ll figure it out soon enough.” She patted me on the shoulder and smiled in a weird way that had me confused even more.

“Okay…”

“I’ll leave you alone to think about, although I have a feeling that it won’t do much.” Jessica gave me one last hug before exhaling loudly and bringing her phone out to play with.

“I’ll just be in the other room,” I said, already out the door and heading down the hallway to the empty room at the end.

Before I even touched the door, I was already conjuring Minam as his familiar aura assaulted my sense. His power surged through my veins, overwhelming me with a sense of confidence in my life and future. The door slammed open with a burst of violent wind. My mind twitched with the image of my training arena and Luhan, Bowan and me. The particles in the air shook around me as I transported there. There was a foreign emotion flowing with the adrenaline in my body, but I didn’t lay it any attention. The five elements of nature surrounded me, their feather tongues at my skin. Minam worked with me. It was something I was grateful for. It meant that I was finally understanding; understanding the responsibility that rested on my shoulders, the amount of power in our hands and how important I was. Minam made me understand how crucial this separate dimension, Netherland, was. I heard their cries for help; those innocent citizens being slashed by my enemies. Bowan, Minji, Minam and I will save them. That was my focus.

It was almost unbearable for me. Their pain mingled with mine. I became aware of the many organisms around. I could hear them whispering. The grass underneath me sang quietly as they basked in the sunlight, insects murmured their incomprehensible chittering and the larger animals spoke their min, oblivious to my eavesdropping. It was foreign to me; all those voices in my head. I didn’t know what was happening to me. Was I changing? Was somebody attacking me?

“Bomin!”

A call faded in and out of my ears. It belonged to Luhan. With a start, I realised that Luhan and Bowan had transported with me into my training arena. How?

Fire and water flickered at the edge of my vision. Pebbles floated above my head as did small pieces of wood and metal. Something deep within me stirred awake. It spread its energy into the core of my body.

“What the hell is going on?” Bowan shouted while looking all over the place.

If I knew, I would have stopped everything, but I couldn't as a thick blackness coated my vision.



 ∙•∙•∙•∙•∙

Hello, I know I've been neglecting my duties as a fic writer. Well, 
I just wanted to tell all you guys that I've been reading books to improve my writing. 
I was reading a series call Eragon. Seriously I love books, it's just that ever
since I graduated from Primary school to high school I never had the time to read. 
I've been meaning to read that series 4 years ago. READ it. It's such a wreck to your soul. 

Okay, the important message I have for you guys is that by the time you read this message, I'm flying to Japan to compete in a competition called Gunpla Builders World Cup. If you want to watch the live stream of the comp, here it is (the link): Bandai 

shout out to me if you know Gunpla!