Covering Up

It Was Out Of The Blue

I was still contemplating whether I should stick to Heechul and Eunhyuk’s speculations. I really don’t want to though; especially Hyukie hyung’s assumption.

That afternoon, we were guests in a live afternoon magazine/talkshow.

There was a commotion backstage before we started. Leeteuk was finally asked to go on air. He was one of the co-emcees for the show. He was also asked to perform his written piece, the one he wrote during his military service.

The itinerary was: (1)Leeteuk was going to be introduced as the co-host for the episode. (2) His song composition will then be showcased (2) K.R.Y’s performance (3) Eunhyuk and Donghae’s performance and (4) All member’s performance and interview.

I heard him saying that he left his composition at the van. It could take more than five minutes to get there, and another five to get back in the studio.

---

He was on, and the introduction would just be brief. He was anxious; he actually hadn’t told a staff or our manager. He went on screen. Not minding anymore whether to perform his composition or not. The other members decided to go with it, since Leeteuk seemed to have decided not to play his song anymore.  I was worried, our manager could scold him. He did seem not to know what to do. Given the pressure, he was acting more deliberately messed up. Actually he still seemed really preoccupied about something. He still was. It was for sure. I know him. He had always been organized with the schedules. He always had memorized even the individual most insignificant schedule of a member. It was his job, it was his life. How could he had forgotten his piece if he was at his right state of mind? So I’m sure he wasn’t. I was getting paranoid that it was about me again. But the hell with it, I am more worried about him now.

---

I came back as soon as I got Leeteuk’s piece from the van. As I reached the backstage, I saw our manager looking at me with his crinkled forehead. Oh! Of course, I left without saying a thing again. And K.R.Y.’s performance could be delayed. Obviously, there was no time for lectures now, so he just gave me a nod, motioning that he’ll be talking to me later. But first things first, and it would be Leeteuk. Leeteuk was finally announced to perform, as I peeked out from backstage. His face turned troubled, he seemed to not know what to tell them. It wasn’t apparent to them, to the audience though, but of course, we the members understood. I asked Eunhyuk then to hand the piece to Leeteuk quickly. He entered the scene before Leeteuk could speak and I joined Ryeowook and Yesung immediately who was having a final practice. Eunhyuk made it look like a part of their gag, being the GAG brother’s and all, when he delivered the piece matched with acting like he was a servant. Everyone hadn’t noticed of course that it was a result of a mishap. Leeteuk then beautifully performed the song.

After the schedule, when all of what matters had been cleared, manager hyung came to me and talked to me alone. He asked me why I left without saying a thing and to think K.R.Y.’s performance was coming up. I told him I left something in the van and I was so sorry for doing something wrong again. Eunhyuk who had passed us by, well I cannot say he was eavesdropping or something, entered the conversation acting as the knight and shining armour. The help that I didn’t need though.

“Sorry to interrupt manager hyung, it’s just I overheard, it’s not Kyu’s fault though, I mean, I mean it’s not Teukie hyung’s but…”

“Stop.” Manager hyung said “Okay, say it clearly, what does it have to do with Leeteuk?”

“Hyung left his composition at the van and Kyu just took it for him.”

“Really?why didn’t you tell me Kyu.”

“Because it was still my fault hyung, if I hadn’t borrowed the piece at the van and then forgot to bring it up, then there wouldn’t be a problem. I am so sorry for causing trouble again.” I said. Manager hyung sighed. He seemed to be worried about me.

“Well I am not mad Kyu, I just want you to focus, lately you just have been careless and out of focus. I don’t want you to act hastily and ruin your image, okay?” He said.

“Yes hyung, I am really sorry.”

“Okay Eunhyuk call everyone else we’ll have a private meeting next door.”

We saw ourselves sprawled at one of the rooms of the venue. He reminded us of our next performances and the soon comeback album. Before ending, manager hyung addressed to everyone “Guys, please always remember that sometimes I nag you and give you lectures but I am only doing this because I care. So please do your best too and always be careful and be focused as much as possible.”

Everyone just gave a chorused “Yes hyung.”

“You can now go home.”

Everyone stood and was on their way out; I was on my way out too, but Teukie. He stayed still, waiting for each member to go out one by one. I was now infront of him, by the door, with Hyukie behind me.

“Kyu, can you stay for awhile?” He cleared his throat. “I mean can we talk for awhile.” His face was emotionless. I just gave a quick nod while Eunhyuk paved his way out acting like he knew nothing, showing that it’s not his business.

Then we were left there. Alone. It seemed like a drama scene. I could not read anything from his face. But the scene puzzled me and I kept on mind guessing what he was about to tell me. He hadn’t spoken for awhile so I created a picture where he would run to me hastily and would wrap me around his arms and throw me kisses. However, who was I fooling? He might now know that I left earlier. Of course he does. He might be scolding me now for going out in the middle of the show. He might be lecturing me for not thinking again for the nth time that I should be informing others if I was to leave. Even if it was because I decided on covering up for him it didn’t matter because he didn’t know anyway. And besides even if he knew I guess he would still nag me for not thinking and would tell me it was his fault and I need not to cover for him. I didn’t realize that it was already a minute or two that we hadn’t spoken to each other. We were not so distant. I coughed to break the silence. I was ready to be scolded, besides I was getting used to the hostility.

“Kyu” he said dryly.

“Hyung if it’s about me, leaving again, and me being a troublemaker, I’m sorry.”

“Oh Kyuhyun.” I didn’t know what it meant, really, but it sounded like he said it out of concern. I still didn’t say anything even he sounded like it, it may not be it. So I stayed like that. In my surprise he walked toward me abruptly and in a snap I felt his arms surround me. I was enveloped in his warmth. I was embraced by his strong arms. It was comforting. I didn’t how to react. I was frozen.  It was strange, the situation felt strange. I was feeling a mixture of excitement and shock. I was happy that he was now hugging me, which meant he’s no longer mad at me. Or is he? Well it doesn’t seem right. Why is he hugging me now? What’s wrong? Where was that hostility that he was showing me? I was bitter about how our relationship was at the moment—the anger melted now that I was in his arms. I can feel my tears welling in the corners of my eyes. I was overjoyed. Being in his arms was more than I could contain. But I needed to say something to answer my confusion so I said.

“Hyung?” He didn’t speak. He was still there silently hugging me. “Hyung, I…Is everything alright?”

He broke from his hug. “Kyu. You shouldn’t have. And thank you.”

“Ahmm, what are you talking about hyung?”

“It was my fault, I mean the composition, it was my fault. You shouldn’t have covered for me.”

“Hyung. I…I was…I guess I just wanted to make it up to you.” I really wasn’t ready with what he said nor was I ready for the perfect response I would come up to.  He wasn’t mad at me for covering up for him. I didn’t feel any single antagonistic behavior that he had shown me for the past few days too.

His gentle smile appeared before me. He pulled my right hand a pressed it gently with his thumb. “I’m sorry for making things difficult for you lately.”

I smiled sheepishly, I now feel like a little schoolboy drooling over his crush.

“I’m sorry too hyung.”

It wasn’t the most romantic thing that I could ever dream about. But it made me happy. It wasn’t because he loved me, but it elated my feelings.

We gladly left the room side by side. I felt like the happiest man alive that moment.

Since the last chapter was too short, I managed to update another one.

Hehehe. Still asking for people to write a Kyuteuk fic for my birthday. kekeke... Or tell me the title of your fic that I can read. :) 

So what are your thoughts about this chapter?

Thank you again!