Twelve

Two Different Worlds

“Oppa, are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m… just a bit itchy?” Kibum answered Hyuna’s question a little confused. He had been feeling weird since morning but somehow the symptoms were getting stronger.

“If you’re feeling bad, you can go home, hyung.” Taemin said, having overheard their exchange. “We can take care of it alone.”

“No, no.” Kibum shook his head. “I’ll just take a little break and come back, okay?”

“Yes, take your time.”

Kibum nodded and ­walked to the backroom of the café were they exchanged to their working clothes. He went to the sink and splashed some water onto his face, feeling fresher. He didn’t know what was wrong with him but he had read, while studying humans, that sometimes they felt sick so maybe that’s what was happening to him. Jinki had had to feign sickness some days ago and everyone seemed to buy it so it was a normal thing between humans.

He looked at the mirror and his eyeballs almost jumped out. His skin was paler than before and his eyes were turning reddish. His black hair was turning white in some places and he could feel his horns starting to rise on each side of his head.

Kibum gulped, without knowing what to do. How was he supposed to go out there in that state? His demon appearance was practically showing and he couldn’t do anything to stop it. He searched for his phone and dialed Jinki’s number.

“Hello?”

“Jinki, I’m a demon!” He said, upon hearing the other’s voice.

“Huh, yes.” Jinki said, confused. “I know that and normally you know it too. Are you drunk?”

“No, no, no. You don’t understand.” Kibum panicked, walking from a place to another in the tiny space. “I’m turning into a demon. Into my original form!”

“What?” Jinki screamed into the phone. “Why? How?”

“I don’t know, I’m freaking out! What I’m-“

“Key-hyung, are you alright? Do you need help?”

Kibum stopped moving the moment he heard Taemin’s voice outside of the door. Jinki continued talking and asking questions but he didn’t answer him, to focused on Taemin and how everything would go wrong if he saw him in that moment.

“Hyung? Can I come in?”

“NO!” He yelled, running to the door. “I mean, no. I’m . Don’t come in.”

Kibum could swear he heard Taemin gulping before he answered him. “Okay, hyung. I’ll just wait here until you feel better.”

“Thank you, Taemin.” He sighed, leaning his back on the door, closing his eyes. “Onew, you’re still there?”

“I am but I think I’m going to hang up since you’re .”

“Don’t be stupid, I’m not.” Kibum rolled his eyes and walked to the mirror again. Picking a white strand from his hair, he sighed. “What am I going to do?”

“You’ll have to wait to see if it goes back to normal.”

“What if it doesn’t?” He asked, afraid. “You need to come here and bring me something to cover my head.”

“I’m going to see what I can do.” Jinki sighed into the phone. “Don’t worry, okay? We’ll get through this.”

“Yeah, I know.” Kibum agreed but gulped. They stayed in absolute silence until the demon chuckled. “Wait, I have an idea!” He exclaimed, running to the door again. “Taemin! Taemin, are you there?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Call Jonghyun! He needs to come here.”

“What?” The two voices said at the same time. “What do you need Jonghyun for?”

“Just tell him to come here, please!” Kibum urged. “It’s urgent!”

He heard Taemin’s rushed footsteps and felt a smile crept up to his face. He was sure that he had resolved his problem.

“Why did you need Jonghyun when you’re ?”

“What? Jinki, I’m not , it was an excuse for Taemin.” Kibum rolled his eyes, shaking his head at the same time. “But… wait. Are you jealous?”

“Jealous? Of what? Of course not!” He sounded totally outranged. “Just…” Jinki cleared his throat. “Just be careful of what you’re going to do, okay?”

“Yeah, right.” Kibum snorted. “Goodbye Jinki.”

He putted his phone on his back pocket and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Kibum quickly hid himself behind it and pressed his ear on it, trying to hear something from the outside.

“Jonghyun? Is that you?” He asked, after a while.

“Didn’t you call for me?” The human forced the knob. “Why isn’t the door opening?”

“I need your help!”

He heard Jonghyun sigh. “For that you gotta let me in. And fast! Taemin is looking at me like he’s ready to kill me.”

Rolling his eyes, the demon opened the door, still hidden behind it, and pulled Jonghyun inside.

“Holy god!” He screamed and took a step back, away from Kibum. “What are you?”

“Shut up, you dumb man! I’m turning back to my original form. I need you to help me.”

Still standing far from the other, Jonghyun frowned. “How am I supposed to do that? Oh my god, you’re so weird!” He exclaimed, again. “Are those horns in your head?”

“Yes. They are but-“

“Is Jinki like that too?” Jonghyun suddenly asked, very interested.

The demon rolled his eyes, sighing. “Yes, he is but Jonghyun-“

“Is he like you or does he have some different traits?”

“It doesn’t matter now!” Tired of being interrupted, Kibum yelled. “You need to bring me a beanie and take me home. I can’t let anyone see me like this.”

Jonghyun nodded, afraid. Kibum was even scarier like this. “I think I have one of mine in the car.”

“Great. Go get it.” He demanded.

“What will I say to people?”

Key faked a cry and huffed. “You don’t have to say anything. Just go, Jonghyun, please.”

After ten minutes, which actually felt like forever for Kibum, Jonghyun came back holding in his hand a beanie. Kibum took it and went to the mirror, trying to get it right in his head.

“Taemin is going to kill me, for sure. “He heard Jonghyun saying, behind him. “And my brother too, by the way.”

At the mention of Minho, he turned back. “Your brother? Is he here too?”

“He is and he’s not happy right now. With me, particularly.” Jonghyun emphasized. “He’s not happy with me and it scares me.”

“Why are you afraid of your brother? Aren’t you the older one? Isn’t that supposed to give you advantages?”

“Have you seen my brother? There aren’t really advantages when I’m this size.”

“I guess you’re right.” Kibum shrugged and then finished getting ready. “Okay, how do I look?”

“Still weird, to be honest.”

“But better? Can I go out there without raising suspicions?”

“I think you do. Let’s try it!”

They opened the door and walked out together only to find Taemin waiting for them, leaning on the wall. When he saw Kibum, he quickly stood straight and smiled.

“Oh, Taemin. You’re here.”

“Hyung, I was worried.” He said, pouting. “Are you okay? Do you need something?”

“I’m not feeling good. Can I go home?” Kibum faked a cough and put on a tired expression.

“Of course!” Taemin immediately agreed, bouncing his head up and down. “Do you need me to take you?”

“Ah, no, that should be me.” Jonghyun interrupted, grinning.

Taemin eyed him and snorted. “Why you?”

“Easy there, Taemin. I’m just trying to help him, okay?”

The demon decided to meddle and smiled at Taemin, ruffling his hair. “Thank you for letting me go home. I’ll see you tomorrow, Taemin.”

**

“Why isn’t he opening the door? There are two people in this house and- Oh, thankfully! I was about to-“

Kibum’s words died on his throat when Onew took a step forward until there was almost no space between his body and Jonghyun’s and leaned in, letting his lips fall on Jonghyun’s. His eyes were ready to jump out at the scene. His mouth fell open and he just didn’t gasp because he was too shocked to do anything.

Apparently, Jonghyun was in the same state.

When Onew pulled back, his big eyes were wide open and he kept looking forward without really seeing anything. He blinked, trying to focus his vision and opened his mouth, only to close it a few seconds later. He opened it again but no sound came out and he just frowned, still very confused. He looked at Key, trying to find an explanation but the other one just shrugged, also in the dark about this whole situation.

“Why are you two so quiet?” Jinki asked after a while. “Was it because of what I did?”

Kibum gaped and scoffed. “Well, yeah, obviously. What went through your head?”

“But… Kyungsoo… He told me… He told me I should do this.” Jinki explained, also frowning. When he looked at Jonghyun, the human quickly averted his gaze. “Jonghyun, was it bad? I shouldn’t have done it?”

Jonghyun blushed even more and kept looking at the ground. “It’s-it’s not that. It’s just that I wasn’t, I wasn’t expecting it.”

“But that’s what they do on television.” He quirked an eyebrow. “You know? After they go out… They kiss and…”

“Okay, let’s finish the conversation inside, please?” Key said, interrupting them, tired of standing in the doorway. “In case you haven’t noticed, we have a much urgent matter in hands.” He said, removing his beanie and pointing to his head. “Look at this! It’s white in some parts and there are horns! They won’t go away! What am I going to do?”

“You keep on using those?” Jonghyun asked, stripping from his jacket, still refusing to look at Onew. “I can borrow you some.”

“And what will happen in the summer? How will I wear them?”

“Let’s just hope that we won’t be here when summer starts.” Kyungsoo said, appearing out of nowhere, as usual. He was a spoon of ice cream. “These were really good. Thank you Jonghyun-ssi.”

“You’re welcome. And what do you mean you won’t be here in summer?”

Kibum huffed. “Just ignore him! Please, we need to think of solutions for this problem.”

“Why doesn’t Jonghyun-ssi go buy you more of those strange things you had in your head? That way you can hide your horns… As for your hair, you should probably dye it.”

All the three looked at him while he spoke and watched how he went on his way and sat on the couch. Jinki was the first one to talk. “I think that’s a good idea. Jonghyun will go and we can think of what to do with your hair, okay?”

Kibum nodded and rummaged through his wallet for money to give to Jonghyun so that he could buy the things he wanted to. Before he gave it to Jonghyun, he smiled. “Thank you for doing this. I’m serious. You’re helped me a lot and I haven’t even thanked you.”

Jonghyun whistled and took the money that the other was offering him, putting it in his back pocket. “No worries.” He went to the door but paused before opening it. “I just have one thing to say. You should be nice more often. The smile suits you.”

And then he was gone. Kibum and Jinki were left to stare at the door in shock until Jinki scoffed and turned to his friend.

“What was this? I mean, I’m the one who gives him a kiss and you’re the one he compliments?”

Kibum rolled his eyes and patted Jinki on the back, heading to his room. “Just relax, he was just being nice.”

“You too are complimenting him?” He asked, starting to follow Kibum. “What happened between the time you were and you called for him? Something I should know of?”

“Nothing happened, Jinki, and I was not , okay? So just-“ Kibum’s words were interrupted by the bell ringing. He sighed and walk back to the door. “Is he back already? I bet he forgot what he had to buy and is coming back to ask. Such a dumb human, isn’t he?”

“Maybe you shouldn’t open the door like that.” Jinki warned but it was already too late.

Kibum opened the door and was about to nag at Jonghyun but what his eyes met wasn’t who he was expecting. “YOU? What are you doing here?”

 

This one is a little bigger to make up for last time. I hope you're still liking it :)