Playback

Baby I Miss You

"Teddy Oppa, can I can I please hear that last take Bom-unnie sang"

 

"You got it" Oppa engineer rewound the pre-record as it played back through the studio. Bom-unnie  listened carefully, knowing she would ask for her input. If she is dissatisfied with the playback, she would ask to do it again, trying a different approach or emphasis.  The final decision was the producer's but her feedback would be welcomed and respected.

 

Dara-unnie came back into the room in time to hear Bom-unnie and Minzy, over the speakers, talking about puppies. She had called her office and then taken the time to collect herself, to get back to reality, out to rediscover herself.

 

She's okay now I reassured myself in control. I felt her confidence returning, she could handle this situation as well as she handled the many challenges we both faced each day. I watched her as she leaned against a desk, eyes closed, listening intently.

 

Dara:"I like it" Unnie  said opening her eyes and smiling "Its awesome" Unnie  turned to Bom-unnie

 

Chaerin:"How does our star feel about it?" I said as I continued to look at my Unnies... I couldn't seem to help myself..

 

Bom:"It will do" Dara-unnie's amazement lent a sparkle in her eyes, she obviously missed her best friend. 

 

Teddy-oppa:"Okay," Oppa said picking up his coffee cup and taking a sip next to Dara-unnie. "Hey, Dara-sshi I do think this is the first time we met. again" Oppa said taking her hand as they nodded in greeting.

 

Dara:"Teddy-oppa" Unnie  said formally

 

Teddy-oppa:"Ssandara-sshi a pleasure" He smiled at her, inviting Dara-unnie to smile back. "Here" Oppa handed a piece of copy. "You're next"

 

I watch her retreat grinning through the glass wall 

 

Chaerin:"Unnie , could you get a little closer to the mike?"

 

Dara:"How's this?" She took a step in and put even nearer to the microphone. She sang her line

 

At my request her gesture simply played sensual thoughts in my head. I wish I were that microphone.

 

Chaerin:"Let's go a little deeper vocally this time, for this part a little breathier"

 

Dara-unnie sang in a more whispery quality, she smiled sweetly after finishing the lines. 

 

Bom Unnie  turned to her trying to keep her expression neutral. Up close she took her hand wrapped her arms around her..

 

Bom:"Dalong" She whispered "Its good to see you, I missed you"

 

Dara:"Have you?" Unnie asked into the awkwardness that surrounded the small recording booth

 

 Bom:"I've waited all day for you but you didn't come...". Her voice broke as she fought tears welling up in her eyes.  "I thought I was going to lose you... I thought ...I was going to lose another loved one."

 

Minzy:"Hush... Bommie-unnie"  The youngest member said as she soothed and caressed the poor girls back. "Dara-unnie isn't that cruel to leave us without smiling..Don't worry Unnies I shall make my famous spaghetti and we'll force Chaerin-unnie to bake chocolate chip cookies, and we are all going to yell and scream a lot"

 

I smiled at the thought of screaming and spending a happy time with my band members.. I love them so much

 

Chaerin:"Why, Minkki? Why torture me with all these cookies?"

 

Bom:"To go with Dara's lemonade, of course." 

 

Chaerin:"Oh, Why didn't I think of that"

 

Bom:"Just like the old days" Bom-unnie smiled

 

Minzy:"I think I'm going to be in sugar rush-mode and skip Mr. Hwangssabu's workout for that day"

 

Bom:"Actually I want to see Chaerin and Dara's apartment. I just want to check up where my Dara-nyah had been sleeping, and if the kitchen is well equipt."

 

I saw my wife's eyes grew in shock, I haven't told her that we bought the apartment together offered by an elder ajumma that we met in Busan. She had sold it to us in an favourable price and it eventually became the nest of our secret world.

 

Minzy:"To think that Chaerin-unnie haven't invited us or anyone else except her sister and Dara-unnie to that place she describes her vintage space."

 

Dara:"Its very cute and comfortable" Dara-unnie said as she looked at me with her drowning eyes

 

Chaerin:"I know.. We were lucky to get it.." I replied as I held her hand with mine"