Fourteen

Two Different Worlds

“But my princess hasn’t come yet! I have to wait for her!”

“Since you’re such a handsome prince I’m going to wait for you and your princess.”

“There she comes!”

“I did it! I defeated the dragon and now we can go home!”

“Yes! Jump on this pretty winged horse and we’ll go!”

“Oppa! How many times should I tell you? It’s called Pegasus!” Soo Jin whined letting her doll fall on the ground. “I think you’re worse than dad.”

“I’m sorry?” Jinki said, scratching his neck. “I don’t know how to do this.”

“You just have to memorize the names.” She frowned, looking between her dolls and Onew and gesturing with her hands. “It’s not that hard. I’ve told you the story already. You just have to follow it.”

Jinki sighed, defeated. “I know, Soo Jin, I’m sorry, I’ll try to do better.”

The two of them picked Soo Jin’s dolls again and Onew even opened his mouth to say something but at the same time the room’s door was also opened and Minki entered the room, sulking and huffing.  “Onew hyung, I’m hungry!” He announced, settling his hands on Onew’s shoulders. “Are you two still playing?”

Soo Jin looked at him with pleading eyes but Jinki was more than happy to end the play time and prepare them something to eat. After all, there wasn’t much time left for them to stay awake. Minho was very strict with bed hours and Jinki wasn’t one to disobey the rules imposed by the parent. So he got up from the floor, uncrossing his legs and ruffled Soo Jin’s hair in apology, grabbing Minki’s hand and let himself be pulled by the boy.

“Want to come now?” He said, while being drag, speaking over his shoulder.  “Soo Jin?”

The little girl just dropped her shoulders and looked at her dolls. “Can we play later?”

Seeing how sad she was looking, Jinki couldn’t say no so when he answered her, Soo Jin jumped on her feet, getting up and running to him, grabbing his other hand. She kept giggling at the song her brother was singing and even joined him, her former sadness gone.

Jinki smiled looking at them. He had grown attached to the twins.

“So…” He clapped, bringing the attention to him. “What do you guys want? We already had dinner so maybe some snacks?”

“Chocolate!” They both yelled.

“No, no, no.” Jinki shook his head, making them pout. “Your dad was pretty specific: No chocolate or anything with chocolate in it after dinner.”

Minki frowned, struggling to sit on the chair. “But Onew hyung… Daddy won’t know we ate it.”

“Uncle Jongie let us eat chocolate every time.” Soo Jin counterattacked, helping her brother.

“Key hyung did too the other day!”

Jinki laughed and opened the fridge, peeking to see what was in there that they could eat. “There are very irresponsible people then.”

“You’re no fun.”

Knowing the kids didn’t mean what they said; Jinki continued to search for something to eat. He found some cookies in the cupboards and gave them to the twins, who were delighted to eat at least something sweet. The two were complete chatterboxes so they didn’t shut up until Jinki told them that if they didn’t and ate the whole plate, he wouldn’t let them watch TV before they had to go to bed.

When they finished, Jinki made them wear the pajamas and, like he promised, let them watch the cartoons’ channel. The two sat side by side on the couch, under a comforter, leaning on each other. Onew sat on the recliner next to the couch watching the TV with them. In no time, the three had their eyes closed and were sleeping while the animated characters continued their adventures.

That’s what Minho found when he returned home. He opened the door carefully, finding weird the lack of noise, since he had arrived sooner than he thought but as soon as he entered the living room, he understood what happened. He picked Soo Jin up from the couch and held her against his chest, trying his best to not wake her up. He laid her in her bed, covering his daughter with the blankets and returned to the living room, this time, picking Minki and doing the same with him as he did with Soo Jin. Minho kissed their foreheads and exited their room, soundlessly closing the door.

Back at the living room, he turned off the TV and walked to Onew and gently shook his shoulder. The other jumped, startled and batted his eyelashes, trying to adjust to the light. When he saw Minho in front of him, he smiled, getting up, still a little disoriented.

“You’re back already?”

Minho nodded and hold Onew’s arm. “Do you want me to drive you home?”

“No.” He shook his head. “Your… hm, your brother is picking me up.”

“My brother?”

“Yes. He sent me a text earlier.”

“Oh. Okay.” Minho said, grinning after. “Wait, I’m getting your money and then you can go.” He went to his room and came back after a few minutes. “Here.”

“Thanks, Minho.”

“No. Thank you, hyung. I wouldn’t know what to do without you.”

Onew flushed, not used to be complimented. “Don’t be-“

“No, it’s true. The kids love you.”

“I like spending time with them.”

Minho smiled at him and they were both left staring at each other in silence. When it started to get awkward, Minho sighed and patted Onew’s shoulder.

“Well, I don’t want to keep Jonghyun waiting so go. Have fun.”

Onew laughed and nodded, smiling brightly. “I will! Bye.”

**

“So how was it with them?” Jonghyun asked, as soon as he entered the car and buckled up.

“Always the same.” The demon shrugged and rubbed his hands together. “Your nephews are cute.”

“Yeah, but they can be little brats.”

“Only with you, though. Because you’re an easy target.”

Jonghyun scoffed and looked at him when they had to stop at the red light. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“When you’re with them, you seem like you’re their age.”

“Well, of course, kids love when I do that!” He answered, proud of himself.

“That’s why they don’t see you as a figure of authority.”

“Oh, and you’re saying that they see you as one?”

Jinki chuckled, finding a strange pleasant feeling in teasing Jonghyun. “They certainly are well behaved when they’re with me. Like little angels.”

“You’re lying.” The human accused, not believing the other’s words because he knew for sure that little angels was not something to describe his nephews. “Obviously.”

“No, I’m not!” He yelled, outraged.

Upon seeing how the other was really offended, Jonghyun sighed. “Alright, alright. But what do you want me to do? I don’t think it’s a bad thing what I do.”

“I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, Jonghyun.” Onew said, turning his head to look at the human, who couldn’t look back because he was still driving. “In fact, I find it cute.”

Jinki saw how Jonghyun’s cheeks suddenly gained a little color. He tightened his hold on the wheel and Jinki suppressed the need to laugh. He was sure Jonghyun wouldn’t appreciate so he just continued to watch him, while the human made sure to not do any kind of visual contact with him. The rest of the time was spent in silence, which was an odd situation for them.

Jonghyun parked the car, still refusing to look at Jinki. When he realized that the silence was becoming suffocating, he sighed, deciding to take the first step.

“Really?”

Jinki looked at him, confused, not understanding from where the question came from. “What?”

“You think I’m cute?” The human asked, embarrassed.

“Yes, I do.” He said, truthfully. Jonghyun was about to answer, when Jinki continued. “I also think you’re very handsome.”

Jonghyun felt his cheeks burn even more, he felt like they were on fire. Onew looked at him innocently because he didn’t know the effect those words had on the human. He didn’t think it was weird saying those things; it was almost like he was a child. Everything that he thought, he said and Jonghyun knew that was what made him fall in love with the other. He-

Wait! Fall in love? Was Jonghyun really in love with an outer space being? Well, it certainly seemed like something that would happen to him. Casting a glance at Onew who was walking by his side looking at everything with a sparkle in his eyes, it was clear to Jonghyun that he was very much in love with the demon. Sighing, he took the demon’s hand in his own and saw from the corner of his eye how he looked at him surprised.

“J-Jonghyun?”

“We have to hold hands now.” He said, still looking forward. “Since we’re dating.”

Jinki was speechless but nodded nonetheless and squeezed Jonghyun’s hand letting him know that he was totally okay with it.