Eighteen

Two Different Worlds

“Kibum. Kibum, wake up.”

The demon felt his arm being shook and swatted the hand that was holding it away. He turned to the other side and hoped that whomever that was calling him went away. There wasn’t such luck for him, though. His body was shaken and he growled, putting the covers on top of him. “Go away.”

“Come on, wake up!” Someone said, still shaking him. “I need to tell you something.”

Grumbling, Kibum pushed the covers away and turned to the side from where the voice was coming, seeing Kyungsoo looking at him. “What do you want?”

“You’re back to your old days?”

“What?”

“There’s a dead human on our couch.” He said, nonchalantly.

“A dead human?” Kibum repeated, sitting on the bed. “WHAT? What have you done?”

“Me? I did nothing. You, on the other hand…”

Kibum pushed the other aside and got up from the bed. He looked for something to wear and quickly walked to the living room. What would Minho say if he saw a dead human in their house? If it happened there was no hope for them. “I’ve never killed a human before, Kyungsoo, I’ve told you this.” He searched everywhere but the only person in the room besides them was Minho. Kibum sighed, realizing that Kyungsoo was talking about him. “And that’s just Minho.”

“The handsome single dad?” Kyungsoo asked, looking at the sleeping body. “You got so far on your relationship that he even sleeps on our couch now? Why didn’t you take him to your bed?”

Kibum rolled his eyes and walked to the front of the couch, fixing the comforter, trying to not wake him up. “Just shut up.”

“Why?”

“Kyungsoo, go to sleep.”

Seeing how the other was becoming really mad, the demon smirked and patted his back. “Alright! See you in a few hours. Try not to do anything nasty.”

“Just go!” Kibum yelled, pushing him away, staring at him until he disappeared into Jinki’s room. Since he raised his voice, Minho stirred and began to blink his eyes, looking around. When he looked up at Kibum, his stared hardened. “Sorry. How’s your head?”

“Don’t touch me.” He snapped, when the other was about to help him sit. He tried to ignore the way Key flinched. “What am I doing here?”

“You ended up here last night.” Kibum explained, passing him the cup of water and the pill he had prepared last night. “I let you sleep, you were in no condition of driving.”

Minho sighed and looked at his hands, putting the pill on his mouth and swallowing it. “It was that bad?”

“Yes.” Nodding, Kibum sat on the edge of the couch. “Minho, listen, I-“

“If you’re going to try to explain, don’t bother, Key.”

“Kibum.”

“What?” He asked, confused.

“My real name is Kibum, not Key.”

Minho snorted, rolling his eyes and got up from the couch. “Even your name was a lie? I can’t believe this.”

Kibum got up too and watched as Minho picked his jacket from the floor and putted it on. He began to walk to the door and the demon followed him, trying to talk to him. “Minho, if you just listen to me…”

“So you can tell me more lies? No, thanks.”

“Why don’t you give me a chance to tell you the truth?” Kibum pleaded, grabbing his arm. “I’ll tell you everything and, if you don’t believe it, you can ask you brother or Taemin.”

“My brother knows the truth?” It was his first question. Was everyone lying to him? “What about Onew?”

“He’s just like me.” Kibum said, sadly.

“I can’t believe this. I must be dreaming.” He clenched his fists, gasping and shaking his head. “Have you all been lying to me? What is wrong with you?”

“Minho, please-“

“No. I can’t listen to this.” He interrupted Kibum, putting a hand up to stop him. “I have to go home now because who knows what creatures like you do to little children.”

At that point, Kibum's limit was reached. Yes, they had lied to him. Yes, all of them knew besides him. But what right did he had to say those mean things? Nor he or Jinki had done anything to harm humans, let alone Soo Jin and Minki. Both of them had grown attached to the kids and were incapable of doing something to hurt them.

“Listen to what you’re saying!” He snapped in rage. “We’ve known each other for months. Onew stayed with Soo Jin and Minki almost all weekends! We would never do anything to harm them. What do you think we are?”

“That’s the problem, Key!” Minho also raised his voice. “I don’t know what you two are because none of you bothered to tell me! So excuse me if I fear for the safety of my children when two people that I thought I knew, who are not even human, take care of them!”

Kibum sighed, exasperated and threw his hands up in the air. “God, this was not supposed to happen. None of this!”

“What are you talking about?”

“Nothing makes sense!” He cried, shaking his head, turning his back on Minho. “Why do I… Why do I feel these things when I’m with you? Why? I’m not supposed to have feelings. I’m not even supposed to be here! Why did you have to make everything so complicated?”

“You’re not making any sense. I’m going home.”

At that, Kibum turned around and stopped Minho, one more time. “No! Please, don’t go.”

“Why should I stay here?”

He reached out to grab his arm again. “Minho, please-“

“I already told you to not touch me.”

He huffed and grabbed Minho’s hand even if he tried to stop him. “Minho, look at me!” He asked and the human did as he said. “Do you think if I were to hurt you, I would do it now? After all this months?”

Minho looked at him, to his eyes. He could see the sincerity in them. “No.”

“Then why don’t you listen to what I have to say?” Kibum asked, going as far as to put his hand on Minho’s cheek, it. The human was still so tense but he was gradually calming down and so they were left to stare at each other.

“Key…” He called, in a whisper, leaning in.

“Yes?” The demon let his hand slowly fall from Minho’s face until it was on his chest. His heart was beating so fast that he broke the eye contact to look at his hand. “Are you okay? What’s going on?”

When Minho began to chuckle, Kibum was even more confused. While laughing, the human took a step forward and stood closer to him, making him widen his eyes with the proximity. His hands set themselves on Minho’s shoulders and he pushed him back a little. With that, Minho regained his sense and looked at Kibum again.

“Hey, Ke-Kibum?” He only hummed in response. “Can I do something?”

The demon could see how Minho alternated his gaze from his eyes to somewhere lower. “What?”

“Can I?”

“I’m not letting you do anything if you don’t tell me what you want.” Kibum said, blinking.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Minho leaned in a little more, hearing Kibum’s breath hitch, like he was afraid.

Kibum was frozen in place, without knowing what to do. His heart was racing in his chest, his hands were sweating and he couldn’t help but shiver when Minho interlaced his fingers on his head, scraping his horns. He closed his eyes and sighed because the feeling was so nice. Minho took the opportunity and joined their mouths. However, it didn’t last long because Kibum leaned back as soon as he felt something on his lips. He stared, wide eyed, at Minho with his mouth agape. Before he could say anything, though, he felt his horns itching. There was a strange sensation on his head, like something was pressing it.

 

He grabbed his head and squeezed his eyes shut. “Not again.”

“They’re… they’re getting smaller.” Minho whispered to him, making him open his eyes.

“What?”

Minho’s stare was on top of his head. “They’re getting smaller.”

“What’s happening?” He asked, in disbelief, to no one in particular. “Am I going to die?”

There was a scoff and both of them looked at the sound’s direction. Kyungsoo was seating on the table with his chin supported by his hand and he looked at them with a knowing grin. “You’re not going to die, Kibum.”

“Then what’s happening to me?”

“Since you’re accepting some human traits, your body is going back to its human form.”

“What? What does that mean?”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and sighed. “You’re finally letting yourself feel.” He explained but the other two just stared at him like he had grown another head. “You’re in love, Kibum. It’s as simple as that.”