One

Two Different Worlds

Three months had passed and, after trying a million times to open The Gate, they decided it would be good if they started to find a place to work on Earth. The language barrier wasn’t that difficult to overcome because they learned really fast how to pronounce it and the meaning of the words and, for Kibum – that now went by Key -, finding a job was as easy as talk fluent Korean. He was working in a café and he was so good that, in the current month, he received extra money. Meanwhile, Onew was at home, trying to open The Gate and trying to find a job. None of the things were going well.

“Hi Key-hyung! “ A voice was heard, before a five years old child entered the café, running. “I want an orange juice, please.”

“Hello Minki, how are you? Are you alone?”

“No. My sister, my dad and my uncle are coming! But I was thirsty.”

“Hum, very well, here’s your orange juice.” He said, giving the glass to the boy and looking at the door when two men and a little girl entered.

The four were regular customers. Minho, the dad, was a tall man and had big, round eyes that made him look like a foreign. His skin tone was also a bit darker than usual and his brown hair was usually styled up. The other man, Jonghyun, was Minho’s brother but was a lot smaller than him. His brown eyes were also round and big but not as big as his brother’s; and his hair was almost white. Not because he was old but because he liked that color on him.

“Soo Jin, come on. Let go of my leg and stop hiding behind me.” Minho said, looking at his daughter. “Come on. Look at your brother! He already got his drink.”

“Come here princess!” Jonghyun held his niece and lifted her in the air, making her giggle. “Your father needs to learn with me.” He added, laughing when Minho hit his head.

“Jonghyun, be careful! “ Minho exclaimed, walking towards the counter, while Jonghyun tickled his daughter.

“You look tired.” Key said, smiling, and pointing to the cups of coffee. When Minho nodded, he started to prepare it.

“Yeah, I’m exhausted.” Minho mourned, looking at his son, seeing him running around. “I don’t know how he does it. The training was tiring today. Especially for me! The kids never stop.” 

“The perks of being a coach.” Key joked, serving the coffee. “Anything else?”

“Maybe a toast and a glass of milk.” Minho assumed, glancing at his daughter. “She was asking it. For my brother I have no idea.”

“Okay, Taemin will ask him soon.” Key said, referring to the boy who works in the café with him. He was thinking about what to say since Minho was still at the counter looking at him, when his phone started to ring. “Excuse me.”He picked the phone and looked at the screen, seeing who was calling. Jinki. “Yes?”

“Kibum, you won’t believe but I think I already know how to open The Gate!”

“Yeah, you’re right. I don’t believe it.”

“But it’s true! I spent the whole day trying and I think that, if you help me, maybe we can open it!”

“You said that a million times before and it never worked. Have you found a job?”

“Hum, no.” Onew laughed, uncomfortable, continuing before giving a chance to Key to grumble. “But if we open The Gate, I don’t need to find one!”

“Of course you need!” Kibum almost yelled. “Now I have to go. The café is crowded. Bye, see you later. Look for a job!” He disconnected the call and went back to the counter.

Noticing that Taemin was too busy serving the customers, Kibum decided to help him. He collected the orders and began to prepare them. Then, he looked for a cloth and started to clean the tables that were empty. When he was cleaning the table next to Minho’s, he heard him complaining to Jonghyun about needing to find someone to take care of the kids when he couldn’t. The conversation rang a bell on Key’s head.

“Sorry but I heard your conversation.” The blond said, running a hand through his hair, embarrassed. “Do you need someone? To take care of your children, that is.”

“Yes. Do you know someone?” Minho asked, smiling. “I was a bit reluctant about leaving them with a stranger.”

“There’s a friend of mine who is looking for a job. I’m sure that he would love to do it.” Key suggested, thinking that Onew was going to kill him when he knew.

“That would be great! When can I meet him?” Minho inquired, seeing Kibum widening his eyes. “Sorry, but… I kind of need him in three days. Jonghyun has an appointment and I can’t be home too, so there’s no one to take care of the kids.”

“Hum, right.” Key nodded, swallowing. “I’ll give you his number and you can call him later. Maybe around ten.” So he would have time to talk to him first. “Here, the number. And his name is Onew.”

“Thank you so much, Key!” Minho grabbed the piece of paper, putting it on his pocket.

Key smiled and returned to the counter, thinking about what he just did. What if Onew had really find a way to open The Gate?

“Taemin!” Key called, seeing the young boy run towards him. “You can go now. I’ll clean everything and close the café.”

“But there are a lot of things to do, and it’s getting late.” Taemin said, confused. “Are you sure you don’t need help?”

“Yeah, don’t worry.”

“Okay, I’ll finish what I’m doing and I’ll go then.”

Key nodded, smiling and patting Taemin’s shoulder, making the other blush.

The later he gets home, the better. He just had to arrive before ten, he thought before going to the kitchen, once all the costumers were served.

At that moment, a man entered the café, running, looking around as if was looking for someone. Jonghyun noticed him as soon as he entered, stop hearing what his nephew and his niece were saying. The kids gave up and ran to Minho’s lap, while Jonghyun got up and walked towards the stranger.

“I found it! My muse!” Jonghyun shrieked, making the boy widened his eyes, scared.

“I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say but I’m not comfortable with this.” He said, walking backwards until he collided with someone.

“Oh, hi Onew hyung!” Taemin greeted, when he turned and saw who had crushed with him. “You came to see Key?”

“Y-yes. Is he inside? Can I go there?”

“Sorry.” Minho said, getting up and walking towards Onew since he was paying attention to the conversation since his brother had yelled. “Are you Onew?”

“Yes.” He confirmed, still confused. What was happening in the Café that day?

“Oh, sorry. Your friend, Key… He said that you were looking for a job. I mean… I think it’s you because your name isn’t very common so…”

“Yes, it might be me. I am actually looking for a job.”

“Great! My name’s Minho and those two over there are my children.” Minho said, making Onew look at the kids sitting on the table. “And I really need someone to take care of them.”

“Oh, I-“

“Key said you would love to do it so… Can you take care of them in three days?”

“Hum… I…” Onew started, making a note on his head to kill Kibum later. “Sure.” He agreed, thinking that if he could open The Gate before that, it wouldn’t be a problem.

“Thank you! I have your number so I’ll call you to discuss the details.”

“Sure.” Onew repeated, faking a smile and walking towards the kitchen. In his way to the room, he heard the boy who had run to him when he entered screaming Oh my God, he’s the one who will take care of your kids! as if he had won the lottery.

“Kibum!” Onew exclaimed as soon as he saw the blond. “I’m ignoring what you did because I’m really positive about The Gate this time. Come closer to me!”

“Hello, it’s nice to see you too. What are you doing?” Kibum feigned ignorance when he saw the other with his arms up, pointing to the roof.       

“Stretch your arms, Kibum! And close your eyes, imagining The Gate.”

“You know it will never work, right?”

“Just do as I say! You need to believe it, okay? Imagine The Gate, for real.”

Kibum did as he said but, after some minutes, he gave up, putting his arms down. However, Onew continued as he was, looking totally focused. Almost twenty minutes had passed when he finally gave up and opened his eyes, seeing a bored Kibum with his arms crossed, looking at him.

“You don’t believe it! That’s why I can’t open The Gate.”

“It has nothing to do with it. I didn’t believe when you opened it the first time either and we ended here, on Earth.” Kibum said, turning around, rolling his eyes.

“You know what does it mean, Kibum?”

“What?”

“That I will have to take care of those kids in three days!”

 

Here's the first one! Hope you like it :)