Eleven

Two Different Worlds

Jinki was still admiring his new scarf when Jonghyun parked in front of his house. He had seen scarfs before, but it never caught his attention because he didn’t understand what was the point about wearing something around the neck. But now that he has one, he was thinking about buy some more.

“Thank you for the ice cream, it wasn’t that bad.” Jinki said, preparing himself to get out of the car.

“I told you.” Jonghyun grabbed Jinki’s arm, pulling him, and showing his phone. “Hum… Can we take a photo?”

“I’m not really…Hm, I don’t like photos. And Key’s waiting for me” He tried to escape just to be pulled again.

“I just need 20 seconds of your time!” Jonghyun showed his puppy eyes and, noticing that it wasn’t working, tried his best smile. “Please. I just need my muse with me when you’re not around.”

Onew gave up on arguing, knowing that there was nothing he could do to get out of the car without doing what Jonghyun was asking. He just stayed where he was, waiting for him to take the picture. After five seconds of an awkward silence, Jinki glanced at the boy sat next to him, who was showing an interrogative expression.

“What?”

“Well… I didn’t know that… Okay, I’ll explain it to you! To take a photo you need to-“

“Hey!” Jinki interrupted, widening his eyes in shock. “I know what a photo is and I know what to do to take a photo.”

“Then why are you so far from me? There’s no way you’re going to appear!” Jonghyun tried to explain, grabbing his phone and looking at the screen, where only his image appeared. “You see? You need to come closer!”

Jinki wasn’t that comfortable about invading other people’s personal space, but he did as he was said and moved a little until he started to appear in the phone’s screen. When he glanced at Jonghyun, almost gasped because of the proximity between them but noticed that the other boy still wasn’t satisfied. This time, Onew decided that, if he had to come closer, it would be better not looking at Jonghyun. Just focus on the camera in front of him. However, when he was totally appearing on the screen, Jonghyun dropped the phone.

“Onew.” He started, closing his eyes and shaking his head. “What are you doing?”

“Me? I was taking the picture! And I was closer than before, as you said!”

“Yes, that’s right.” Jonghyun said, opening his eyes and looking at him. “Showing the best expression ever… If you were in a Halloween party! You need to smile! You just stood there, as if you have seen a ghost or something!”

“Oh, I’m sorry! I was concentrated in appearing on the screen! Can we just give up on this? I need to go home.”

“No! Come here!” Jonghyun said, passing his arm around his shoulders and pulling him really close. “Now you need to smile! Just think about something funny!” He stretched his free arm, holding his phone, and smiled at the camera. However, when he looked at Jinki, noticed that his smile wasn’t genuine. It looked like a kid who did something wrong and was terrified with the idea of telling his parents about it so he tried his best guilty-smile. Not knowing what to do, Jonghyun decided to tickle him.

Jinki wasn’t expecting it because he was really concentrated in the camera again. So, when he felt tickled he laughed so hard that he just leaned on Jonghyun’s shoulder and tried, without success, to calm down. Jonghyun took the opportunity to take the picture, which surprised Jinki. The latter one stayed as he was, shocked, until he noticed a car passing really close and too slowly next to Jonghyun’s door.

Inside, Kibum was moving his eyebrows and Jinki noticed that Minho was trying really hard not to laugh. Feeling weird, he looked at Jonghyun, expecting him to be as embarrassed as he was, but the later one was looking at the window, waving.

“I think I need to go now. You see, Key arrived.” Jinki said, excusing himself and getting out of the car, ignoring Jonghyun’s protests. When he closed the door, Kibum was already running to him but not before waving Minho goodbye.

“Hi.” Jinki greeted, waving both Jonghyun and Minho goodbye so he could not look at Kibum for a few seconds.

“How was your afternoon?” Kibum asked, moving his eyebrows as he did before and hitting him with his elbow. “You had fun? You didn’t tell me you were going out today.”

Jinki groaned due to the teasing and began to walk faster than his friend, leaving him behind. He climbed the stairs and twisted the key on the door as fast as he could but Kibum caught up with him and kept giggling behind his back.

“What?” He snapped, tired of hearing the other. “It’s not like you have moral to talk. You went out with Minho too.”

“Oh, no, I didn’t. He just gave me a ride from work since it was snowing and all.” Kibum said, coughing and stripping from his jacket. “That’s all.”

“Yeah? Well, your shift ended two hours ago.”

Kibum chuckled but it was too forced. “Oh, you know… It was the traffic. There was a lot of traffic.”

“Right.” Jinki nodded, rolling his eyes. “Where did you two go?”

“I told you already. Minho just gave me a ride from the café.” He explained again as he walked to the kitchen trying to not maintain eye contact with Jinki. “It took a while because there was traffic.”

“I think he’s lying.” A third voice said. “His shift ended two hours ago. I know. I’ve been counting.”

“For god’s sake, Kyungsoo!” Jinki shrieked, putting his hand on his chest to calm his heart. “You need to stop doing that.”

Kyungsoo got up from the floor and walked to them. “It’s about time you get use to the fact that I’m living here or you’ll end up being scared to death. Where were you two? I’m starved! You don’t take care of me.”

“Well, you’re a grown demon…” Kibum started but then looked at him and arched his eyebrow. “Or man. Either way! You can take care of yourself.”

He huffed and pouted, returning to his place on the ground. Jinki and Kibum followed his steps and then looked at each other, shrugging. Kibum returned his attention to the fridge, trying to figure out what they could heat in the microwave, always under Jinki’s eyes. They were following his every move and he was getting rather sick of it. So when he finally put some rice in the microwave, he turned to Jinki and stared back at him.

After a few minutes, the other one sighed. “I can’t do this anymore. Will you tell me where you went with Minho?”

“Will you tell me where you went with the lover boy?”

Onew’s eyes grew a bit in size. “Don’t call him that! But fine. I’ll tell you.”

A few moments passed and neither of them said anything.

“Well?”

Kibum smiled, exanimating his nails. “You go first.”

Jinki sighed in frustration and it took all his inner control to not to throw anything at Kibum. “Fine, fine! We just went to eat ice cream. There! Are you happy now?”

“Ice cream? In this weather?” He arched one of his brows, in disbelief. “Do you think I’m buying that story?”

Jinki’s mouth fell open in an unattractive angle. Why couldn’t Kibum believe in him when he was telling the truth?

“Believe it or not, it’s the true, Kibum. I heard their conversation, they really went for ice cream.”

“Shut up, Kyungsoo!” The both of them yelled at the same time and then Jinki continued. “Now that I’ve told you, can I know your secret?”

“We went to play a game.” He said, casually, turning off the microwave and taking the recipient with their food out, hissing when he touched it. “This burns. Ouch, ouch! Move, Jinki, I need to pass and this thing is burning my fingers!” He almost tossed it on the table and then sighed. “Dinner’s on the table, kids. Let’s eat.”

“We don’t have kids.”

Kyungsoo almost sprinted from his place on the floor to the table, sitting down on the chair and smiling at Kibum.  “I’m ready.”

“See what I’m talking about when I say kids?” Kibum asked Onew with a knowing look, dragging a chair so that he could sit on it too. “Come on, sit down and eat. Or are you too full from the ice cream?”

When Jinki glared at him, Kibum couldn’t hold it in anymore and laughed, dragging an innocent Kyungsoo with him. The two demons laughed at Jinki while the latter sulked and ate the whole dinner without a word. At the end, feeling guilty Kibum let him have a fair share of the cheesecake he had brought from the café some days ago and by the time Jinki ended it, he was smiling again.

 

Hi everyone! I'm sorry for taking so long to update :( I had a lot of things to do for college so I couldn't come here. 

Anyway, here's the chapter! I hope you like it and see you next time. Hopefully it will not take as long :)