Four

Two Different Worlds

“Good morning, beautiful family!” Jonghyun sang, opening Minho’s house door and getting in.

Contrary to what he was expecting, the house was soundless, except for the faint sound of the cartoons on the TV. He walked to the living room, only to find Soo Jin, still on her cute pajamas, rubbing her eyes, sitting on the couch, clutching one of her toys.

When she saw him, the toddler smiled, showing her little white teeth. “Uncle Jongie.”

“Hi, baby girl.” He greeted, sitting at her side on the sofa, watching her crawl to his lap. “Why are you alone?” 

“Appa and Minki are still sleeping.”

“They’re such sleepyheads.” Jonghyun accused which made her giggle while looking at the screen. “They left Princess Soo Jin alone. My poor princess who is in need of someone to keep her company.”

“Jongie, be quiet, I’m trying to watch the cartoons.”

The words left from his niece’s mouth left his own hanging open but he recovered from it fast, slipping his hands to Soo Jin’s sides and moving his fingers, making her squirm in his lap.

“I’m extremely sorry, Miss Choi Soo Jin, for disturbing your peaceful morning but…” He stopped, grinning when her laughs fill the place. “I’m here and you’re going to play with me.”

“Ah!” She screamed, jumping off his lap to the ground and running to the other side of the coffee table, setting some distance between them, still laughing. “Stop it!”

“But I’m not doing anything.”

Jonghyun hopped over the table and picked her up, throwing her over his shoulder, tickling her sides, making her beg for him to stop while laughing. Soo Jin’s laughs were so loud that soon, Minki appeared on the doorway of his bedroom and when he saw what the commotion was about, he quickly ran to Jonghyun, pushing him until he was lying on the sofa with both children on top of him, tickling him.

“Alright, alright! I surrender!”

“Ah, you’re very weak, Jongie.”

“Yah, you brat!”

“Even Onew hyung is stronger than you!”

Jonghyun’s attention was completely stolen from the game with a single name. “Onew?”

“Yes, he took care of us yesterday. He was really funny.”

“And he’s a very handsome oppa, Jongie.”

Jonghyun smiled, thinking that he could acquire some information about Onew talking with his nephews. That couldn’t count as stalking someone, could it? He was just going to ask some innocent questions to those innocent children.

“And what did you do with him?”

Soo Jin held her hand in the air and was the first one to talk. “We went to the park and Onew oppa sat with me on the swings but then Minki wanted to play football and he played with him. Then we ate at the park but then I had to pee so we came home.”

“But we found appa on the way!” Minki added.

“Yes, we found appa! And then Onew oppa had to go.” She concluded, pouting. “But he promised to return to play with me and my dolls.”

“Oh. He’ll come to play with your dolls?” Jonghyun asked, smirking. “But what about him? How is he like?”

Suddenly, Jonghyun felt a sharp pain in his head and quickly as he could he turned around only to find Minho behind him. “What are you doing?”

“Nothing.” He faked a laugh. “What could I be doing other than playing with them?”

“He was asking us questions about Onew hyung.”

“He was!”

This made Minho turn his head to look at Jonghyun, with a disapproving look on his face. “Hyung!”

“Guys!” He whined, pointedly ignoring Minho, looking at the youngsters. “You just screwed your favorite uncle.”

“You’re our only uncle!”

“I’m so sorry, guys.” Minho teased, smiling at the kids. “I couldn’t save you from that.”

“Hey!”

**

“I’m so late!” Kibum grumbled as running to the café.

He knew it wasn’t a good idea to ask Onew to wake him up when the alarm rang, but he was so tired that he was sure that he wouldn’t hear it. And he was right. He didn’t hear the alarm especially because Onew turned it off as soon as it started to ring, and the result was Kibum arriving at the café half an hour later.

“Oh, here you are!” Taemin said, passing his hands through his hair and walking toward Key. “Are you okay? Did something happen? You’re late! Is everything okay?”

“Yes, I didn’t hear the alarm ringing. And I’m sorry I’m so late, I will definitely compensate.”

An idea crossed the younger’s mind.

“So do you want to go to the cinema?” Taemin asked, blushing, and hurrying to add: “One day. I mean, if you want to.”

“Hum, I was talking about working until late.” Key answered, surprised.

“Hum.” Taemin said, blushing even more and turning around to walk away.

“Wait!” Kibum exclaimed, feeling sorry about the other boy. “But we can go to the cinema if you want. Just tell me when and what time.” He added, seeing Taemin smile.

“Fine! Hyung…” The boy started, moving his foot embarrassed. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, but quickly. We have customers waiting to be served.”

“Have you talked to Jonghyun-hyung lately?”

“Again this conversation? Taemin, please. I’ve said to you already that he’s not my boyfriend, okay? I don’t even know him. All I know about him is the same I know about all our regular customers. And he’s interested in another person, so stop with these questions, I’m going insane.”

“Sorry, hyung.” Taemin said, smiling brightly. Maybe he could have a chance with Key after all.

When he walked away more confident, after Key took his role at the counter, Minho entered the café alone and approached the blond, which made Taemin stay around so he could hear the conversation.

“Good morning, Key! A coffee, please.” Minho said, smiling, and showing some coins. Kibum hurried up to prepare it and served the coffee, accepting the coins Minho was giving him. After that, the last one started to drink, stopping to say: “The coffee always tastes better when you do it.”

 Kibum blushed really hard, smiling and turning around which didn’t go unnoticed to Taemin.

The last one was cleaning the same table over and over again, starting to make some costumers staring at him with interrogative eyes. He smiled at them and decided to go inside to calm down. He had a crush on Kibum for a long time and he started to believe that Jonghyun had it too. But after all was Minho! Or maybe he was getting paranoid; since he thought that every person who talked for more than two minutes with Key had a crush on him.

Taemin decided to purposely ignore the fact that Minho had never said that to any of the employees and neither had Kibum ever blushed from compliments before.

**

Onew was walking for hours, trying to find a job. The idea of taking care of the kids again was driving him insane but Kibum would only let him quit the job when he found a new one. But it wasn’t working well. He tried a lot of places the whole morning and had always the same answer. They weren’t looking for employees. He was almost giving up, thinking that Minho’s children were cute and the things couldn’t get worse. Maybe he should be happy with his job and should watch more documentaries and programs about taking care of kids.

When he was about to turn around and go home, he saw that Jonghyun guy from the café on the other side of the road. Not knowing what to do, Onew hide himself behind a tree waiting for the right time to run as fast as he could. However, in a few seconds, Jonghyun crossed the road, running, and touched his shoulder.

“Hey! Oh my god, how lucky am I, finding you here!” Jonghyun said, excited. “What are you doing?”

“Hum, hi. I… Nothing! I was just walking around. Actually, I was about to go home now. It was nice to see you.”

“Wait! I can drive you home!”

“Thank you, but my car is parked near. Hum… Bye!”

“Wait, wait!” Jonghyun repeated, grabbing his arm. “I know that you don’t understand it, but you’re my muse and I need you close. And, God, you’re handsome!”

Onew looked at the man in front of him and, for the first time, he noticed his beautiful eyes. He heard Jonghyun talking, but he was paying attention, staring at him. So when the other stopped, he just nodded and said: “Yes.”

“Yes? What? Are you listening to me?” Jonghyun asked, frowning, and bringing him back to reality. “I asked what are you going to do tomorrow and you answered yes!”

“Oh, sorry!” He apologized, widening his eyes. “I just… sorry, but what did you asked?”

Jonghyun chuckled and Onew could swear he could see his cheeks getting a little color. “You’re cute. I asked what you were doing tomorrow.”

“I’m actually looking for a job, you know? Key’s been bothering me with it for a while.”

“What? My brother didn’t pay you enough?”

“No! That’s not it!” He quickly said not wanting so sound rude. “But if I don’t search for something else, Key might put me out.”

“What’s…” Jonghyun hesitated, afraid. “Are you and Key… you know-“

Before he could finish his question, Onew’s obnoxious laugh filled his ears and, at that moment, Jonghyun thought it was the most beautiful sound he had ever heard.

It was only after a while that Onew’s fit came to an end and he almost looked apologetic now looking at Jonghyun. “I’m sorry but that was so funny. Me and Key, oh my god, you got some pretty good jokes.”

“So you’re single?” He asked, hopeful, and when Onew nodded, his eyes were shining almost like the stars. “Would you like to go somewhere with me, then?”

Just like that, the pleasurable atmosphere was crashed and Onew’s defensive mode was on once again. He gulped and shifted, uncomfortably, on his feet. “I… this was fun, really, but now I have to go! I have to fed my plant and water my cat.”

And with those little-to-no-sense words, Onew left him with a dumbstruck expression in the middle of the sidewalk. As Jonghyun watched him walk away, he really reflected on what the other said and became even more confused. Water the cat? What was he talking about? That didn’t sound right even for Jonghyun but, hey!, could that mean that he made Onew so embarrassed that he couldn’t even form sentences?

Feeling a lot better, Jonghyun grinned from ear to ear, returned to his car, which wasn’t parked far, with a million ideas flowing on his mind to a new song.

He really had found his muse this time.

 

Here's the fourth one and Onew is still running from Jonghyun!

Thanks for reading, see you next week :)