Ten

Two Different Worlds

“So… are you sure we can go in there?”

“I work here, Key.” Minho said, opening the door with a suspicious expression. “I can come here anytime.”

Kibum followed him close behind. “Then why are we being so secretive about it?”

Minho turned to him and putted his finger on his lips, indicating that he should be quiet and then beckoned him to come closer. Kibum did as he was told and Minho also took a step closer, crouching down a little to reach the other’s ear. When Minho’s hot breath hit Kibum’s ear, his whole body went stiff and he gulped. Minho seemed unconscious of this since he also placed his hand at the end of Kibum’s back.

“I don’t want anyone to know we’re here. That’s why we have to be quiet.”

Still disturbed with the close proximity between the two of them, Key didn’t met Minho’s eyes. “But there’s no one in here.”

The whole place was so quiet that it was almost impossible to believe that someone was in there at the same time as them. However, Minho had said the contrary when they entered the place. He explained that there were people who stayed until later so that they could clean everything. Kibum thought they were a lot like him since he also used to stay until later at the café to make sure everything was ready for the next day. With that kind of thought in his mind, he didn’t even realized when Minho gently guided him through various doors and only when they stopped, did he noticed that he was in a place that he never saw before.

He took a step forward, losing physical contact with Minho, and admired the space around him.

“Wow.” He said, after a while. “This is where you work?”

Minho laughed and appeared at his side. “You act like you never saw an indoor field in your life.”

“Because I didn’t!”

“What? How is that even possible?”

After realizing what he had said and pondering in what must have sound to Minho, he concluded that this was something that humans saw every day. Great, Kibum though, now I’ll have to think about something to say to cover this up. His gaze went to the window and when he saw the snow falling outside, he started to walk in that direction thinking if that was enough to distract Minho from what he had said.

Apparently, it was.

In no time, Minho was by his side again, smiling at the view. “Beautiful, isn’t it?”

“Only when you’re not in the middle of it.”

The coach laughed at this and looked at Key. “You’re right. So…Are you good at any sport?” When the other hesitated, Minho grabbed his hand and pulled him in the opposite direction. “Come, we’re going to play basketball.”

“Wait, we are what?” What even was basketball?, he thought, nervous. “Minho, seriously, I’m not good at this. It’s better if you play and I’ll watch.”

“No, it’s no fun to play alone.”

He dragged Kibum to the middle of the field and then left him there, alone, without knowing what to do. Just when Kibum started to think about running, Minho appeared again with an orange ball on his hand and a million watts smile. He then stopped under some kind of pole with a basket and made a sign to Kibum to come closer to him.

When Key began walking, Minho’s smile increased and he dribbled the ball.

“Come on, Key, faster.” He called, impatient. “Catch!”

Kibum only had the time to listen to Minho yell and then he thrown the ball at him, making him panic for a few seconds. Was he supposed to catch the ball? That’s what Minho had said, right? He putted his arms up and miraculously the ball ended up on his hands.

“Are you insane?” He asked, his heart beating ten times faster, walking to Minho. “What are you trying to do? Hurt me? Make me unconscious?”

Minho only laughed and ran to him, taking the ball from his hands with ease. “Gotcha!” He yelled, proud and then ran again and thrown the ball into the basket. “One point for me!”

Kibum was still so confused with the whole thing that he could only watch, frozen, as Minho went around him and ran back to the basket to put the ball through it. What was happening? Why did he let this happen to him when he could be at home, warming up?

“Ouch!” He whined when he felt Minho’s body colliding with his own. “Seriously, Minho, what are we doing?”

“We’re playing a game?” Minho asked more than affirmed, rubbing his nape with one hand and holding the ball with the other. “At least, I am. You’re just standing there. You know that you have to take the ball from me to make this work, right?”

“I…” Kibum started, feeling more and more nervous.

What was he supposed to do? This was all so new to him. He never played sports and knew nothing about them. But this seemed like something that everyone knew about so he had to at least pretend that he knew.

“Forget it.” Minho said, before he could answer. He let the ball fall to the ground and sighed. “This was a bad idea, I’m sorry, Key. I’ll just take you home.”

Kibum watched Minho turn his back on him and sigh, probably disappointed with the whole outcome. He picked the ball from the ground and started to head back. Kibum huffed and shook his head, thinking if he was in his right mind and then ran to Minho, passing him by and grabbed the ball from his hands.

Minho looked at him, surprised but then a smile appeared on his face and he spread his arms, making it difficult for Kibum to dodge him.  So Kibum did the only thing he could think of. He grabbed the ball tightly against his chest and began running around the field. He could hear Minho behind him, shouting for him to stop because he was doing it wrong but he didn’t even care. The only thing in his mind was to run away from Minho and throw the ball to the basket.

When he finally got close to his objective, Minho appear out of nowhere and right when he thrown the ball, the other one jumped and catch it, running in the opposite direction. Laughing, Kibum went after him but couldn’t obviously keep up with him so he just launched himself at Minho when he was near enough, locking him in a death grip from behind.

“Key, that’s cheating!” The taller of them accused but the laugh in his voice could be heard. “Key, come on, let go of me!”

“Not until you let me score!”

“Never!”

“Then I’m never letting you go.” He said and tightened his hold to prove his point. “Come on, Minho, just one! Teach me how to do it!”

Minho grinned. “Okay, okay, I’ll teach you.” Kibum immediately let go of him and took one step back to give him space to turn. Just as he did, the coach grinned, jumping and aiming for the basket again. “He shoots! And he scores!”

“Minho, you said you’d teach me!”

Seeing the other whine made Minho laugh and he quickly approached him, ruffling his hair, keeping a few strands between his fingers. “This color looks good on you.”

“Huh…” Kibum gulped, not knowing what to do. “Thank you?”

Minho, sensing the weird atmosphere, went to grab the ball and turned to Kibum, calling him again. When the other reached his side, he positioned himself behind him and made him grab the ball. He placed his hands on top of Key’s hands and then showed him how to the move so that he could learn how to do it.

“Do you understand?”

“I think I do.” He nodded, confident, grabbing the ball with force. “I can do it!”

“Go on then!”

Kibum looked from the ball to the basket and, feeling confident, took two steps and jumped, throwing the ball in the opposite direction of the basket. In disbelief, he looked at Minho, who was laughing really hard at the sight.

“What are you laughing at? The ball fell out of my hands!” He justified, making Minho laugh even more. “Hey, stop! I would like to see what you would do if you worked at the café for one day! I’m sure I was going to laugh too!”

“Don’t even compare! You miserably failed!” Minho said, trying to erase such image from his head. “And, of course, I would do an excellent job at the café.”

“Let’s go home.” Kibum ignored the challenge. “Jinki must be waiting for me to have dinner, it’s already late.”

“Sure. And you better improve your skills until the next time.” Minho said, hitting him with his elbow. “Or even Minki will win to you.”

 

I'm back with Minkey's date! Aren't they adorable?  I hope you enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed writting it :)

See you next time!