Twenty One

Two Different Worlds

When Jinki and Kibum opened the door to their house, they expected the inside to be exactly as they left it. But that wasn’t the case. Kyungsoo was running from one side to another with his hands on his head and was putting everything out of place. It seemed like he wanted to find something but in the middle of the mess he was doing, it was going to be almost impossible.

Kibum and Jinki exchange a look between them and them the younger one took a step forward, clearing his throat which made the demon stop whatever he was doing and look at them.

“Kyungsoo? What are you doing?” Key asked, expecting some nonsense to come from his mouth. “Hello?”

“I’m glad you’re finally here.” He said, looking from Kibum to Jinki with a straight face. “I think they are opening the Gate. Like, right now.”

“What are you talking about?” This was Jinki’s turn to talk. “How do you know that?”

“I was in the kitchen and I saw something, I don’t know how to explain it. But I’m pretty sure they’re going to open it today. I was about to call you guys.”

“What? How can you be so sure?”

“I just feel it. Believe me, we’re going home today.” He looked at the two of them and sighed. “You better start saying your goodbyes.”

Kibum watched him leave the living room and then looked at Jinki who was by his side and still hadn’t said anything. “Jinki…” He called, seeing the other was not showing any reaction. “Jinki.”

“I... Why…”

“You have to call Jonghyun. You have to tell him.”

Jinki shook his head and took a step away from Kibum’s hands. “No. No, I can’t.”

“He deserves to know, you have to tell him.”

“Like you’ve told Minho?”

At the mention of Minho’s name, Kibum lowered his head. “I’ll call him.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-“

“No, you’re right. I need to tell him.” He picked his phone from his pants’ pocket. “But first I need to talk to Taemin. You call Jonghyun.”

Jinki shook his head again. “I won’t call him. If I do, I won’t be able to leave.”

“But-“

“Kibum, no. I’ll stand by what I said, I won’t call him.” He said, with a tone of finality. “Now, I’ll leave you alone so you can do your calls.”

When Jinki left the room, Kibum’s hands started to shake. Suddenly, he wasn’t sure if calling Taemin and Minho would be a good idea anymore. Minho didn’t know anything, he was probably going to be mad at him and Kibum was going away with a guilty conscience. But if he didn’t call, he would feel even worse.

Searching for Taemin’s number on his contact list, he breathed deeply and decided that he had to do it. He promised Taemin that he would call and he wasn’t someone who broke his promises.

When Taemin picked up, his voice was full of sleep. “Hello?”

“Taemin?”

“Hyung? Why are you calling this late? Is everything okay?”

“I’m leaving.”

He heard some rustling on the other side and then: “What?”

“I’m… I’m leaving, Taemin.”

“But…” He paused. “You mean, right now?”

Kibum pressed his lips together and nodded but only then he realized it was useless. “Yeah, they’re opening the gate.”

“Hyung, calm down! I’ll get dressed and then I’ll come meet you at your house.”

“No, Taemin, you don’t understand. There’s no time. I just wanted you to know that… I’m really glad I met you, okay? Never forget that.”

“Wait-“

“I know I shouldn’t ask you to do this but I don’t if I’ll have time to talk to him.”

“Hyung, no-“

“Tell Minho that he was…” Kibum struggled with what he said next because he knew he would hurt Taemin’. “Tell him that he and the twins were the best thing that happen to me. They taught me how to love and care. Please Taemin, I know this is too much, but I beg of you-“

“I’ll do it, hung. You can rest assure.”

“Thank you. Thank you, Taemin. For everythi-“

“KIBUM!” Jinki called seeing the black hole starting to form in front of his eyes before he could end his sentence. “You need to hurry.”

“I have to go.” He muttered and heard Taemin sniffle on the other side. “Bye, Taemin.”

He hung up before Taemin could say another word and his eyes started to sting and his visions blurred as he searched for Minho’s number. When he found it, he pressed his lips tightly together and stared at the group of numbers until he felt a hand on his shoulder, giving him a reassuring squeeze.

“Do it now, Kibum, or you won’t have the time.”

He nodded and pressed into the screen, starting the call. He took the phone to his hear and waited, almost without moving, for Minho to pick up. Kibum prayed that he wasn’t already asleep and his prayers were answered when Minho’s familiar deep voice reached his ears.

“Kibum?” He called, chuckling. “Sorry for taking so long to pick up but the kids are restless. So, what’s up? Why are you calling?”

“I love you.”

There was silence on the other side until he heard Minho called Jonghyun. “Watch them for a while, I have to take this call in private.” Kibum waited till there was no more noise in the back to hear Minho talk again. “So…”

“I wanted to tell you that, I… Minho, I’m leaving.”

“You’re leaving? What? Where are you going?” Minho asked, stopping when he realized what Kibum was trying to say. “No. You can’t.”

“I don’t have much time to talk, I just needed to tell you.” He explained, only receiving silence as an answer. “Minho, I’ll come back to you. I’ll try everyday until I find a way.”

“How long will it take? What am I going to tell the kids?” Minho kept asking questions for which Key had no answers yet.

“I don’t know, I…” Key said, noticing that the black hole was getting bigger. “Just don’t forget me.”

“Of course I won’t. Can we meet before you go?”

“I don’t have time, the gate is opening right now, I think I have just a few minutes.” He said, tears rolling down his face. “But we’ll meet as soon as I come back.” He assured, ignoring Jinki’s whispers telling him he couldn’t know if he would come back again.

“Promise me!” Minho said, his voice a whisper. When Kibum promised, he decided to say his farewells before it was too late. “Kibum?”

“Yes?” Key answered at the same time that Jinki pulled him and he, Jinki and Kyungsoo disappeared through the Gate, leaving the phone on the floor.

“I love you too.”

 

Hi guys, I'm back!

I'm sorry that you had to wait so much for an update but this chapter wasn't easy to write. I hope you like it anyways.

Let's hope the next update won't take so much.

As always, thansk for reading, subscribing and commenting <3