Sixteen

Two Different Worlds

 

From: Taemin

Hey hyung! Since today we have both a day off, would you like to take a walk with me around the park?

 

Squinting his eyes, Kibum read the text message that awoke him. He stretched his arms and yawned, cursing Jinki in his head for making him stay up until late hours. With the thought of Jinki, came the thought of the words he had said last night. How could he be so sure that he was in love with Jonghyun? Love was an emotion for humans not for demons. He had learned that they could not develop such feelings so why was Jinki so set in proving him wrong?

Last night, when he said that it was impossible for Jinki to fall in love, his friend promised to show him that it was indeed possible. He had said that he was already walking that path but didn’t notice it yet. Kibum knew he was talking about Minho, but he refused to believe Jinki’s words.

Thinking of Jinki made him feel more awake so he texted Taemin back, agreeing on the hours of the meeting. Kibum got up and went to the bathroom to take a bath. When he was finished, his stomach made a guttural sound and he chuckled, walking to the kitchen, seeing that Jinki and Kyungsoo were already there.

“Morning.” He said, while beginning to prepare his breakfast. Most of the things in the fridge were empty. “One of you needs to go grocery shopping today.”

“Why can’t it be you?”

Kibum sighed and walked to the table, sitting down. “I’m going to be out all day.”

“Why? You don’t have work today.” Kyungsoo said, pointing a finger at him. “Tell us the truth.”

“Taemin asked me-“

“Oh, of course.” Kyungsoo interrupted him, rolling his eyes. “Seriously, Kibum, you need to figure out what you want. The pretty little boy or the handsome dad.”

“What? No! Me and Taemin are not like that, we’re-“

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, you’re friends! But that is not what he thinks.” He got up and took his things to the washer. “You need to tell him your choice, that was pretty clear a few seconds ago.”

Kibum stared at them with his mouth open until he disappeared from the kitchen. “What is he talking about?” He asked, more to himself than for the other one in the room but as soon as he looked at him, he regretted saying anything. “No. Don’t even start.”

“I didn’t say anything.”

The white haired demon scoffed. “But you were going to.”

“I was just going to say that even Kyungsoo knows what’s going on.” Jinki said, shrugging. “You’re the only one who insists on refusing it.”

“I’m not refusing anything.” He said, stomping his foot on the ground but before he could continue, his phone began to ring. “Oh, Taemin is here. I’ll have to go now.”

“Have fun!”

Kibum nodded and began to run, grabbing his jacket and beanie on the way. He put them on and looked at Jinki, who approved of his outfit with thumbs up, and then opened the door, running down the stairs. He waved at Taemin and crossed the street, finally getting to the younger. They decided to walk to the park since it wasn’t far and none of them knew how to drive. The walk was nice but the weather was a bit cold and Kibum kept rubbing his arms in order to stay warm. Taemin saw it and sighed. “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. It’s freezing.”

“No, no. It’s fine.” Kibum denied, shaking his head. “It’s not that cold anyway.”

“Hyung, I can hear your teeth clinking.” He chuckled, turning Kibum to him and rubbing his arms for him. “Don’t need to deny it. It’s best if we just go somewhere warm.”

“Oppa!”

He looked around upon hearing the familiar voice, not having the time to answer Taemin. “Soo Jin? What are you doing here?”

The little girl ran as fast as she could and crashed into him when he put himself at her level. “I came with appa and Minki but I don’t know where they are anymore.” She said, tears in her big eyes.

“Don’t worry, we’ll find them, okay? Don’t be scared.”

She nodded and cleaned her tears with Kibum’s help. Taemin picked her up and the little girl hid her face in his neck, still sobbing. Kibum rubbed her back to calm her down when they sat at a bench and soon the sobs could no longer be heard.

“Oppa?”

“Hm?” The two of them said at the same time causing some giggles.

“Key oppa, could we also look for my ball? We were playing with it but then it got away.”

Kibum smiled at there and gave her cheek a squeeze. “Of course, we can.” He stood up and offered his hand. “Let’s go look for your appa and your ball?”

Soo Jin’s face broke into a big smile and she jumped to the ground, grabbing Key’s hand tightly. She then looked at Taemin and nudged for him to come. He also stood up and followed them, looking around to try to spot Minho. This wasn’t exactly what he had planned when he invited Key out but he couldn’t blame the little girl for disturbing their time.

“Where were you when you last saw your dad?”

Soo Jin looked everywhere and pouted. “Near the swings but I don’t know how to get there.”

“We’ll find it, don’t be sad.” Kibum squeezed her tiny hand and continued to look around. “They must be looking for you too. If we don’t find them-“

“Oppa, look! It’s my ball!” She yelled, making the few people who were in the park look at them. “It’s there, near the lake!”

Kibum spotted it immediately. He smiled at her and then at Taemin and the three of them headed to the lake. He grabbed a stick and tried to get to the ball with it, without getting to close to the water. He managed to finally get it and pulled it to the margin, rushing Taemin to get it. When he did and passed the ball to Soo Jin, the girl screamed in delight.

“I have the ball back!” She said, excited. “Thank you, Key oppa!”

The demon smiled at her but before he could do anything, he felt dizzy. He took to steps back and heard Taemin asking him if he was alright but he couldn’t answer. It was the same feeling from the day before. He was going through the changes again. In the middle of the day. In a place full of people. His breath became shortened and before he knew it, he heard a tearing sound and felt a sharp pain in his head.

“Taemin, I need to-“

“Horns.” Taemin said, looking wide eyed at the top of his head. “You have to go.”

“Oppa? What’s that in your head?” Soo Jin asked, curious. She took a step forward to reach him but Kibum stepped away. “APPA!” She started to run to her father and Kibum’s heart started to beat even faster.

Taemin quickly reached him and put his own beanie on top of the demon’s head. Kibum turned around, finding Minho looking at him, confused and then at his daughter.

“Soo Jin, come here.”

“Minho-“

“No.” He interrupted, holding a hand up and crouching down to make sure she was okay. When he finished, he got up and pushed her behind his back. “What is this?”

“I can explain.” Kibum tried again. “Please.”

Minho shook his head. “What kind of thing are you? Those horns are not false; I saw them grow with my own eyes. What are you?”

“Minho, I’m not- please, let me explain.”

He grabbed his children’s hands and stepped away from the other two. “No.”

“I-“

“You’ve been lying about who you are all this time.” Minho said, louder, this time. “I let you in my house. I let you take care of my children. I trusted you. Damn, I even started to like you! Why would you do this? Why?”

Tears started to come down Kibum’s cheeks. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry, Minho. I couldn’t-“

“I don’t even want to listen.” He didn’t let Kibum go on, interrupting him again. “Don’t ever come close to me or my kids again.”

“Appa…” Soo Jin cried, looking between her father and Kibum. “What do you mean?”

“We won’t be seeing Key hyung again?” Minki asked, tears in his eyes.

“No. And now, let’s go home.”

Both kids started to cry while looking at Kibum who was still too shocked to do something. Minho dragged them both out of the park and only when they couldn’t be seen, did Kibum started to realize what had happened. Taemin was still by his side calling his name but he couldn’t even find the strength to answer him.

Everything felt wrong.

 

A not so happy chapter this time.

Minho knows and, unlike the others, he didn't take the news well. We'll see what happens from now on.