Thirteen

Two Different Worlds

“W-What is this in your head?” An anxious voice asked, looking at Key’s little horns now totally uncovered. “What is going on?”

“Taemin, what are you doing here?” Kibum asked, thinking about an excuse while grabbing the beanie he used before. “Hm, come on in!”

“I was worried about you so I asked Hyuna to stay at the café and-“

“Oh, hey there! Another human!” Kyungsoo interrupted, appearing out of nowhere and showing a bright smile. “Can we kill this one?”

“No!” Kibum hurried to answer, almost killing Kyungsoo with his eyes. “Don’t touch him!”

“What happened to you both? How much time had passed since the last time you killed a person?” Kyungsoo asked, disappointed. “You guys were so much funny before.” He looked at Taemin once more and smiled again. “Human, you have such a pretty face. Do you like scars?”

“Okay, end of the show! Kyungsoo, you better follow me.” Jinki warned, walking toward the room and glancing over his shoulder to see if the other was doing as he said. He wasn’t. “Now.”

“Look at me.” Kyungsoo said, noting that the other three were clueless. “As you can see, I’m not Jonghyun. Why would I follow you to your bedroom?”

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about, but you’re coming with me now. Kibum and Taemin need to talk.” Jinki grabbed the other’s arm and pushed him, blinking at Kibum to encourage him.

Kibum forced a smile to Jinki and then sat on the couch, inviting Taemin to sit next to him. When he did, the older of them cleared his throat.

“Okay, first of all, I’ve never killed anyone.” Key started, looking at Taemin, who was too quiet since Kyungsoo appeared. “And now, there’s something I need to tell you.”

“Hyung, your hair is-“

“No.” Kibum interrupted Taemin, pressing his finger against his lips. “Let me explain it first, then you can talk, or run, or whatever. It would be great if you could stay, but I understand.” He stopped, waiting for Taemin to nod so he could continue. “So, how can I explain it to you? I’m not, no… We are not from here. Your planet. Earth.”

“You’re not making any sense hyung.”

“How did Onew explain it to Jonghyun?” Kibum asked more to himself than to Taemin. “Well, we came from another planet. And there, where we came from, we have horns, and my hair is white and we don’t even speak your language.”

“You’re pretty good at it.” Taemin interrupted, making Kibum look at him. “Your Korean, I mean. It’s fluent and perfect.”

“Hm, thank you, I guess.” Key was surprised, but he tried to continue. “I should’ve told you before, I know, but I wasn’t expecting to stay here for so long. And I promise you that, as soon as Jinki find a way to open the Gate, we-“

“Who’s Jinki?”

“Oh, right, Onew. We changed our names. My real name’s Kibum. And we need to open a Gate to come back, but Onew’s the one who learnt how to do it and he can’t do it now.”

“Do you have wings?”

“No, I don’t.” He paused. “You are not scared anymore, are you?” Now was Kibum’s turn to be surprised.

“How could I be scared? You protected me just now. When that weird person wanted to kill me.”

“Kyungsoo? Oh, just ignore him. That’s what we do most of the time.”

“Kill people?”

“No! Ignoring Kyungsoo! I already told you that we don’t kill anybody. He was trying to scare you.” Key explained, remembering that that was something that he needed to add. “Taemin, this is a secret. You can’t tell anyone. Except for Jonghyun, he already knows.”

“Don’t worry; I’ll keep your secret.” Taemin said, blushing a little. “But… Does it mean that I’m the first person to whom you’re telling this? I’m so glad you trust me!”

Kibum always thought that telling his secret would be more difficult. But now, looking at a happy Taemin sitting next to him really excited about him being a demon, he realized that, although he had studied a lot about humans, he would never know what to expect from them. He was about to answer, when a voice came from Jinki’s bedroom:

“Does he even know that if he told anyone he was coming he would still be in the dark?” Kyungsoo asked, appearing in the living-room followed by Jinki a few seconds later.

At this moment, the doorbell rang and, as soon as Jinki opened the door, Jonghyun appeared with some bags in his hands.

“In these two bags are the ones that I bought for you, and in these three bags are some of mine that I can borrow you.” He said, finally looking at Kibum. “Oh, hey Taemin! You’re here!” He said, widening his eyes when he realized that the younger boy didn’t know about them. “Oh God, you’re here. Don’t you think that Key is ready to the party? He disguised himself as a demon. He really looks like one, doesn’t he?”

“Party?” Taemin asked, too shocked by Jonghyun’s laugher to understand what he was trying to say.

“Yeah, we’re going to a party tonight! I bought wings, I’ll be an angel! Sorry, we couldn’t invite you, you’re too young.”

“Oh, please, someone kill him.” Kyungsoo said, covering his eyes with his hand, pretending to be dramatic. “He’s a lost soul.”

“What?” Jonghyun asked, glancing at Kyungsoo and noticing how Jinki and Kibum were looking at him as he was crazy, until Jinki decide to explain.

“He already knows.”

“Oh.” Jonghyun was now too embarrassed to say something, so he just stared at Taemin without blinking until the later one started to feel uncomfortable.

“I need to go. Hyuna is waiting for me, her turn is almost over.” Taemin said, getting up from the couch and smiling at Key. “You can stay home a few days, until you find a way to solve this. Don’t worry about the café, I’ll take care of everything.”

“Thank you, but I think there’s no need for that. Jonghyun bought me some beanies, so I can work tomorrow.” Key smiled at him too, and followed him to the door. “See you tomorrow.”

Taemin, who was still smiling at Kibum, in front of the door, suddenly launched himself at the other, encaging him in a hug. Kibum was left defenseless with his eyes wide open and arms hanged lose at his sides. When Taemin stepped back with his cheeks tinted red, he pouted from the lack of reaction.

“Sorry, hyung, did I scare you?”

Kibum shook his head. “N-no. It was just unexpected.” He said and Taemin laughed, turning around to open the door. When he did, the demon touched his arm making him look back at him. “I’m glad you’re not afraid of me. It would… It would not having you as my friend because you were my first friend here and I’m… I’m really thankful.”

When he looked up, tears were starting to form on Taemin’s eyes. “What’s wrong? Did I say something wrong? I’m sorry, I didn’t know-“

He stopped talking when Taemin shook his head. “No, hyung, you did nothing wrong. I’m sorry for making you worry. I’m happy that you treasure our friendship.” The younger smiled and pointed behind his back. “I’m going now or Hyuna will throw a fit. Come by tomorrow only if you feel good, okay?”

“Okay, Taemin. Thank you for coming!”

Taemin waved and ran down the stairs, almost tripping in the last steps. Kibum was about to yell but then the boy looked up at him and showed him a bright smile, indicating that he was fine and continued his way until the other couldn’t see him anymore.

Kibum sighed and closed the door, finding three pairs of eyes looking at him. “What?”

“Nothing.” Jinki shrugged. “It was cute what you said to him.”

“Why were you listening to our conversation?”

Kyungsoo scoffed. “Well, you were right here so anyone could hear you two without even trying.”

“I thought you liked my brother though.” Jonghyun said, as if he was talking to himself. He then tapped Onew on the arm. “You know, I really thought that. Didn’t you?”

“What li-like?” Kibum asked, stuttering, approaching the human. “I do not like your brother, okay?”

Before Jonghyun could retort, Jinki’s phone started to ring, startling everyone, including himself. He laughed and then picked his phone from his pocket, looking at the screen. “Oh, speaking of your brother… Hi!” He greeted and everyone was suddenly interested in his conversation. “No, I’m free tonight. Oh, of course, it would be a pleasure. Sure, I’ll be there. Bye.”

“What did he want?” Jonghyun and Kibum asked at the same time.

“To know if I was available.”

Jonghyun lifted an eyebrow. “Available for what?”

“You’re going somewhere with him?”

Kyungsoo snorted and sighed loudly. “You two are very smooth, no doubt.”

“It’s not that I’m interested in what you’re going to do with him but I need to know how many food I’ll be cooking tonight.” Kibum replied, feigning disinterest, walking to the kitchen.

“Oh, but I’m interested.” Jonghyun said, stomping his foot on the ground. “Did he invite you to go somewhere?”

“Yes. To his house.” Jinki told them and while Jonghyun clenched his fists, Kibum spat his drink. “To take care of the kids.”

There were expressions of relief in both faces in front of Jinki and he secretly smiled, amused by their reactions. He went to grab his jacket with Jonghyun on his tail and when he was putting it on, he chuckled which grabbed the attention of the human.

“Are you really just taking care of my nephews?”

“Of course. What else would I be doing at your brother’s house?”

“I don’t know.” Jonghyun shrugged, refusing to look anywhere but Jinki’s eyes. “You could do a lot of things with him.”

“Yeah but those things you’re thinking…” Jinki paused and left Jonghyun looking at him, expectantly. “I just wanna do them with you.”

A blush started to creep from Jonghyun’s neck to his cheeks and he was left speechless. Jinki laughed quietly and stared to walk to the door intending on leave the house. When he passed Jonghyun, though, the human grabbed his arm and he was forced to stop.

“Jinki?”

“Hmm. Yes.”

“That thing you did earlier… The-the kiss. You can do that more often if you like.” Jonghyun muttered, embarrassed. “And well, I… I liked it too.”

Jinki bobbed his head and smiled. “Alright. I really have to go now. I’ll talk to you later.”

Jonghyun finally let him go and Jinki waved everyone goodbye, leaving the house. He had to calm his racing heart by placing a hand on his chest and then giggled; reminding him of those school girls he was used to see on the train. Clearing his head from those thoughts, Jinki began to walk faster towards Minho’s house since he was in a hurry and prepared himself for another night with the twins.

 

It wasn't Minho at the door like many of you thought ahah And now another person knows about Kibum and Jinki's secret!

Enjoy <3