Nine

Two Different Worlds

Since the day that Kyungsoo appeared, he was kind of living at Jinki and Kibum’s house and it was driving Jinki insane. Kibum had to spend his days working at the café and, since Minho hadn’t call Jinki lately to take care of the kids, the last one had to stay home and deal with Kyungsoo. It could have been an easy task if the other wasn’t a completely idiot and his priority wasn’t to annoy people.

“Jinki, I’m hungry.”

“The kitchen is right here; you can get up, come here and eat.”

“But I’m watching TV.”

“So am I.” Jinki said, appearing in the living room and siting on the couch, next to him. “What are we watching?”

“A drama. But you could be a nice person and prepare something to eat.” Kyungsoo insisted, but the other was too busy paying attention to the TV to answer. “Are you listening to me?”

“Shut up, Kyungsoo.” Jinki said, now really interested in the drama. “Look! Who is he?” He asked, referring to the man who appeared on the TV.

“Her boyfriend.”

“What? Then why is she crying? Oh my God, are they going to break up? This is sad.”

“God, Jinki, you’ve never seen a drama before? They’re obviously going to end up together.”

“How do you know that?” Jinki was confused, looking at Kyungsoo as if he was the smartest person in the world. He was about to ask again, since the other just gave him a look and rolled his eyes, when his phone rang. Still into the drama, he answered the call without looking at the phone’s screen. “Hm?”

“It has to be fast! I’m driving!” Jonghyun’s voice said, making Jinki cough.

“Jonghyun?”

“Yes, it’s me. And I’m on my way to your home right now. We’re going out.”

“What?”

“Hey, don’t you know how to talk anymore? You’re saying just one word since you answered the phone. Now that I’m okay with that entire ‘I’m not from this planet’ thing, we need to spend more time together.” He explained, making no sense at all to Jinki, and continuing his monologue. “Well, you’re my muse and I need inspiration, so I don’t care if you’re an alien.”

“I’m not an alien.” Jinki was still shocked because Minho’s brother had accepted all the information really soon and, apparently, well enough to not to run. “I wasn’t expecting you to call and I’m not going anywhere. I’m watching TV and I can’t leave Kyungsoo alone.”

“At least while I’m starving. Jonghyun-ssi, they don’t feed me!” Kyungsoo complained, yelling to the phone.

“Tell him that I’ll bring him ice cream. And get ready, I’m almost at your door!”

“Where are we going?” Jinki asked, giving up in arguing when he felt that he could do anything but stay home with Kyungsoo bothering him at every minute.

“I told you already. We’re going to eat an ice cream.”

“Jonghyun…” Jinki started, moving on the sofa and looking at the window. “It’s winter and it’s snowing outside. Couldn’t you think of anything better than ice cream?”

“No. It has to be ice cream. Come on, I need to hang up!”

“I’m not going.”

“Yes, you are. Please~ Jinki!” Jonghyun begged, dragging his voice. “I would be really happy. And it’s not cold in the car, there’s no problem! Come on!”

“Okay, you win! Just because I’m not in the mood to argue with you. Where are you?”

“2 minutes and I’m in front of your door!” Jonghyun said, disconnecting the call, leaving a happy Jinki looking at the phone.

“You know what?” Kyungsoo voice interrupted his trance. “You two really look like the characters in the drama we just watched.”

“Your favorite hobby is seeing how long does it take to piss me off, isn’t it?” Jinki wasn’t expecting an answer. “The only reason why I accepted his invitation was because I can’t hear you anymore complaining about everything!”

“No, but really! I saw this in many dramas before and I know how it is going to end.” He said, moving his eyebrows. “In bed.”

“In bed? Does it make any sense?” Key’s friend didn’t understand what he was trying to say. What had the bed to do with the conversation? “Don’t. Don’t even try to explain. I’m going, see you later.”

When Onew reached the door, Jonghyun’s car was already outside and said Jonghyun was showing the brightest smile ever and waving. Onew waved back and turned to the door to close it, seeing Kyungsoo peeking on the window. He stayed where he was for a few seconds trying to decide if he should go back inside and ask him what was he doing or if it would be better to ignore it. He decided on the second one when Jonghyun opened the car’s window and yelled.

“I’m going!” Jinki finally closed the door and ran to the car, sitting next to the other. “That idiot is observing us from the window.”

“He’s weird.” Jonghyun said, starting to drive.

Jinki didn’t know what to answer, but there was no problem because Jonghyun manage to do all the conversation by himself.  At least until Jinki remember something that he wanted to ask for so long.

“Hm, Jonghyun?” He started, cleaning his throat. “How do you learn how to drive? I mean, I haven’t seen any kids learning it in school, so I’m really curious about it.”

“Are you serious?” Jonghyun asked, goggling. “Kids?”

 “Of course I’m serious, or I wouldn’t be asking.”

“Oh, yes, you’re not… Okay. We can learn how to drive when we become adults. That’s why you don’t see any kid learning it. And there are specific schools where they teach you that, it’s not in the same school where you learn how to read and all.” Jonghyun stopped and looked at the other, seeing that he was trying to understand what he was explaining. “That’s easier than it seems, although it seems quite easy for me. Let’s go, the ice cream parlor is over there, we need to walk.”

When Jonghyun parked the car, Onew was the first one to get out. He slammed the door with quite force and that made Jonghyun frown at him. However, that seemed to remind him of something and he quickly opened the car’s door from his side again and picked something from the inside. The white haired man quickly ran to Jinki and thrown something around his neck, making Onew widened his eyes.

“Are you going to suffocate me?”

“What?” Jonghyun asked, laughing when he realized what his action might have looked like to Jinki. “This is to keep you warm, okay? It’s called a scarf!”

“Oh, it’s cozy!”

Jonghyun’s eyes lighted up. “Do you like it?”

Jinki was too busy feeling the scarf with his hands to answer Jonghyun right away. He kept touching the fluffy thing around his neck and wrapping it tightly around himself. “I think I’m going to keep it here forever, it’s so warm! Can I keep it?”

“Of course, it’s for you!”

“For me?” Jinki looked at him, startled. “For real? Thank you, Jonghyun! You’re not bad for a human, are you?”

Jonghyun blushed and was actually glad that he had his own scarf around his neck, covering almost half of his face or Jinki would have seen his pink cheeks. That was the first time that the other had been so nice to him and he was internally screaming in joy.  Adjusting his scarf, Jonghyun smiled a bit and grabbed Jinki’s arm, ready to pull him so that they could finally eat their ice cream.

“Wait! Are we really going to eat an ice cream in this weather?” He asked, confused.

Jonghyun nodded. “Yes! You’ll see how great it will taste!”

“Hm, okay!” He said, after a while. “I’ll trust you!”

**

Minho entered his car, blowing air from his mouth to his hands, trying to keep them warm. He rubbed them together and then turned the car’s AC on. Still trembling from the snowstorm going on outside, he started the car, wanting to get home as soon as possible and wrap himself in his cozy comforter with a cup of warm coffee, watching the rerun of some soccer match.

Halfway through, he noticed a familiar person walking on the sideway.

Immediately recognized him as Key, Minho pulled over and honked, startling the other one. The waiter looked at him and Minho instantly spotted the chances in the other. His blond hair was now jet black and it made his facial features stand out even more. It looked good on him.

Rolling his window down, Minho called him. “Hey! Can I give a ride?”

“Oh, no, I’ll just walk.” The other shook his head.

“Come on, it’s snowing, you can’t possibly walk home in this weather without freezing on your way.” Minho tried to reason, trembling to prove his point. “I’ll drive you there.”

Key sighed and shrugged. “Alright.” He agreed, going around the car to enter the passenger’s seat. When he did, he turned back only to find the back empty. “Where are the kids?”

“They’re with my parents.” Minho explained, starting the car again when he hear the click from the seatbelt. “They begged me to let them spend the weekend there.”

“So you’re spending the weekend alone?”

“Yes, finally!” The coach smiled, brightly, making Kibum looked at him, confused. “What? I deserve some rest. Taking care of two kids plus my brother it’s pretty tiring.”

At that, Key laughed. “I’m pretty sure your brother is the worst.”

“Ah, yeah, Jonghyun is little bit difficult. But I wouldn’t have him any other way.” He said, affectionately. “And you? What are you doing on your weekend?”

“Nothing! Taemin gave me a weekend off.”

“So you won’t work tomorrow…”

“No! Taemin thinks I work too much.” He went on, pouting. “I think he’s just being nice to me.”

Minho hummed, not very comfortable. He wanted to ask some things about Taemin but he wasn’t sure if he could. After all, he wasn’t even sure if he could call Key a friend. They got along well and Minho was attracted to him but there was no way to know if Key felt the same.

He cleared his throat and decided to go at it, slow. “What’s the thing between you and Taemin?”

“Uh, we’re friends.”

“But you went out with him.” Minho pressured, side glancing at him, only to find Kibum looking out of the window.

“Oh, yes! I went on a…” Key turned to Minho, frowning because he couldn’t remember the word. “What did Hyuna called it? Ah! A date!”

At the mention of that word, Minho tightened his hold on the steering wheel. Kibum was obvious oblivious to this reaction since he kept on babbling about what he and Taemin had done that day on the amusement park. It was in that moment that Minho knew he had to do something about his feelings towards Key or it would be too late.

He tried to think of something they could do, alone, putting aside the idea of going home to snuggle on his warm comforter. Just then, a thought crossed his mind.

“Remember that time I ask you if you wanted to spend the day with me and the kids?” He interrupted the other’s rant and Kibum nodded. “Well, we’re doing it now.”

“What? Now? Without the kids?”

“Yes, just the two of us.”

Kibum shook his head. “Minho, look, I -“

“You went on a date with Taemin; it’s only fair if you go on a date with me too!”

Minho seemed so determinate saying that, that Kibum could only agree with him. It wasn’t as if he didn’t want to spend time with the other but with this weather, the only thing he wanted to do at that moment was to go home and keep himself warm. Which wasn’t going to happen anytime soon.

 

Hi people! 

I'm back with chapter 9. We finally have a Jongyu kind of date and Minho becoming sure of his feelings. Let's see what he'll do :)

As always, thank you all for subscribing, reading and commenting.