Eight

Two Different Worlds

Taemin was beginning to freak out because it had already passed thirty minutes since the hour he had said to Key and there was still no sign of him. The younger boy was so nervous that he got out of his house too early, knowing that he would have to wait. But every minute seemed like an hour and he was too excited to sit anywhere and wait for Key to appear, so he decided to walk, taking the opportunity to enter some stores and maybe eat something. When he returned to the place they had agreed, he looked at his watch, noting that he was late. He looked around, too anxious, just to find out that Key wasn’t there.

Now, thirty minutes later, he was starting to think that he had forgotten. Or even worse, he would just leave him there, waiting for someone who wouldn’t come. Taemin was walking around, thinking about calling Key, just to forget the idea as soon as the number appeared on the screen. He was finally accepting that Key wouldn’t come when he saw him, crossing the road.

"Hyung! Key hyung!"

"Oh, there you are."

"Hyung, I thought that you had forgotten about our date."

"No, I was just running late. Something happened with Onew so..."

"Okay, never mind." Taemin said, happily because Key confirmed that he hadn't forgot. "Let's go then or we'll miss the movie."

After the movie session ended, the two exited the cinema and Taemin suggested that they should walk around a little since it was still early to go home. Kibum agreed with his idea and soon the two were walking side by side on the street full of people. But after a while Taemin abruptly stopped making Kibum raise an eyebrow at the sudden action. When he saw where the younger one was looking at he was even more confused.

"Do you wanna try the cotton candy?"

Key thought Taemin was insane when he heard the question.

"You can eat cotton?"

"Ah, you silly hyung! It's not real cotton, of course." Taemin laughed, patting Key's back. "Wait here, I'll go get it for us."

Key nodded and sat on a bench watching how Taemin waited in line for a few minutes and then ran back at him, sitting at his side, grinning. He held the cotton candy on one hand and took a little with the other, presenting it at the front of Key's lips.

"Come on, say 'Aaaahh'."

Reluctantly, Key did want he was told and opened his mouth. The younger chuckled and filled Key's mouth with the candy, waiting for his reaction before eating his share. Just as he closed his mouth, the blond widened his eyes, stunned with the sensation. "Wow, this is good! Delicious!"

"See? I told you."

"This is really good, Taeminnie. Can I have a little more?"

Taemin stared at Key in disbelief when he heard the nickname escape his mouth and slowly nodded, extending the sweet to his hyung, watching him take another piece and stuffed his mouth with it. The younger was still in shock when Key turned to him, smiling brightly and got up, grabbing his hand and pulling him around, without letting go.

They roamed around the park for the next hours, experimenting all the rides even the roller coasters on which Key held on to Taemin for dear life, screaming his lungs out. Taemin had laughed so much that his sides already hurt when they got off the last ride.

"Oh my god, hyung, you're so funny!"

"I'm funny? I've been through hell! I'm never going to ride that ever again. Ever!"

Taemin pouted. “Oh, but I’ve liked it. I wanted to go one more time.”

“No! Over my dead body!” He yelled making a few heads turn in their direction. “I’m not going in that again.”

“But-“

“Sorry, Taemin, there’s really no way that I- wow!”

Taemin followed Key’s line of sight and found that what got his eyes shining was the Ferris wheel. Subconsciously, the older one began to walk towards the giant wheel with his lips parted still speechless and Taemin followed behind.

Suddenly, Key turned to him and grabbed his both hands. “Taeminnie, please, can we ride that? Please, please, please!”

Taemin laughed and nodded, which had Key squealing and then running to the long line of people that was waiting for their turn of riding the wheel.

Half an hour later, the two boys were already sitting on one of the capsules and Kibum couldn’t keep still. He was looking through the railings, almost with his head on the other side, making Taemin almost had an heart attack every time he did so.

When the wheel started to move, Kibum yelled and grabbed Taemin’s arm which made the boy blush and only let go when they were at the highest spot.

Feeling brave, Key stood up and looked around, being amazed by the view. “Wow, this is… is really beautiful.”

“Yes.” Taemin joined him and smiled, looking at Kibum instead. “You are too.”

The blond’s head snapped at him. “What?”

“Hyung, I need to tell you something.” He gulped, pulling Key to make him sit again so that he could sit in front of him. “It’s really hard.”

“Say it, Taeminnie, you’re making me worry.”

“Hyung, I… I like you!”

Key frowned and didn’t understand why Taemin wouldn’t look at him. “Is that it? Taemin, you know I like you too.”

“No.” He shook his head, still not looking up. “I really like you, hyung. I wanna hug you and hold your hand and kiss you and- I know it’s really weird for a man to be saying this to another man but I really do like you!”

This time, Taemin looked up and Key could see that how teary his eyes were. He could also see he was dead serious in what he was saying.

“Taemin, I-“

“I know you don’t like me like I like you, hyung, and it’s alright. I just wanted to let you know.”

“It’s not alright. I’m s-“

Taemin was suddenly on him, hands on top of his mouth. “Don’t say it. I’m alright with this, okay? We are friends and maybe, someday… who knows?”

“It’s not okay though.” Kibum shook his head and sighed. “I don’t know how to do this.”

“What do you mean?”

The blond’s eyes went wide but before he could even begin to think about something to answer, he noticed that they were already reaching the end of the ride and he quickly stood up, grabbing Taemin’s wrist, waiting impatiently until the man opened their gate and he pulled them out.

“Hyung!” Taemin called, behind him. “Where are we going?”

He let go of Taemin’s wrist and turned to him. “Sorry, Taemin I think it’s better if we go home.”

“Oh… I understand.”

“No. It has nothing to do with you.”  He quickly added. “Let’s just go, okay?”

Taemin nodded, sadly and walked side by side with Kibum, always looking at the ground, refusing to look at the older. He was too ashamed to do so.

**

“Kibum-hyung, a coffee to that sir, please.” Minki said, pointing to the person. “The one who’s there smiling.” He added, making the client smile even more.

“Sure.” Key said, messing the kid’s hair. “And thank you for your help, but you don’t need to worry. I can do it myself. You can go to your table and play with your sister.”

“But I like to help you! When I grow up, I want to work at this café just like you!” Minki said, grabbing the other’s shirt. “Please, let me help! I play with Soo Jin every day.”

“Do you want to take my turn?” A woman’s voice asked, making the little boy look at her.

“Hyuna noona!” He said, jumping in excitement. “You’re here! Are you coming to substitute Kibum-hyung? I can help you!”

“No, I’m going to substitute Taemin-ssi, his turn is over.” She said, holding the kid. “And I would be really happy if you could help me.”

“I can help with the cash! You’re the only one who lets me do it”

“You what?” Taemin asked, coming from the kitchen, with his coat on his arm. “I’m going to pretend that I didn’t hear it.” He said, smiling to the kid, and passing the uniform to Hyuna. “Bye, I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said, waving goodbye and walking toward the door.

However, he just left to come back five seconds later, with his cheeks turning red.

“Did you forget anything Taeminnie?” Key asked, smiling.

“Hum… I… No, I… Well…”

“God, are you going to talk or are you staying like this forever?” Hyuna asked, laughing when Taemin looked at her, with his eyes wide open.

“No, sorry. And I wasn’t talk to you anyway, Hyuna!” He said, ignoring the girl, while she started to talk with the clients. “Well, Kibum. I just came to say that I enjoyed the time we spent together. I mean, the movie was really good, and you’re so funny and all…” He said, not obtaining any answer. “Okay, that was it. I’m going now. Bye”

“See you tomorrow! And I liked the day too, it was really funny. We have to repeat someday.” Kibum said, smiling at the other. However, the frown Minho was sending to them didn’t go unnoticed.

After a few minutes, Minki’s father was at the counter, waiting for Kibum to get out of the kitchen.

“Hey!” He said, as soon as the other appeared. “You know Taemin is too young right?”

“Yeah, I know, why?”

“I think you are giving him some hope about you two.”

“I’m not giv… Wait, what do you have to do with it?” Key asked, frowning. “I don’t think I asked you for any advices.”

“Nothing, I just think you should make him understand that you’re not into him.” Minho said, walking back to his table, leaving Kibum at the counter, thinking about his words.

“I think that Taemin isn’t the only one who’s into you.” Hyuna said, passing behind Key, and hitting him with his elbow. “Look at how jealous he is.”

“Hey Hyuna! What are you saying?” Key said, feeling his cheeks turning red.

“Believe me, he’s jealous.”

“Don’t you have tables to clean? Why is everyone paying attention to my conversations today?” Key said, going back to the kitchen.

He walked around the stove and, when he noticed that he had nothing to do in the kitchen; he decided to go back to the counter, just to regret his action once he saw Minho looking at the kitchen’s door again.

“Yes? You’re here to pay the bill?”

“Yeah, that too. And I was thinking if you would like to go out with me and the kids one day. At the weekend maybe, I don’t know.” Minho said, trying to find his coins at the coat’s pocket. “They would be really happy.”

“Sure. Just text me the day and the hour and I’ll see what can I do.” Key said, feeling Hyuna’s eyes focused on him, but trying to ignore it.

“Bye Key-hyung!” Minki said, shaking his hand, followed by his sister, who showed her face so Key could kiss her. “Soo Jin is not talking because appa won’t give her a lollipop! She’s not talking until she forgets it!”

“Oh, is that why you’re so quiet today?” Key asked, making the little girl nod. “Here! A lollipop!”

“Yah! What are you doing?” Minho asked, looking at Key like he was crazy.

“I’m giving her a lollipop! Now you can go.” Key said, holding Soo Jin, who was now smiling at him.

“I really like you a lot!” The girl said, holding his neck and showing her tongue to her father. “You should be my father instead!”

“Come on, we’re going!” Minho said, holding Minki’s hand and trying to hold Soo Jin. “See you tomorrow.”

“You see?” Hyuna asked, as soon as Minho left the café. “You have a date.”

“Just shut up!” Key said, running back to the kitchen, once more.